KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Probably not a popular opinion,,, Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:43 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 330 times
I just recently returned from a very long road trip to see the eclipse and fill in some of my bucket list states. While I and my family was driving 4500 miles cross country and back, my wife and I had the opportunity to go to a couple of different karaoke shows. Here is my take on how karaoke is "generally" perceived from "average" bar patron. Now we are talking just the people that go out to let loose, NOT the karaoke divas.

As a typical night of karaoke, the vast majority of the patrons are NOT singers, nor are they there to even participate. They are there simply to have a good time. Karaoke singers/participants are only a small percentage of total patrons, unless the venue is a dedicated karaoke bar. Then a much larger percentage of patrons are their for singing or supporting. As bar owners, their priority is to be profitable, whether it's a country bar, large night club, sports bar or even a karaoke spot. They offer services, activities and food/drinks to attract more people. Pretty simple huh? As long as the venues are managed well, then they have a good chance of being successful.

OK, now let's change the focus onto karaoke hosts. If we are hosting as a professional, our objectives are usually to offer quality sound with top quality equipment, a fair rotation and a friendly, fun atmosphere. How far we go and spend on our gear is a choice we make from a personal viewpoint. This is where the opinions will differ and where I think we are biased as hosts.

By putting together large libraries, expensive sound gear, lights, software, mics, etc. who are we trying to impress? Personally, I think that our egos are to thank. I think we are kidding ourselves in believing all that "stuff" really makes a difference in how our shows are viewed from the general bar patron or bar owner. All they truly care about is bodies in the bar, spending money and having a good time. While on my trip, I attended two separate small local bars and the karaoke shows they had that particular night. What I actually saw was actually pretty informative.

First show, in Arkansas: Small place that only held about 35-40 people max. The host was using lousy gear, horrible mics, played from Youtube, total lack of organized rotation, had to sing toward the wall with our backs to the crowd, and a total lack of fun personality from the host. Almost every single thing we as "professional" hosts would cringe at. Guess what,,, we had a total blast!! Why you say? I believe it was all because of the crowd itself. Were they there to support or particapate in karaoke? Not really, only 5 or 6 people sang. The rest just simply had fun visiting and drinking. They were very welcoming to us as visitors and made us feel like part of the group. From my standpoint as a singer, the crowd didn't care one little bit that the sound was terrible, and that they were looking at the back of our heads. They just simply had a good time.

Second show in Kansas: Club was a bit bigger, held maybe 50 people, and standing room only. They do karaoke several nights a week, with rotating hosts. The host was using decent sound, good mics and I am not sure what software. He was definitely not the greatest host I have seen tho. There was maybe 8 to 10 singers, it kind of was hard to tell because the rotation was so helter skelter, just a sign up sheet, and the host was all over the place on who sang next. Also, we had to use the screen on a table right next to the mixing board,, really awkward. But guess what, again we had fun, simply because of the crowd. Generally, they weren't there to participate, they were there to drink and visit. I believe the only reason that karaoke was there was to make noise.

That's my observation, karaoke is simply there to fill the silence. It really doesn't matter to the general patron (again, not diva) that we have the best sound, newest software, nicest mics and host the fairest of professionally ran shows. It all boils down to the crowd, and how much "fun" they are having, and how much they are spending so the venue is profitable. The average bar patron is usually there to drink a few, visit with friends, meet new people and typically have a night of distraction from daily life. Those are the people that spend money and make it possible for owners be successful. Singers who take their performances seriously (the divas) are usually, but not always though, the ones who don't spend much money, water drinkers, complain about being skipped,,, you know the type.

Now this is only an opinion, but as hosts who are we trying to impress? Who are we kidding? I think it's us, we believe by putting all this effort and money into our shows, that it will make us successful, when it all boils down to the crowd, how much fun they have and how much money they are spending. That's my take, yours will probably differ.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile