KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - What file format to rip to? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:49 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I'm sorry, I have searched the forums for this answer and haven't been able to find it.

I want to backup my cdg's on my hard drive and maybe go to that format for shows. I have audiograbber and would like to use winamp. I downloaded the cdg plugin for winamp but can't seem to play the cdg files. Then I tried ripping to convert to mp3 and there's no video.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Again, sorry I couldn't find the answer on my own.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:43 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
in order to use winamp, you must have the cdg plugin installed. (There are two .cdg plugins... one for playing the disc in your disc drive, and the other for playing the file as an mp3 with the .cdg plugin bring up the karaoke window.

Once you have a file ripped into mp3+g, it will have two associated files. xxxx.cdg and xxxx.mp3 You can't play the .cdg file (unless you're using a program that runs that, such as karaokebuilderplayer.exe)...

with ripping with audiograbber for karaoke files, you must rip either into .bin or a compressed. It doesn't say it, but that's the mp3. A.G. doesn't come with an encoder, so most folks use LAME or some other kind of mp3 encoder. To do that, download it (do a google search... it's pretty easy to find) AND you have to put the encoder into the audiograbber folder (install into the C:/audiograbber folder). THEN go into the settings for mp3 and select the specific encoder you're using. I would also recommend highly in adjusting the default of 128mbps to 192mbps or higher. Takes up more room, but the sound is much closer to the original .wav format of audio.

Now you're ready to rip to it, assuming your burner will read the subcode.

If your PC is online, check the freedb icon to see if the disc tracks are on the database. This will save some time later!

Click on the CD part of the top title bar in audograbber. This gives you a drop down menu, and you move your selection to "karaoke", and then the compressed if you're going to rip that way.  All files will rip to the audiograbber folder.

My personal recommendation is to store your files on an external or other hard drive other than your C drive. If you want to run shows with it, only have the specific software you need on it, and NEVER use that PC for online purposes... less chances of runaway programs from virii or adware that way.

If you're still having problems, IM me, or go to the audiograbber forums.

The ones I use on my pc are the older 2.8 winamp version. I know many people have upgraded to the higher 5.x version, and that's what you can find at http://www.winamp.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:29 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Thanks Knightshow, that's pretty much everything I needed to know!
I wasn't sure if an mp3 would cut it at a live show, if it was ok to be compressed, etc.

My last question is that if I save these using the encoder at say -200+ mbps, will that be big enough to have the files as actual backups in case my cdg's are lost, broken, scratched, etc?

I'm getting a pretty good amount now and I really don't want to have to purchase any of them again!

I won't trouble you with how to burn them to a cd/format change  if and when any are lost. Just knowing that these files will be good enough to do so will let me sleep better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:50 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Dezzy, setting the bitrate to 192 should be good enough. At that setting, you'd have to play them on a real high-end system to hear any difference between the mp3 and the original. If you really feel the need to go "over 200", then use 224kbps. IMO, going to 256 or 320 is a waste of space, as there is really not enough improvement for the larger file size.
  Also, test rip a disc and play back a few songs with graphics in their entirety and look for artifacts in the graphics. BTW, rip slow! 8x max. If you're getting glitches in the graphics, it's probably your burner. Save yourself a lotta time and hassle and get a Plextor. You can pick up a CD-only Plextor burner for a reasonable price, and just use it to rip/burn karaoke.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:06 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
Since you're using it for backup purposes (legallities aside) I wouldn't us MP3 at all since it by design loses some of the audio signal.  flac and WMA are both lossless compression systems but they aren't widely used because a lot of karaoke players don't support them.  However, for backup I think they would be ideal and about the same size as an MP3.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:59 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
Since when WMA is a lossless format?

FLAC is lossless, but the size will be 4-5 times of the MP3 file.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
powerkaraoke @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:59 am wrote:
Since when WMA is a lossless format?

Since Windows Media Audio 9 Lossless, but that only has a 3:1 compression ratio so I guess I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:24 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

You guys rule, thanks so much for the advice!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:22 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Dezzy @ Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:29 am wrote:
Thanks Knightshow, that's pretty much everything I needed to know!
I wasn't sure if an mp3 would cut it at a live show, if it was ok to be compressed, etc.

My last question is that if I save these using the encoder at say -200+ mbps, will that be big enough to have the files as actual backups in case my cdg's are lost, broken, scratched, etc?

I'm getting a pretty good amount now and I really don't want to have to purchase any of them again!

I won't trouble you with how to burn them to a cd/format change  if and when any are lost. Just knowing that these files will be good enough to do so will let me sleep better.
I ran shows for over two years on computer... they're just fine!

As for "actual backups in case my cdgs are lost, broken, scratched, etc"... therein lies the real problem. According to some manus, using them is against the law. Specifically the copyright act and the fair use act. So if you decide to do this to run a show, understand that you may run into a problem with this... it could just end up being a non-issue, but I'll be honest, I retired from kjing BECAUSE of this latest news from SC and Stellar (Pop Hits Monthly).

I will also reiterate one point... if you no longer physically own the cdgs (lost or stolen), then technically, you don't even have the right to use the "backup"... receipts aside, the disc is gone!

For format changing back to .bin, use mp3toolz and burn with cdrwin from goldenhawk, or nero. I will also point out that the conversion process from disc to mp3g and back to disc... you lose a little due to the initial compression. so the burn FROM such a conversion will have that part missing. If you seriously want to make burns, then I'd go with strictly cdrwin, or when you rip from audiograbber, DO NOT compress... rip to .bin format! This is a lossless copy process, and as b flat pointed out, rip slower (I rip at 4speed or 8 speed only) to avoid any graphics jumbles!

And as I pointed out, if you have any questions, IM away!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:07 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I don't really plan on burning any disks, but I'd like to protect what I've invested in.

I would love to do a pure disk show, but the posts about disks deteriorating and about SC (which is 98% of my library) scratching easily and their low quality (from pressing them in-house?) are pretty scary.

I treat my things very nicely, but am scared to death of having to re-buy my disks again.