KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Sound Choice changes - and a new licensing program "Q & A" Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 48 times
...Last night, after reading a few other posters' comments and posting a couple of my own, about the Old SC-New PEP Karaoke Company, I went over to their newly formed website and again did a quick read over. At this point I was just consuming up all info there, not only thinking about myself but also all other KJs, Commercial Venues and our future with this newly formed company, including their policies and how it affects all involved.

...Again, that was last night but then of course today, I went back to their website to look over some more of their new policies and I'm back to being even more confused after reading the following:

>What license do I need?
PEP Site...If you're a karaoke operator, meaning that you own one or more karaoke rigs that you use (or can use) to play shows at multiple locations, you need a HELP Operator License.
ME... That makes sense. Assuming you're not a GEM or Certified KJ, correct?

PEP Site...If you're a venue that owns its own karaoke system, you need a HELP Venue License.
Me... That makes sense. Assuming the Venue is not a Certified Host or GEM Holder, correct?

PEP Site...If you're a venue that hires outside operators to put on karaoke shows where Sound Choice®-branded music is played, you can either (a) hire only operators who have a HELP Operator License, or (b) get your own HELP Blanket License, which covers any operator you hire.
Me...So, with the HELP Blanket License the Venue could use any host including (Certified KJ, GEM Holder KJ, Loaded Hard Drive KJ, Original Disc Based KJ or HELP Licensed KJ), correct? The Venue is the one responsible for the paying the fee for the HELP Blanket License, if they choose to, correct?

How much do licenses cost?
PEP Site...The standard monthly license fee is $199 per system for the HELP Operator License and $299 for the HELP Venue License or the HELP Blanket License.
Me...The $299.00 for the HELP Blanket License, is that per month or for the year?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:28 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
MadMusicOne wrote:
PEP Site...The standard monthly license fee is $199 per system for the HELP Operator License and $299 for the HELP Venue License or the HELP Blanket License.
Me...The $299.00 for the HELP Blanket License, is that per month or for the year?
Those fees are monthly for both KJs and Venues. What I don't understand, is why a Venue's monthly fees would be more than a KJ's.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:57 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I've got a question (probably something that only Mr. Harrington can answer)....

I've noticed that on PEP's website, they included SC's listing of Certified KJs and GEM Licensees (although I do know of at least 2 NY KJs who got the GEM series, and they are not listed here). I'm curious as to whether or not PEP is going to start listing any KJs who are (will be) paying the monthly fee for their Media-Shifted rig/s.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

cueball wrote:
MadMusicOne wrote:
Those fees are monthly for both KJs and Venues. What I don't understand, is why a Venue's monthly fees would be more than a KJ's.

...Interesting, isn't it?

...A little extra food for thought here: regardless if the KJ has to pay or not (Help Operator vs. GEM Holder vs. Certified), if the Venue still ends having to pay, then that comes out of their bottom line which has to be made up somewhere else (higher prices or a lesser rate for the KJ's service). And before anyone says, "well, if a Venue can't afford to pay the $299.00 monthly license fee, maybe they shouldn't be offering Karaoke at their establishment. Now that's true to a degree but sometimes when a service or product is no longer cost effective and more of a burden then maybe it's time to move onto something else.

Last edited by MadMusicOne on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

cueball wrote:
I've got a question (probably something that only Mr. Harrington can answer)....

I've noticed that on PEP's website, they included SC's listing of Certified KJs and GEM Licensees (although I do know of at least 2 NY KJs who got the GEM series, and they are not listed here). I'm curious as to whether or not PEP is going to start listing any KJs who are (will be) paying the monthly fee for their Media-Shifted rig/s.

...Am sure or I think Mr. Harrington will be able to answer that question but IMHO, I believe all KJs and Venues should be listed there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:13 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
cueball wrote:
MadMusicOne wrote:

Simple. They have more money to be intimidated out of and more to lose in (what shouldn't be with proper knowledge- which many lack) and extended court battle.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:52 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

HarringtonLaw wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
HarringtonLaw wrote:

The truth is that change is coming in karaoke, and sooner than you expect. The future isn't media-focused at all.

you've been saying that for years, care to elaborate any more.....
didn't think so.

I'm not at liberty to elaborate at present, except to say that an announcement is expected in a matter of days.

HarringtonLaw wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
I predict - No Matter what the announcement is, there will be those that will respond negatively. Even if the announcement is that Sound Choice is giving everyone $10,000. People will find fault in it.

They'd complain that it wasn't $20,000.

At this point, the new launch isn't going to be ready by tomorrow. We're still waiting on our vendor, and as everyone who's dealt with web designers and programmers knows, deadlines are almost always treated as soft. I've previewed the new site so far, and it's looking great--the vendor's just working out some bugs in the build-out.

And it's not just a new site--when it launches, there will be a radical change in the way SC does business. In particular, there's a new product/program that we think a lot of KJs are going to like, and it's worth a lot more than $10,000 (but costs a lot less). I can't say more, except to say that HELP is on the way.

I'm curious how you (Mr. Harrington) thought that a lot of KJs would like this. With the exception of the few people who this new policy will not effect (people like Chris and Athena, who are already either Certified KJs or GEM Licensees, or people like me and Joe C. (even rarer) who are ODB KJs (and in my case actually certified)), why would anyone else be happy or "like" this change in policy? I won't even bother to re-state all of the arguments and opinions we (as a collective in this forum) have already posted in the past week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:14 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
cueball wrote:
I'm curious how you (Mr. Harrington) thought that a lot of KJs would like this. With the exception of the few people who this new policy will not effect (people like Chris and Athena, who are already either Certified KJs or GEM Licensees, or people like me and Joe C. (even rarer) who are ODB KJs (and in my case actually certified)), why would anyone else be happy or "like" this change in policy? I won't even bother to re-state all of the arguments and opinions we (as a collective in this forum) have already posted in the past week.
Cue, they don't care who likes this policy. They are trying to get rich by making people pay "protection" money. It's the OLDEST scam in the book. The Mafia has been doing it for 120 years. "Pay us every month and nothing will ever happen to you. Don't pay us, and bad things will happen." I wouldn't be surprised if they started charging those don't jump right on the band wagon, a "vig".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
MadMusicOne wrote:

Per month.

cueball wrote:

As a general principle, venues benefit more financially from karaoke than do the KJs. More financial benefit means a higher payment.

cueball wrote:

Any GEM licensee or Certified KJ who is not listed on the new site but who wants to be should send an email to customercare@pep.rocks to request it.

We plan to add HELP licensees to the list.

MadMusicOne wrote:
...A little extra food for thought here: regardless if the KJ has to pay or not (Help Operator vs. GEM Holder vs. Certified), if the Venue still ends having to pay, then that comes out of their bottom line which has to be made up somewhere else (higher prices or a lesser rate for the KJ's service). And before anyone says, "well, if a Venue can't afford to pay the $299.00 monthly license fee, maybe they shouldn't be offering Karaoke at their establishment. Now that's true to a degree but sometimes when a service or product is no longer cost effective and more of a burden then maybe it's time to move onto something else.

Only one entity will need to pay for any given show. If the venue owns the system, the venue needs a license. If the venue hires in a KJ, either the KJ will need a license or the venue can buy the Blanket license that will cover those activities.

A big part of the problem in this industry is oversaturation. That drives down venue profits and KJ fees, and it's only made possible through piracy. If raising the cost of piracy prices some venues out of the market for pirate karaoke, so be it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:35 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

cueball wrote:

Here are the facts:

1. Only one rights holder among the many who have rights in connection with SC tracks has ever engaged in any enforcement activity.
2. The HELP licensing program covers the rights held by that rights holder in connection with the complete 16,500+ track catalog.
3. The conservative cost to acquire that entire catalog on discs is in excess of $44,000--if you can find it.
4. The price of a HELP license is $199 per month, per system, with significant discounts for a term agreement or prepayment.

At the top price, the payback on $44,000 vs. $199 per month is more than 18 years.

At the discounted price, the payback on $44,000 vs. $129 per month is more than 28 years.

Why would KJs not absolutely love that arrangement?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:53 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
HarringtonLaw wrote:
2. The HELP licensing program covers the rights held by that rights holder in connection with the complete 16,500+ track catalog.
3. The conservative cost to acquire that entire catalog on discs is in excess of $44,000--if you can find it.
4. The price of a HELP license is $199 per month, per system, with significant discounts for a term agreement or prepayment.

At the top price, the payback on $44,000 vs. $199 per month is more than 18 years.

At the discounted price, the payback on $44,000 vs. $129 per month is more than 28 years.

Why would KJs not absolutely love that arrangement?

Well here you make it sound like a KJ would have access to all 16500+ tracks for the monthly fee (very deceptive)
If it were true, of course a KJ would be all over that.
Now if you can kindly point us in the direction where we can "pirate" all 16500+ tracks at the required bitrate and graphics quality. (as this does seem what you would like us to do with your (meaning the web site) "we don't care where you acquired your tracks, just pay us $199/month" statement)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
HarringtonLaw wrote:
MadMusicOne wrote:

Per month.

cueball wrote:

As a general principle, venues benefit more financially from karaoke than do the KJs. More financial benefit means a higher payment.

cueball wrote:

Any GEM licensee or Certified KJ who is not listed on the new site but who wants to be should send an email to customercare@pep.rocks to request it.

We plan to add HELP licensees to the list.

MadMusicOne wrote:

Only one entity will need to pay for any given show. If the venue owns the system, the venue needs a license. If the venue hires in a KJ, either the KJ will need a license or the venue can buy the Blanket license that will cover those activities.

A big part of the problem in this industry is oversaturation. That drives down venue profits and KJ fees, and it's only made possible through piracy. If raising the cost of piracy prices some venues out of the market for pirate karaoke, so be it.

I cannot imagine that this approach would get any kind of blessing from the publishers and/or the PRO organizations I read about on this forum, since pricing venues out of karaoke shows lowers the number of locations from which they can collect fees. Even a 10% reduction of income streams would get SOMEONE'S attention...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:11 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

RLC wrote:
Well here you make it sound like a KJ would have access to all 16500+ tracks for the monthly fee (very deceptive)
If it were true, of course a KJ would be all over that.
Now if you can kindly point us in the direction where we can "pirate" all 16500+ tracks at the required bitrate and graphics quality. (as this does seem what you would like us to do with your (meaning the web site) "we don't care where you acquired your tracks, just pay us $199/month" statement)

90% of the KJs out there don't seem to have much of a problem finding SC material to pirate, so I don't think our assistance is needed in that regard, nor would it be given if asked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:13 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

doowhatchulike wrote:
I cannot imagine that this approach would get any kind of blessing from the publishers and/or the PRO organizations I read about on this forum, since pricing venues out of karaoke shows lowers the number of locations from which they can collect fees. Even a 10% reduction of income streams would get SOMEONE'S attention...

It would be a rare venue indeed that was paying BMI/ASCAP/SESAC, who dropped karaoke and as a result of that also dropped the PRO license fees. Certainly not 10%.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:17 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

HarringtonLaw wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:

It would be a rare venue indeed that was paying BMI/ASCAP/SESAC, who dropped karaoke and as a result of that also dropped the PRO license fees. Certainly not 10%.

Hmmm...was I mistaken the many times that I read that the karaoke fee to those organizations is separate from the other fees they might have to pay them?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

doowhatchulike wrote:
Hmmm...was I mistaken the many times that I read that the karaoke fee to those organizations is separate from the other fees they might have to pay them?

Karaoke is one component in a complex calculation that results in BMI and ASCAP's fees. The karaoke fee isn't separate per se, and it's certainly not something that would necessarily be reported to the publishers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

HarringtonLaw wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:

Karaoke is one component in a complex calculation that results in BMI and ASCAP's fees. The karaoke fee isn't separate per se, and it's certainly not something that would necessarily be reported to the publishers.

Yes, I remember reading how that most other countries do not have this somewhat mysterious and probably antiquated "complex calculation" and seem to get by just fine. I have one word for you (borrowed from Ronald Reagan): DEREGULATION...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:49 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 36 times
HarringtonLaw wrote:

It is however one of the more expensive selects.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

HarringtonLaw wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:

I read this answer again, and it just seemed much less plausible than it did the first time I read it. Even if karaoke is but one component of this formula, it IS a component, and should be able to be tracked from month to month and year to year, just like any other component, and ratios are established to note the increases and decreases.

I did some research, and my assumption was correct: If what I said was off a bit semantically, then I should rephrase--I cannot help but think that this kind of information is available to the ones that represent the rights of the publishers/writers/etc. To think they would be selective about what revenue streams are reported, and which ones are not, is ludicrous, and even if it were possible that it would be overlooked, that would only feeds the negative stereotype the karaoke industry already seems to have...

Last edited by doowhatchulike on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My wife, who shares my compassion for consumer rights, read a little about what is being discussed, and we thought a little parody might be entertaining:

Judge John Q McKJ:
Mr. Harringtini?

Vinny Harringtini:
Yes sir?

Judge John Q McKJ:
Mr. Harringtini, that is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent objection.

Vinny Harringtini:
Thank you.

Judge John Q McKJ:
Overruled.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next