KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Karaoke.net Song Requests discussion!!! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions New Music - Request & Released Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:16 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 64 times
cueball wrote:
Lonman wrote:
GeminiMALE40 wrote:
If they don't work for u...that's fine but every show is different..I support other peoples request...Broadway deserves the same respect.

I support other peoples requests IF it will benefit requests that I get as well - as most kj's will as well!

I agree with you Lonnie, but veiled comments such as this,
Quote:
I don't have any of those songs listed in my song books, but my singers know to just ask me if I have it. I don't encourage show tunes because for the most part they don't add to the fun.
are not very supportive to someone who is asking for specific songs or types of music. Let the Manufacturer make a decision either by deciding to go with the amount of votes a song gets, or maybe even deciding to take a gamble that even one request might be worth a shot (or not). I've had several requests (not just song requests) that were put down from some forum members here, and it wasn't done respectfully. Sometimes, if you don't support someone else's requests, it is better to just say nothing at all.

I second that if you not in favor of someone else request....then don't say anything...its THEIR request!!!!!..Thank you Cueball!!!....BE RESPECTFUL of others REQUESTS

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
There is a reason why people come here to request obscure songs. It's because no other karaoke company thought that they could make any money producing those songs over the years. This is sort of a last chance place to try to get a song made. If anyone posts anything negative about the request, he or she is quickly admonished for doing so. The manufacturer is left with only one way to determine if he should produce the songs being requested. The manufacturer has to base his decision on how many positive responses are left for that particular song. If there are only a couple of positive responses as opposed to numerous positive responses; the manufacturer has to assume that there will be little demand for the song. No response is equivalent to a negative response so silence is a very LOUD NO!! Lonnie puts up a usage list every so often about what songs are getting sung at his shows. That would be a good place to start to look for what Genres of music are being sung in todays karaoke world and the manufacturer can base his production decisions on that sort of thing. Now Lonnie's list may be very different from some other KJs list in another part of the country but it's a good place to start. I don't see a lot of show tunes being sung at Lonnie's shows though.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:16 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
GeminiMALE40 wrote:
mrmarog wrote:
cueball wrote:
As a person who prides himself on having one of the largest Broadway selections over any other KJ that I know, I second all of the above listed songs.

I too have a huge collection of broadway musical songs. I live in a very "artsy" town and the other night I had a very talented lady sing the "Lonely Goatherder" from the Sound of Music. She brought the house down.

I don't have any of those songs listed in my song books, but my singers know to just ask me if I have it. I don't encourage show tunes because for the most part they don't add to the fun.

If they don't work for u...that's fine but every show is different..I support other peoples request...Broadway deserves the same respect.

First of all let me clarify things. I started out in college with a music major. I quickly changed direction when I realized I would probably have a hard time marking a living at it.

Fast forward 30 years.... I met my wife through a theater friend who was in "My Far Lady" with my wife. My wife has been in over 30 plays in the 17 years we have been together, and more than 1/2 have been musicals.

I have been in couple of musicals and a couple of dramas with my wife. We continue to be part of a play writing group called "SAPS" (Sarasota Area Playwrights Society). We go to a couple of plays a month. Many of our closest friends are even more heavily involved in the arts.

I am in a very artsy town with massive amounts of talent and an older customer base. If I have a hard to making it work in a positive uplifting way then I am guessing that others would have much harder time.

Forgive me if I stepped on anyone's toes in my past posts.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:31 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
GeminiMALE40 wrote:
Lonman wrote:
GeminiMALE40 wrote:

I support other peoples requests IF it will benefit requests that I get as well - as most kj's will as well!

This Forum,,,is SONG REQUEST......ALL GENRES WELCOME...if I read the title correctly ...so if people are making request you don't like or not that fond of..it shouldnt be discussed here...it says SONG REQUESTS
And that is why all off topic discussions are now moved into this thread.
Having i'm the one who created the thread in the first place, it IS open to ALL genres.
The only thing I said to your response of "I support other peoples requests" is I do as well IF they will benefit my show as well. I don't just vote on songs that I have no intention of buying - I don't want a manu to spend all the money it takes to make stuff because it had voting popularity but then no one buys it. If it's something I would like or need as well, it will be voted on as well! And I would hope others aren't just voting on songs to boost the vote with no intention of buying them.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:42 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
I don't see a lot of show tunes being sung at Lonnie's shows though.
VERY rare. However if I had requests for them i'd buy them.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:06 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 64 times
In Collage I was a Musical Theatre major....I have been in a lot of shows as well as directed several...as I stated before...I DO GET REQUEST for for NEWER musical theatre selection and I made a post of them here ...and will continue to do so...all I say is respect other requests

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:35 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I think you are missing the point. Request anything you want. What I was getting at is people will vote on songs (by copying and re-pasting) the ones they would also want to see made & purchase. Manus do not want people to just vote on songs they have no intention of purchasing or having people just stack the votes for one person - this would jeopardize that manu wanting to make anything further from requested music.
You've already had a 2nd for all your broadway requests from Cue, cross your fingers more will be interested and 3rd, 4th, 5th etc them as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:07 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Is Gretchen Wilson's version of "Sunday Morning Coming Down" that much different from the multitude of other karaoke versions of that song that have already been made? I couldn't even find an mp3 of her version and someone thinks it should be made for karaoke? Just sing the Kris Kristofferson or Johnny Cash version and wait for your next turn already. Geeez!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:41 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
Is Gretchen Wilson's version of "Sunday Morning Coming Down" that much different from the multitude of other karaoke versions of that song that have already been made? I couldn't even find an mp3 of her version and someone thinks it should be made for karaoke? Just sing the Kris Kristofferson or Johnny Cash version and wait for your next turn already. Geeez!
It's definitely a much slower ballad arrangement than the Cash or Kristofferson version - so in an answer - yes it is that much different.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:25 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Karaoke Croaker wrote:

You wrote: “Just sing the Kris Kristofferson or Johnny Cash version and wait for your next turn already. Geeez!”

Ah, the difference between an average kj & good kj who will go the extra mile to enhance customer’s loyalty & promote positive word-of-mouth, hence influence more prospects to come to your show.

Really? Multitude? That means a great number of karaoke versions released on that particular song. Can you please name a few besides Cash & Kristofferson because I would like to buy them? Oh, btw it’s got to be the female version. Go ahead. I’ll wait.

Thought so! You’re probably a kj and so you’d know that male/female has different vocal range. If you’re a male, try to sing a Celine Dion song & you’ll know that you will need to adjust the pitch more or less three steps –down or three + up. Notice how the back-up vocals from the tracks changes? Change the pitch down -three and it will sound deep husky voice. Up three+ sounds like the chipmunks. Geeez!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I found at least 13 different versions of the song by either Johnny Cash or Kris K. As far as background singers being affected by the key changer, buy the KK version on karaoke version without the background singers and slow it down to get the same effect that Gretchen Wilson goes for. There are plenty of women that I have seen at karaoke that have done gender benders and sang an octave higher than the original and it sounded fine. I'm just guessing but there is probably a serious Gretchen Wilson fan at someone's show who is dying for someone to make this track for her but 99% of people who love that song and want to sing it are going to be men who are quite happy with one of the versions that have already been made. Everyone has an obscure song that they would love to stumble across while browsing through the karaoke song book. that being said, I understand why my favorite obscure songs aren't available in karaoke format. Obscure songs just don't sell enough copies to be profitable. That's why a company like karaoke version tries to use some sort of voting to help them determine what songs they should make. It's like asking for Barry White versions of Journey songs. If you can't sing "DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'" in the original key, move on to a song that is in your key and have a blast singing that one instead. or pay someone a bunch of money to make a custom backing track for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:24 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
It's like asking for Barry White versions of Journey songs. If you can't sing "DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'" in the original key, move on to a song that is in your key and have a blast singing that one instead. or pay someone a bunch of money to make a custom backing track for you.

Your analogy is tenuous at best. Who in their right mind would request to make a Barry White karaoke version of Journey song he never performed? or vice-versa? :roll:

Gretchen Wilson actually sang ‘Sunday Morning Coming Down’. It’s in her cd Playlist, the very best of GW (track 12). http://www.letssingit.com/gretchen-wils ... -of-4s2l5l

She also contributed a well-received cover of this song as a tribute Kristofferson’s cd (track #9) along with various artists: The Pilgrim: A Celebration of Kris Kristofferson. http://tamarasaviano.com/the-pilgrim-kris-kristofferson

This is an obscure song? Tell me about it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

WE ALL KNOW THAT SHE SANG IT. It was obviously not one of her songs that was played on the radio or CMT that much or it would have been made for karaoke by now. All she did was cover a famous song. She didn't make it famous. If Karaoke.net chooses to make the song, I'll be happy for everyone who is looking for it. Both of them. Hell! There are Dolly Parton versions of "Stairway To Heaven" and John Lennon's "Imagine". That doesn't mean that I've ever seen anyone sing one of them at karaoke. I don't think I'll ever hear anyone sing GW's version of Sunday Morning Comin' Down at any of the shows I do. I will however make sure I have it just to be on the safe side. I'll even make a nightly announcement that I have it just to see if I can get someone to sing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:50 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
WE ALL KNOW THAT SHE SANG IT. It was obviously not one of her songs that was played on the radio or CMT that much or it would have been made for karaoke by now. All she did was cover a famous song.

Another deflection. It’s funny how you spin your posts to gain defensive advantage.

I believe it was George Carlin who once said “Never argue with……..(can’t remember the exact words).
They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Last post. I’m done! Over & out!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:35 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

OBSCURE SONGS ARE OBSCURE FOR A REASON. That same reasoning is why many of them never make it to karaoke. There have been plenty of tributes to great singers where other artists have sung their songs on that occasion and probably never sang them in public again. Sure, those tracks might make it onto an album somewhere as part of the tribute CD or as a filler track but they're almost like a novelty song. They fade away into obscurity in a very short time, never to be heard again in the mainstream. media outlets. This is not SPIN. This is truth. There are plenty of KJs who have hundreds, if not thousands of songs that have never been sung even once at their shows. I think that this particular Gretchen Wilson song would be another one of those. If someone wants that song badly enough to buy a custom made backing track, I will volunteer to make the graphics for the song, free of charge.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:33 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
There are Dolly Parton versions of "Stairway To Heaven" and John Lennon's "Imagine". That doesn't mean that I've ever seen anyone sing one of them at karaoke.

I've had the Dolly version sung a few times & Imagine is like a regular song at least once a week.

Point is the GW version is NOT anything close to the Cash or Kristofferson version and is unique which is probably why someone wanted that particular version. I have some special acoustic versions of songs that were created by the manufacturer only and were never actually acoustic versions in reality by the actual artist that people sing all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:39 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
OBSCURE SONGS ARE OBSCURE FOR A REASON. That same reasoning is why many of them never make it to karaoke.
HENCE the very reason there is a request forum. For people to request obscure songs and hope others have the same interest in that song to where it may be worth a manufacturer to take a look at it to create.
Why do you get so upset and defensive when an obscure song is requested? Don't think you'd ever buy it - then don't vote on it and move on. If people want it then they will vote on it. If the manu thinks it has enough interest, they will make it, if it doesn't have enough interest - they won't. Simple as that. I buy obscure stuff all the time for people almost on a daily basis. Will it be sung again, I really don't care - some are, some aren't, but it made that singer pretty happy for that night which is the ultimate goal for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree that the GW version is different in that it is played slower. That being the only major difference; I can't see why someone couldn't sing the song a little faster if they really love the song. I have a version of 3AM by Matchbox Twenty with only a piano being played and it's much slower than the original that I enjoy singing as well. I really like the song and enjoy singing either version. If someone really likes a song a lot they should be able to sing it more than one way. I find it hard to believe that someone has never heard Johnny Cash or Kris Kristofferson sing the song and has only heard the Gretchen Wilson version and couldn't manage to get through the Cash version if they really like the song. I feel the same way about the song "IMAGINE". I feel that I could do a passable job regardless of whether the KJ used the John Lennon or the Dolly Parton version. I guess what I'm trying to say is that some people are just a little too spoiled when it comes to karaoke. It would be really funny if the person requesting the GW version was one of those karaoke singers who can never seem to find the right key in the first place. This particular song doesn't seem like it would be very tricky for anyone to sing with anyone's version of the song. I hope the song gets made and I hope Brian records her singing it and puts it up on the Singer's Showcase. I'd love to hear it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Are you telling me that there are people at your show that sing the Dolly Parton version of "IMAGINE" on a regular basis? I've heard people sing the Lennon version plenty of times but I've never seen anyone sing the Parton version of the song.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:20 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
I agree that the GW version is different in that it is played slower. That being the only major difference; I can't see why someone couldn't sing the song a little faster if they really love the song. I have a version of 3AM by Matchbox Twenty with only a piano being played and it's much slower than the original that I enjoy singing as well. I really like the song and enjoy singing either version. If someone really likes a song a lot they should be able to sing it more than one way. I find it hard to believe that someone has never heard Johnny Cash or Kris Kristofferson sing the song and has only heard the Gretchen Wilson version and couldn't manage to get through the Cash version if they really like the song. I feel the same way about the song "IMAGINE". I feel that I could do a passable job regardless of whether the KJ used the John Lennon or the Dolly Parton version. I guess what I'm trying to say is that some people are just a little too spoiled when it comes to karaoke. It would be really funny if the person requesting the GW version was one of those karaoke singers who can never seem to find the right key in the first place. This particular song doesn't seem like it would be very tricky for anyone to sing with anyone's version of the song. I hope the song gets made and I hope Brian records her singing it and puts it up on the Singer's Showcase. I'd love to hear it.
Maybe they do sing the faster versions and wished it was the version they really wanted! But again, what does it matter to you that you have to poo poo it. Someone else asked for it, if anyone else is interested in the song they'll 2nd it, if not they'll move on. I mean really - why do you care about someone elses request that you don't feel it's worth making? It must be worth something to someone that they would ask for the song to begin with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next