KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - New Piracy Forum? Yes!!! Thank you Phill! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:11 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
moot2 @ 27th September 2010, 11:46 am wrote:
No I don't think you are the only one that is bothered by it. I am a newbe and therefore I know I don't really count but my two cents should count somehow. I truly thought about writing this forum off. the problem is I don't see a lot of choices as far as forums are concerned that deal with karaoke. I came back to try and see if there were any good words to my question. we so far not but there is still hope. I will be keeping an eye out here but I doubt I'll post much as I really don't want to be accused of anything. thanks for your time.

your view counts

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
Maybe there could be just one thread for piracy topics and those who like to talk like pirates--maybe a sticky.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:33 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Thank you for that but I have been in a lot of forums for a very long time, I realize the weight a newbie has is nill if any. I wish it were not so but it has been that way a long time. I had my own forum for computer questions that I just recently closed because of the hassles of dealing with the harrasement of my patrons. I opened it to try and help people become informed about thier com puter and how to better utilize them. I will probably reopen another one but I will try and get some moderators that care. not ones on power trips. I don't envy the task here.
Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:31 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
seattledrizzle @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:30 pm wrote:
Maybe there could be just one thread for piracy topics and those who like to talk like pirates--maybe a sticky.

It's no harder to create a forum than a sticky thread.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:20 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Mod can pin a thread, but can't create a new Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:27 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Jian @ Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:20 am wrote:
Mod can pin a thread, but can't create a new Forum.

It takes an admin to create a new forum, true, but it is a 15-second job.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:51 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
I wonder if it is a perception problem depending on what area you are in and how involved in the business you are and even how long you have been in the business.

If SC has filed suit in your area or you have heard rumors they are investigating your area, then people are naturally very interested to know what is going on and want somewhere to read about it, compare info, etc.

If you don't have a problem with illegal competition in your area, you may find all of the talk tiresome. If you are in karaoke as a hobby or for supplemental income then it may not be as pressing an issue as it is for those who depend on it for their sole support. I'm not saying one pays any less attention to the quality of their show or cares less about keeping their show--just saying they aren't going to lose their house due to illegal competition so the interest isn't going to be as intense.

People who have been in the business a long time have a firm belief in "just do a better show" and their established reputation may protect them for quite some time. People just trying to break in may find that the perception of what karaoke can do for a venue has been extremely devalued and have trouble getting a toe in.

In any case, what is going on now is newworthy in the business. I agree all of the speculation and stating opinion as fact gets tiresome. I don't like accusations and name calling. But it also seems that every time the discussion gets buried, forum traffic also drops and it gets boring for a while.

Just as an experiment I started a non-pirate topic thread and it has received not one bit of interest. True, it was about a limited segment of the market but I just wanted to see if people really did want to discuss shows, etc. as some say. It is the pirate topcs that have most of the action on them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
In response to your post Leopard about these being the most talked about threads. You're absolutely correct, BUT, is that what we want this forum to become? The Jerry Springer Show of karaoke forums. "Jerry, Jerry, Jerry". Where you know what the subject matter is going to be BEFORE you even sign in. Or MAYBE even MORE predictable, the Maury Povich of karaoke forums, "YOU ARE NOT THE FATHER". LMAO

Rosario

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:31 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

leopard lizard @ Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:51 am wrote:
Just as an experiment I started a non-pirate topic thread and it has received not one bit of interest. True, it was about a limited segment of the market but I just wanted to see if people really did want to discuss shows, etc. as some say.

Are you discounting the people leaving the forum or reducing their participation because they don't want to deal with the noise?

Quote:
It is the pirate topcs that have most of the action on them.

That's absolutely fine with me. Put them in a forum of their own, and they can go to town. I will choose to be bored by not monitoring that forum.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:05 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I am not discounting anyone leaving the forum but it cuts both ways.

I have left the forum for periods of time myself because I am not an old Jolter and often feel that anyone who has any new types or concerns is not welcome and is made to feel like they are ruining it for the good ole gang. I just don't know how to make something so that someone isn't accidently bothered by reading something they didn't want to read or feels their valuable time has been wasted by a post they don't like. I'm just not as much into the control freak thing--I just take what is useful to me and skip the rest.

I am also going to edit to say that perhaps many oldtimers also give less attention to a forum as they have already seen the same things discussed over and over through the years. Not welcoming new blood can also cause a forum to die.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:25 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

leopard lizard @ Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:05 pm wrote:
I am not discounting anyone leaving the forum but it cuts both ways.

I have left the forum for periods of time myself because I am not an old Jolter and often feel that anyone who has any new types or concerns is not welcome and is made to feel like they are ruining it for the good ole gang. I just don't know how to make something so that someone isn't accidently bothered by reading something they didn't want to read or feels their valuable time has been wasted by a post they don't like. I'm just not as much into the control freak thing--I just take what is useful to me and skip the rest.

No problem when something doesn't dominate things. But when it is typical that 80% of the topics are all related to the same subject, one that is in some ways only peripherally related to karaoke itself, it warrants its own forum.

Or piracy topic people could just be polite and put it in the Lounge or in the KJ area. It doesn't really relate to singers, except perhaps as it relates to playing customer disks.

Again, it's about signal-to-noise ratio. When it was one or two topics out of 10, it was fine. When it's consistently six out of eight, it's wrong. And to claim it is keeping the forum alive, I say -- what for? So we can have lots and lots of posts of often wildly uninformed and unrealistic opinion?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:30 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
"JERRY, JERRY, JERRY, JERRY". LMAO :oh yeah:

Rosario

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:18 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Again, I think it could be regional perspective--for me, this is a topic that is happening in our area now. It is a major shake-up of the industry. It is very relevant to me. As for singers, some do find it interesting and I see nothing wrong with singers being educated on the issue as maybe a few would actually care enough to quit patronizing pirate shows. We are all in this together.

Again--don't want to keep arguing back and forth so I will leave it as I have put in my two or twenty cents. I am wholeheartedly in agreement with you about the tone of the discussion--I think the problem is more the tone of the discussion rather than the topic. I think enforcing that there be no name calling or false accusations and please to keep it civil would go a long way but realize that takes time the moderators don't necessarily have. And I agree that having even non p-word topics turned into p-word topics would be extremely annoying to some. But to discount the topic to me is like putting one's head in the sand or trying to stop time or something. I have learned alot about the industry and the licensing and how things work when the topic has been allowed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:44 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

leopard lizard @ Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:18 pm wrote:
Again, I think it could be regional perspective--for me, this is a topic that is happening in our area now. It is a major shake-up of the industry. It is very relevant to me.

Then subscribe to the piracy forum, and away you go! I am not suggesting the topic be banned. I am suggesting that like Tech questions, it gets its own area. More power to the people who want to discuss it. Less power to the people who want to discuss it *everywhere*.

Quote:
As for singers, some do find it interesting and I see nothing wrong with singers being educated on the issue as maybe a few would actually care enough to quit patronizing pirate shows. We are all in this together.

I am betting a lot of people found it interesting when it was occasional.

Quote:
Again--don't want to keep arguing back and forth so I will leave it as I have put in my two or twenty cents. I am wholeheartedly in agreement with you about the tone of the discussion--I think the problem is more the tone of the discussion rather than the topic. I think enforcing that there be no name calling or false accusations and please to keep it civil would go a long way but realize that takes time the moderators don't necessarily have. And I agree that having even non p-word topics turned into p-word topics would be extremely annoying to some. But to discount the topic to me is like putting one's head in the sand or trying to stop time or something. I have learned alot about the industry and the licensing and how things work when the topic has been allowed.

Can you explain your resistance to giving the topic its own forum? What would be wrong with that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:29 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Am I back in the argument? I guess it is just how I browse forums. Having categories is just one more step for me. I just cruise down the list of what threads have new posts and click on the ones I want and don't click on the ones I don't want. For me that is easier than having to make the extra clicks for different categories. I don't mean to ignore the Lounge but I often do just because it is extra steps to get there.

It may just be due to our situation. We have no phone lines out here and satellite internet is our only option. It is much slower than what most people have. Every extra click is extra time waiting for the little circle to quit going around. So categories slow me down but I'm probably the exception. And I actually don't care if it is in a category as long as it isn't private like when the topic was banished to the KJ site. If it makes it easier for you to skip, I don't care if they do it as long as it is still easily accessible and still publically displayed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:14 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I don't think entertainment legal advice forum topic will ever come to light since the minority (if any) here actually are attorneys that specialize in entertainment law, but most are under their own beliefs and will push their own beliefs regardless of law. Most will interpret the law into the way it will work for them anyway. Especially when it comes to copying discs to computer, downloads and the likes. But I will present it to the admins and see what they think.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:30 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Mickey.
Don't worry.
Not going the way of JOLT.
Sit down. Relax.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:19 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

leopard lizard @ Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:29 pm wrote:
Am I back in the argument? I guess it is just how I browse forums. Having categories is just one more step for me. I just cruise down the list of what threads have new posts and click on the ones I want and don't click on the ones I don't want. For me that is easier than having to make the extra clicks for different categories. I don't mean to ignore the Lounge but I often do just because it is extra steps to get there.

Then maybe you need to bookmark this URL:

http://www.karaoke-forum.com/search.php ... d=newposts

That will show you all new topics, on one page, in all forums. And if you use GreaseMonkey like I do, it is easy to scrub posts in the Lounge, which I do. As I would scrub all posts in an Entertainment Law forum. That way I wouldn't click into a topic and go "oh phooey, another legalistic topic".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:47 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
leopard lizard @ Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:29 pm wrote:
I guess it is just how I browse forums. Having categories is just one more step for me. I just cruise down the list of what threads have new posts and click on the ones I want and don't click on the ones I don't want. For me that is easier than having to make the extra clicks for different categories. I don't mean to ignore the Lounge but I often do just because it is extra steps to get there.

That's pretty much how I browse too. I often forget the check even the KJ forum, yet when I do, there's usually nothing new there anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:49 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
Lonman @ Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:14 pm wrote:
I don't think entertainment legal advice forum topic will ever come to light since the minority (if any) here actually are attorneys that specialize in entertainment law, but most are under their own beliefs and will push their own beliefs regardless of law. Most will interpret the law into the way it will work for them anyway. Especially when it comes to copying discs to computer, downloads and the likes. But I will present it to the admins and see what they think.

How about calling it a piracy forum topic, or something other than "entertainment legal advice".
That way, anyone foolish enough to think that it was really legal advice being "doled out" doesn't actually take it.