KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Signs of recovery Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Signs of recovery
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:00 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
If I were to solely judge where the karaoke industry is by reading this forum, I'd guess the picture is pretty bleak. All the back and forth discussion about whether you should do shows or not gives the impression of a lot of cautious KJs sitting at home and waiting to see when it's safe to come out.

When the lockdowns started in March, we saw global sales drop to about 9% of previous levels. That was incredibly scary to say the least. It was as if all the people who were thinking about becoming a KJ or building a new system suddenly put things on hold. If that had kept up for months, I'd have a very dark picture of where we are headed. However, things started improving in May, and June's sales numbers are already back to about 60% of previous levels.

Any further fears I had were wiped away Saturday after attending the first karaoke show since this started. Last week we saw a couple shows listed in Baltimore for the first time as the governor allowed restaurants and bars to open at 50% and also allowed full outside seating. Indoor live entertainment is still banned but a KJ friend advertised an outdoor show Saturday at his normal venue. Luckily the venue is right near an airport so I figured they would be ok turning up the music outside. The venue took the time and money to build a special outdoor patio that didn't exist before. As I suspected, it went over capacity and people were standing outside of the patio just to be there. There were fellow singers I hadn't seen in years. One guy I hadn't seen in a decade drove down from Pennsylvania just to be there. No one wore masks except the bar tenders and waitresses. People were drinking and hugging, and the singers were giving some of the best performances of their lives. It was clearly obvious that just a few months of no karaoke took it's toll and people missed it a lot!

You all can debate what's safe and what isn't all you want, but trust me, the singers don't care about your debate. They just want to sing, and the sooner you realize that the sooner you will start making money again.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Signs of recovery
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:19 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 526 times
:!: If a karaoke show is going to be done, it would have to be in an outside setting, since this would give the best chance of resuming activity, without endangering your patrons. This can be done in the Summer time, provided guidelines are followed. The main concern, however, will be in the Fall and Winter, when activities have to go inside, due to the weather. Since the second wave of the pandemic will probably hit at that time, then what? Will we also have a second wave of lock downs, to prevent the spread of the virus?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:36 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2086 times
We started up last Thurs fri and sat. Going full 7 nights (limited hours) beginning next Monday.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

:!: GOOD LUCK Lonman, stay safe!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:59 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Well the same place that had it outdoors last week has already switched to full indoors this week. That is how quickly they realized that singers aren't afraid. Every singer is aware of the risk and knows darn well they could stay home and reduce their risk of getting sick, but they chose to come out in overwhelming numbers. I suspect the same will be true everywhere else. Basically, if the law allows you to have karaoke, you should have it, because the people will show up. Fear is not a common trait of karaoke singers, and this pandemic helped prove it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:12 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:
Well the same place that had it outdoors last week has already switched to full indoors this week. That is how quickly they realized that singers aren't afraid. Every singer is aware of the risk and knows darn well they could stay home and reduce their risk of getting sick, but they chose to come out in overwhelming numbers. I suspect the same will be true everywhere else. Basically, if the law allows you to have karaoke, you should have it, because the people will show up. Fear is not a common trait of karaoke singers, and this pandemic helped prove it.

:!: They are still depending on the health care delivery system to take care of them when they do become infected, and need hospitalization. Let us hope that the HCHS can help them when needed, and it is not overwhelmed. It is not a matter of fear, but rather one of managing risk. There will not be herd immunity until 70% or more of the population has been exposed to the pandemic. Currently about 5% of the population has been exposed, with over 2 million reported cases, with almost 120,000 resulting deaths. Naturally doctors will do their best to treat everyone, no matter how foolish their behavior was, it just makes their jobs that much more difficult. It puts the health care providers at risk, once they are thinned out, then the rest of us will be in real trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:18 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
It is not a matter of fear, but rather one of managing risk. There will not be herd immunity until 70% or more of the population has been exposed to the pandemic.

Au contraire! Fear is precisely a form of risk management. It's called risk avoidance. You can't have herd immunity if everyone is cowering at home. Some of us have to be brave and not be afraid of getting it. Clearly you're not one of them, but thank you Karen for your insight.

The Lone Ranger wrote:
Naturally doctors will do their best to treat everyone, no matter how foolish their behavior was, it just makes their jobs that much more difficult.

The majority of what doctors do is treating people's foolish behaviors. What planet do you live on? This is what they signed up for.

The Lone Ranger wrote:
It puts the health care providers at risk, once they are thinned out, then the rest of us will be in real trouble.

Thinned out? Exactly how is that going to happen? The majority of healthcare workers are NOT at high risk of dying from coronavirus. They're generally healthy people (duh) and again, this is what they signed up for. If it isn't, then they need to pick a different career. Even if every healthcare worker in the world got coronavirus, only 1 or 2 percent would die. You call that "thinning"? Really? You need a lesson in statistics. Leave the number crunching to the people who do it for a living. The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. ...and the morons who spread it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:42 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

:!: There is an old Welsh proverb "It is easy to be brave behind a wall". Right now you are not infected, nor is any one close to you. When your neighbor is out of work it is a recession. When you are out of work it is a depression. According to Dr. Fauci we are supposed to have a vaccine sometime next year, it would seem prudent to wait out the pandemic, it is only about 7 or 8 months, that isn't that long to wait.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:47 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 109 times
Lonman wrote:
We started up last Thurs fri and sat. Going full 7 nights (limited hours) beginning next Monday.

Hey Lonnie are your patrons practicing good social distancing or are they throwing caution into the wind?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:00 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
:!: There is an old Welsh proverb "It is easy to be brave behind a wall". Right now you are not infected, nor is any one close to you. When your neighbor is out of work it is a recession. When you are out of work it is a depression. According to Dr. Fauci we are supposed to have a vaccine sometime next year, it would seem prudent to wait out the pandemic, it is only about 7 or 8 months, that isn't that long to wait.
A news report, I think it was CNN, but not entirely positive interviewed people from Arizona, one of the latest hot spots, who caught COVID-19 after going out. They were part of the crowd that went out in masses to bars and they said they were foolish to do what they did. They changed their stance that it is still to early to reopen certain types of businesses. They continued to say that they will not be going out like how they were doing, and these were younger people. So take their words with a grain of salt.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:23 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Bill Maher said it best last night...

Be careful, but unless you're vulnerable to dying from it, don't be afraid to live. That's all we're trying to say.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:31 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

:!: Yes and Bill is saying that from the safety of his home, he has not gone back to live studio audience has he? Why because he is afraid of getting sued by people attending his show who could become infected. Just like The president tonight is holding the rally, but you have to sign a waiver not to sue him or his reelection organization. When both start putting their money where there mouths are I will be more willing listen, to what they have to say. Don't pay attention to what people say, rather watch what they do.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:16 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
Don't pay attention to what people say, rather watch what they do.

I did Saturday night when they came out in large numbers to sing their hearts out. I was one of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:06 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:

I did Saturday night when they came out in large numbers to sing their hearts out. I was one of them.

:!: You were only risky your life, it is up to you to determine what price you put on it? You weren't hosting,were you? If you didn't host,then you didn't share the risk with the venue, as far as getting sued, by these folks that were singing their hearts out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:16 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
:!: You were only risky your life, it is up to you to determine what price you put on it? You weren't hosting,were you? If you didn't host,then you didn't share the risk with the venue, as far as getting sued, by these folks that were singing their hearts out.

I "risky" my life every day. So does every other person on the planet. No KJ has ever been sued over their patrons catching the germs of another. Tons of people get the flu from going to karaoke every year. Some even die. NONE have ever sued their KJ. Stop lying and pretending that it's even a thing. It's not.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:04 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:
I "risky" my life every day. So does every other person on the planet. No KJ has ever been sued over their patrons catching the germs of another. Tons of people get the flu from going to karaoke every year. Some even die. NONE have ever sued their KJ. Stop lying and pretending that it's even a thing. It's not.

:!: It's not a lie, you can be sued civilly for reckless endangerment, it is codified in English Common Law. When you actions endanger another person you can be held legally liable. Why do you think that Trump is insisting on rally goers to sign a waiver. If he couldn't be sued why bother? Just because no one has ever been sued doesn't mean it can't be done. While their may not be criminal charges, there is always damages that could be awarded. Why do you think people are suing over asbestos years after they have been exposed? The only reason KJ's haven't been sued is because most don't have deep pockets. That is why Sound Choices suits went no where. The venues are a different story, no venue, no gig.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:08 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:
No KJ has ever been sued over their patrons catching the germs of another.
This may be so, but if this is accurate why are the attendees of the RNC "REQUIRED" to sign a waiver that acknowledges that if one catches the coronavirus they cannot sue?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:43 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

bazinga wrote:
Bob Latshaw wrote:
No KJ has ever been sued over their patrons catching the germs of another.
This may be so, but if this is accurate why are the attendees of the RNC "REQUIRED" to sign a waiver that acknowledges that if one catches the coronavirus they cannot sue?

:!: Not only that bazinga but why is Moscow Mitch wanting to pass legislation to protect small business owners from being sued by patrons, using their venues and services? There would be no need if someone or business could not be sued in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:17 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

:!: This thread is supposed to looking for signs of recovery? I didn't see much of a recovery last night in Tulsa with the rally, the stadium was nowhere near filled. Those attending were not practicing social distancing, wearing masks, were indoors, hugging, screaming all of things you are not supposed to do. There were more masks outside, but then again they were outside. What was telling was six of the campaign staffers tested positive before the event. They were taking the temperatures of those attending, and required rally participants to sign an electronic waiver, to protect rally organizers, and the president from being sued.

No one wants to admit the virus is with us and will be affecting our lives for sometime to come. Facts are stubborn things, it is only stubborn people that choose to ignore them. For those hosts that want to start business again, any activity that promotes the spread of the virus is not a public service. You cannot have your cake and eat it to. You have to decide what is more important to you, safeguarding your patrons, or going back to work. I know for several of you it is a matter of economic survival to go back to work. That is why the current system needs fixing, so workers won't have to choose between working to live, and not working to keep others safe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:09 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 899 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
:!: This thread is supposed to looking for signs of recovery? I didn't see much of a recovery last night in Tulsa with the rally, the stadium was nowhere near filled. Those attending were not practicing social distancing, wearing masks, were indoors, hugging, screaming all of things you are not supposed to do. There were more masks outside, but then again they were outside. What was telling was six of the campaign staffers tested positive before the event. They were taking the temperatures of those attending, and required rally participants to sign an electronic waiver, to protect rally organizers, and the president from being sued.

No one wants to admit the virus is with us and will be affecting our lives for sometime to come. Facts are stubborn things, it is only stubborn people that choose to ignore them. For those hosts that want to start business again, any activity that promotes the spread of the virus is not a public service. You cannot have your cake and eat it to. You have to decide what is more important to you, safeguarding your patrons, or going back to work. I know for several of you it is a matter of economic survival to go back to work. That is why the current system needs fixing, so workers won't have to choose between working to live, and not working to keep others safe.

Attachment:
104570369_4025667184173014_1806459952542154264_n.jpg
104570369_4025667184173014_1806459952542154264_n.jpg [ 88.1 KiB | Viewed 1510 times ]