KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Life after hosting Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Life after hosting
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:13 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
I know a few of you guys on this forum are former hosts and are no longer working for one reason or another. Me and my sweetheart were hosting at one place (hotel lounge) for 8 years and had to give it up 2 years ago. We still have several complete set-ups and have a nice set-up at home for home use. We had to leave the business due to my illness (COPD) and no longer able to do to the set-up and tear down. We were lucky enough to be able to keep our equipment at the former place and just take our computer and hard drive home. 8 years, no problem. New management, end of show. I'd like to hear some of the things you miss, you loved, some strange experiences, the funniest, the most touching, and the high points of hosting. Hope this thread brings some good feeling about being a karaoke host.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Life after hosting
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:15 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
I too, stopped hosting about 3 years ago. I sort of had a big life change, so I made the decision to sell my gear (not my music though). I also had a few other reasons (health and bar owners passing away) to stop hosting. But recently, I have been working hard towards getting back into finding other avenues to use my talents as a host. The song library is almost ready to use, new gear in place and a new look in a custom made DJ booth for any type of venue. Weddings, corporate events, private parties are what I am going to be doing. No more bars unless it's a one time event. I don't miss the late nights at all, I am not getting any younger and I don't want to kill myself off faster by getting home at 3 in the morning.

At this point in time, the money is a real issue, so that is the main reason I am starting up again. But I do miss the time I was spending with the people. Some people are just simply a joy to be around. Most of my singers from my past shows I still consider good friends and I stay in touch in some of them occasionally. One of my old shows was full of incredible talent, several of them could have gone onto singing professionally. I really miss those people a lot.

So, I look forward to being able to get out there again and be the person who can bring a level of fun and excitement to a crowd. It's going to be fun :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
Good to hear. We still have three COMPLETE set ups. We'd love to do it again. Tossing around the idea of hiring someone to help with set up and take down. Only problem, is I'm such a perfectionist, that they'd have to be willing to be trained to do it MY way. If we're gonna do it, we have to do it RIGHT. Again, thanks for your response. GOOD LUCK.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
srnitynow wrote:
Good to hear. We still have three COMPLETE set ups. We'd love to do it again. Tossing around the idea of hiring someone to help with set up and take down. Only problem, is I'm such a perfectionist, that they'd have to be willing to be trained to do it MY way. If we're gonna do it, we have to do it RIGHT. Again, thanks for your response. GOOD LUCK.

8) I have been out of the business now for more than 3 years, full time hosting. I still do private parties and favors for friends and non-profit organizations, that really can't afford to pay a host. Now I just turned 73 and had to face some health issues. Mostly It is just old age and the usual KJ burn out. Then I was working six days a week, sometimes two gigs a day. It does catch up with you and I had a good run for over 18 years. One problem with hiring someone to be a roadie is now the profit margins for gigs is so thin, it really doesn't pay to hire help. The help you get might not be reliable, and then you are stuck with your equipment at a location, and can't get it back home. You have been out for two years and things have changed greatly just in that short time frame. The way I look at it is I was at the top, made my money and got out, while I still could enjoy my retirement with my wife. We are traveling, and it doesn't hurt that she inherited a pile of money. I always worked hard and saved, who needs the hassle of playing every day?

P.S. Not to mention the young eager KJ that is always waiting in the wings to under cut your price, and try and invade your turf!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:50 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
srnitynow wrote:

8) I have been out of the business now for more than 3 years, full time hosting. I still do private parties and favors for friends and non-profit organizations, that really can't afford to pay a host. Now I just turned 73 and had to face some health issues. Mostly It is just old age and the usual KJ burn out. Then I was working six days a week, sometimes two gigs a day. It does catch up with you and I had a good run for over 18 years. One problem with hiring someone to be a roadie is now the profit margins for gigs is so thin, it really doesn't pay to hire help. The help you get might not be reliable, and then you are stuck with your equipment at a location, and can't get it back home. You have been out for two years and things have changed greatly just in that short time frame. The way I look at it is I was at the top, made my money and got out, while I still could enjoy my retirement with my wife. We are traveling, and it doesn't hurt that she inherited a pile of money. I always worked hard and saved, who needs the hassle of playing every day?

P.S. Not to mention the young eager KJ that is always waiting in the wings to under cut your price, and try and invade your turf!

I agree with LR on hiring someone. This day and age the odds of finding someone who is reliable and takes pride in his/her job is very low. Then you top it with the fact that you would be making absolutely no money because you had to pay someone else to be a host. My best suggestion for that is to find an apprentice to just help you set up and tear down. You would only have to pay them a minimum amount or maybe just a few drinks if that worked out. Problem with doing it that way is those type of people won't be very reliable.

What I did is to buy gear that is lightweight and easy to set up (EV Evolve 50's). The hardest part is getting it into the venues. And that I have a really good cart to make the work easier. And the fact that I will only be doing private/corporate shows/weddings. That should make it easier.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:07 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
mrscott wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
srnitynow wrote:

What I did is to buy gear that is lightweight and easy to set up (EV Evolve 50's). The hardest part is getting it into the venues. And that I have a really good cart to make the work easier. And the fact that I will only be doing private/corporate shows/weddings. That should make it easier.

8) Mrscott is right if you have to depend on others, then getting back in this business is not for you. If you have health issues that prevent you from physically moving and setting up your equipment, you should really consider other options. If you still want to try it, you might want to sell some of your excess equipment, and go lighter. I have two riggs not for sale, and a collection of speakers that I"m in the process of selling. I to have gone to a lighter setup at least as far as the single tower speaker system is concerned. My approach is making it like a pocket battleship, small but carrying a big entertainment punch. One other solution is to take the Brian approach and find another venue that will be a long time setup, those are few and far between, however.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:06 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

One of the highlights of my hosting time (I had many tho), was this one time at a show I hosted, there was this group of about 20 people who came in all together. These were non regulars, but some of them became regulars afterwards. Several of them sang (about 8 or 10 or them) and many of those were pretty decent singers too. But there was this one super cute, tiny little gal with a very soft spoken, sweet voice. She was incredibly quiet when she spoke, almost like a mouse...... then she hit the stage,, and I gotta say.. "HOLY CRAP!!". The sound that came from her mouth was totally astounding!! HUGE voice with perfect pitch and microphone technique. She sang this Jennifer Holiday song and just nailed it!! After her performance the entire audience erupted into about a 2 minute standing ovation. The rest of the night I had people asking me when this gal was up again. They kept asking me to swap their turn for hers so she could sing more. (I don't do that tho). The next time she sang,,, same thing all over again.... another standing ovation. Come to find out this girl was in a big Utah contest for singing earlier in the year (non karaoke tho). She came in fourth place. I got the chance to really talk with her during the show and found out that all she really wanted to do was sing for fun, not professionally. I told her she is denying the public of her incredible talent.

It's times like those that made me really truly love my job.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:42 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
mrscott wrote:
I got the chance to really talk with her during the show and found out that all she really wanted to do was sing for fun, not professionally.

I also have a female singer that's got an incredible voice. Star quality. I've encouraged her to peruse her talent but like your singer, she has no interest in doing this professionally. She loves singing and just wants to sing and have fun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
One other solution is to take the Brian approach and find another venue that will be a long time setup, those are few and far between, however.

The "Brian (and Lonman) approach". :)

Locate a dependable, safe venue where you can leave your gear on a perpetual set-up. As I get older, hauling equipment, setting up, and tear down has been challenging for the body.

I am on my 2nd venue with a permanent stationary set-up — five years in the first one, six years running at present.

Easy does it coming to work with nothing to bring with me; hence, stress level is at a minimum - to work for me rather than against me. :D

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:29 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
I don't miss much from my days of doing bar room karaoke. I do miss many of the faces but many of those stuck around after I left and we'd meet up at the bar from time to time. As with most bar patrons, most have moved on or moved away now. I haven't been to a bar for karaoke in almost two years I would guess. Some still gather for private parties every now and then. I'll host a Halloween gathering late in the month as a matter of fact.

I've moved on myself and I'm now a member of a small band. I also sit in with two other groups from time to time. Get this... I wrote a few songs and have karaoke versions of them. So I can perform my originals when I do karaoke! I've also worked on a solo Beach\boat music gig for local marinas and Buffet fan clubs but I've only done parts of it so far. I just never have taken the time to put the whole thing together.

Anyway, stepping away from hosting bar room karaoke doesn't mean it's the end of the line if you don't want it to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
I'd also love to have a permanent set-up somewhere... but I'm also thankful that I haven't had to search for gigs since leaving the mobile DJ scene and switching to karaoke only. I've recently cut back from every Saturday night to every second Saturday at the Moose Lodge where I've been hosting for 9 years. Gives me more time to enjoy my camper and weekend jamborees.

No change to my Thursday night shows where I've been hosting for over 15 years though. I've pretty-much become a permanent fixture there.

Unfortunately, I still have to load in and out for every gig, and that's getting pretty rough for an old fart with a bad back, even with the help of an assistant. I can see some more cut-backs in the not-too-distant future. But, as you've probably heard me say before "I'll only give up hosting completely when they pry the microphone from my cold, dead hands." :cry: :angel:

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:36 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

What's life like after hosting??? ummmmm,,,, more hosting!! lol :dancin: