KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Worst Karaoke Brands Out There? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:42 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 18 times
hi, I'm trying to clean up my hard drive and I thought this might be 1 way to do it...love your opinion..

tyyyyyyyyyyyy

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:04 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
They all have their diamonds in the rough, some that are solely unique to them only. Me personally wouldn't delete anything.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:15 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

hi lonman, well EP is history..lol..so is DK...I found most of those play the melody...I just hate looking up say, LOVE ME TENDER and find 47 copies..

ty for the advice..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:00 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
get ready max. Here it comes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:08 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

If I found myself in your situation max, and really wanted to save hard drive space, I'd get a new external hard drive and only put the 5 or 6 biggest brands that I have. I'd probably go with SC, DK, PHM, CB and Karaoke Version. I'd keep the rest of my tracks on a separate hard drive and keep it handy just in case someone asks for an obscure song that isn't on your main show hard drive. If you don't have one to one on your SC tracks; you might want to delete those from your main drive and try to use other brands instead. You wouldn't want to get sued for using them if you don't have one of PEP's fancy licenses. Any time that uyou get a request for a song that isn't on your main show hard drive; just drag it from your other drive to your main show drive and the next time you load up your karaoke software it will be there in your "pot luck" folder.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:28 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

hi KJKiller..IF that is your real name...truth is I really don't need the space I have like 4 h/d. 1 is 4 tb, and no it's not hurting anything I guess I just hate seeing them there taking up space..does that make since? but If I have never used a brand track like let's say EP. then odds are I never will..kinda like having 8 forks..why?

tyyyyyyyyyy Killer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:21 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

What is EP?

You never know what is going to be used. I have some discs/songs that I bought in the 90's that never been cued up before a couple years ago, now some of those are regular songs. Can always just go through the drive and simply delete the duplicate tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:41 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Let's do some arithmetic. I'm gonna just use some round numbers to make it easier to explain. Let's say a certain KJ has 400,000 songs in his library and has 40 or 50 versions of some songs. These 400,000 karaoke tracks take up about 2 terabytes of space on a hard drive. My guess is that there are about 40,000 individual titles available in karaoke format. That is about 10% of the 400,000 tracks that the KJ has. 10% of the hard drive being used is only 200 gigabytes of space. To go through a hard drive to delete 360 ,000 songs would be a task that would include about 1,800,000 mouse clicks, not to mention the time that it would take to locate each track that needed to be deleted. Let's say that those 3 clicks per song take about 3 seconds to make. That means that you would have to spend 20 days of non stop clicking to delete the duplicate songs. If you only spent 8 hours a day clicking, it would take over 60 days to get all of the songs deleted. If you have a 4TB hard drive and only half of it is being used; why go through the trouble of clearing out the duplicates? I just thought of something. Run two different karaoke software programs. Use my original suggestion on one of them and put all of the other songs on the second software that you will only check if the songs you're looking for isn't on the first program? That would probably bring down your total of "LOVE ME TENDER" tracks down to a manageable 5 or 6. You could partition that 4TB hard into two partitions. One partition could be 3.5 TBs and that would contain your entire collection because you probably wouldn't want to lose the songs that you deleted forever. The other 500 gigabytes would easily contain your 40,000 unique titles with room for another 40 or 50 thousand new titles that may become available while you are still alive but I doubt that you will ever fill that partition because that many new songs just don't seem to becoming available at that fast a rate. Good luck with your project. I hope you get it done in record time and are tickled pink with your accomplishment. Let us know how many songs end up in your smaller partition. I'm very curious about what that number might be and how many hours you spent working on it.

Last edited by KJKILLER on Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:16 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
KJKILLER wrote:
Let's do some arithmetic. I'm gonna just use some round numbers to make it easier to explain. Let's say a certain KJ has 400,000 songs in his library and has 40 or 50 versions of some songs. These 400,000 karaoke tracks take up about 2 terabytes of space on a hard drive. My guess is that there are about 40,000 individual titles available in karaoke format. That is about 10% of the 400,000 tracks that the KJ has. 10% of the hard drive being used is only 200 megabytes of space. To go through a hard drive to delete 360 ,000 songs would be a task that would include about 1,800,000 mouse clicks, not to mention the time that it would take to locate each track that needed to be deleted. Let's say that those 3 clicks per song take about 3 seconds to make. That means that you would have to spend 20 days of non stop clicking to delete the duplicate songs. If you only spent 8 hours a day clicking, it would take over 60 days to get all of the songs deleted. If you have a 4TB hard drive and only half of it is being used; why go through the trouble of clearing out the duplicates? I just thought of something. Run two different karaoke software programs. Use my original suggestion on one of them and put all of the other songs on the second software that you will only check if the songs you're looking for isn't on the first program? That would probably bring down your total of "LOVE ME TENDER" tracks down to a manageable 5 or 6. You could partition that 4TB hard into two partitions. One partition could be 3.5 TBs and that would contain your entire collection because you probably wouldn't want to lose the songs that you deleted forever. The other 500 megabytes would easily contain your 40,000 unique titles with room for another 40 or 50 thousand new titles that may become available while you are still alive but I doubt that you will ever fill that partition because that many new songs just don't seem to becoming available at that fast a rate. Good luck with your project. I hope you get it done in record time and are tickled pink with your accomplishment. Let us know how many songs end up in your smaller partition. I'm very curious about what that number might be and how many hours you spent working on it.

Or, Actually buy the tracks the right way.... No one who actually purchased the tracks has this third world problem. The most I have is six. I have a setting I added to my program where I can tag the best\default version. If I have that setting checked, I only see default versions. I can always uncheck it if I like. I can tag as many versions as a default if I need to. Freebird: I have a single version, LP version without the outro, and a Full version all tagged. So I see three but I have the different versions described in the title so it's easy to deal with.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:14 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
MrBoo wrote:
Or, Actually buy the tracks the right way.... No one who actually purchased the tracks has this third world problem.

I wasn't going to bring it up, but now that MrBoo did: Max, where did you get all the lousy tracks that you want to delete?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:15 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

MrBoo wrote:
Or, Actually buy the tracks the right way.... No one who actually purchased the tracks has this third world problem.

I wasn't going to bring it up, but now that MrBoo did: Max, where did you get all the lousy tracks that you want to delete?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:46 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I knew it was just a matter of time. LOL I warned uyou.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:02 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
[quote]Let's do some arithmetic. I'm gonna just use some round numbers to make it easier to explain. Let's say a certain KJ has 400,000 songs in his library and has 40 or 50 versions of some songs. These 400,000 karaoke tracks take up about 2 terabytes of space on a hard drive. My guess is that there are about 40,000 individual titles available in karaoke format. That is about 10% of the 400,000 tracks that the KJ has. 10% of the hard drive being used is only 200 megabytes of space. To go through a hard drive to delete 360 ,000 songs would be a task that would include about 1,800,000 mouse clicks, not to mention the time that it would take to locate each track that needed to be deleted. Let's say that those 3 clicks per song take about 3 seconds to make. That means that you would have to spend 20 days of non stop clicking to delete the duplicate songs. If you only spent 8 hours a day clicking, it would take over 60 days to get all of the songs deleted. If you have a 4TB hard drive and only half of it is being used; why go through the trouble of clearing out the duplicates? I just thought of something. Run two different karaoke software programs. Use my original suggestion on one of them and put all of the other songs on the second software that you will only check if the songs you're looking for isn't on the first program? That would probably bring down your total of "LOVE ME TENDER" tracks down to a manageable 5 or 6. You could partition that 4TB hard into two partitions. One partition could be 3.5 TBs and that would contain your entire collection because you probably wouldn't want to lose the songs that you deleted forever. The other 500 megabytes would easily contain your 40,000 unique titles with room for another 40 or 50 thousand new titles that may become available while you are still alive but I doubt that you will ever fill that partition because that many new songs just don't seem to becoming available at that fast a rate. Good luck with your project. I hope you get it done in record time and are tickled pink with your accomplishment. Let us know how many songs end up in your smaller partition. I'm very curious about what that number might be and how many hours you spent working on it.[/quote]

I'm a retired computer consultant and avid karaoke singer. I only play at being a KJ by hosting Karoke at the apt bldg for the elderly where I live. I pretty much accomplished this by writing several programs to find and eliminate duplicate titles from my collection of about 250,000 songs taking up 1tb of HDD space. Got it down to less than 50,000 and less than 200gb of space. Let me tell you IT WASN"T EASY!!! I can't imagine how anyone could hope to do it manually.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:19 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 395 times
max wrote:
hi KJKiller..IF that is your real name...truth is I really don't need the space I have like 4 h/d. 1 is 4 tb, and no it's not hurting anything I guess I just hate seeing them there taking up space..does that make since? but If I have never used a brand track like let's say EP. then odds are I never will..kinda like having 8 forks..why?

tyyyyyyyyyy Killer

Keeping them makes more sense. Everyone has their favorite versions to sing from. I might like the GEM Series version of Paradise by the dashboard lights while Lonman might prefer the All Hits version and Mr Boo might like the Sunfly version, all over the baseball monologue. Better to try and keep our singers happy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
Sound Images

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:38 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

max wrote:
hi lonman, well EP is history..lol..so is DK...I found most of those play the melody...I just hate looking up say, LOVE ME TENDER and find 47 copies..

ty for the advice..
How does one have 47 copies of Love Me Tender? I've been buying music since 1992 and only have 6.
And I tell you what you may personally hate DK but many other singers find them more desirable BECAUSE of the faint guide melody and often lowered keys.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:21 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
lewmur wrote:
I'm a retired computer consultant and avid karaoke singer. I only play at being a KJ by hosting Karoke at the apt bldg for the elderly where I live. I pretty much accomplished this by writing several programs to find and eliminate duplicate titles from my collection of about 250,000 songs taking up 1tb of HDD space. Got it down to less than 50,000 and less than 200gb of space. Let me tell you IT WASN"T EASY!!! I can't imagine how anyone could hope to do it manually.

it was a lot easier than actually buying the music like we did.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:29 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

MrBoo wrote:
KJKILLER wrote:
Let's do some arithmetic. I'm gonna just use some round numbers to make it easier to explain. Let's say a certain KJ has 400,000 songs in his library and has 40 or 50 versions of some songs. These 400,000 karaoke tracks take up about 2 terabytes of space on a hard drive. My guess is that there are about 40,000 individual titles available in karaoke format. That is about 10% of the 400,000 tracks that the KJ has. 10% of the hard drive being used is only 200 megabytes of space. To go through a hard drive to delete 360 ,000 songs would be a task that would include about 1,800,000 mouse clicks, not to mention the time that it would take to locate each track that needed to be deleted. Let's say that those 3 clicks per song take about 3 seconds to make. That means that you would have to spend 20 days of non stop clicking to delete the duplicate songs. If you only spent 8 hours a day clicking, it would take over 60 days to get all of the songs deleted. If you have a 4TB hard drive and only half of it is being used; why go through the trouble of clearing out the duplicates? I just thought of something. Run two different karaoke software programs. Use my original suggestion on one of them and put all of the other songs on the second software that you will only check if the songs you're looking for isn't on the first program? That would probably bring down your total of "LOVE ME TENDER" tracks down to a manageable 5 or 6. You could partition that 4TB hard into two partitions. One partition could be 3.5 TBs and that would contain your entire collection because you probably wouldn't want to lose the songs that you deleted forever. The other 500 megabytes would easily contain your 40,000 unique titles with room for another 40 or 50 thousand new titles that may become available while you are still alive but I doubt that you will ever fill that partition because that many new songs just don't seem to becoming available at that fast a rate. Good luck with your project. I hope you get it done in record time and are tickled pink with your accomplishment. Let us know how many songs end up in your smaller partition. I'm very curious about what that number might be and how many hours you spent working on it.

Or, Actually buy the tracks the right way.... No one who actually purchased the tracks has this third world problem. The most I have is six. I have a setting I added to my program where I can tag the best\default version. If I have that setting checked, I only see default versions. I can always uncheck it if I like. I can tag as many versions as a default if I need to. Freebird: I have a single version, LP version without the outro, and a Full version all tagged. So I see three but I have the different versions described in the title so it's easy to deal with.

Mr boo, just how many tracks do you have? and how much money do you think you have invested in them?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:01 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

max wrote:
Mr boo, just how many tracks do you have? and how much money do you think you have invested in them?

I do own around 9000 original factory made karaoke cd's. I have most of them (except for my last purchase of 1220 cd's) ripped to my show laptop internal drives. There are many songs that have literally dozens of nearly identical versions of the same song. They just sit there unused, until someday someone asks for that version. Those days are less and less likely as time goes by.

Why, because nearly every karaoke host out there has an illegal, fully loaded hard drive, and usually plays SC, CB, DK, PHM, ZM, SF, etc because they are consistently good quality. Do I like that all these KJ's have all that music that they never paid for..... NO! I have spent so much time using KJ File Manager to correct all my misspelled file names, that the ripping software grabbed from the sky, that looking through my files is a breeze as compared to 98% of the KJ's out there.

So where am I going with this? I have so much more skin in the game than most everyone does, that it makes me have to be better! You can have every karaoke song ever created and you will have a hard time competing with me. I have no idea how much I have invested, but it's probably way more than my wife thinks :lol:

BTW Max I have posted photos my karaoke collection here at KS many times if you care to search. Lonman, Chris A and Brian have done so as well. Can we see yours?

!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:50 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 10 times
Isn't 10% of 2TB, 2GB not 200Mb