KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Help with set-up.. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with set-up..
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:29 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Hi guys and gals. I'm new to this karaoke scene(pun intended). I wanted to set up a karaoke system for my wife and kids but not sure in the direction to take. First off, I have a home theater system comprise of:

1. Onkyo Integra DTR-5( older receiver)
2. Klipsch RF-35 system w/velodyne subwoofer ct-120. Sound great for music, but not sure about karaoke.
3. a Sony laptop xp. I have a vga cable to my TV already which works.
4. a Denon hm-500 mic mixer/premamp my brother gave me. Not sure how it works.

I downloaded karafun on my pc and my wife enjoyed it. I guess my question is will I need additional components like the lexicon alpha 2.0 usb for my laptop to connect to my audio system for sound. I've searched the forums and having mix feelings on the idea of buying PA speakers or use what I have. My second choice was to buy a RSQ neo-22 since its reviewed as the best karaoke player for the price and skip the laptop idea. I appreciated any help and input you can give me. I am a complete newbie.

Thanks in advance,

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Help with set-up..
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:41 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
Definitely recommend you spend your money on PA speakers.

You are going to need some sort of mixer. The Denon thing you have is probably a DJ mixer, and not really the kind you want for karaoke.

You don't really need the Lexicon Alpha. While it is a very fine sound card, the sound card on your PC will be fine for this purpose. If you later become a connoisseur, then add the Lexicon at that time.

One possibility is buying a pair of cheap "DJ" speakers like:

http://tinyurl.com/3enw85w

Your receiver should drive them, though 70w is on the low end of what you need. Combine them with a Yamaha MG82CX and a mic ranging from $80-100, and you have a usable setup that can sound decent for about $450. And you'll avoid blowing your home theater speakers, which is the usual outcome when you try to use them.

I would go with the laptop. Downloadable karaoke is very available, for reasonable cost, and you can pick the songs you want one by one instead of buying a large number of filler songs you won't use. If you are having parties, you could consider buying a set like Supercore to give your guests something to sing. We had our first party with just Supercore, and it worked fine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:05 pm 

Thanks for your quick reply. I will look into getting pa speakers. I want to clarify the Denon HMA-500. I am posting a pic of it and a general description that I found. I really would like to incorporate it into my system if applicable. If this pre-amp mic mixer is too out-dated, I will not use it. Here is the description:

The Denon HMA-500 is a Mic Mixing Pre Amplifier. It has the basic key controls to sharpen and flatten the key of the music. The vocal cancel is used when the singer does not want a voice singing along. Or if the singer wants a faint guide vocal, the vocal reducer can be used. There is also a vocal changer which enables multiple audio sources to be automatically replaced with the sound from the microphone whenever sound enters the microphone.

Features
Key Control Buttons and Indicator Vocal Cancel Vocal Reducer Vocal Changer

Specifications
Microphone Jacks: Applicable impedance: 1k or less 6.3 standard jacks x 3 Key control jack: Applicable for a commercial microphone equipped with a key control switch Mini-jack x 1 Video: Input/output level and impedance 1Vp-p/175 ohms, pin jacks Audio: Input sensitivity (VDP/VCR-1/VCR2/AUX): 500 mV/47 kohms, pin jacks Output level FIXED: 500mV VARIABLE: 0 to 500mV Power Supply: AC 110 V/120 V/ 240 V, 50/60 Hz (Multiple) Power consumption: 10W Maximum external dimensions: 434(W) x 75 (H) x 290 (D) mm (117-3/32" x 2-61/64" x 11-27/64" inches) Weight: 3.7 kg (8 lbs 3 oz.)

Here is a picture of it.

http://d.rimg.com.tw/s2/e/57/92/2110217 ... _782_m.jpg

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:59 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
That's a cheap karaoke mixer. I am not positive, but it looks as if it may only accept cheap high-impedance microphone inputs. You could try it, and it might work OK. The vocal removal function is useless. The key changer would be nice if you use a DVD or CDG player, and you could probably use it even with a laptop program (though that would have its own key changer).

In any case, it isn't what the people here tend to use, so help with it will be minimal. I have one sort of like it, the SYM-600, that I made the mistake of buying early on. It has sat on the shelf for years and I would love to sell it for anything I could get for it. 8-)

People here use pro audio mixers such as the Yamaha MG82CX I mentioned.

If you have that, along with those speakers I showed, you can probably get a start. It may be all you need. In my case, I wanted better sound and those things were just stops on my road.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:05 pm 

Thanks MckieJ. Gonna try to do it the right way from the start. I'll take your advice and get the mixer and pa speakers. I just ordered a wireless mini keyboard and a usb wireless network adapter so I can plug my old pc I had in storage to the TV. I'm gonna use it as a permanent htpc strictly for karaoke if it works. If not, I still have my laptop. Can anyone recommend a good karaoke software that can:

1. create a library in my hard-drive as I add or purchase them.
2. play a song thru an alpha search function.
3. burn my cdg disc to the library.
4. put songs in a queue list.
5. easy to use.

My sister have a songbook with her karaoke player but you have to press the 5 digit number of a particular song to play it. I was hoping the search function would eliminate the songbook. I'm sure I will run into more problems. I'm doing this for home entertainment only.

Thanks!!