KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Karaoke Party for Senior Citizens Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:46 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Each year I organize a Christmas Party for our bank's Seniors Club (I'm the Marketing Director). I usually hire a band and we get great partipation each year on the dance floor. This year, I wanted to try something new so I've hired a KJ! Now I'm looking for advise on how to get them singing without intimidating anyone. For instance: are cordless mics better so they can sing from their seats? I know climbing up a stage WILL be a challenge for some of them. What are your thoughts on "seeding" the audience with known singers that might not be Seniors or Club members? Also, any suggestions on play lists attractive a mostly 70ish (in age) crowd would be helpful . Thanks so much.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:06 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
5678-DANCE wrote:
Each year I organize a Christmas Party for our bank's Seniors Club (I'm the Marketing Director). I usually hire a band and we get great partipation each year on the dance floor. This year, I wanted to try something new so I've hired a KJ! Now I'm looking for advise on how to get them singing without intimidating anyone. For instance: are cordless mics better so they can sing from their seats? I know climbing up a stage WILL be a challenge for some of them. What are your thoughts on "seeding" the audience with known singers that might not be Seniors or Club members? Also, any suggestions on play lists attractive a mostly 70ish (in age) crowd would be helpful . Thanks so much.

10,000 watt PA system with 4 dual 18" subs on each side of the stage is a must :lol: JK

Wireless mics might be better for this kind of a show. If you use fill music, i'd get stuff from the 30's - 50's including SOME of the 50's rock, rockabilly, country (old & some new) & blues (Motown sound).
Sound Choice has an entire series, the Reminicsing Series that cater to that age group. I'd also make sure I have a lot of country especially older country, probably not so much in the rock side, but the same as what i'd use in the fill music.

That's where i'd start.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

TO cater to the older and bolder crowd:

1. Be sure to use a larger TV/screen so they can see it. Having them squinting at a 13" TV isn't going to cut it.

2. Check your music selection for songs that will attract them. Frank is always a big hit, but also consider Louis Armstrong, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Roger Miller, Dean Miller (actually, the entire Rat Pack), Rogers and Hammerestein, etc. Remember, Sweet Home Alabama and Freebird might be big hits at the local tavern but not too enticing for an older crowd.

If you think your music selection is a little low I'd consider getting the Reminiscing Series or Reminiscing Gold Series from SoundChoice (I'm sure one of the sponsors can order it for you). These discs have larger type, and are mostly older songs. They were designed to be used by "independent older adults".

As for placing 'ringers' in the crowd, if they were singing songs that they normally danced to it would likely entice them to sing. You have to be careful that they sing as well otherwise you could end up with the Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin sound-alike doing tunes all night with them dancing. Try starting with a common song with everyone singing. Something like 'Down by the old mill stream' while walking around w/ a cordless having different people sing into it. Starting with a song they're comfortable with always helps.

I'd probably shy away from a 'stage'. Maybe a dias no more than 6-8" high w/ 1-2 steps (low-risers) or a short ramp if you do. Creating a space apart from the 'crowd' is usually enough if they're mostly sitting down.

BTW, how many people are you talking about? 150? 250? 500? more? The size of the crowd would dictate a number of other considerations regarding setup.

EDIT: er, uh, Lonman replied while I was typing this reply. Wasn't trying to beat a dead horse with the reminescing series thing. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:06 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I do a senior citizen show each month as a city event. Were able to use numerous 32 in. tv monitors along with 4 cordless mics. The stage has 2 sets of stairs and the city workers help each senior up on the stage. Even with over 10000 songs they still find a majority of the songs in those 2 Foundations from Sound Choice. I play my Readers Digest CD's between singers. Everything from 1930's to the late 50's. It's one of my favorite gigs because instead of singing metal or motown, I now to get to do my engelbert, sinatra and tom jones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:21 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I don't know how senior you're talking about, but I donate a show each month to a local assisted living facility. The groups are fairly small, 15-25 people and generally, these folks are not all that ambulatory but there are always a few who like to dance. For the majority, if we can get them clapping and singing along, that is pretty good. Usually, I hook into a big TV, and just play the music. Most of them just like to sing along from their seats. I've got some discs with Al Jolson, Bing Crosby and that ilk and they love them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:40 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Big Mike wrote:
I don't know how senior you're talking about.....

She stated "mostly 70ish (in age) crowd "

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

FYI - the Reminiscing Series by SoundChoice is recorded at a slower tempo. The Reminiscing Gold Series is recorded at the original tempo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:40 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
:shock: Hey watch out what u say about us seniors :)

Years ago I bought a cd dont remember the brand in old book it's Dk096 Was singin all the old stuff one night and a gal pushed her mom in She was in a wheel chair and she come up next to the stage while I was singin Alexander's Ragtime Band and wept...Needless to say it was one of those moments etched forever Then the next thing I knew she was singin Somewhere Over The Rainbow in a voice that conjured up visions of many formal singing engagements. In a crowd like that you never know who you are goin to run into..

My advice keep the volume down..Dont be formal and listen for what they want... For they know have to have fun ..Theyve had many years of practice :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:14 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

5678-DANCE wrote:
What are your thoughts on "seeding" the audience with known singers that might not be Seniors or Club members?

That all depends on who yer seedin' :!: :?:

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:59 pm 

Sounds like the reminiscing CD series is a must and I love the suggestion of multiple monitors ~ I never would have thought of that.

Also the suggestion to have a sing a long passing the mic from person to person is great ~ I can really see that working.

I knew I would get some great advice from this forum, and you have not dissappointed! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

This group loves to dance and will dance to anything from 5 foot 2 Eyes of Blue to Feel Like A Woman, so they are a open group.

As far as "seeding" the crowd, I thought I'd talk NHOH and Old Paint into helping out ~ they would love you two!!! How about I exchange this tiny favor for an all you can eat walleye feed and a couple of nights of kid sittin from Sam the babysitting man! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote:
10,000 watt PA system with 4 dual 18" subs on each side of the stage is a must JK

ACTUALLY one would think this, but in reality a lot of sr citizens that I play for hate bass. it tears them up if they are wearing hearing aids.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]