KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - SC Safe Harbor Question Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:08 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
c. staley wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
As for the topic at hand......

In my experience, SC/PEP don't interfere with hosts and KJ's after they get on board with one or more of their programs unless you give them a reason to. So in general, I thing Safe Harbor is a good program. But I have not gone out of my way to push it to my venues.
Uh, oh.... "Houston, we have a problem!"

Do you not even read what you write?

I find it interesting that when it comes to "interference" you might as well be wearing blinders. I understand that you paid a lot for them, but that's really not an excuse.

Let me spell this out for you because you obviously don't see any kind of connection by first explaining to you how your buddies use their double-standard and you're refusal to see it: (I'll cover the subject of legal fees and costs at the end in order to keep within the current thread subject matter because there is a connection)

FIRST:
Notice that if I were to contact publishers to ask about the help license, Harrington claims that I would be "interfering" with their contractual partners by "inducing them" to breach some top secret and confidential agreement that I would not be otherwise entitled to. He claims that this would be so damaging that he's reached the point of threatening "legal consequences" for this so-called "interference."

[b]SECOND: [/b]
Under the rules of the safe harbor agreement, Harrington claims (and it is in the contract) that it is a requirement for the venue to not only gather and relay confidential information on their "contracted KJ" but to go a step further and "induce" (or for all intents and purposes, "force") the KJ to provide more private and confidential information to PEP. And all this is done under the implied or stated threat of litigation of the venue for vicarious infringement.

I believe that this is far more than just "interference." But that would be up to a judge to decide whether it is a criminal or civil action and whether or not legal costs and attorney fees should be awarded to a venue or KJ that either sued or countersued.

I was addressing the OP, not you.

It really isn't all about you, Chip.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
I just literally laughed out loud.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
JimHarrington wrote:

Up until this point i never thought Jim needed his cheerleaders...especially for WEAK comebacks. SMH :bawling: "Logic is fading captain"......

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:14 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
johnreynolds wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

Up until this point i never thought Jim needed his cheerleaders...especially for WEAK comebacks. SMH :bawling: "Logic is fading captain"......

Jim does just fine on his own.

Chip could use some help though....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:20 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
And Chippie has yet to tell us how PEP is controlling Chris.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

timberlea wrote:

Yeah...anymore than our US government, pharma companies, and Monsanto doesn't control us Tim... :o

ONE step out of line and he'll likely be sued. He singed a binding contract didnt he? Not only could there be a lawsuit but he's given up all of his venue locations...and rights for pep to crawl up every orrifice to inspect his equipment. Proctology 101.

Hmm. it would also make it RIPE pickens for PEP/SC to take all of his shows away and install THEIR OWN, or simply sue the venues (not only the kj) for monetary gain to put out new product. yeah right lol. .interesting "WHAT IF" scenario chicken little....

I shall now make a prediction and say that Jim will now state that he would never sue Chris ever, but won't say that about anybody else, especially Jedi Hipster. I could be wrong but then the sky might just fall....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:53 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

johnreynolds wrote:
timberlea wrote:

Yeah...anymore than our US government, pharma companies, and Monsanto doesn't control us Tim... :o

ONE step out of line and he'll likely be sued. He singed a binding contract didnt he? Not only could there be a lawsuit but he's given up all of his venue locations...and rights for pep to crawl up every orrifice to inspect his equipment. Proctology 101.

You have a bizarre, counterfactual understanding of how we operate.

We make very few demands of any of our licensees. There are some basic quality control provisions in our agreements, and we check up from time to time (whether we announce it to the KJ or not). There are certain things that our contract specifies that they can't do--but those things are things that legitimate KJs usually have no interest in doing. Generally speaking, the kinds of things we require enhance a KJ's operations, rather than hinder them. And if someone steps over the line, it would take some sort of defiance for us to sue them. I won't say it would never happen, but it would have to be pretty bad.

johnreynolds wrote:
Hmm. it would also make it RIPE pickens for PEP/SC to take all of his shows away and install THEIR OWN, or simply sue the venues (not only the kj) for monetary gain to put out new product. yeah right lol. .interesting "WHAT IF" scenario chicken little....

We don't have any interest in taking shows away from Chris or any of our licensees. In fact, our SCE business model envisions sending shows to our licensees, rather than taking them away.

As for Mr. Staley, I have no idea where he plays--if at all--other than that I know generally where he lives. My ominous statement "for now" was intended as a joke. We have no present plans to service his market. Of course, if we decide to, we'll compete with him, and we'll have no reservations about taking shows from him. That's how capitalism works.

johnreynolds wrote:
I shall now make a prediction and say that Jim will now state that he would never sue Chris ever, but won't say that about anybody else, especially Jedi Hipster. I could be wrong but then the sky might just fall....

I almost never make absolute statements.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
I suppose one who has shows at venues could announce that they have an agreement with the venue to do the shows, and then offer to sue anyone who attempts to interfere with the agreement and claim tortious interference...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Contracts are signed all the time and *gasp* in some there are ethical and moral clauses. You are trying to make it sound as if all contracts are evil or nefarious. Once again, how are they controlling Chris' business other than paying a fee for media shifting?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:06 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

timberlea wrote:
Contracts are signed all the time and *gasp* in some there are ethical and moral clauses. You are trying to make it sound as if all contracts are evil or nefarious. Once again, how are they controlling Chris' business other than paying a fee for media shifting?

Our control comes in the form of (a) our review of his discs and his hard drive, (b) the specific rules for media-shifting, (c) the restrictions on his use of his GEM series products (which include some performance quality standards), and (d) any spot checks we might make at one of his shows (or otherwise). As Chris has stated, these elements of control are minimal and do not interfere with the running of his business.

I have yet to hear from any of our actual licensees who feel that we are heavy-handed in what we do.

I do, however, hear frequent complaints from people who aren't our licensees, who have never been our licensees, and who have no intention of ever becoming our licensees, but who for some reason think it's important to tell people how horrible we are (even though they have no actual experience in dealing with us).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:30 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

OH SUCH EVIL JIM!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:40 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
JimHarrington wrote:
Our control comes in the form of (a) our review of his discs and his hard drive, (b) the specific rules for media-shifting, (c) the restrictions on his use of his GEM series products (which include some performance quality standards), and (d) any spot checks we might make at one of his shows (or otherwise). As Chris has stated, these elements of control are minimal and do not interfere with the running of his business.

Leave something out did you?

Gem License Agreement wrote:
You will comply in all reasonable respects with such audits, making available for a physical and electronic inspection your equipment, files, external drives and accounting records relating to karaoke entertainment activities.

Do your licensees get to peek at your accounting records too?

How convenient that you'd omit that...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:00 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

Leave something out did you?

Hey, thanks for proving my last point above.

c. staley wrote:
You will comply in all reasonable respects with such audits, making available for a physical and electronic inspection your equipment, files, external drives and accounting records relating to karaoke entertainment activities.

I don't think we've ever asked for any GEM series licensee's accounting records, so I just don't even really think about it. That's in there so that if we need to investigate a charge of multi-rigging from a single set of GEM series discs, we can see if the licensee is receiving payments for multiple shows on a day.

c. staley wrote:

Why would a licensee need to look at our accounting records?

I can think of one instance, and that's if there were a dispute about whether a specific payment had been received or not, in which case we would print out our records relating to that licensee's account and share them with the licensee.

You seem to be implying that we're interested in snooping into our licensees' finances. If there is a way we can resolve a dispute without looking at that information, we'll do it.

We currently have more than 500 licensees under our various programs, many of which have more than one license. Insofar as I am aware, not a single one of them has ever been asked to produce accounting records. Since the people who are actually parties to that agreement don't seem to have a problem with it, what exactly is your issue with it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:39 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
c. staley wrote:

I don't think we've ever asked for any GEM series licensee's accounting records, so I just don't even really think about it. That's in there so that if we need to investigate a charge of multi-rigging from a single set of GEM series discs, we can see if the licensee is receiving payments for multiple shows on a day.
yeah, sure...because your licensees are so trustworthy right? I'm sure that there are a number of them that have "multiple shows" and some of those are not related to karaoke.

It's again: an underhanded way to do business because if one of your licensees was cheating, you could strip them of the product. End of story. No need to see any accounting records or otherwise peek in anyone's underwear. You wouldn't like it and you don't even like the thought of me "checking up on you" with your help-pirate license. It doesn't take a genius to know why that's got you in such a tizzy...
JimHarrington wrote:
c. staley wrote:

Why would a licensee need to look at our accounting records?
They would need that in the event you actually did --- by some miracle -- actually put out a disc or songs of new music and they would know if it was properly and fully licensed to limit their legal exposure from any of the "third party rights holders" that are mentioned in so many of your contractual agreements with them. But as long as you have a judicial number of disclaimers and indemnifications with your licensees, screw 'em. They can just "trust you" right? We see how well that's worked out over the years....
JimHarrington wrote:
I can think of one instance, and that's if there were a dispute about whether a specific payment had been received or not, in which case we would print out our records relating to that licensee's account and share them with the licensee.
ho-hum.... blah, blah, blah.... Word salad...
JimHarrington wrote:
You seem to be implying that we're interested in snooping into our licensees' finances. If there is a way we can resolve a dispute without looking at that information, we'll do it.
You are absolutely interested in snooping in my opinion, if there's a way you can make more money by "snooping into licensees' finances" you will. So you're just leaving that option open.

JimHarrington wrote:
We currently have more than 500 licensees under our various programs, many of which have more than one license.
How many of them were licensed by you before you were sued for copyright infringement for the very music they were paying you for?... Like ALL the gem people? I'll bet they felt hoodwinked to find that the "lease" they were paying for was eventually settled by your check for infringement and your attempt at an "end around" proper licensing.

JimHarrington wrote:
Insofar as I am aware, not a single one of them has ever been asked to produce accounting records.

For now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:20 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 307 times
timberlea wrote:

In the GEM Series license agreement,
Section 5. RESTRICTIONS ON MARK LICENSE
PEP requires that you not disparage the marks in any public place and that you will not undertake any action that brings PEP (us) into disrepute.

Having agreed to this section in order to obtain the GEM set, Chris is being contractually controlled to only say nice things about PEP.

If he were to ever say anything unflattering about Sound Choice, PEP or any of the PEP officers, he would technically be in breach of contract and according to Section 7 part b, PEP could terminate his contract at any time thereafter with only 14 days notice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:31 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

That is not what that means.

Chris is free to criticize us if he chooses, as are all of our licensees. We hope they would come to us first, but we will not take away their licenses for criticism. And in fact Chris has criticized us on occasion.

That clause merely requires our licensees to be good stewards of their own reputations, because their conduct reflects on us.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:38 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

What a strange way of saying it.
Do you often mean something different than the words you write?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:51 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Suppose for some unforeseen reason, sometime in the future PEP saw fit to sell all of it's assets and interests to a lawyer.
Would it be possible for her to use this wording as a loophole or technicality to force certain licensees from their current agreements and then force them to renegotiate and repurchase the license at full price during the time of renewal or any other time?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:26 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
That is not what that means.
Where the hell are my waders? You can't be Mr. Gepetto and Pinocchio at the same time.
JimHarrington wrote:
Chris is free to criticize us if he chooses, as are all of our licensees. We hope they would come to us first, but we will not take away their licenses for criticism. And in fact Chris has criticized us on occasion.
(a) According to your legally-binding contract, he is not free to criticize you. "Words mean things" remember?
(b) You can choose to overlook it if you like (and you obviously have) .

I wonder how many milliseconds you would take to enforce that if I was one of your sheeple... uh, "licensees?"

JimHarrington wrote:
That clause merely requires our licensees to be good stewards of their own reputations, because their conduct reflects on us.
That is not what it says or means and you know it.

Here in the United States, no one can take away any of your Constitutional rights. But they are your rights, and you are free to sign them away if you like. So if "licensees" don't mind signing away their First Amendment rights in exchange for literally nothing than a music rental, then who am I to point that out?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So it sounds as if Chris and 499 others "signed away" their U.S. Constitutional Rights to Free Speech to PEP/SC, that is, unless it's positive butt-smooching. Is this correct? LEGAL even??

It might explain Chris' need ( other than control and attention) to continually bash Chip's facts, opinions, and frankly, better fact-gathering, quick wit, and overall intelligence.

It's almost like a PEP ARMY of sales people that are contractually obligated to speak positively about PEP/SC, say nothing at all, or run the risk of losing their livelihood IF they say something negative.

Tim, did you sign away any Canadian Rights?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next