KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Super CDGs Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Super CDGs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:29 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
We did not ask that those tracks be removed - the KJ did so voluntarily, a point that we took as showing an outstanding commitment to good faith operation.

We are also replacing those six Essentials for the KJ at our expense. They certainly had no way of knowing they were illicit when they purchased them.

The eBay sellers post the auction after 5 pm on Friday and set it to expire before Monday morning. Not much we can do to get them taken down, and as was commented on earlier, it doesn't prevent new auctions from going up.

The replicator did a poor job on the original run, of which there were only 5,000 made. There's virtually zero chance there is any New Old Stock (NOS) in existence, and we consider new ones being sold as bootleg product. We have never pressed those discs at our plant.

Did I miss anything?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:48 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Just did a quick check on ebay there are 6, 6 disc sets being sold right now.

What do the rest of us do?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:09 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
Chartbuster Karaoke @ Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:29 pm wrote:
We did not ask that those tracks be removed - the KJ did so voluntarily, a point that we took as showing an outstanding commitment to good faith operation.

Yes, I re-read his post and he states that the illegal copies were found which he removed from his library and destroyed. Didn't say you made him do it--my misunderstanding.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
cueball @ Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:59 pm wrote:
TroyVnd27 @ Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:05 pm wrote:
No kidding. You would think that if they had a legal right to do so, all they would have to do is make a quick call to Ebay.

It's not that easy to contact e-bay. It takes several days between correspondences. And, by the time e-bay receives the contact, the seller has already made a sale. All e-bay can do is remove an auction once they are notified of its existence. They don't prevent new auctions of the same product from appearing.

I flagged a hard drive on E-bay with 80k songs on it for karaoke. It was removed within a couple of hours, possibly less because that was the next time I checked. The flagging of an Item for trademark/copyright violation is quick it took less than a minute. Problem is a SCDG is not such an obviously pirated item and E-bay may need education on the matter. The violation complaint for the loaded hard drive could be filled out by checking only a few check boxes answering simple questions why it was being flagged.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:27 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
I do have a set of these SCDGs Chartbuster E1-6. They sure do look legitimate, not sure what they did a bad job of. One thing though when I got them I twice received a case for Vol.4 with a Vol.3 disk inside, third time I tried to get the right disk I finally did.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I think what they are referring to when they say they did a bad job is the compression. The Bps rate is like 128 which is fine for music if you are listening to it on a computer. It becomes distorted when you put a commercial amp behind it. I rip my CDGs at a minimum of 256.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:34 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
With hard drive space being so cheap these days, why wouldn't anyone want to rip at less than wav quality? I just saw a 2TB external for $100 the other day for a 'pre black Friday' sale.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree. But, the files are already compressed on the SCDG, so you can't make them better than what they already are.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:15 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Was actually commenting on the 256 statement. When I started I didn't have a big hard drive and needed to rip everything at 128. Then HD prices started to fall as the sizes grew and grew. 2 years ago (almost 3 now) I bought 2 250gb drives thinking i'd never need more and re-ripped all at the highest 192 (wma platform). Now i'm just considering re-ripping all at wav quality and never worry about the sound quality again. Even though the sound is fine now - so maybe i'll just leave it alone....lol.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:16 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Lonman @ Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:33 pm wrote:
TroyVnd27 @ Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:25 pm wrote:
Thank you. Looks like I am going to have to give CB a call. I kind of wonder if that is MY problem or theirs. I mean, if they did not get paid for their contract but went as far as sending them the music, I would think that this is between CB and the SCDG manufacturer and not me.

It would be no different than a hard drive supplier selling you a hard drive with the same Chartbuster sets. If the SCDG sets are not authorized or sold by Chartbuster, then they are illegal copies & would fall back to you and your new lawsuit to the store that sold them to you.
But again if you are planning to buy the same original disc sets off of ebay that are on your current SCDG, then the SCDG sets are no longer an issue.

I think there is a contradiction here Lonnie... It's the same as SC issuing 8125 with no license to do so... you keep the disc because you bought it "in good faith" right? Same thing here. The agreement between CB and their SCDG seller shouldn't become your problem if you purchased them in "good faith."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:47 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Chip that is exactly what Dave Grimes told me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
c. staley @ Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:16 pm wrote:
The agreement between CB and their SCDG seller shouldn't become your problem if you purchased them in "good faith."

That's essentially the stance Chartbuster takes, and when a KJ found the SCDGs he had were illicit and needlessly deleted those 2700 tracks during an audit, this is how Chartbuster responded:

Chartbuster Karaoke wrote:

We are also replacing those six Essentials for the KJ at our expense. They certainly had no way of knowing they were illicit when they purchased them.

Color me impressed, Mr. Grimes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:58 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

c. staley @ Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:16 pm wrote:
Lonman @ Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:33 pm wrote:
TroyVnd27 @ Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:25 pm wrote:
Thank you. Looks like I am going to have to give CB a call. I kind of wonder if that is MY problem or theirs. I mean, if they did not get paid for their contract but went as far as sending them the music, I would think that this is between CB and the SCDG manufacturer and not me.

It would be no different than a hard drive supplier selling you a hard drive with the same Chartbuster sets. If the SCDG sets are not authorized or sold by Chartbuster, then they are illegal copies & would fall back to you and your new lawsuit to the store that sold them to you.
But again if you are planning to buy the same original disc sets off of ebay that are on your current SCDG, then the SCDG sets are no longer an issue.

I think there is a contradiction here Lonnie... It's the same as SC issuing 8125 with no license to do so... you keep the disc because you bought it "in good faith" right? Same thing here. The agreement between CB and their SCDG seller shouldn't become your problem if you purchased them in "good faith."

I don't think it's the same deal. 8125 was produced prior to getting permission (under the assumption they would). Once they were denied permission, they did have to pull remaining stock off the shelves. Whatever was sold was what they were.
The CB SCDG's in question have not been in production for years through Chartbuster, but CB has stated that the company they were working with continued to make the product even after CB severed the contract with them, so they are basically being created and continually sold without CB permission. There was no recall due to a publisher denial. A company is creating a CB product without permission to do so & selling them - this IMO is no different than someone loading up a hard drive and selling it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
TroyVnd27 @ Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:32 pm wrote:
I know there was an issue with SCDGs and the reputable manufacturers no longer make them. Here is my problem:

I have Chartbuster Essentials 1-6 on SCDG. The early stuff by CB isn't bad, but it isn't great either (but some songs are just BAD!).

Anyway, the problem with taking songs off a SCDG is that they are compressed so much that they don't sound as good as a song that was taken from a SCDG and ripped at 256 or higher.

Does anyone think I would run into problems if I copied someone's CDG version of CBES 1-6? Since I already have the license, I would think that this wouldn't be a problem. I mean, would anyone really even know?

TroyVnd27 @ Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:39 pm wrote:
I am not asking to copy anyone's CDGs - let me make that clear. I was actually thinking about picking up the CBES on Ebay, copying and replacing the same files and selling it back on Ebay.

Wouldn't that be akin to buying the CDGs, ripping them to HDD and then selling the CDGs so you essentially get a free copy (clearly a breach of copyright)? Buying a bootleg copy of the CDG set would not constitute a 1:1 ratio. Likewise, having the SCDG for the 1:1 when "I know there was an issue with SCDGs" doesn't gel.

Let's face it, you bought an inferior quality product at a cheap price and now you want to use that to get the original quality for free. Not ethical in my book... and you know it too... "I mean, would anyone really even know?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:12 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Looking at these Super CDGs you would never think they were illegal, the labeling and packaging is professional grade. The price is very low on them though, so that could be an indicator. I also believe that Super CDG isn't all that popular a format. The disk loading is pretty slow.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:20 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Mine loads fine but I converted them to MP3+G. They are being pressed by the same company that was pressing them legally so there's no way of knowing whether they are legit or not. Perhaps why they told me told me that they wouldn't hold it against me as I bought them in good faith.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:50 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
Chartbuster Karaoke has developed a system that will help any KJ who believes they have purchased a Super CD+G (or any other) bootleg secure a legitimate copy of our intellectual property.

Since the terms vary based on the individual circumstances, we encourage anyone who thinks they may have a bootleg copy of our intellectual property to contact us to reach a resolution. Please be prepared to divulge the circumstances under which you purchased the alleged bootleg, along with any supporting documentation you may have.

Your contact point is Debi Stovall, President of Chartbuster Karaoke: debi@bigmama.tv or by phone at (865) 577-6000, ext 522.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:53 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I still don't see how there's any way to tell. I bought mine from an ebay seller, in 2008 I think (can't get the date, ebay only goes back 2 months). What supporting documents would anyone have?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:05 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

karaokegod73 @ Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:53 pm wrote:
I still don't see how there's any way to tell. I bought mine from an ebay seller, in 2008 I think (can't get the date, ebay only goes back 2 months). What supporting documents would anyone have?

If you left them feedback you can go back to the beginning of time.
If you paid by paypal you can do the same.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:49 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I got mine in August from TSCKaraoke. Was able to get the info via paypal.