KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Let's have a conversation! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:28 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 330 times
By the way, I really am not bashing on the younger crowd, it's just the way it is these days.

You look young in your pic Dakota, so I truly mean absolutely no offense :D

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:44 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
I'll chip in a bit. I've been here since before 2001, and a moderator since shortly after.
Yes, there were some silly discussions, yelling and such. That may have sent some into hiding.
Many members are sheltered over on the evil facebork.
FYI, I moderate over on the evil FB also. And a few other sites.
Like Phill, I host websites.
Some members here complained about "Moderation" and this seemed to be an issue.
FYI, any banning was approved by management.
Deleted threads may have been moved to a secure area for review.
Again, management approves any final action.
Today, I deleted 35 spammers and their posts.
Management will come in and verify this action, and finish the ban and deletion.
I still stop in every few days, primarily to delete spammers.
The software here could use some updating, however, revenue is down, and
management is not ready.
The reduction of revenue would impact any site.
Anyway, Welcome to enjoy the resources we have available.
Sing Loud, sing proud.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:47 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 26 times
Look 16 years in the business, I was early and started collecting discs, but was soon part of the laptop vs disc debate, thats why i have watched it over the years, yes the younger ones are interesting, don't even want songbooks, present a phone with a screen from spotify with some random artist asking do we have this song... (Well no bcoz we haven't bought it).

I know some newer hosts rely on the likes of PartyTyme or other streaming services, but i would never host a show relying only on streaming, so I guess I'm old fashioned at 44.... :)

I still have some old laser discs creeping around so i've been an enthusiast for long time, but nah the forums don't need to die, and thanks to the admins for screening, I remember when I first started my website I installed the PHPBB and half the time it was all spammers, so got rid of that quickly....

This website has alot of life left in it, not only the older posts that have helped (EG: Bypassing MediaCloq) and just some generall chit chat, I enjoy reading the old convo's, funny when a dead one comes back to life 15 years later but hey!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:56 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

jdmeister wrote:
I'll chip in a bit. I've been here since before 2001, and a moderator since shortly after.
Yes, there were some silly discussions, yelling and such. That may have sent some into hiding.
Management will come in and verify this action, and finish the ban and deletion.
management is not ready.
Sing Loud, sing proud.

Thank you for your work, how do we support the site so revenue is up?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:56 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 10 times
mrscott wrote:
By the way, I really am not bashing on the younger crowd, it's just the way it is these days.

I'm way over 30, won't say by how much but thank you!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:09 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

mrscott wrote:
Dakota wrote:
Can you please elaborate on how the younger generation veiws the industry now as opposed to the early pioneers? This sound very interesting to me.

I'll try to explain this as good as I can from my perspective.

The older generation of karaoke enthusiasts would buy discs after disc, whether it was for personal collections or for professional settings (hosting). They would also attend shows regularly that they felt best would give them as many opportunities to sing publicly. Some of these singers felt that they had a "gift" to share, and would relish seeing others who also shared their "gift". They would listen to others and applaud for a job well done (or the torture was over,, lol) Hosts would spend literally thousands of dollars on equipment and music, because they took their craft seriously and professionally.

The younger generation came along and slowly changed everything. Today's younger people would rather spend time on their cell phones or on social media rather than actually interacting with others publicly. If they can do what they want to do on their phones, then that is how they think it's supposed to be done. Karaoke can be done with a handful of friends in a basement using an app in their apartments, homes or basements. Home systems are becoming much more common place. The availability of music is easy to use as well. "Youtube" karaoke has pretty much destroyed the profession.

At my one and only show per week that I do now (I used to do five, but mostly that is my choice), I only get an occasional younger (under 30 years old) singer. Usually, they come in, feel entitled, get butt hurt when I make them wait their turn like everyone else, sing like an idiot, and leave early without spending much money at the bar. That's the norm for me these days. The bar I host at is in the only bar for 50 miles, in a county of almost 30 thousand people, and it truly struggles for business. You would think it would be busy, but it's not. I know my days hosting are numbered.

I understand... Sigh.

I am renovating my home and I needed some help from an interior designer as I want to put in a wet bar and some sort of attractive storage for my Karaoke equiptment which I described to them. They quickly told me that I really didn't need all of that stuff and all I needed was a TV and YouTube. That was their understanding of a Karaoke system. The point is that they quickly said YouTube and they happened to be in their 50's. I’m very confused about YouTube Karaoke. How does YouTube allow this. I thought they were cracking down on it. All of a sudden there is more of it than ever.

Btw, I didn't hire them but I did try to tell them the cons of YouTube Karaoke (at least with what I think I know, lol). For example, ads, sound quality, constant volume adjustments, corruption of the entire uploaded song, no Sound Choice or some other really good ones (I think) plus I love my Compuhost but that's a whole other thing. To you mrscott and anyone else reading it can you please cover (on a basic level) any cons that I'm missing? I want to be fully armed for the next time. Grrrrrrrrr.

I cannot believe that the only bar for 50 miles struggles for business!!! That's just mind blowing crazy! Did it struggle before Covid?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:18 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Dakota wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Dakota wrote:
Can you please elaborate on how the younger generation veiws the industry now as opposed to the early pioneers? This sound very interesting to me.

The older generation of karaoke enthusiasts would buy discs after disc, whether it was for personal collections or for professional settings (hosting). They would also attend shows regularly that they felt best would give them as many opportunities to sing publicly. Some of these singers felt that they had a "gift" to share, and would relish seeing others who also shared their "gift". They would listen to others and applaud for a job well done (or the torture was over,, lol) Hosts would spend literally thousands of dollars on equipment and music, because they took their craft seriously and professionally.

The younger generation came along and slowly changed everything. Today's younger people would rather spend time on their cell phones or on social media rather than actually interacting with others publicly. If they can do what they want to do on their phones, then that is how they think it's supposed to be done. Karaoke can be done with a handful of friends in a basement using an app in their apartments, homes or basements. Home systems are becoming much more common place. The availability of music is easy to use as well. "Youtube" karaoke has pretty much destroyed the profession.

At my one and only show per week that I do now (I used to do five, but mostly that is my choice), I only get an occasional younger (under 30 years old) singer. Usually, they come in, feel entitled, get butt hurt when I make them wait their turn like everyone else, sing like an idiot, and leave early without spending much money at the bar. That's the norm for me these days. The bar I host at is in the only bar for 50 miles, in a county of almost 30 thousand people, and it truly struggles for business. You would think it would be busy, but it's not. I know my days hosting are numbered.

I understand... Sigh.

I am renovating my home and I needed some help from an interior designer as I want to put in a wet bar and some sort of attractive storage for my Karaoke equiptment which I described to them. They quickly told me that I really didn't need all of that stuff and all I needed was a TV and YouTube. That was their understanding of a Karaoke system. The point is that they quickly said YouTube and they happened to be in their 50's. I’m very confused about YouTube Karaoke. How does YouTube allow this. I thought they were cracking down on it. All of a sudden there is more of it than ever.

Btw, I didn't hire them but I did try to tell them the cons of YouTube Karaoke (at least with what I think I know, lol). For example, ads, sound quality, constant volume adjustments, corruption of the entire uploaded song, no Sound Choice or some other really good ones (I think) plus I love my Compuhost but that's a whole other thing. To you mrscott and anyone else reading it can you please cover (on a basic level) any cons that I'm missing? I want to be fully armed for the next time. Grrrrrrrrr.

I cannot believe that the only bar for 50 miles struggles for business!!! That's just mind blowing crazy! Did it struggle before Covid?

The general consensus from most people's viewpoint of what karaoke "is",,, they get from Youtube. The vast majority of the population (including your decorator person) doesn't have a clue that there are different manufacturers of songs. And that the quality can vary from manu to manu. They think we just sing along with the song as it plays. Youtube karaoke versions are for the most part pretty terrible (not all tho). One of the other cons that I see by using Youtube versions is you have to expand the screen to fit not only the computer monitor, but if you have extended screens, then there might be considerable lag on lyrics to music syncing. Now this won't always be the case, it's really dependent on how powerful of a computer one has. Plus you can't "cue" up the next song for the next singer while they wait their turn (unless you use multiple computers or multiple instances of Youtube) That proves to slow a show down considerably. Most people also do not realize how a host can be a huge addition to the fluidity and energy of a show (this is why I do what I do). Doing Youtube karaoke isn't a bad way to practice at home, but I would never use it in a "show" setting (although, I would still choose to use the more professional versions of songs).

I am really envious of you Dakota that you have the ability to be able to set up a room, such as you have, for home karaoke. I would love to see what you eventually do, and maybe see some clips of some of your home parties. That would be really cool to watch and hear. Most people don't have the space you own. In fact, your room for karaoke is bigger than my entire house -true story :) I do have a family room downstairs that when my hosting days in the bars or private shows has come to an end, that I will set up with my Evolves... it's going to be epic,,, and "loud". :beermates:

Now, as far as the bar I host at. It's an old time local dive bar. It's stuck in the past, waiting for the "good old days" to return :roll: The owner is really a wonderful lady of which I am glad to call her my friend. But sadly, she doesn't seem to be interested in going forward and looking towards the future. I would love to see somebody put a bunch of money into the bar and turn it into something really fantastic. One of the obstacle is that the building is in a historic zone, which means, no renovations to be made to the exterior of the building without approval from the historic society, which would never happen. The entire street is like a Norman Rockwell picture. However, that doesn't mean that the interior cannot be updated. The building has more space "not being used" than there is actually being used currently. A person could remodel, double the space, offer good food (which our area is in dire need of), have great entertainment possibilities, and improve the clientele. Right now the owner pretty much caters to the local die hard alcoholics, instead of figuring out a way to draw new people. Anyway, I keep my mouth shut and do my job as good as I can.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:21 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Dakota wrote:
mrscott wrote:

Honestly, your pic says that you aren't a day over 29 :swg: ,, a true beauty :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:30 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Mr Scott., much respect to you been a long time contributor, Nah YouTube cant give the same experience, I had a disc collection over 3000, much sits dormant, but i haven't found anything to equate with them! Hopefully some of the manufacuters left do some of the old stuff including new stuff :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:45 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Buster79 wrote:
Mr Scott., much respect to you been a long time contributor, Nah YouTube cant give the same experience, I had a disc collection over 3000, much sits dormant, but i haven't found anything to equate with them! Hopefully some of the manufacuters left do some of the old stuff including new stuff :)

Thanks so much. I have been here a day or two. I have seen many faces come and go. I will admit that I might have been involved in some of those questionable "debates". But I hope I did offer some things that were of use to somebody along the way. I really do miss the interaction that was created. I would hope that some of those old users, and new ones alike can come in, sit down, have a cuppa, and enjoy some good conversations. I do know why many have left, and sadly probably will never return. It's truly sad when ego's cannot be set aside and held in check at the door.

As far as Youtube, I doubt very much it could honestly replace what "real" karaoke is,,, but it certainly has distracted quite a few along the way. Gotta love those shiny things :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:38 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

jdmeister wrote:
management is not ready.
Sing Loud, sing proud.

Thanks for chipping in. I am learning quite a bit. Hope things can get back on track here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:40 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

mrscott wrote:
Dakota wrote:
mrscott wrote:

Honestly, your pic says that you aren't a day over 29 :swg: ,, a true beauty :D

Awwwww. Thank you! You've made my day. Nope... You made my month! :lol:

Last edited by Dakota on Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:02 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

mrscott wrote:
Dakota wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Dakota wrote:

I understand... Sigh.

The general consensus from most people's viewpoint of what karaoke "is",,, they get from Youtube. The vast majority of the population (including your decorator person) doesn't have a clue that there are different manufacturers of songs. And that the quality can vary from manu to manu. They think we just sing along with the song as it plays. Youtube karaoke versions are for the most part pretty terrible (not all tho). One of the other cons that I see by using Youtube versions is you have to expand the screen to fit not only the computer monitor, but if you have extended screens, then there might be considerable lag on lyrics to music syncing. Now this won't always be the case, it's really dependent on how powerful of a computer one has. Plus you can't "cue" up the next song for the next singer while they wait their turn (unless you use multiple computers or multiple instances of Youtube) That proves to slow a show down considerably. Most people also do not realize how a host can be a huge addition to the fluidity and energy of a show (this is why I do what I do). Doing Youtube karaoke isn't a bad way to practice at home, but I would never use it in a "show" setting (although, I would still choose to use the more professional versions of songs).

I am really envious of you Dakota that you have the ability to be able to set up a room, such as you have, for home karaoke. I would love to see what you eventually do, and maybe see some clips of some of your home parties. That would be really cool to watch and hear. Most people don't have the space you own. In fact, your room for karaoke is bigger than my entire house -true story :) I do have a family room downstairs that when my hosting days in the bars or private shows has come to an end, that I will set up with my Evolves... it's going to be epic,,, and "loud". :beermates:

Now, as far as the bar I host at. It's an old time local dive bar. It's stuck in the past, waiting for the "good old days" to return :roll: The owner is really a wonderful lady of which I am glad to call her my friend. But sadly, she doesn't seem to be interested in going forward and looking towards the future. I would love to see somebody put a bunch of money into the bar and turn it into something really fantastic. One of the obstacle is that the building is in a historic zone, which means, no renovations to be made to the exterior of the building without approval from the historic society, which would never happen. The entire street is like a Norman Rockwell picture. However, that doesn't mean that the interior cannot be updated. The building has more space "not being used" than there is actually being used currently. A person could remodel, double the space, offer good food (which our area is in dire need of), have great entertainment possibilities, and improve the clientele. Right now the owner pretty much caters to the local die hard alcoholics, instead of figuring out a way to draw new people. Anyway, I keep my mouth shut and do my job as good as I can.

YouTube Karaoke really gets me riled up. I hate having to defend my setup to people that don't matter. It's happened 3 times so far in the past month.

Hopefully, this setup will turn out nice. I will definitely share. It will basically be my old setup with new speakers that won't be on stands (hooray). Unfortunately, I am not a great singer, although I've fooled a few into thinking that I am with a couple of songs that I can do well and I ALWAYS run into some sort of snafu when setting it all up (usually computer or wifi related). Ugh. I'm no expert in any of it, I just really like to sing and and I like having good sound and I like turning others on to the experience. I started out with a all in one Vocopro "thing" that came with a cheap mic and 20 terrible CD+G's and I added about 50 of my own discs. I loved it. It sounded absolutely terrible and I needed more songs and so there the "obsession" began.

The bar sounds like it could be something really special. Too bad the owner is so complacent. She doesn't see the gold mine that she is sitting on. Wonder if anyone has ever made her an offer to buy her out?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:44 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Dakota wrote:
YouTube Karaoke really gets me riled up. I hate having to defend my setup to people that don't matter. It's happened 3 times so far in the past month.

Hopefully, this setup will turn out nice. I will definitely share. It will basically be my old setup with new speakers that won't be on stands (hooray). Unfortunately, I am not a great singer, although I've fooled a few into thinking that I am with a couple of songs that I can do well and I ALWAYS run into some sort of snafu when setting it all up (usually computer or wifi related). Ugh. I'm no expert in any of it, I just really like to sing and and I like having good sound and I like turning others on to the experience. I started out with a all in one Vocopro "thing" that came with a cheap mic and 20 terrible CD+G's and I added about 50 of my own discs. I loved it. It sounded absolutely terrible and I needed more songs and so there the "obsession" began.

The bar sounds like it could be something really special. Too bad the owner is so complacent. She doesn't see the gold mine that she is sitting on. Wonder if anyone has ever made her an offer to buy her out?

I think once you get the new speakers, you will find that they are incredible, and you might actually just want to display them. I dunno. Hey, I even sound tolerable using them..haha. I don't consider myself a singer at all, never have, but I too love so sing. I'm sure you don't give yourself enough credit either :D Still hoping that you can share some pics and vids when the time comes.

The bar owner bought the bar because that is where she met her husband, and he died. So she bought it basically for sentimental reasons. I think she believes that if she changes it, then he won't be there anymore. It's kind of sad in a way, but also very special, especially if you knew her husband. He was a great man that everyone admired and loves. Also, a couple of years ago, she got diagnosed with cancer (she beat it, but at a cost). If it weren't for her two daughters stepping up and working there to help cut costs and run the place in her weakened state. I truly do admire her, but I wish she could have a financial partner that had deep pockets and a great heart. Hey, I can wish can't I?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:25 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Go Fund Me LOL :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:04 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Buster79 wrote:
Go Fund Me LOL :)

Boy do I wish that could work for her. Seriously though, I don't think that could even come close to covering the amount of money it would take to re-do the bar entirely. My guess, it would be in excess of half a million $. But just think of the outcome :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:43 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

mrscott wrote:
The bar owner bought the bar because that is where she met her husband, and he died. So she bought it basically for sentimental reasons. I think she believes that if she changes it, then he won't be there anymore. It's kind of sad in a way, but also very special, especially if you knew her husband. He was a great man that everyone admired and loves. Also, a couple of years ago, she got diagnosed with cancer (she beat it, but at a cost). If it weren't for her two daughters stepping up and working there to help cut costs and run the place in her weakened state. I truly do admire her, but I wish she could have a financial partner that had deep pockets and a great heart. Hey, I can wish can't I?

That is quite a story.
Wishing is good. Anything can happen. You never know what the future holds.
Maybe her daughters can call Bar Rescue (Have you ever watched it?). This bar seems like a perfect candidate for the show!!! Omg!!! I am completely serious. The backstory, owner stuck in the past, the illness, the potential, lack of funds, food not great, the daughter coming in to help... Again, omg!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:33 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Dakota wrote:
mrscott wrote:

That is quite a story.
Maybe her daughters can call Bar Rescue (Have you ever watched it?). This bar seems like a perfect candidate for the show!!! Omg!!! I am completely serious. The backstory, owner stuck in the past, the illness, the potential, lack of funds, food not great, the daughter coming in to help... Again, omg!!!

I have watched Bar Rescue a lot. In fact, I have thought that same very thing too. However, Taffer has only done one bar rescue in Utah, and probably won't be doing it again. The laws are just too hard to work around for a normal thinking business/bar owner. Plus, if you actually knew the entire story behind Bar Rescue,,, kind of sad, but you owe John Taffer back the money he used to rescue the bar in the end. Nothing is for free. There is contract, that basically says if you don't repay, then Taffer and his financial group will own your business. Most do pay, some it didn't matter because they closed their doors and had nothing more to lose. At that point, Taffer and "boys" put a lien on the building until they get their money back. But for those who took the rescue to heart and follow the plan, they usually can recover the costs fairly quickly. Makes for some good tv programming tho :D

Honestly tho, for myself, I wouldn't want to be involved in the entire process, nor would I be part of the outcome. My involvement is strictly based on my one day a week keeping the doors open.

Last edited by mrscott on Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:35 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Back to the first question tho Dakota....

How to revive this forum? :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:16 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Dakota wrote:
mrscott wrote:

That is quite a story.

Sadly, Reality Shows Are Not Real. The are "Technically" Scripted Reality. There Is Too Much Money In Producing A TV Show To Allow Any Flub Ups. Bar Rescue Is Just Like All The Others, FAKE.

Ask Me How I Know..