KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Weekend Before Christmas show. Need ideas! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:50 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I am hosting karaoke the Friday and Saturday before Christmas (18th and 19th). I'm trying to advertise as a Weekend-Before-Christmas Karaoke Bash as a way to make the show stand out and get people in the holiday spirit. Aside from decorating the venue and playing some Christmas tunes in between singers, I'm looking for ideas you might have on how to make it fun and holiday-themed. I'd prefer to stay away from contests. I want to make it something everyone can enjoy.

I've considered letting people sing two in a row as long as at least one is a Christmas song, but I think that might still anger some people that don't want to sing Christmas tunes.

Has anyone done anything unique or special for their holiday shows that worked well? Any ideas are welcome.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:12 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
JayM8377 @ Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:50 pm wrote:
I am hosting karaoke the Friday and Saturday before Christmas (18th and 19th). I'm trying to advertise as a Weekend-Before-Christmas Karaoke Bash as a way to make the show stand out and get people in the holiday spirit. Aside from decorating the venue and playing some Christmas tunes in between singers, I'm looking for ideas you might have on how to make it fun and holiday-themed. I'd prefer to stay away from contests. I want to make it something everyone can enjoy.

I've considered letting people sing two in a row as long as at least one is a Christmas song, but I think that might still anger some people that don't want to sing Christmas tunes.

Has anyone done anything unique or special for their holiday shows that worked well? Any ideas are welcome.

See if the bar will flip a few $20's to you & make it a 'Black Friday/Saturday', everyone that sings within 9-10 will get a raffle ticket - keep them there a little longer & do a drawing every half hour for those people lucky enough to get a ticket.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:31 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

You need to break out all those X-Mas and Holiday Karaoke songs - maybe a special list !!! -- Maybe get some t-shirts or cheapo promos stuff and gift wrap them and hand them out to anyone who sings a Xmas Song from your list. Maybe even have the singers PICK the box they want making it FUN. Of course if the venue could give you some CASH also ..it could be interesting.
Gag Gifts along with real gifts are good too !!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Free shot for singing a Christmas song

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:10 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Since Christmas Eve and Christmas day fall on my usual days and the venue closes early, I am going to do an Evening of Carolling and a white elephant gift exchange on the 23rd. It will be karaoke but with a focus on Christmas. But this venue is kind of a Cheers place - Not so sure this would work in all places. The gift game will be pretty time consuming but pretty funny - you can trade your gift, etc.

Maybe you can do some sort of gift thing - bring a white elephant (something you have at home or buy used), sing a song, and at a certain point everyone opens their gifts, and the trading begins - sing a song, trade your gift with what you want for a certain period of time. Just an idea.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
Hmm, maybe ask people to bring a can of food up each time they sing to be donated to a local food pantry. If you donate a can you get a raffle ticket for a prize. The bar could give away a few things and you might pick up some of these cdgs that are on clearance -- http://www.dollarstorejunkie.com/.sc/ms ... oke%20CDGs. The Karaoke Bay brand isn't half bad.

You might be able to parlay all this into some free PR for yourself and the bar in the local paper or tv station. If you're feeling especially generous you might even offer some of your wages that night and challenge the bar and or patrons to match you in a cash donation as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
I like Jam's idea, (except with a twist). You could dress like Santa, and if you have a few (2 or 3) cute girls that could dress as Santa's Cuties to give out the gifts, I think it would be alot of fun. I also think you could incorporate part of Big Jer's idea to (fill) another sack with food for a food pantry. Whoever donates to the pantry, picks a gift from Santa's sack. You could give the cheap gifts like Jam suggested!!

Srnitynow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:46 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

srnitynow @ Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:05 pm wrote:
I like Jam's idea, (except with a twist). You could dress like Santa, and if you have a few (2 or 3) cute girls that could dress as Santa's Cuties to give out the gifts, I think it would be alot of fun. I also think you could incorporate part of Big Jer's idea to (fill) another sack with food for a food pantry. Whoever donates to the pantry, picks a gift from Santa's sack. You could give the cheap gifts like Jam suggested!!

Srnitynow

Dress like Santa - I love it !

Usually in the month of December I'll do one rotation suggesting that everyone sing a Christmas song. People always seem to be very receptive to the idea. The only problem I've had with it is patrons will argue over who gets to do what Christmas song. Nothing like the Christmas spirit. LOL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
Actually Babs, YOUR avatar is EXACTLY what I had in mind for the (Santa's Cuties) attire. Must have been in my subconcious, but I'm SURE that you are one of Santa's Cuties. :wink:

Srnitynow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:30 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

LMAO I don't know I think I'd pay to fly out to see Lonman if he wore a Santa Cutie outfit. I'd suggest underwear though. LMAO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm more the Grinch type . . .

Attachments:
humbug big.jpg
humbug big.jpg [ 7.75 KiB | Viewed 4941 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:02 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Babs @ Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:30 pm wrote:
LMAO I don't know I think I'd pay to fly out to see Lonman if he wore a Santa Cutie outfit. I'd suggest underwear though. LMAO

Alrighty then! :twisted:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:22 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

With Karaoke Singers usually being a very diverse crowd ..HOLIDAY SHOW would be more Politically Correct. LOL

Get some $1 cdgs -gift wrap them and hand them out
50/50 raffels are always fun ( 50% for a charity is even better )

I'll pass on seeing Lonnie in a Santa Cutie outfit LOL :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:20 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 64 times
Lonman @ Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:02 pm wrote:
Babs @ Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:30 pm wrote:

Alrighty then! :twisted:

I would be there front row center and bring all my gay friends too....LOL to see this....underwear...nah!!!...LOL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:38 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Group singing of xmas song at the end of every rotation; Everyone who want to join can sing and non-singer are encourage to join.