KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Anyone have recent experience in singing at Nursing Homes Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks


premium-member

Offsite Links


It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:30 am 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:24 pm
Posts: 105
Been Liked: 5 times
I'm basically semi-retired and was kicking around the idea of singing at some area nursing homes and was wondering what songs you guys/ladies sing. Don't need a whole list just some thoughts maybe 3-5 or so.

When I was younger (now 62) it was easier since it was Sinatra genre to figure it out. Now that they are a few years older than me :( I',m guessing the Sintra genre still works but I'm sure need some more recent 60's 70's genre and what would be some songs that worked for you and everyone would like.

It's great to have a Forum such as with knowledgeable people like yourselves to ask questions to. Thanks John


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:39 am 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6714
Songs: 1
Location: Hollyweird, Ca.
Been Liked: 721 times
Should be fun..
And, don't overlook dating opportunities.. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:04 am 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:24 pm
Posts: 105
Been Liked: 5 times
jdmeister wrote:
Should be fun..
And, don't overlook dating opportunities.. :mrgreen:



i'm guessing you know this from experience :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:20 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 4199
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 190 times
I was considering doing that as well. I would think that stuff like old time rock and roll or old school Country would go over well.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:04 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:13 pm
Posts: 3282
Images: 1
Location: Florida
Been Liked: 1427 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
I was considering doing that as well. I would think that stuff like old time rock and roll or old school Country would go over well.

Not really!! More like "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window"


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:16 am 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:24 pm
Posts: 105
Been Liked: 5 times
mrmarog wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
I was considering doing that as well. I would think that stuff like old time rock and roll or old school Country would go over well.

Not really!! More like "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window"


Really? Serious or BS? Any other song suggestions?


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:18 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1644
Images: 0
Been Liked: 509 times
Any of the standards, some Gospel thrown in, 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s classics.
I am sure you already knew this though.
Are you going to be just a singing act or are you going to also display lyrics for group sing a longs?
I sang and displayed lyrics for planned group sing a longs.
Group sing a longs were also sometime spontaneous as long as the lyrics are displayed.
Actually getting someone to come up and sing “karaoke style” like we are used to did not really work with the nursing home / senior living center crowd.
Some of my most personally rewarding experiences were a result of doing these types of venues.
Also try some seated duets with some of the seniors..they will come out of there shells.

_________________
I use Bose Sound Reinforcement Equipment and I love it (as do my patrons).

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:21 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1644
Images: 0
Been Liked: 509 times
Also cut the low end frequencies a bit in consideration for those that are wearing hearing aids.

_________________
I use Bose Sound Reinforcement Equipment and I love it (as do my patrons).

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:34 am 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:24 pm
Posts: 105
Been Liked: 5 times
RLC wrote:
Any of the standards, some Gospel thrown in, 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s classics.
I am sure you already knew this though.
Are you going to be just a singing act or are you going to also display lyrics for group sing a longs?
I sang and displayed lyrics for planned group sing a longs.
Group sing a longs were also sometime spontaneous as long as the lyrics are displayed.
Actually getting someone to come up and sing “karaoke style” like we are used to did not really work with the nursing home / senior living center crowd.
Some of my most personally rewarding experiences were a result of doing these types of venues.
Also try some seated duets with some of the seniors..they will come out of there shells.



RLC Thanks for the info.. Any particular songs come to mind?


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:49 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1644
Images: 0
Been Liked: 509 times
sanj wrote:
RLC Thanks for the info.. Any particular songs come to mind?

Yeah, if I only knew if it was possible to attach or post a pdf file...I have a Senior Song Book I had put together for doing these type of venues.

_________________
I use Bose Sound Reinforcement Equipment and I love it (as do my patrons).

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:54 am 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:24 pm
Posts: 105
Been Liked: 5 times
RLC wrote:
sanj wrote:
RLC Thanks for the info.. Any particular songs come to mind?

Yeah, if I only knew if it was possible to attach or post a pdf file...I have a Senior Song Book I had put together for doing these type of venues.


RLC Is it a big file? You could email it to me if that's easier.. If not, no biggie was looking for ideas of what songs seniors liked to hear these days... Even a handful would help Thanks again John


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:59 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1644
Images: 0
Been Liked: 509 times
No not to big at all, 21 page pdf (larger font used of course) size is 185kb, would be more than happy to email it to you...pm me with your email address - Randy

sanj wrote:
RLC wrote:
sanj wrote:
RLC Thanks for the info.. Any particular songs come to mind?

Yeah, if I only knew if it was possible to attach or post a pdf file...I have a Senior Song Book I had put together for doing these type of venues.


RLC Is it a big file? You could email it to me if that's easier.. If not, no biggie was looking for ideas of what songs seniors liked to hear these days... Even a handful would help Thanks again John

_________________
I use Bose Sound Reinforcement Equipment and I love it (as do my patrons).

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:22 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1644
Images: 0
Been Liked: 509 times
Here, try this. Disregard my unique song numbering system. Give it time to load.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efcpidvk3i8sz ... k.pdf?dl=0

_________________
I use Bose Sound Reinforcement Equipment and I love it (as do my patrons).

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:08 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 3519
Images: 13
Been Liked: 1318 times
My cousin dj/kj the senior care home circuit, he’s got 5 units going for him. He told me they love the 50’s more than the 60’s music.

Play the recognizable hits of the following artists: Ray Charles / Everly Brothers / Righteous Brothers / Buddy Holly / Elvis Presley / Patti Page / Dinah Shore / Etta James / Perry Como / Coasters / Big Bopper / Dean Martin / Ricky Nelson / Drifters / Hank Williams Sr. / Paul Anka / Neil Sedaka / Tony Bennett / Andy Williams / Ella Fitzgerald / Johnny Cash / Nat King Cole / Chuck Berry / Frankie Lane / Early Beatles / McGuire Sisters / Andrew Sisters / Connie Francis / Bobby Darin / Little Richard / James Brown / Otis Redding / Eddy Arnold / Same Cooke, etc.

Side Note, joke of the day:

One day, while going to the store, I passed by a nursing home. On the front lawn were six old ladies lying naked on the grass. I thought this was a bit unusual, wanted to stop but decided I'd better get my shopping done.

On my return trip, I passed the same nursing home with the same six old ladies lying naked on the lawn. This time my curiosity got the best of me, and I went inside to talk to the Nursing Home Administrator.

"Do you know there are six ladies lying naked on your front lawn?"
"Yes," she said. "They're retired prostitutes”

“But why are they naked on your yard?”

She said: “They’re having a yard sale."
LOL

_________________
To be fortunate enough to derive an income from a source as fulfilling as karaoke music has got to be as close to heaven as we can get here on earth!


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:15 am 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6714
Songs: 1
Location: Hollyweird, Ca.
Been Liked: 721 times
Brian A wrote:
My cousin dj/kj the senior care home circuit, he’s got 5 units going for him. He told me they love the 50’s more than the 60’s music.

Play the recognizable hits of the following artists: Ray Charles / Everly Brothers / Righteous Brothers / Buddy Holly / Elvis Presley / Patti Page / Dinah Shore / Etta James / Perry Como / Coasters / Big Bopper / Dean Martin / Ricky Nelson / Drifters / Hank Williams Sr. / Paul Anka / Neil Sedaka / Tony Bennett / Andy Williams / Ella Fitzgerald / Johnny Cash / Nat King Cole / Chuck Berry / Frankie Lane / Early Beatles / McGuire Sisters / Andrew Sisters / Connie Francis / Bobby Darin / Little Richard / James Brown / Otis Redding / Eddy Arnold / Same Cooke, etc.

Side Note, joke of the day:

One day, while going to the store, I passed by a nursing home. On the front lawn were six old ladies lying naked on the grass. I thought this was a bit unusual, wanted to stop but decided I'd better get my shopping done.

On my return trip, I passed the same nursing home with the same six old ladies lying naked on the lawn. This time my curiosity got the best of me, and I went inside to talk to the Nursing Home Administrator.

"Do you know there are six ladies lying naked on your front lawn?"
"Yes," she said. "They're retired prostitutes”

“But why are they naked on your yard?”

She said: “They’re having a yard sale."
LOL


Copy paste..


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:20 pm 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:24 pm
Posts: 105
Been Liked: 5 times
RLC wrote:
Here, try this. Disregard my unique song numbering system. Give it time to load.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efcpidvk3i8sz ... k.pdf?dl=0


Thank you so much... Appreciate the help!!! John


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:22 pm 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:24 pm
Posts: 105
Been Liked: 5 times
Brian A wrote:
My cousin dj/kj the senior care home circuit, he’s got 5 units going for him. He told me they love the 50’s more than the 60’s music.

Play the recognizable hits of the following artists: Ray Charles / Everly Brothers / Righteous Brothers / Buddy Holly / Elvis Presley / Patti Page / Dinah Shore / Etta James / Perry Como / Coasters / Big Bopper / Dean Martin / Ricky Nelson / Drifters / Hank Williams Sr. / Paul Anka / Neil Sedaka / Tony Bennett / Andy Williams / Ella Fitzgerald / Johnny Cash / Nat King Cole / Chuck Berry / Frankie Lane / Early Beatles / McGuire Sisters / Andrew Sisters / Connie Francis / Bobby Darin / Little Richard / James Brown / Otis Redding / Eddy Arnold / Same Cooke, etc.

Side Note, joke of the day:

One day, while going to the store, I passed by a nursing home. On the front lawn were six old ladies lying naked on the grass. I thought this was a bit unusual, wanted to stop but decided I'd better get my shopping done.

On my return trip, I passed the same nursing home with the same six old ladies lying naked on the lawn. This time my curiosity got the best of me, and I went inside to talk to the Nursing Home Administrator.

"Do you know there are six ladies lying naked on your front lawn?"
"Yes," she said. "They're retired prostitutes”

“But why are they naked on your yard?”

She said: “They’re having a yard sale."
LOL


Brian Thanks for the input


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:12 pm 
Offline
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:57 pm
Posts: 22229
Songs: 35
Images: 3
Location: Tacoma, WA
Been Liked: 1877 times
Drowning Pool - Bodies might be good!

Don't rule anything out because they are older ;)


_________________
LIKE Lonman on Facebook - Lonman Productions Karaoke & my main site via my profile!
Image


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:16 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2001 6:55 pm
Posts: 4405
Location: New York City
Been Liked: 727 times
Brian A wrote:
My cousin dj/kj the senior care home circuit, he’s got 5 units going for him. He told me they love the 50’s more than the 60’s music.

Play the recognizable hits of the following artists: Ray Charles / Everly Brothers / Righteous Brothers / Buddy Holly / Elvis Presley / Patti Page / Dinah Shore / Etta James / Perry Como / Coasters / Big Bopper / Dean Martin / Ricky Nelson / Drifters / Hank Williams Sr. / Paul Anka / Neil Sedaka / Tony Bennett / Andy Williams / Ella Fitzgerald / Johnny Cash / Nat King Cole / Chuck Berry / Frankie Lane / Early Beatles / McGuire Sisters / Andrew Sisters / Connie Francis / Bobby Darin / Little Richard / James Brown / Otis Redding / Eddy Arnold / Same Cooke, etc.



I would add Broadway songs to that list... songs from shows like 42nd Street, Cabaret, Cats, Chicago, A Chorus Line, Evita, Fiddler on the Roof, Guys and Dolls, Jeckyll and Hyde, Les Miserables, Oklahoma, Miss Saigon, The Music Man, Phantom of the Opera, Showboat, South Pacific.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:09 pm 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:17 pm
Posts: 177
Location: Westminster, CO
Been Liked: 42 times
Make sure you will get paid !!!

One time, 6 years ago, I never got paid. The Entertainment Director loved me before she hired me. Beautiful woman, statuesque, carried herself like Jaclyn Smith, came to my house with friends for a get together. Heard me sing and told me what her line of work was and wanted to hire me as entertainment. She spent the night and half the next day!

I did the gig and was loved by all! I had a great time and so did my best friend who sang the high harmonies with Loggins and Messina and would have been an Eagle instead of Timothy B. Schmit (Poco) if they could have contacted him. She told me after the gig she would have to submit to HQ and I would get paid next week. Next week and next week and next week never happened. Come to find out from the other friends that came over that illustrious night that spilled over into the next day with her, she had a Cocaine Habit. So I guess the fruits of my talents went up her nose! I feel so used. LOL

Ran into her since then at an eatery. Tempted, but went home instead with her best friend!

GET PAID!!!

_________________
You can never argue with a crazy mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mind ----B. Joel
I have great faith in fools; My friends call it self-confidence ---- E.A. Poe
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity ----E.A. Poe
I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me

I'm just sayin'.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alan B and 120 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech