KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Is the SS section legally ok? Administrative Comments, Suggestions & Questions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:44 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I am guessing that many are using CDG backing tracks that they sing along to , i have upped one which is a karaoke version brand and one which has my own original backing. now strictly speaking is the re broadcasting of that karaoke version backing track via the internet a copyright infringement?

I posted on youtube a couple of songs of me singing to a karaoke cdg backing track only for youtube to message me with copyright infringement notices and said it was ok to keep the videos up and that a advert would be displayed at the bottom of my videos.

so is the SS section covered?

To Visit my website Rob Star Entertainments Click the link in my profile

"Strangers are just friend we haven't met yet"

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:55 pm 
webmaster
webmaster

Been Liked: 122 times
I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV...

But I believe that this is covered under by paying ASCAP/BMI fees. etc.

Singer's Showcase is similar to a bar, nightclub and/or restaurant where a KJs perform.

We are not selling your rendition only allowing you to submit it for everyone to enjoy (Hopefully!)

In fact, we currently have it set so that all submissions are just uploaded - we do not permit downloading.

I hope that helps answer your question.

KJ / MC

services provided by:
CROSS WEB TECH

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:28 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thanks PHiLL as I say I was surprised when I got copyright infringement warning for me singing to land of a 1000 dances on Youtube .

I wasn't selling the rendition (no one would buy it anyway :P ) but I guess because you can download easily may have been the issue .

I really like the Singers showcase and will be posting more.

Thanks for the clarification.

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:35 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
YEAH just don't use a record what you hear software.....lol!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:32 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
Rob Star wrote:
Thanks PHiLL as I say I was surprised when I got copyright infringement warning for me singing to land of a 1000 dances on Youtube .

I wasn't selling the rendition (no one would buy it anyway :P ) but I guess because you can download easily may have been the issue .

It isn't a question of selling it. If I give something away, it obviously affects the price someone selling it can get.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Rob Star wrote:
I am guessing that many are using CDG backing tracks that they sing along to , i have upped one which is a karaoke version brand and one which has my own original backing. now strictly speaking is the re broadcasting of that karaoke version backing track via the internet a copyright infringement?

Yes. You've created an audio-visual recording of a derivative work, a. k. a. "cover version" of the song that you intend to distribute. To legally do so, you need to purchase mechanical licensing.

Rob Star wrote:
I posted on youtube a couple of songs of me singing to a karaoke cdg backing track only for youtube to message me with copyright infringement notices and said it was ok to keep the videos up and that a advert would be displayed at the bottom of my videos.

The infringement was noted above. You were allowed to keep it up because Youtube has a prior blanket agreement with SoundExchange. The ad revenue goes towards paying the SoundExchange licensing fees so the original artist can get paid for your use of his or her work.

Make note though: you can still be held liable for failure to purchase mechanical licensing for both tracks; and for the karaoke track you used, the karaoke manu can come after you for unauthorized use also!

Rob Star wrote:
so is the SS section covered?

Depends on what agreements are in place. ASCAP/BMI/SESAC don't handle royalties from online streams. That's solely the provenance of SoundExchange. If Karaoke Scene has licensed through them, then the Singer's Showcase is covered.

Again, as noted above, the singers themselves may be open for charges of unauthorized use.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:38 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Moonrider wrote:
. ASCAP/BMI/SESAC don't handle royalties from online streams. That's solely the provenance of SoundExchange.

Thank you Moonrider you seem very knowledgeable in this subject.

Maybe you can help me with a few questions i am curious about.

Do SoundExchange control online steams globally or is that just for the U.S.A ?

for format shifting in the UK for example we have the produb licence. This allows us as hosts to convert CD to MP3 or CDG to computer formats for public use, this is only a UK ystem as far as i am aware ran by the PRS.

Don't different regions have different rules and laws? if not is SoundExchange the only online streams royalties organisation?

The message i got from youtube didn't mention SoundExchange but said my video "may" include content that is owned or administered by these entities:Entity: UMPG-BMG Publishing Content Type: Musical Composition.

I had one copyright infringement message removed by themselves , they realised is was an original recording!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Rob Star wrote:
Do SoundExchange control online steams globally or is that just for the U.S.A ?

Don't different regions have different rules and laws? if not is SoundExchange the only online streams royalties organisation?

SoundExchange is US only. As far as I know, PRS handles all types of licensing in the UK (publishing, mechanicals, streaming and performance). To me, a far more sane method. Each country handles IP in their own way.

Rob Star wrote:
The message i got from youtube didn't mention SoundExchange but said my video "may" include content that is owned or administered by these entities:Entity: UMPG-BMG Publishing Content Type: Musical Composition.

They were listing the holders of the publishing so you could correct any licensing errors.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:30 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
Nope, it is illegal. You all are breaking the law. So I demand that you immediately turn yourselves over to the proper authorities.

If your good-looking you can turn yourself over to me for proper punishment!
8) :o

:bawling: