KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - why does everyone care about SC investigators? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:39 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Workmen @ Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:47 pm wrote:
Moonrider @ Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:56 am wrote:
One of those left on the docket in Virginia is refusing to settle and refusing an audit for that very reason.

You go to that trial did you? They don't publish results until judgement is made so how would you know? Or are you the plaintiff?

Edit in bold: Sound Choice is the plaintiff. I know the defendant. He WANTS the case to go to court.

An SC audit is not court ordered.

You need to brush up on your reading comprehension, dude. Present tense refers to things that are happening now, like the current VA lawsuits. That's why I worded it "IS refusing."

Bless yo' l'il heart.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:14 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Moon Rider,

Which one want's it to go to court?

Is he in Richmond VB or NV?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Old article . . .

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/ ... -ar-21042/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
Virgin Karaoke @ Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:34 pm wrote:
Dr Fred @ Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:58 pm wrote:
Dr Fred,

I was refering to the fact that everything revolved around Personal HOME USE and if you read the opinion on the case by the Justices you would have noted the concern about commercial use or public display!

If you have been following the disucssion, I am claiming that this is similar to a case where format shifting has been found LEGAL for purposes of ease of use. Yes it excpets "commercial use" but commercial use of karaoke is licensed by ASCAP/BMI not by the MANUS. As for a case of commercial use involving only format shifting it is not decided yet. Arguably the commercial use of karaoke is only of interest to the copyright holders (original artists, NOT the karaoke publishers). The public performance license is provided by ASCAP/BMI.

The question is, is format shifting by a KJ more similar to a case involving NON-commercial use calling it legal, or is it more similar to a non-existant case calling it illegal? The only thing we can use in our arguement is the cases that have been decided.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:15 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Moonrider @ Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:39 am wrote:
Workmen @ Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:47 pm wrote:
Moonrider @ Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:56 am wrote:
One of those left on the docket in Virginia is refusing to settle and refusing an audit for that very reason.

You go to that trial did you? They don't publish results until judgement is made so how would you know? Or are you the plaintiff?

Edit in bold: Sound Choice is the plaintiff. I know the defendant. He WANTS the case to go to court.

An SC audit is not court ordered.

You need to brush up on your reading comprehension, dude. Present tense refers to things that are happening now, like the current VA lawsuits. That's why I worded it "IS refusing."

Bless yo' l'il heart.

Comprehension is fine, it's the bs I'm reading that is the problem! Defendant has no choice. If SC files a motion for discovery with the court and the judge agrees there is reason, the judge will order the equipment seized and the audit done.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:04 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
Workmen @ Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:15 pm wrote:
If SC files a motion for discovery with the court and the judge agrees there is reason, the judge will order the equipment seized and the audit done.

I suspect SC would be hard pressed to convince a judge that there's reason just on the basis of seeing a song played on a screen, particularly when the defendant claims they can produce the song on disc.
SC will have to submit a list of songs played to the court and when they KJ produces said discs, it will be game over. No judge is going to allow such a fishing expedition.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well I don't have the legal knowledge that you guys do but from what I have been reading on the subject the principals in the case, that would be the defendant and the plaintiff, ask each other for things like discovery, and interaggatories, it has nothing to do with the judge unless one or the other fails to produce. Then which ever asked for the discovery that was denied then makes a motion to compel, once the motion is heard that is when the one who failed to comply can defend his actions of not submitting to the rules of the court. If he can show that what the opposing party asked for in discovery has no bearing on the outcome of the case and the judge agrees then that portion of the discovery is blocked.

But from the little reading I have done it would appear that anything pertaining to the business, income, places where business was conducted, any items, articles, machines, software, tools, and records, would all be discoverable items. But again that is just looking at the rules of the court, you guys with the legal expertise probably know a lot more than I do on the subject.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:03 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
What fishing expedition. The Plainiff will state either the trademark or the music itself was played from a computer or laptop or whatever and that there were no dics and said music was not a legal digital download. The Defendant will say they have the disc. A judge would not base the decision on the Defendant's word but would have the Defendant prove it by producing the discs. If the Defendant can prove it, then case closed (provided a judge accepts 1:1).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:30 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
timberlea @ Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:03 am wrote:
What fishing expedition. The Plainiff will state either the trademark or the music itself was played from a computer or laptop or whatever and that there were no dics and said music was not a legal digital download. The Defendant will say they have the disc. A judge would not base the decision on the Defendant's word but would have the Defendant prove it by producing the discs. If the Defendant can prove it, then case closed (provided a judge accepts 1:1).

This is where the question of whether SC allowed the format shift or not. I highly doubt that if the defendant allows it to go all the way to court that SC is going to say "yes we allowed it". Instead they are going to say to the judge to have the defendant produce in writing the permissions given to format shift, knowing they can't produce such a paper. Case closed. Win for SC.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:53 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
Sound Choice has conducted many audits already and thay have "allowed" these conversions of format to be used by people that have proved to be running a 1:1 ratio. If defendant proves to be 1:1, why would a judge not allow that person the same privilege as the other KJ's were given??? I don't think Sound Choice has the right to allow KJ Joe to format shift and deny that same right to KJ Mary.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. SC has the right to allow anyone they decide to and they also have the right to deny those same rights. I would deny the right to format shift to anyone who was stubborn enough to take it to court when all they had to do is ask for an audit to begin with.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:43 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

DannyG2006 @ Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:29 pm wrote:
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. SC has the right to allow anyone they decide to and they also have the right to deny those same rights. I would deny the right to format shift to anyone who was stubborn enough to take it to court when all they had to do is ask for an audit to begin with.

Sound Choice gives fair use rights to the purchaser when they sell the product. Whether or not format shifting is fair use is the question. I'm guessing that it is but the judges opinion is the only one that counts.

This website has a pretty good summary of the arguments:

http://ipjustice.org/karaokefairuse.shtml

The audio visual work argument is interesting and I wonder if that could tip the balance against the format shifter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:47 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

BruceFan4Life @ Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:53 am wrote:
Sound Choice has conducted many audits already and thay have "allowed" these conversions of format to be used by people that have proved to be running a 1:1 ratio. If defendant proves to be 1:1, why would a judge not allow that person the same privilege as the other KJ's were given??? I don't think Sound Choice has the right to allow KJ Joe to format shift and deny that same right to KJ Mary.
You are correct

You are correct if KJ Mary had gone through an audit and had the permission in writting the Judge wouyld throw the case out, of course if she had permission then she wouldn't be in court to begin with!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:49 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

TominNJ @ Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:43 pm wrote:

Sound Choice gives fair use rights to the purchaser when they sell the product. Whether or not format shifting is fair use is the question. I'm guessing that it is but the judges opinion is the only one that counts.

The audio visual work argument is interesting and I wonder if that could tip the balance against the format shifter.

You are also correct if someone is using format shifted karaoke inside the parameters of fair use then it wouldn't be a problem. The really sticky part the way I see it is what do you call fair use.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:54 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

IPjusustice is not the courts. They do not have anything but opinion to back them up in a commercial environment. The Commercial aspect is where SC will win their case.
YOU NEED WRITTEN PERMISSION TO PLAY A FORMAT SHIFTED HARD DRIVE IN A COMMERCIAL ENVIRONMENT PERIOD.
The only way to get that permission is to subject yourself to an audit. Once you pass that audit then you will have the paperwork stating you have permission to foramt shift their product.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:24 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

DannyG2006 @ Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:54 pm wrote:

IPjusustice is not the courts. They do not have anything but opinion to back them up in a commercial environment. The Commercial aspect is where SC will win their case.
YOU NEED WRITTEN PERMISSION TO PLAY A FORMAT SHIFTED HARD DRIVE IN A COMMERCIAL ENVIRONMENT PERIOD.
The only way to get that permission is to subject yourself to an audit. Once you pass that audit then you will have the paperwork stating you have permission to foramt shift their product.

It's your opinion that you need written permission to play a format shifted hard drive in a commercial environment. I don't think that's true if the establishment has paid their commercial use fee for music. I believe that format shifting will be deemed as fair use but you believe differently. Our opinions don't really count. It will be the judge who ultimately decides if it ever goes to trial.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:14 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
TominNJ @ January 2nd 2011, 4:24 pm wrote:
DannyG2006 @ Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:54 pm wrote:

It's your opinion that you need written permission to play a format shifted hard drive in a commercial environment. I don't think that's true if the establishment has paid their commercial use fee for music. I believe that format shifting will be deemed as fair use but you believe differently. Our opinions don't really count. It will be the judge who ultimately decides if it ever goes to trial.

And that is why Sound Choice doesn't want to have this "issue" to wind up in a court room. It will look like David and Goliath all over again. Big MILLION DOLLAR CORPORATION picking on some guy trying to make a little extra money on the side to feed his kids.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes that is the way they look at it with shop lifters too!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:35 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
That "some guy" is like the rest of the "some guys" who worked hard to become Big corporations. Do you think Coke or McD started with thousands of employees and millions in assests? No they generally start with one or two people who work their derriaires off and took the risks. Now whether one chooses to do that or not is up to them. But it doesn't give others the right to rip them off no matter how big or small one is. Nothing wrong with making extra money as long as it is legal.

As for not wanting it to go to court? Any of the Defendants could have taken it to court but so far none has. As for cost? This being a test case I'm surprised those who advocate don't get together and raise a legal fund and get one of those hotshot lawyers from ipjustice to defend the case.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:57 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
BruceFan4Life @ Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:53 am wrote:

Here's my (stupid) question.... Are we talking about Format Shifting the SC Logo or the entire CDG?

Didn't SC say (manny times over, and several years ago), that they paid for the permission to reproduce the music into a CDG Format, and that they DID NOT own the music, therefore they could NOT grant permission for someone else to Format Shift from CDGs to MP3Gs (or whatever other computer format there is), because it is NOT theirs to begin with?

*** EDIT/FOOTNOTE: Also, keep in mind that even if you go through the Audit process with SC and pass, SC has stated that they will not seek to go after you for Format Shifting, BUT they also said that they CAN NOT guarantee that the people who own the copyright to that music won't go after you.

Remember.... SC does not own the music, therefore, they can not give you permission to Format Shift (regardless of whether you pass or fail their Audit).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next