KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Playing Customer Discs Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:57 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
I am not a KIAA member/supporter at this time. Just 'splainin' why just being a member is no gaurantee of anything.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:27 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
BigJer @ Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:15 pm wrote:

"As a member of the KIAA I am bound to comply with the following...

"To agree to a "no home burns" policy for singers. This means that if you do not have the original manufacturers disc, I will not play it at my shows"

So, if I do have the original manufacturer's disc, and I bring that along with me, as well as a "home-burn" copy of that disc, would you play the copy?

What if I brought a "home-burn" disc of just music (no lyrics) and a copy of written permission from the manufacturer to make a copy of the originals?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:40 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
I WAS THINKING ABOUT SOUND CHOICE'S DECISION TO FILE LAW SUITS AGAINST PEOPLE JUST FOR DISPLAYING THEIR LOGO and came up with a possible defense for this situation. Sound Choice has ONE logo. It is the same logo on every disc. If someone owns JUST ONE Sound Choice disc; don't they have the right to display the logo whenever they want to? The SC logo doesn't belong to each individual track that they sell. Does a KJ have to buy the logo 10,000 times to be able to show it? Things that make you go Hmmmmm.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:46 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
DannyG2006 @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:10 pm wrote:
I know of two KJ's who got sued and went through the audit and came out clean. KJathena was one and the KIAA member was the other. Neither had to sell their eldest child to pay SC because there was no suit after passing the audit as it was dropped.

I wonder if that means they could counter-sue SC for the expenses incurred in being audited?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:24 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
BruceFan4Life @ Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:40 pm wrote:
TO FILE LAW SUITS AGAINST PEOPLE JUST FOR DISPLAYING THEIR LOGO

Lucky thing they do not do carrier bags like most high street shops.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:15 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
leopard lizard @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:34 pm wrote:
BigJer @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:24 am wrote:
Tell us more about that KIAA member getting sued. Do you have a link to a story?

The story was in a private forum by a person who also posts on here. I'm thinking if they wanted their story known, they would have posted it on here themselves. But at this point it isn't public reocrd, I don't think.

I am not sure if being a KIAA member guarantees you protection from anything unless you are actually on record as having passed the audit that is required as part of membership. And with no staff, haven't heard of anyone getting audited by them yet. There is no "covenant not to sue" without an audit, in other words.

Neither a Kardboard KIAA membership nor the NON-BINDING "covenant" protect anyone from anything, nor does passing any vendor audit make anyone LEGAL.. As previously stated, the KIAA can't even produce a street address ( other than a PO mail drop), a person responsible for anything, or any credibility whatsoever- even to their members. So they don't count. The Covenant Not To Sue is not legally binding at all.

So the answer is, there is no protection from vendor harrassment. However, running a disc based show might minimize it.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:02 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
I think they are catching on that disc doesn't necessarily mean pure. Our friends and we are both disc yet both have been approached at one time or another by other disc hosts who want to "borrow" songs to copy. We also once had someone venture in with his own custom that he said a disc host had burned for him. I had to order the songs so we wouldn't have to play it.

It is certainly easier to "show your discs" if you are bringing them to your shows. And people can see our labels aren't burns as we are just a few feet from the singer. But we have still been confused as being a computer show because my boyfriend uses his laptop for the master song list and to run the DMX lights. We have also had people try to tell us about new sites that make it easy to burn discs off the internet. Gee, thanks. I'm not sure just being disc is "Safe."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:38 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
SwingcatKurt @ Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:41 am wrote:
That was in response to Karen's question of who penned the phrase "Paranoia will destroy ya" only.

La La La La LLOOOOLA!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:10 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
leopard lizard @ Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:02 pm wrote:
I think they are catching on that disc doesn't necessarily mean pure. Our friends and we are both disc yet both have been approached at one time or another by other disc hosts who want to "borrow" songs to copy. We also once had someone venture in with his own custom that he said a disc host had burned for him. I had to order the songs so we wouldn't have to play it. "

I always laugh at these hosts that want to 'swap' libraries with me. Why the hell would I want my competition to have the stuff that I have that they cannot get? NOT going to happen. For fun I asked one guy what he had, his reply, the complete NuTech, SGB, Backstage, etc. - YEAH!!!!!! Fair trade for my Sound Choice, Chartbuster, PHM, etc.......NOT!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
I don't play customer discs...because I can't. I removed the CD from my show laptop and replaced it with a second hard drive for more internal space. I had three...maybe four requests in 2010 to play a customer disc and NONE were p!ssed when I said I couldn't. They just chose one of my versions. It's a non-issue to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:54 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
We will play any customers original disc at our shows.....no burns,downloads.flashdrives or other media. Each of our systems contain a CDG player just for this purpose. We educate our singer as to the reason behind our decision on the front page of our songbook....we have had very little problems with this procedure

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:26 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 10 times
I put this on the front page of my books.

I cannot play customer discs. Due to rampant piracy, karaoke manufacturers have begun filing lawsuits against KJs and venues. Investigators visit a karaoke show and log the songs played through the night(s). The manufacturer subsequently contacts the KJ and demands the KJ submit to a library audit. During said audit, if the KJ cannot produce an original disc for each song played during the night(s) in question, lawsuits are filed and settlement negotiations begin. So unless you are willing to donate your original disc to my library so I have it when the Karaoke Copyright Cops come knockin’, please sing what is in our library. Google “karaoke lawsuits Florida” if you would like more information.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:00 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Most of the people that bring discs in use original manu discs. Very few bring in burns anymore & those that do I let them know that I will not be able to play them anymore but will try to get their version (if possible) so they do not have to bring in their burns. Or will let them know where to get a legal disc to replace what they have. I will not stop playing customer originals.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:20 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
To date......not one lawsuit against a kj for playing a customer's disk, original or burned. If a law, state, federal or whatever, stated a kj was responsible for any customer's cdg he played, and by doing would take the heat for any copyrite infringements committed by that customer......I'd cease the practice.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:59 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
We always announce that the singer is singing off their own disc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:03 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
timberlea @ Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:59 pm wrote:
We always announce that the singer is singing off their own disc.

CYA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:59 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 10 times
I'm not sure an announcement would "CYA" during the audit when they ask for the disc.

In my twisted, paranoid mind it plays out like this:

... "Mr. KJ, we have here a picture of the stage taken by one of our investigators during the night in question clearly showing the (CB or SC) logo and song title 'X' on the television screen. Kindly produce said disc for us."

"Umm, I don't have it. I announced that I was playing a customer disc right before I played that song."

"Sure you did. Now sign here & hand over $7,000 or we're gonna sue your a$$."

I'm not sure if SC/CB would buy it or not. I'd just rather not find out. I have a pretty good library, so "disc-bringers" usually find something they like. If I only have a version a singer is unfamiliar with, I allow them to preview songs on the headphones to make sure they are comfortable before they go on stage.

I work in FL on Siesta Key (Sarasota Area) and have many seasonal and vacationing customers. I'd have a hell of a time tracking someone down to produce a disc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
With a library of over 26,000 songs (completely disc based), we're not too concerned. Also, if necessary, one could bring in witnesses or the singer, if you know them. Also an investigator who is caught in a lie could lose their licence and reputation.