KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Sound Choice files 2 new suits Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Wow! What a bunch of insane KJ's! :roll:

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

cueball wrote:
c. staley wrote:
Sevarin wrote:
The whole "SC Pirate Hunt" is NOT(!) making pirates disappear. All they do is offer those pirates a settlement and continue with their business as usual. On top those settlements are a joke compared to what honest KJ's payed altogether for those songs on disks. That was already discussed here several times.

Somebody mail this man a ceegar!

SC said long ago that their interest is simply to "turn pirates into customers" and what a hell of a financed discount they offer as well.

And I know this has been said before (by others), but I'll chime in on this point too......

I know of several KJs that recently received letters from SC and that other firm (name escapes me right now, but you all know what I'm talking about) regarding an agreement to have an Audit or purchase their GEM series. These same KJs now have Certificates of Authenticity (BIG WHOOPED-DI-DOO), and all they did was purchase the GEM series from SC. They have NOT cleared their Hard Drives of the songs they had before the threat, and noone has bothered to follow up and enforce that (which is what I believe SC should be doing).

Que,

Sound choice and Charbuster will be doing follow ups on those who were audited and or settled in fact they have already done so a couple of times, a lot of it is a matter of time and location. Those that are still running illegal after a settlement will get hit a lot harder the second time around. It is a matter of patience.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:20 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
SC @ CB are doing follow ups in our area....If people think they can pull the I have a certificate now I'm safe(and still not delete songs they do not own discs for) Then they did not read the Gem agreement or they are wanting to get "slapped" even harder when they are caught....SC/CB are having an effect in our area.....5 pirates in my little part of the world in March alone....and only one was ever notified by any Manu.

My advise...If your legit ask for voluntary audits before being notified....if your not legit either do what is needed to get legit or get out of the biz.

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:09 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Since none of the "SC is the god of karaoke" people didn't answer my post, I thought I'd try again:

I've been wondering about this. What do the " SC is the one and only" folks do for new music? What previously referred to as "crappy" brands are they buying for new pop????

WELL?

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:54 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Hi Joe,
Cant speak for anyone else but personally we were buying some zooms (before they were stopped from coming in) CB and Stellar...and SC put out a high quality good product before piracy "put huge wholes in their boat....but they were never "Gods" in my eye.
sorry no answer soon had a lot going on :mrgreen:

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:18 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
I don't know who exactly you are referring to... I don't recall anyone saying that SC is "the one and only".

Their product is (as you've acknowledged) among the best produced by any manufacturer.

That being said, even when they were producing regular updates, PHM continually beat them to the "shelves".

So now, monthly updates come from PHM, CB, SF, and Mr. E. (Mr. E actually does some of the best lyric sync and true to original music for new pop & urban)

I hope that answers your question Joe.

Now, let me ask you one. If SC were to produce an update disc right now, what songs would you want to see them do and would you buy that disc?

Athena, you can still get Zooms, you merely have to purchase them from overseas. The change prohibits US distributors from importing for resale in the US. I am not certain, but I believe it only applies to materials produced in GB.

There is no ban on foreign karaoke for use in the US.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:43 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I get new music from either PHM or CB, right now it's CB. Although i've never stated that SC was the only brand I bought, but if given the choice SC would be my #1 first round pick on a blind buy - so now that they are not the option I have to go to my #2 and/or #3 round picks for new music.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lonman wrote:
I get new music from either PHM or CB, right now it's CB. Although i've never stated that SC was the only brand I bought, but if given the choice SC would be my #1 first round pick on a blind buy - so now that they are not the option I have to go to my #2 and/or #3 round picks for new music.

While I never had a huge collection of CB (until recently) I did have more than a few as I picked carefully from them for specific country artist. I had always used Pioneer and Sound Choice as my core but found that there were several "Country songs" in the Sound Choice collection that the lyrics ran way behind on. Since purchasing the Chartbuster 450 series I have found a lot of songs of different genres that I like the CB versions of better than the SC versions, but the vast majority of SCs can't be beat by anyone. I have also always had the Country, Pop and Urban from POP Hits Monthly and still do. I have always liked the majority of the PHM songs for updates!

However I am getting ready to order the 2010 POP and Country from Chartbuster!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Wall Of Sound wrote:
Wow! What a bunch of insane KJ's! :roll:

Shameless Plug? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:50 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

kjathena wrote:
Hi Joe,
Cant speak for anyone else but personally we were buying some zooms (before they were stopped from coming in) CB and Stellar...and SC put out a high quality good product before piracy "put huge wholes in their boat....but they were never "Gods" in my eye.
sorry no answer soon had a lot going on :mrgreen:

Not sure, but I believe the ban is on import for re-sale or distribution only. In other words, You MAY be able to buy "direct to consumer" discs. I need to research this more...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:58 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

MtnKaraoke wrote:
I don't know who exactly you are referring to... I don't recall anyone saying that SC is "the one and only".

Their product is (as you've acknowledged) among the best produced by any manufacturer.

That being said, even when they were producing regular updates, PHM continually beat them to the "shelves".

So now, monthly updates come from PHM, CB, SF, and Mr. E. (Mr. E actually does some of the best lyric sync and true to original music for new pop & urban)

I hope that answers your question Joe.

Now, let me ask you one. If SC were to produce an update disc right now, what songs would you want to see them do and would you buy that disc?

First, let me say that though I have acknowledged that they made a very nice product, I never said they were among the best. I'm a DK fan ( the gold standard before SC out-marketed them) for pop, now Zoom.

Stellar may have beat them to the shelves- which has been the main reson they have been successful, but they have always produced what I cal "Generic Karaoke" tracks. Singable, but kinda bland. For quick updates I go to Karaoke Kurrents ( SuperCore, who I have always liked) or Quick hits, who seem to do an OK job. CB for country, of course, and there are still plenty of MMs out there for oldies and such. Pocket Songs for Show tunes hands down, along with several other tracks of an eclectic mix of genres. I like Radio Starz and Monster hits ( all still out there) as well.

Since I no longer buy SC, and since they are no longer in the karaoke production business, listing songs that I would like to see from them is a moot point.

Last edited by JoeChartreuse on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
JoeChartreuse wrote:
MtnKaraoke wrote:

Since I no longer buy SC, and since they are no longer in the karaoke production business, listing songs that I would like to see from them is a moot point.

I have a few:

#1. Take This Disc And Shove It - KJ and the Customers

#2. Please Re-Grease Me - Kurt and the Sleptones

#3. Stand By Your Brand - Debbie and the Chin Waggers

#4. Tricky, Tricky Lawmen - Harrington and the Intimidators

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 53 times
c. staley wrote:
I have a few:

LMAO!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
c. staley wrote:
JoeChartreuse wrote:
MtnKaraoke wrote:

I have a few:

bawahb!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:13 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
c. staley wrote:
I have a few:

But even you wouldn't buy that disc. It also looks like it would have been made by BCI because there are only 4 tracks. You gonna sell this one at Wally-World?

Got to admit Chip, you've got a great sense of humor. :D Care to produce the album cover? (careful not to use anyone's trademark)

more tracks:

#5. What's that on my shoulder? - Chip & The Birds Of Song

#6. Need No Stinking Computer - Joe C & The Luddites

#7. 120,000 Tracks - Blackbeard & The Hard Disks

#8. Staley's Sphincter Necklace - The Luddites Of Piracy*

#9. Vendetta - The Luddites Of Piracy*

#10. Point Of View - The Luddites Of Piracy*

*from their debut album "Point of View" (all rights reserved) :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:25 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
For new music I like the Chartbuster 3 disk sets that come out every six months. I'm using a lot of SBI which I have been very happy with. Quik Hits has been good for the newer pop stuff. I still buy some of the older Sound Choice disks. I would buy Sound Choice downloads if I could use them at my shows.

Sound choice is still my #1 pick over all, Chartbuster #1 for country, Music Maestro for Doo Wop and Oldies. I buy a lot of Pocket Songs, Radio Starz and Zoom too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:47 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

MtnKaraoke wrote:
[Got to admit Chip, you've got a great sense of humor. :D Care to produce the album cover? (careful not to use anyone's trademark)

more tracks:

#6. Need No Stinking Computer - Joe C & The Luddites
:lol:

I LOVE IT! :lol: The B side happens to be "Now Where Did I Put That Crank?" :P

Be sure to look for upcoming releases:

"There's A Disc Out Tonite"

" My Girlfriend's A Player"

"Can't Scratch This"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
MtnKaraoke wrote:
Got to admit Chip, you've got a great sense of humor. :D Care to produce the album cover? (careful not to use anyone's trademark)

Don't have the album cover.... but I found the manual:

And a cartoon:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:52 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

c. staley wrote:
MtnKaraoke wrote:

Don't have the album cover.... but I found the manual:

And a cartoon:

I think it sucks that there is no "thanks" or "like" button here. THANKS!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:31 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 17 times
I think we have been incorrectly referencing the Latham Act as a defense, as it specifically deals with sales.

Hey Chip, check out this site and see if this doesn't apply: Go to: (II. Nominative Use As Fair Use:)
http://www.mondaq.com/unitedstates/article.asp?articleid=44468

All situations seem to conform to Fair Use!!!!

But, as you have said, where is the Monetary Damage of showing their Trademarks. (LOL)

Your Cartoons say it all! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next