KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - If You Had A "Do Over".... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:06 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
I understand that probably most here are now PC based, and like it.

My question is, if you HADN'T changed over:

1) Would you do so now

OR
2) Would you sit back and wait for the dust to settle and then change over

OR
3) Just stay disc based just in case..

NOTE!: There is no "wrong answer" here. I just don't know how to do a "Poll" thread, and am curious how the majority would vote...

" Disc based and loving it..."

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:16 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
I would still change over. Just to make my life easier.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:34 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
we would still change over.....discs were just getting too much to handle. We have downsized and made everything much lighter and compact. :lol:

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:44 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
JoeChartreuse wrote:
I understand that probably most here are now PC based, and like it.

My question is, if you HADN'T changed over:

1) Would you do so now

OR
2) Would you sit back and wait for the dust to settle and then change over

OR
3) Just stay disc based just in case..

NOTE!: There is no "wrong answer" here. I just don't know how to do a "Poll" thread, and am curious how the majority would vote...

If I hadn't changed over yet, I probably still would at this point. Although I could and would (if required) run a disc based show - actually just as fast as a computer show as I always used 2 or more players with the next song always pre-cued & ready (each with their own monitor for the host so I can pause at the best time. I like the computer for some added features like rotation announcement (not automated rotation, I still manually do that - but to display the next 3 singers and estimated wait time on the bar tv's), scrolling marquees (showing a constant reminder of events, bar staff, etc), singer history, slideshow pics of singers & past bar fun in between songs, etc. But if I had to go back to disc, I would most likely convert over to Compuhost for all those features but be able to play the disc players via a capture card through Compuhost.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:22 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
i would still change over. if necessary, i could run a disc based show through Siglos, but i like the options on a comp based system.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 118 times
I'd definitely still change over. Carrying all those discs was killing me.

Birdofsong

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:43 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
Still change over, but rip em as WAVs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:23 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 10 times
twansenne wrote:
Still change over, but rip em as WAVs

Did that in Feb. with my sc & cb discs. Took three 18 hour days, 4 external & 1 internal going non-stop. Quite the grind.

I would definitely switch. I can't imagine going back, I would give it up first.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:45 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 307 times
I absolutely would go computer based. The enhancements to my show that the computer has given me would be very hard to give up. The rotation management, scrolling announcements, visualizations, hot key sound effects, easy bumper music, and history reporting have all made my shows streamlined and more fun.

I run DigitalKJ on my computer and with two standard cd drives I can run a disk-based show smoothly from my computer as I did before I ripped my discs and still have all the benefits of a computer based show. The rotation management alone is something I would never consider giving up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
Sometimes I still run a disk based show but I still use the kiosks and have a computer keeping the rotation. Using disks really slows the show down due to the load time and my hosting style and the fact that I sometimes push the wrong button. It's so much easier just to click the "Play" button.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:01 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I'm kind of surprised. Yes, I understand - once again- that you like what you have, but that wasn't my question. It was whether you would change over at this time given the current sloppy litigous situation, and it's attendant inconvenience to PC KJs.

If the answers above were to the question as re-stated, I confess that I'm amazed.....but OK. Thanks to all who were kind enough to answer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
Yes then, a resounding yes. If I had to do it all over again I would. I see the legal argument as silly. I bought a license to play the music from a digital source. Call it MP3 or FLAC or WAV or PCM it's all binary and what I paid for is analog. When the statute for phono-recordings was written the recordings wore out with use. This is not the case with a pressed CD. Making a copy does not extend the life of the license therefore it does not infringe on copyright. The argument of format shifting is also silly. If the player does not shift the CD data you won't get any music.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:06 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

JoeChartreuse wrote:
I'm kind of surprised. Yes, I understand - once again- that you like what you have, but that wasn't my question. It was whether you would change over at this time given the current sloppy litigous situation, and it's attendant inconvenience to PC KJs.

If the answers above were to the question as re-stated, I confess that I'm amazed.....but OK. Thanks to all who were kind enough to answer.

I thought I answered you, yes I still would - if discs became the only alternative, i'd continue using the computer via Compuhost, a video capture card & outside players to get all the computer benefits without actually having to have anything on hard drive!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:08 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

exweedfarmer wrote:
Yes then, a resounding yes. If I had to do it all over again I would. I see the legal argument as silly. I bought a license to play the music from a digital source. Call it MP3 or FLAC or WAV or PCM it's all binary and what I paid for is analog. When the statute for phono-recordings was written the recordings wore out with use. This is not the case with a pressed CD. Making a copy does not extend the life of the license therefore it does not infringe on copyright. The argument of format shifting is also silly. If the player does not shift the CD data you won't get any music.

:roll: Love to see THAT case in court! :rotflmao:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
Yes I would still change over. I made the change last December and do not regret it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:27 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 307 times
JoeChartreuse wrote:

To clairify my answer, yes I would make the change, yes yes yes. Utilizing a computer as a tool in my show has given me the ability to run a much more interesting and professional show. If I operated my completely legal show, or anything I do, out of paranoia from frivolous lawsuits I might as well lock myself up in my house and never make contact with the outside world.

If a situation should result that outlaws any music on hard drive, I could still do my show without changes to my current system. I use a desktop computer (rigged for portabilty) with two standard cd drives that play all of my disks and any disks that my singers bring to me. No need for any additional hardware or software changes.

So yes, the current situation will not scare me away from running the best possible and most professional show I can and utilizing every tool at my disposal to meet that goal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
I did the chang ove at the first of the year but, I waited until I was comfortable with what was going on in our market with investigations and to make sure that I was compliant to what CB looking for from a 1:1 KJ. Was a pain to rip over 400 disc but love running on computer after a learning curve.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

OK, just making sure my question was clear. Remember, I don't think the legal stuff has any merit either- but that doesn't seem to keep the annoyance factor down.

OK, I have my answers- and thanks again!

Last edited by JoeChartreuse on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:46 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
JoeChartreuse wrote:
OK, just making sure my question was clear. Remember, I don't think the legal stuff hs any merit either- but that doesn't seem to keep the annoyance factor down.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

My 2 cents. I'll ignore the fact that I think everyone answered your question the first time, well I kinda ignored that.

Anyway,,,, I had to use Virtual DJ to run karaoke Saturday at a wedding. No rotation, no bells and whistles, just call up the song, try to remember who is singing and go. Couldn't find half my songs.
So I never ran a show with discs but the time I would spend managing my cdgs, carrying them, hanging on to written records, forget it! Besides, I'm a techie, I guarantee I would have changed over!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

ripman8 wrote:
JoeChartreuse wrote:
OK, just making sure my question was clear. Remember, I don't think the legal stuff hs any merit either- but that doesn't seem to keep the annoyance factor down.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

My 2 cents. I'll ignore the fact that I think everyone answered your question the first time, well I kinda ignored that.

Anyway,,,, I had to use Virtual DJ to run karaoke Saturday at a wedding. No rotation, no bells and whistles, just call up the song, try to remember who is singing and go. Couldn't find half my songs.
So I never ran a show with discs but the time I would spend managing my cdgs, carrying them, hanging on to written records, forget it! Besides, I'm a techie, I guarantee I would have changed over!

Trying to avoid a debate- but I should mention that I HAVE tried both, and went back to discs. However, it's just personal preferance.