KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - PEP hints at service mark lawsuits.. Will they last? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:35 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
If you don't post then all of this will just go away, I wonder how long you will be able to go before you have to post again, it's just a matter of time.

Please read carefully. I am only not responding to Mr. Staley. He is not the only person who posts here.

The Lone Ranger wrote:
After all suits and fear of suits drives sales, right?

Unfortunately, yes, many people would rather steal than pay. Only when they fear they will be called to account for stealing do those people agree to pay.

The Lone Ranger wrote:
Without sales PEP is finished.

Without sales, [EVERY BUSINESS VENTURE IN THE HISTORY OF CAPITALISM] is finished.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:52 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
JimHarrington wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
Can't have a reasonable discussion with someone that doesn't place any value on truth.

More to this point, I have decided not to respond any further to Mr. Staley on any subject.

JimHarrington wrote:
Please read carefully. I am only not responding to Mr. Staley. He is not the only person who posts here.

Seeing (or rather not seeing) will be believing. Only time will tell.

Maybe I should start a poll to see how many days/hours/minutes/posts will pass before JH responds back to Chip again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
JimHarrington wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

Unfortunately, yes, many people would rather steal than pay. Only when they fear they will be called to account for stealing do those people agree to pay.
And I'm sure that this includes all those "technical infringers" who didn't "steal" anything from you and you actively sued them anyway.

Their only mistake was apparently purchasing the product in the first place, not stealing it.

You repeatedly pontificate about "doing the right thing" and call me a liar? Really?

But then another real-life example
of when someone - even a company - "fear they will be called to account for stealing do they agree to pay" would be the EMI settlement that Phoenix Entertainment Partners will be paying off until the year 2020...

(You kind of stepped in your own mess on that one.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:56 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
JimHarrington wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
If you don't post then all of this will just go away, I wonder how long you will be able to go before you have to post again, it's just a matter of time.

The Lone Ranger wrote:

The Lone Ranger wrote:
Without sales PEP is finished.

Without sales, [EVERY BUSINESS VENTURE IN THE HISTORY OF CAPITALISM] is finished.

8) Then I guess PEP is finished Jim since the only sales you can generate is at the point of a legal gun. If you are doing such a great job out there in the real world you would not have to post on this forum at all. In fact why post all you are doing is giving a heads up to the pirates you are supposed to be going after? No you are using this forum to advertise your product, and trying to spread fear in the hosting community. I for one would rather not use your product, and I'm not interested in stealing it since I don't use it. You can't go silently into the night like other brands, so be it. I knew it was just too good to be true about you not posting anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:25 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Then I guess PEP is finished Jim since the only sales you can generate is at the point of a legal gun.

This is simply not true. Once again, you're overreading to suit your agenda.

"Suits (true) drive sales" is different from "suits are the only thing that drives sales" (false).

The Lone Ranger wrote:
If you are doing such a great job out there in the real world you would not have to post on this forum at all. In fact why post all you are doing is giving a heads up to the pirates you are supposed to be going after?

That's a foolish view. People will always have questions and look to on-topic forums to find answers. I am here to answer questions of interest to karaoke professionals, to provide information about what we're doing, and to rebut incorrect statements about our activities and about the industry generally (especially the legal aspects).

I have no issue whatsoever with pirates reading that information, even if they use that information to avoid getting sued--because that means they are acting in compliance with our policies.

The Lone Ranger wrote:
No you are using this forum to advertise your product, and trying to spread fear in the hosting community.

You know, I've been repeatedly accused of "trying to spread fear." I think the better question is this: Why should pirates be able to operate without fear of reprisal from those from whom they steal?

If you steal from anyone, you deserve to fear the consequences.

What you're advocating for is anarchy, and you're willing to destroy karaoke entirely in the process.

The Lone Ranger wrote:
I for one would rather not use your product, and I'm not interested in stealing it since I don't use it.

Good for you.

The Lone Ranger wrote:
You can't go silently into the night like other brands, so be it. I knew it was just too good to be true about you not posting anymore.

If you can't understand what I write, you should consider a literacy class. I did not say I wasn't going to post anymore. I said I was not going to respond to one specific person anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:36 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) I read into it what I wanted to see, that you were through posting on here. The only time you come on is when you are trying to get hosts worked up. You work them up and you don't like the feed back, toooooo bad. You furnish information that is to your advantage pushing your agenda nothing that would be helpful to a karaoke professional, unless they were faced with legal problems. Those problems are mostly of your own making.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:34 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) I read into it what I wanted to see, that you were through posting on here. The only time you come on is when you are trying to get hosts worked up. You work them up and you don't like the feed back, toooooo bad. You furnish information that is to your advantage pushing your agenda nothing that would be helpful to a karaoke professional, unless they were faced with legal problems. Those problems are mostly of your own making.

Can you remember the last time you or Chip logged in to post something other than anti-SC rhetoric?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Not for nothing Chris, but both Lone Ranger and Chip have posted in several other topic threads that had absolutely nothing to do with SC, and neither one of them said a discouraging word (regarding SC) in those posts. Some of those posts were even made this week.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:56 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

cueball wrote:
Not for nothing Chris, but both Lone Ranger and Chip have posted in several other topic threads that had absolutely nothing to do with SC, and neither one of them said a discouraging word (regarding SC) in those posts. Some of those posts were even made this week.

It's actually an important distinction that I asked the question of the lone Ranger and not anyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:23 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

chrisavis wrote:
cueball wrote:

It's actually an important distinction that I asked the question of the lone Ranger and not anyone else.

8) I could answer it Chris but Cue has answered the question as well as I could and from a neutral position. I have tried to keep my posts from wandering back to SC and have kept the anti SC rhetoric as much as possible in the proper forum aka piracy. It seems you have a real problem if any host calls out Jim or PEP. That some how we are being disloyal. Loyal to what a manu? I have not sold my soul to Jim or Kurt, my loyalties are to my friends and the industry. I sincerely feel that what PEP is engaged in will hurt karaoke more than it will help it. They are selfish and self absorbed to the point of destroying the industry trying to remake it into what they want a cash cow. There new slogan should be "Anything For A Buck". That is the way I see it, and I am entitled to by opinion just like your are entitled to carry the water for them and defend Jim.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:09 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
cueball wrote:

8) I could answer it Chris but Cue has answered the question as well as I could and from a neutral position. I have tried to keep my posts from wandering back to SC and have kept the anti SC rhetoric as much as possible in the proper forum aka piracy. It seems you have a real problem if any host calls out Jim or PEP. That some how we are being disloyal. Loyal to what a manu? I have not sold my soul to Jim or Kurt, my loyalties are to my friends and the industry. I sincerely feel that what PEP is engaged in will hurt karaoke more than it will help it. They are selfish and self absorbed to the point of destroying the industry trying to remake it into what they want a cash cow. There new slogan should be "Anything For A Buck". That is the way I see it, and I am entitled to by opinion just like your are entitled to carry the water for them and defend Jim.

As has been noted many times, you really don't seem to be able to properly discern the difference between reality and whatever you dream up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:22 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

chrisavis wrote:

As has been noted many times, you really don't seem to be able to properly discern the difference between reality and whatever you dream up.

8) Not the reality you and Jim have. That is the basis for the conflict colliding views of what the reality really is. Not some manufactured crisis to suit the goals of a failed manu. What is being dreamed up are these suits that have little or no merit. Jim has his reality, you have yours I have mine. Something doesn't exist in the real world until someone has an inspiration an idea, creates something and brings into the real world. This goes for good ideas as well as bad one's. Whether they are good or bad is all a matter of value judgements and is open to the eye of the beholder.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:05 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
chrisavis wrote:

"Reality" is a matter of perspective.

In your reality, Phoenix entertainment partners has been victimized by piracy for years and are simply trying to recover some of what was stolen from it while they desperately attempt to restart their production for the market to buy. And that's a pretty easy perspective to see and understand – from where you are.

What you seem to constantly ignore
is that Kurt was paid for the entire catalog – long before he closed one business and opened another one – but he continues to sue for what he claims was stolen from him when in fact, he sold it to stingray Digital. Even by Harrington's own definition, the only thing that was "stolen" from them is a silly little trademark.You seem to be okay with him promising you for six years that he is "getting the band back together." But now, the only impediment is waiting on publishers?

You ignore the fact that Harrington used to claim that he was suing people – for piracy – and then changed his tune claiming that he was now suing people – for permission. When "the reality is" that Kurt has been repeatedly sued for infringement (piracy) by publishers.

So are you heroes "pirates?" Apparently they are in a huge way, but Harrington keeps claiming they always "do the right thing" and I have to wonder if that crosses his mind ever year when he writes another settlement installment check to EMI.

And I'm sure that some of that money originally came from you.

So when it comes to "supporting pirates" you need to take a very close look in the mirror and the canceled checks you have sent them
before you start pointing fingers – or even insinuating – that anyone else is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:20 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) That's right Kurt has been paid, the problem is he wants to keep on being paid and will be as long as Jim can convince venues, and hosts to keep paying them for what amounts to empty promises. Now who needs a reality check?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:56 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
cueball wrote:

So what!!!!! BFD that someone else (in this case, me, but it could have been anyone else as well) answered your question. If you had wanted it just to have been answered by The Lone Ranger and nobody else, then you should have sent him a PM. Otherwise, this is an OPEN FORUM, and anyone can respond.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:24 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
woah, easy Cue...
his answer was not pointed at you answering, but that he only posed it to Lone and not Chip (Chip has done a lot of good and helped a lot of people on this forum over the years and currently).
blood vessels are delicate things sometimes, they can pop...

Chris, what do you mean by "As has been noted many times, you really don't seem to be able to properly discern the difference between reality and whatever you dream up."
what part of his statement are you saying is not reality?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:12 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
woah, easy Cue...
his answer was not pointed at you answering, but that he only posed it to Lone and not Chip...

IMO, Chris's question was clearly written to incite further fighting/bickering/flaming. Again, IMO, it was not meant as genuine question of curiosity... it was more rhetorical. And like I said in my response, if he wanted to direct a one-on-one question to someone on this forum, where he did NOT want anyone else to respond, he could have addressed that person privately (via a PM).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:21 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

cueball wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
woah, easy Cue...
his answer was not pointed at you answering, but that he only posed it to Lone and not Chip...

IMO, Chris's question was clearly written to incite further fighting/bickering/flaming. Again, IMO, it was not meant as genuine question of curiosity... it was more rhetorical. And like I said in my response, if he wanted to direct a one-on-one question to someone on this forum, where he did NOT want anyone else to respond, he could have addressed that person privately (via a PM).

You are correct, Cue. It was a rhetorical question. But it wasn't for you. It was for Lone. I posted publicly because a public answer helps everyone come to their own conclusion.

It was your choice to pop in with your comment and become part of the commentary. You are contributing nothing of value other than to show who's side you are on (we knew this already). It is your commentary that is now perpetuating this useless thread.

And please note.....this thread was started by Chip with the sole purpose to "incite further fighting/bickering/flaming". That doesn't seem to bother you at all.

So......do not preach to me about stirring the pot when you are perfectly happy to let the pot be stirred so long as it is your man holding the stick.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:31 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

chrisavis wrote:

You are correct, Cue. It was a rhetorical question. But it wasn't for you. It was for Lone. I posted publicly because a public answer helps everyone come to their own conclusion.

It was your choice to pop in with your comment and become part of the commentary. You are contributing nothing of value other than to show who's side you are on (we knew this already). It is your commentary that is now perpetuating this useless thread.

And please note.....this thread was started by Chip with the sole purpose to "incite further fighting/bickering/flaming". That doesn't seem to bother you at all.

So......do not preach to me about stirring the pot when you are perfectly happy to let the pot be stirred so long as it is your man holding the stick.

8) In the course of discussion to some extent we all have kept the conversation going or it would simply stop. Whether that is stirring the pot or not is a matter of opinion. This particular pot was started by actions of outside forces namely Jim representing PEP. This cause of SC's is lost in my opinion. Like all lost causes the supporters are mad and they have to keep pretending that this is an on going serious, real situation, that will have some significant outcome. I for one I'm confused by the conflicting position of supporters like Chris. On the one hand he thinks that these suits will have no long term negative effects on the karaoke service industry. Then on the other he maintains that it is important to continue this legal approach. Chris you can't have it both ways. The data that I have seen indicates that these suits have really done little to change the current real situation in the karaoke servicing industry. There are still over 90 % of the hosts that are pirates and maybe less than 10% of the hosts that are legal. That hasn't changed since I started posting on these forums. The only thing that has changed is maybe some 1,000 or so hosts have settled with PEP and are currently paying and under contract with the company. I guess this is where Jim talks about them being karaoke service providers, having a "karaoke services operation"? So is that the direction that PEP is taking it is becoming a giant multi rigger entity? If so then they are in direct competition with other hosts, and they are using old pirates under license to them, sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:37 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

8) In the course of discussion to some extent we all have kept the conversation going or it would simply stop. Whether that is stirring the pot or not is a matter of opinion. This particular pot was started by actions of outside forces namely Jim representing PEP. This cause of SC's is lost in my opinion. Like all lost causes the supporters are mad and they have to keep pretending that this is an on going serious, real situation, that will have some significant outcome. I for one I'm confused by the conflicting position of supporters like Chris. On the one hand he thinks that these suits will have no long term negative effects on the karaoke service industry. Then on the other he maintains that it is important to continue this legal approach. Chris you can't have it both ways. The data that I have seen indicates that these suits have really done little to change the current real situation in the karaoke servicing industry. There are still over 90 % of the hosts that are pirates and maybe less than 10% of the hosts that are legal. That hasn't changed since I started posting on these forums. The only thing that has changed is maybe some 1,000 or so hosts have settled with PEP and are currently paying and under contract with the company. I guess this is where Jim talks about them being karaoke service providers, having a "karaoke services operation"? So is that the direction that PEP is taking it is becoming a giant multi rigger entity? If so then they are in direct competition with other hosts, and they are using old pirates under license to them, sweet.

I can have it both ways because reality is proving this to be exactly how things are.

PEP is well within their rights to protect their IP using the law as it is written. It will not have a long term negative impact on the industry as a whole because 7 years in, there is no evidence of that taking place.

Thus my rhetorical question about you being unable to discern the difference between reality and fantasy. What you dream for is not how reality is panning out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next