KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Prices of SC Karaoke Cd's on ebay Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:57 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 111 times
Since I don't do hardly any Karaoke anymore I was checking out ebay for the prices of Sound Choice Karaoke CD's. Over the years some people have always paid a premium to own them. Back a few years ago I thought it was to avoid SC lawsuits. But now haven't seen or heard of any lawsuits in 2-3 years. Thought the prices would drop quite a bit but they really haven't dropped that much!! i was surprised they hadn't dropped more with all the external hard drive that people pick up for peanuts that have all the songs on them.

Just wondering what everybodys thought were on why are people still buying these at a premium when they could get them for alot cheaper on external?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:03 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
sanj wrote:
Since I don't do hardly any Karaoke anymore I was checking out ebay for the prices of Sound Choice Karaoke CD's. Over the years some people have always paid a premium to own them. Back a few years ago I thought it was to avoid SC lawsuits. But now haven't seen or heard of any lawsuits in 2-3 years. Thought the prices would drop quite a bit but they really haven't dropped that much!! i was surprised they hadn't dropped more with all the external hard drive that people pick up for peanuts that have all the songs on them.

Just wondering what everybodys thought were on why are people still buying these at a premium when they could get them for alot cheaper on external?

because buying them on drives is still illegal, and wrong. even without the lawsuits it really is stealing and a lot of us still feel that stealing is wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:50 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

because buying them on drives is still illegal, and wrong. even without the lawsuits it really is stealing and a lot of us still feel that stealing is wrong.[/quote]

There some that would argue that using even the CD's for commercial profit is illegal. That even if hosts own the original cd's they cannot put them on a hard drive to be used in a show, or displayed in a venue. In the end wasn't SC not so much trying to stop the illegal use of their product, as much as wanting to get a cut of the hosts meager profits? They had not really produced any new significant material, they were merely trying to sell protection to hosts. You have a nice little karaoke business, it would be too bad if something happened to it.

P.S. Sorry I messed up the above quotes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:50 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 111 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
sanj wrote:

because buying them on drives is still illegal, and wrong. even without the lawsuits it really is stealing and a lot of us still feel that stealing is wrong.

Yes the thousand and thousands I or you spent on CD+G's would bare out that I think it's wrong, but I also feel we are in the minority on that. Perfect example is everyone complaining for years of having to compete against guys who just bought a external with all the songs on it... Just surprised and glad people are still paying a decent price for the CD's and wondering if anything else was keeping the price steady...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:44 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
sanj wrote:

Yes the thousand and thousands I or you spent on CD+G's would bare out that I think it's wrong, but I also feel we are in the minority on that. Perfect example is everyone complaining for years of having to compete against guys who just bought a external with all the songs on it... Just surprised and glad people are still paying a decent price for the CD's and wondering if anything else was keeping the price steady...

Not so much in a minority but having to face the fact that CD+G's is old technology, that there are more practical means to store the information without having to take hundreds if not thousands to CD+G's to each gig. To have access to the material in the most efficient manner, which can be called up in the shortest period of time, to keep the show moving. There is also the question of if using the paid for material is legal in a commercial setting? Some say it is, others say it is not. I still know a few KJ's that don't use a hard drive, and still bring all of their CD's to their gigs. Their library is just a few thousand songs, but they will play any disc you bring them. There are other hosts that use the loaded hard drives and have 100,000 tracks or more. Both seem to be operating, al least they did before the pandemic. I was the only host that I knew of that used the pre-loaded hard drive player system. Funny most venues liked it because it was sort of a novelty, and the fact that unlike discs that wear out over time, and pc hard drives that crash, I was always able to do my show no problems. Much can be said for reliability. After all just like a car no matter how expensive or technical it is, it's main function is it runs. Cancelling Karaoke night due to technical difficulties is not going to get you more gigs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:27 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Yes, CD+G as well as CD technology is past it's prime.
Stop in a Best Buy and ask to buy a CD with music.
Good luck, CDs are dead Jim.

The music industry killed itself with the onerous "mafia like" "Pay Me Or Else" rules and
failure to acknowledge the future of data.

Imagine the buggy whip factories that crashed when Ford started mass producing the automobile.

Live performance fees, collected by third parties, and then sent to copyright owners,
(After fees removed) seems like another Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme.
Think about how much it must cost to support those third party companies.

And just because I can't sing, does not mean I won't sing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:14 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
jdmeister wrote:
And just because I can't sing, does not mean I won't sing.

I Love your attitude JD! This is was karaoke is all about!