KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Clapping for others Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Clapping for others
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
A great article in the Northwest Karaoke Guide on clapping for others. It's been said before, but this writer says it well:

http://www.nwkaraokeguide.net/2009%20Fi ... rooner.php

Quote:
As part of the audience, I’ll clap to each and every song. I think it’s important, especially in places where no one seems to care, to show others that this is the appropriate response, even if the singer was awful. They had the courage to get up there and do it, when so many can’t find it in themselves to try.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Clapping for others
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:32 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Completely agree - there is NOTHING worse than dead air when a person finishes singing - I don't care how poorly they may have sung a song. Interestingly, sideways caps will jump up and down and yell for each other if they slaughter a song ... if it's full of cussing and inuendo, but ignore someone who puts in an honest effort. Diaper clubs...oh brother.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:40 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Any (_!_) wipe can sit on their hands..

I clap because I enjoy the show.. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:37 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
Most KJs want as many singers at their show because more bodies mean more money in the cash register at the end of the night. This is why KJs don't want the terrible singers to be discouraged from coming back and spending more money at the venue. People who go to karaoke bars just to listen to the singers feel differently; especially if the rotation gets a little long. Most non singers come to listen to one of their friends or relatives and the terrible singers just delay their friends from getting up to sing sooner. These people would rather have the bad singers go somewhere else so they wouldn't have to listen to them. Customers have a much different agenda when they go to a karaoke bar than the bar owner or the karaoke provider. One group wants QUALITY and the other group is strictly interested in QUANTITY.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I think it's good to clap for others..but I can understand those who are there for reasons besides the Karaoke who get tired of clapping every 4 minutes -specailly if they are involved in something else or just not paying attention. If you're a singer or there with singers you should CLAP as you want others to clap for you . But if you're just hanging out -- clap or no clap ....up to you

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:47 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

BruceFan4Life @ Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:37 am wrote:
Most KJs want as many singers at their show because more bodies mean more money in the cash register at the end of the night. This is why KJs don't want the terrible singers to be discouraged from coming back and spending more money at the venue. People who go to karaoke bars just to listen to the singers feel differently; especially if the rotation gets a little long. Most non singers come to listen to one of their friends or relatives and the terrible singers just delay their friends from getting up to sing sooner. These people would rather have the bad singers go somewhere else so they wouldn't have to listen to them. Customers have a much different agenda when they go to a karaoke bar than the bar owner or the karaoke provider. One group wants QUALITY and the other group is strictly interested in QUANTITY.

Ditto's what is said here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:09 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

When I used to run under the old business in Mount Plesant, WI, I had to actually include the following "Rules Sheet" in the front of each book because things started getting a bit out of hand.

Karaoke Etiquette
(The Rules of Karaoke)

Due to the recent increase in attendance, it has been decided that an actual list of rules be set forth. These rules are meant not to hinder, but maintain everyone’s continued enjoyment of their time with us.

#1 At all times RESPECT, RESPECT, RESPECT!!!
(As any one of your singers will tell you, it takes so much more courage to get up and sing then to hide in the audience and throw out catcalls. If for no other reason than this, they deserve your applause.)

#2 Please, only one (1) request slip at a time. Bring the slip for your next song with you when you sing.
(This is being implemented to eliminate confusion for your host as well as make it easier to incorporate the new singers into the rotation.)

(If you have a regular card with us, please submit a slip with your name when you arrive so we can put you in the rotation. Once you are in the rotation, we will carry you over automatically.)

#3 Ask permission from other singers before joining them on a microphone.
(Most of our singers are performing a song because they like, and want, to do it themselves. You wouldn’t want anyone to jump in on you without asking… Would you?)

#4 Notify your host if you must leave before your next song.
(If you leave before your next turn, and we don’t know until we call you, it causes down time in which we could be getting other singers up.)

We thank all of you in advance for your understanding and cooperation in this matter and look forward to continually catering to your singing needs.

Your Friends,
Jazz-Master Entertainment

P.S. Don’t see a song you think you might like to do? Write down the title and artist for us and we will try to get it for you!

Obviously rule #1 applies to this thread, but I included the full sheet because some of you may find it useful. I have no problem with anyone using it provided you drop me a note letting me know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:27 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Quote:
#1 At all times RESPECT, RESPECT, RESPECT!!!

Hear hear!

Lucky Voice blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:36 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Sometimes an audience needs reminding. I think it has a lot to do with having to clap every 4 minutes like Jam said. If your audience gets lazy all they need is a little nudge.

Crowds are different - Some crowds only pay attention to their friends when they sing and are very clicky, only clapping for their friends. An enviroment that causes everyone to be friendly with each other helps.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:43 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
EVERYONE deserves an applause of some sort. I used to use the phrase
Clap because they were good or clap because they are done, BUT CLAP!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman @ Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:43 pm wrote:
EVERYONE deserves an applause of some sort. I used to use the phrase
Clap because they were good or clap because they are done, BUT CLAP!

Good one !!!

I've had shows were the few singers brought in many friends ...but the friends only paid attention to when one of their GROUP sang. Otherwise they were outside smoking or turned away not paying attention. WRONG maybe but it happens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
As a kj i try to phrase it differently throughout the night whether it's:

"Put you hands together for----"

"Let's hear it for the vocal stylings of..."

"Give it up for...."

"How about a nice hand for---"

"Make some noise for---"

"How about a nice round of applause for---"

The "diaper club" as Karen puts it, is usually pretty self-centered and only support their own people. I try to not only encourage everyone to clap but to also give high-fives to everyone when they leave the stage.- it breaks down the "i don't know you" walls and promotes friendship, just like hugs do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:12 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I've noticed that mostly the people who don't sing at all are the same ones who aren't very good at clapping. I guess to some of you I'm a young pup myself being in my 30's but I have to agree that the older people seem to be more appreciative than the younger crowd who clap mostly only for their friends. If you don't want to hear other people sing, why did you go to a karaoke bar? Go to Hooter's or Fox & Hound or Dave's swanky hole in the wall bar with couches.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:35 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

johnreynolds @ Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:37 pm wrote:
As a kj i try to phrase it differently throughout the night ...
I agree. If the host makes a point of creatively reminding the crowd to applaud after each singer - or to remind them a little more strongly if they don't respond - the rest is up to the audience.

Luckily most all of my attendees are polite and put their hands together.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:04 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

My Thur/Fri people are the most responsive of any crowd I've ever seen - even the people who are there eating and chatting, and no participating at all, seem to clap. Never have to remind anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

As a listener and occasional singer, I've noticed that it's very important to keep the singers motivated by clapping. It gives each singer some deserved recognition for at least trying and helps maintain the energy in the room. Plus, some singers assume that little or no response means they sang poorly but that's not always true.

It's tough to figure out why a crowd would come to a karaoke bar but not listen to or show appreciation for the singers. However one thing I don't like much is if a KJ tries to intimidate an audience into clapping when they seem to be too complacent. This doesn't happen all that often though. I wouldn't recommend yelling out things like, "geez this room is dead tonight! What's wrong with you people? Come on clap!" or "you should've stayed home if you're just going to sit there!". I've seen approaches like that backfire and keep an audience quiet just out of spite. As Babs said "give them a little nudge", but I wouldn't go overboard and get too insistent about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
Good post Odie. Very true. It's funny sometimes i'll have a singer yell out "what's wrong with you people" or "Wake the F -up" (as i remind them no-F-bombs on the mics), ONLY to have the audience ignore them even more. I will usually lighten the load by kidding what a "tough crowd we have tonight".

Most of the longer running shows i've had in the past developed the comraddery naturally and everyone supported each others efforts regardless of quality.

Nowadays it seem as if you have to "condition" everyone to be polite and applaud for singers and/or remind them every once in awhile.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:58 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

I've done new venues where clapping wasn't encourage in the past by the previous KJs. It's horrible, but you can turn it around. If it is a completely dead room I'll talk to people one on one encouraging them to clap. Once you get a couple people on board with the clapping other people seem to follow. It's almost like your changing a social norm in the room. If I try to do it over the mic it doesn't seem to have the same effect. It's as if people are waiting for someone else to do it first.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:05 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

And the crowd goes mild! :|

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

jamkaraoke @ Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:38 am wrote:
I think it's good to clap for others..but I can understand those who are there for reasons besides the Karaoke who get tired of clapping every 4 minutes -specailly if they are involved in something else or just not paying attention. If you're a singer or there with singers you should CLAP as you want others to clap for you . But if you're just hanging out -- clap or no clap ....up to you

You know that you have been frequenting karaoke places too often when you find yourself, for examples, clapping for a jukebox somewhere or the bumper music during the karaoke show.

In short, it doesn't take much "training" for someone to "learn" to clap automatically after every performance. It's not that big and effort and it helps to get everyone involved with each and every performance.

Just MHO