KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Karaoke health in Your Area Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks


premium-member

Offsite Links


It is currently Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:50 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 2276
Been Liked: 268 times
This was asked in another thread, so I thought I would just put it out there for everyone.

How is the general health of karaoke in the area where each of you lives?

This includes hosts and singers alike. I would like to see a broad perspective from all over.

I will start.
Here around our state, the economy has been very strong. During the pandemic, there were a few clubs, bars and restaurants that did not survive the shutdowns or restrictions. However, now that things are returning to "somewhat" normal, business's have been busier than ever. The hardest part for them is to fill employee positions in the lower paying industries. But the bars and clubs seemed to be rebounding quite nicely, even the one I host is much busier. So, I see a positive growth trend for karaoke.

Now, let's hear from you good peeps :D


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:39 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 469
Been Liked: 156 times
In my immediate town, there are currently two places offering regular karaoke, which is below pre-pandemic levels but not pandemic related (the other place had a fire, and is expected to reopen next month). One show is a new show (in a re-branded bar that went from college dive to brewery franchise) that didn't exist pre-pandemic, and it hasn't found it's footing yet (great sound, good new bar, good host, but it hasn't found a crowd yet--I sang entirely too much last night). They still have the once-a-month karaoke at the Legion, but that's a show I tend to skip.

In the overall within-driving-distance area, we're looking at about a 25% reduction in shows overall. Some bars closed, some have opted not to do entertainment of any kind, and one has cut their karaoke back from two nights a week to one night a week.

The local karaoke groups are looking more active as time passes with show announcements and promos.

_________________
Co-host of The Greatest Song Ever Sung (Poorly), a karaoke-themed podcast


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:56 am 
Online
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5083
Location: Phoenix Az
Been Liked: 1264 times
back to normal in PHX, and i just picked up 2 more shows.

_________________
Paradigm Karaoke, The New Standard.......Shift Happens


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:41 am 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 5818
Been Liked: 621 times
In my area the karaoke situation is bleak to say the best. I have been concerned with karaoke matters now for 25 years and the pandemic has effected this community. There are 5 non-profit organizations that offer karaoke once a week or more. 2 can afford to pay for karaoke three cannot. There are maybe 5 for profit venues in town or close by, there used to be 12. Many patrons have passed away during this pandemic, so the herd has been thinned. Venues that used to have huge crowds now have maybe on a good night 13 singers. That is what I am looking at right now, in real time.


Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:52 am 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 5818
Been Liked: 621 times
Probably the most specialized group of professionals are doctors. They go to school longer, spend vast sums on their education, and have to work for years to pay back their student debt. The health delivery system in this country is in bad shape and needs to be reformed, to get away from company based health plans, and go to some form of Public Option or Universal Health care delivery system.

That being said you have Health delivery systems that don't charge their patients for care, St. Jude's and Shriner's Hospitals are two of these. You don't see doctors up in arms because the poor are getting free medical, do you? If this is the case, then it stands to reason that a KJ can charge his clients what they can afford to pay, if that host chooses to that. My point is it is all up to the individual, the way MR.SCOTT is so fond of pointing out.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:18 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 2276
Been Liked: 268 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
In my area the karaoke situation is bleak to say the best. I have been concerned with karaoke matters now for 25 years and the pandemic has effected this community. There are 5 non-profit organizations that offer karaoke once a week or more. 2 can afford to pay for karaoke three cannot. There are maybe 5 for profit venues in town or close by, there used to be 12. Many patrons have passed away during this pandemic, so the herd has been thinned. Venues that used to have huge crowds now have maybe on a good night 13 singers. That is what I am looking at right now, in real time.


If you live in a retirement community area, I would expect things to less than booming.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:22 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 2276
Been Liked: 268 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Probably the most specialized group of professionals are doctors. They go to school longer, spend vast sums on their education, and have to work for years to pay back their student debt. The health delivery system in this country is in bad shape and needs to be reformed, to get away from company based health plans, and go to some form of Public Option or Universal Health care delivery system.

That being said you have Health delivery systems that don't charge their patients for care, St. Jude's and Shriner's Hospitals are two of these. You don't see doctors up in arms because the poor are getting free medical, do you? If this is the case, then it stands to reason that a KJ can charge his clients what they can afford to pay, if that host chooses to that. My point is it is all up to the individual, the way MR.SCOTT is so fond of pointing out.


This has absolutely nothing to do with the question at hand. As usual, you seem to not be able to answer a simple question without going off on some personal campaign. Knock it off please. Stick to the topic.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:49 am 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 5818
Been Liked: 621 times
I think it does pertain, if the health of the general population is not being fully addressed, it will seep into everything else including the karaoke hosting industry.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:01 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 2276
Been Liked: 268 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
I think it does pertain, if the health of the general population is not being fully addressed, it will seep into everything else including the karaoke hosting industry.


Yes, and so does wearing clean underwear. Lone Ranger, please refrain from trying to sidetrack every topic into your political crusade. Thank you in advance.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:08 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 4324
Been Liked: 1019 times
The karaoke health in my area has not been so good. I was working 5 nights a week pre-pandemic, now I'm just working 2. I lost a great gig I had in which I worked Friday and Saturday from 9-2. This place used to be open 7 days a week until 2 AM. But since they reopened, like many other places, they have been looking for kitchen help. This has been going on for a year but nobody wants to work. So, as a result of being short staffed, they closed on Saturday and Sunday. And the rest of the week, they now close at 11:00PM. This was my favorite place too.

I also lost another place, because once they reopened, people were still leery about coming out and the overall clientele dwindled. Not just for karaoke but for the restaurant as well.

And one other place, I left by my choice. So, I went from working 5 nights a week, to 2. I'm OK with having just 2 right now.

One of the reasons places have closed or have shortened their hours is not because of the pandemic but because nobody wants to work. So, I'm hoping that changes and if my favorite place gets a full staff back, hopefully go back to karaoke there.

This whole thing has not been good and has affected us all.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:38 pm 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 5271
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 376 times
Alan B wrote:
The karaoke health in my area has not been so good. I was working 5 nights a week pre-pandemic, now I'm just working 2. I lost a great gig I had in which I worked Friday and Saturday from 9-2. This place used to be open 7 days a week until 2 AM. But since they reopened, like many other places, they have been looking for kitchen help. This has been going on for a year but nobody wants to work. So, as a result of being short staffed, they closed on Saturday and Sunday. And the rest of the week, they now close at 11:00PM. This was my favorite place too.

I also lost another place, because once they reopened, people were still leery about coming out and the overall clientele dwindled. Not just for karaoke but for the restaurant as well.

And one other place, I left by my choice. So, I went from working 5 nights a week, to 2. I'm OK with having just 2 right now.

One of the reasons places have closed or have shortened their hours is not because of the pandemic but because nobody wants to work. So, I'm hoping that changes and if my favorite place gets a full staff back, hopefully go back to karaoke there.

This whole thing has not been good and has affected us all.

If they had put a requirement to look for work on the unemployment boost and also cut the boost if they find out that the unemployed person turned down a job offer we wouldn't have so many available jobs left unfilled. Unemployment benefits were never meant to be permanent but there while they were unemployed looking for work.
As it is I have decided to retire and only provide my limited karaoke services for friends and a local mental health non profit who can't afford to pay for a so called professional. Who knows, maybe I could become a nonprofit that provides the service to other mental health non profit social centers.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:48 am 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 5818
Been Liked: 621 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
If they had put a requirement to look for work on the unemployment boost and also cut the boost if they find out that the unemployed person turned down a job offer we wouldn't have so many available jobs left unfilled. Unemployment benefits were never meant to be permanent but there while they were unemployed looking for work.
As it is I have decided to retire and only provide my limited karaoke services for friends and a local mental health non profit who can't afford to pay for a so called professional. Who knows, maybe I could become a nonprofit that provides the service to other mental health non profit social centers.


This is assuming that all people are looking for work, and want to be in the workplace. For example I just read some articles about men who are in their prime working years, not looking for work or wanting a job at all. I have seen this and wondered now that I am retired, how so many people especially men are out and about during the day. I soon realized I was for a period of time one of these men. I did not work until I was 65, but rather retired at 58, so I could have worked another 7 years. I was able at that point to live off my investments, and pension.

There are an estimated 7 to 30 million working age men who are in this group, and they survive by various means. Some are stay at home dads, or even worse in my opinion just living off their wife's, parents, or other relations. I hope at least they do the house work, or fix dinner. So much of especially a man's self worth is tied up in their job, it is hard to think that some have survived without one for decades? How are they doing it by various ways. Living off of inheritances, insurance settlements, working under the table, hunting, fishing, clam digging, picking berries, raising vegetable gardens, canning, jarring, what my dad use to call living off the land. Also they are engaged in illegal activities such as dealing drugs. Some have mental issues that are untreated or have other disabilities that keep them from working. This 7 to 30 million number represents 12% to 33% of the total male work force. Many of these men are not paying into Social Security or Medicare.

What is most troubling is there are some men 25 years old that will go their entire lives without a job. Working to me is a form of therapy, and makes most people feel better about themselves. In the future there will be more automation, throwing millions of workers out of jobs, what then?


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:15 am 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:37 pm
Posts: 488
Location: fl
Been Liked: 122 times
My area is thriving. People are eager to get out and about and the industry is doing rather well. I personally do about 3 shows a week and my other two hosts do a total of 7 shows a week. I still have about 10 to 15% of singers who use their own mics and I still use mic covers for the singers

Help for restaurants is the only stumbling block I see. Most all of our clientele have been vaccinated so they feel a little more at ease singing and being inside our venues.

_________________
Sound Choice and Chartbuster Certified


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:29 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 2276
Been Liked: 268 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
If they had put a requirement to look for work on the unemployment boost and also cut the boost if they find out that the unemployed person turned down a job offer we wouldn't have so many available jobs left unfilled. Unemployment benefits were never meant to be permanent but there while they were unemployed looking for work.
As it is I have decided to retire and only provide my limited karaoke services for friends and a local mental health non profit who can't afford to pay for a so called professional. Who knows, maybe I could become a nonprofit that provides the service to other mental health non profit social centers.


This is assuming that all people are looking for work, and want to be in the workplace. For example I just read some articles about men who are in their prime working years, not looking for work or wanting a job at all. I have seen this and wondered now that I am retired, how so many people especially men are out and about during the day. I soon realized I was for a period of time one of these men. I did not work until I was 65, but rather retired at 58, so I could have worked another 7 years. I was able at that point to live off my investments, and pension.

There are an estimated 7 to 30 million working age men who are in this group, and they survive by various means. Some are stay at home dads, or even worse in my opinion just living off their wife's, parents, or other relations. I hope at least they do the house work, or fix dinner. So much of especially a man's self worth is tied up in their job, it is hard to think that some have survived without one for decades? How are they doing it by various ways. Living off of inheritances, insurance settlements, working under the table, hunting, fishing, clam digging, picking berries, raising vegetable gardens, canning, jarring, what my dad use to call living off the land. Also they are engaged in illegal activities such as dealing drugs. Some have mental issues that are untreated or have other disabilities that keep them from working. This 7 to 30 million number represents 12% to 33% of the total male work force. Many of these men are not paying into Social Security or Medicare.

What is most troubling is there are some men 25 years old that will go their entire lives without a job. Working to me is a form of therapy, and makes most people feel better about themselves. In the future there will be more automation, throwing millions of workers out of jobs, what then?


I know this is "mildly" relevant to the topic, but please read above. SMH :banghead:


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:01 am 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 5818
Been Liked: 621 times
You are going to have a headache my friend, just take a deep breath, or have a cannibas gummy bear, or glass of wine, or both.

"Give Him The Seda give" "Young Frankenstien" or Three Stooge's where's the sedative, and hit the patient in the head with the wooden mallet. Just Kidding Scottie.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:51 am 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 5271
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 376 times
The only venues in Waterbury CT are the type that don't honor agreements for price or even hiring someone else after they agreed to hiring you.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:34 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 4324
Been Liked: 1019 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
The only venues in Waterbury CT are the type that don't honor agreements for price or even hiring someone else after they agreed to hiring you.

I wonder why he didn't pay you the agreed upon price. Could it be that:

1. There wasn't a big turnout?
2. He didn't make any money off of you?
3. He wasn't very impressed with your show?

Could it be why he replaced you? I don't know what happened because I wasn't there. This is only speculation, but if it was me, I'd want to know. I would ask him point blank, why didn't you pay me the agreed upon price. I would really like to know what his reasons were.

If this is not Danny's doing, then you see what's going on LR? Bar owners don't want to pay, or pay very little. Because you and Danny are sending the message that karaoke has no value and hosts are worthless and don't deserve to be paid any significant amount.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:52 am 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 5818
Been Liked: 621 times
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
The only venues in Waterbury CT are the type that don't honor agreements for price or even hiring someone else after they agreed to hiring you.

I wonder why he didn't pay you the agreed upon price. Could it be that:

1. There wasn't a big turnout?
2. He didn't make any money off of you?
3. He wasn't very impressed with your show?

Could it be why he replaced you? I don't know what happened because I wasn't there. This is only speculation, but if it was me, I'd want to know. I would ask him point blank, why didn't you pay me the agreed upon price. I would really like to know what his reasons were.

If this is not Danny's doing, then you see what's going on LR? Bar owners don't want to pay, or pay very little. Because you and Danny are sending the message that karaoke has no value and hosts are worthless and don't deserve to be paid any significant amount.


Isn't this where MR.SCOTT says you are not staying on topic of this post? Then you both go into your tag team shtick, where you say me and Danny are destroying the hosting industry. We don't want to give Scottie another headache.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:49 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 2276
Been Liked: 268 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
The only venues in Waterbury CT are the type that don't honor agreements for price or even hiring someone else after they agreed to hiring you.

I wonder why he didn't pay you the agreed upon price. Could it be that:

1. There wasn't a big turnout?
2. He didn't make any money off of you?
3. He wasn't very impressed with your show?

Could it be why he replaced you? I don't know what happened because I wasn't there. This is only speculation, but if it was me, I'd want to know. I would ask him point blank, why didn't you pay me the agreed upon price. I would really like to know what his reasons were.

If this is not Danny's doing, then you see what's going on LR? Bar owners don't want to pay, or pay very little. Because you and Danny are sending the message that karaoke has no value and hosts are worthless and don't deserve to be paid any significant amount.


Isn't this where MR.SCOTT says you are not staying on topic of this post? Then you both go into your tag team shtick, where you say me and Danny are destroying the hosting industry. We don't want to give Scottie another headache.


Why, yes! LR, this is where I interject and say "stay in the lane, please". The derailment can be taken into new topics.

I was hoping for a lot more responses, since I see quite a few members have been active. Yet, they haven't responded to this thread. Even our fearless forum leaders have been quiet of late. Just goes to show what we do here really has no relevance in the real world at all.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:52 am 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 5818
Been Liked: 621 times
I would think the lack of a response indicates the depths this pandemic has sunk the industry to.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 125 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech