KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - PEP hints at service mark lawsuits.. Will they last? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:30 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Here is the PEP Logo

Attachments:
Phoenix Rising.jpg
Phoenix Rising.jpg [ 44.45 KiB | Viewed 26409 times ]
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:46 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
8) Rather than the Phoenix rising from the ashes, they are more like the rocket that fizzled.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:37 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
8) Rather than the Phoenix rising from the ashes, they are more like the rocket that fizzled.

Personally, I tend to agree with you... But after thinking about it some, I think PEP tends to be more zombie-like: basically lurking around in the background as an undead label.

Look at the PEP website: PEP is still pushing the ADVANCE line under the 'New Production' tab (That was what early 2016 when we saw a potential list?). Under the PRIME page, they are still showing April 15, 2016 as a deadline for a bonus 3 months if you sign up. I know they have an SCE site you can access from typing in the old domain name, but no action there either, and no link from PEP.rocks to the SCE site as far as I can see.

How good is everyone feeling about buying into PRIME these days?

While PEP's website remains basically static, Karaoke Versions is far from. Last night, I bought a few more tracks, and downloaded the Karafun software to try it out as well. How bad is the pirating for them if they are giving away the software for free?. True, I'm sure they would love for you to subscribe to their service, but its not required to use the software. Besides, I have like 15 pages of KV tracks for each rig I own (I buy more then ONE copy ::gasp!::), so I think I can look it over or use it without feeling guilty.

So there is the difference: PEP loves to talk about its past, and Karaoke Versions is producing tracks daily. Go figure who is the leader now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Sort of like Marlin Brando's ex-fighter from the movie "On The Waterfront", "I could have been somebody, I could have been a contender, I could had some class, instead of what I am a bum". SC could have been a contender, now they are only ambulance chasing, intellectual property trolls, it's very sad. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:37 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
Nah, I'm not gonna deny their past: They WERE somebody, and at one time, leaders of the industry. Many of us have Sound Choice CDs (and the subsequent headaches) to prove it. It's why they are able be the Zombie that they are, and why PEP/SC policy dominates this board as it does.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:15 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Toastedmuffin wrote:
Nah, I'm not gonna deny their past: They WERE somebody, and at one time, leaders of the industry. Many of us have Sound Choice CDs (and the subsequent headaches) to prove it. It's why they are able be the Zombie that they are, and why PEP/SC policy dominates this board as it does.

Exactly. It's "policy" and not "product."

They used to be a leader but like Keith Richards, they don't know they're dead yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:32 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Actually the Policy is the Product. At least it will be once whatever GEM's are left are leased.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:37 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

This thread must be radioactive. I've noticed that
"Avis the Yeti slayer" hasn't been here to defend PEP.... (perhaps more control?)
Timberlea hasn't done a drive by in a while
InsaneKJ and WallOfSound have been MIA for a while
Athena's husband won't let her speak (much)
Kinney's missing...
Bazza must be snoozing.... (again)

Perhaps it's just the "deserted ship syndrome?"

carry on...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Could be that maybe all of this business about PEP is just not that important, if it ever was? When you think about it this 7 year attempt to get back something that is long gone is quite futile. From the beginning nothing could be done about the home user abuser where most of the loses occurred. Next it was the host that was going to be made to pay, since they were a visible target. Then again the pirate host hasn't got anything to take, they can shut up shop, and just move to another location. The last target is the venues that hire hosts, but even that it is no sure thing, the suits in Las Vegas show that. Today there are more pirate hosts than ever, and SC's products are being replaced by other brands. They have poisoned the SC brand and if they continue could do the same thing to CB. I think most hosts have given up on PEP achieving anything in a meaningful way, and have come to grips with the fact that their business depends on them individually and not some washed up manu.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
The "Fear Factor" is no longer real to anyone. The Big Bad Wolf has had its teeth removed one canine at a time. The bite is gone and anyone who wants the entire Sound Choice library already has it; Gem series included. PEP is like the Japanese soldier who was still fighting the war on a deserted island in 1970. The war is over, Jim. The pirates have won. It's time to pack up your gear and head home.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:24 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Two reasons why I bowed out.....

1) I won't debate a liar. Can't have a reasonable discussion with someone that doesn't place any value on truth.

2) Posts get disappeared by a mod with an agenda. Can't have a reasonable discussion when one is censored.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
chrisavis wrote:

1) I won't debate a liar. Can't have a reasonable discussion with someone that doesn't place any value on truth.

2) Posts get disappeared by a mod with an agenda. Can't have a reasonable discussion when one is censored.

100% concurrence.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:47 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
It is not up to us to police others' trademarks for them. If the owners of those marks want to make arrangements with our licensees, they are welcome to do so. We do recommend in all cases that our licensees take steps to ensure full compliance with all applicable laws.

The operative word in that last sentence is "recommend" because it is virtually impossible for any of their licensees to actually be "in full compliance with all applicable laws."

The gem license as well as the help license, (and just about every other license they offer) has no value to the licensee unless they are willing to commit copyright infringement in the exercise of that license. You'll notice that all of these licenses specifically disclaim and hold the Phoenix entertainment partners harmless in the event of "infringement." While some of their licenses also explained to the licensee that they need to acquire whatever permissions are necessary in order to perform tracks publicly, Phoenix entertainment partners already know that creating this secondary copy of a "third-party rights holder's intellectual property" is a violation of copyright. Especially with the gem series licenses because they are specifically designed for "professional karaoke hosts" for use in commercial shows.

I'd like to know if there is a single one – just one –
licensee that can step forward that has actually received permission from every publisher for this necessary permission. As Mr. Harrington has repeated time and time again; "our permission may be sufficient, but it may not be enough."

Therefore, his statement: "We do recommend in all cases that our licensees take steps to ensure full compliance with all applicable laws." is something that he knows full well in reality will never happen, but is placed here so in the future he can say; "Look! We have been telling KJ's for years to make sure that they are legal." In other words, he's playing his own licensees for suckers because he is not protecting them, he has even reassured them over the years that while it's possible for a publisher to sue them for not getting this permission, it would be "highly unlikely" and therefore he is only protecting his own skin.

He wants his licensees to take 100% of the risk, but he will disclaim 100% of the responsibility.

Yes, it's all about integrity and ethics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:55 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Sort of like mission impossible, "If you or any member of your team is killed or captured, the United State will disavow any knowledge of your actions".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:13 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:

Now you're just whining like a child. Have I sued your customers?... I don't think so. It's easy enough to defeat ANY watermarking (even if you can't find it) just like getting around Media Cloq was.

But you keep believing PEP's 6-year "promises" of new music, etc... At what point do they become "lies?" You paid them to become a licensee so I don't think you will ever believe you've been lied to. Harrington promised new music and even took your money in advance, later to explain that it was only "to test the market" and you still don't consider that a lie? What an amazing set of flexible standards you have.
chrisavis wrote:
Posts get disappeared by a mod with an agenda. Can't have a reasonable discussion when one is censored.
More whining? It seems to be that this is the greatest place on earth where you can post your stories about a yeti, personal insults galore, brag about your business and defend Harrington at every turn. But simply because a few of your inappropriate posts were removed by a moderator, suddenly there is an agenda against you? Your failure to understand and follow the rules of the forum – is your own fault. Grow up.

JimHarrington wrote:
100% concurrence.
Of course you would. Why would anyone expect anything less?

You're both just waving around the "victim card."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
chrisavis wrote:
Can't have a reasonable discussion with someone that doesn't place any value on truth.

More to this point, I have decided not to respond any further to Mr. Staley on any subject. Any responses I ever give are met either with "I don't believe you" or with goalpost moving, so that there is simply no point in giving them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Wow.....you mean, our very own "50 Shades Of GRIPE" may have written its last sequel??? Many of you folks have been indirectly suggesting that those two "get a room", but it looks like that will never happen (a room with "bondage" contracts and "dominant" behavior....well, I guess they HAVE had THAT "room" here in the Forum)...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:12 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
Can't have a reasonable discussion with someone that doesn't place any value on truth.

More to this point, I have decided not to respond any further to Mr. Staley on any subject. Any responses I ever give are met either with "I don't believe you" or with goalpost moving, so that there is simply no point in giving them.

8) Good then you won't be fear mongering and trying to whip people into a frenzy of PEP paranoia! If you don't post then all of this will just go away, I wonder how long you will be able to go before you have to post again, it's just a matter of time. After all suits and fear of suits drives sales, right? Without sales PEP is finished.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:18 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

When it comes to telling the truth, why would that be any different than what you do now? Every time you seem to get cornered, you clam up and run away or claim that "the goalposts were moved." Sounds like sour grapes to me counselor.

Tell me if you consider this a lie:

If I were to take somebody's money and promised them a service in exchange, and two years later still not provided that service, would you consider that to be:
(A) an oversight?
(B) a swindle?
(C) a lie?

I think the answer here is simply "not (A)"

You have KJ's that have paid you for certification – an audit – almost two years ago and you have still not completed it. You have given them what you called "a provisional certification" which you have subsequently discontinued. I would kind of put that in the category of a lie, wouldn't you? (it doesn't matter that you haven't sued them, you have not delivered what you promised and that is the fundamental issue)

You've been promising new production for over six years – I would kind of put that in the category of a lie as well, wouldn't you? In the real world of karaoke production, the karaoke manufacturer first selects the songs and then acquires the license to produce them. You can't name a single song that you want to produce, but you claim that you are "waiting on the publishers to give you permission" or some other baloney story. If you've been waiting this long, the songs you want to produce have already been produced by other manufacturers. Why would anyone want to purchase your product?

And you want to call me the liar? You're the one that has poisoned your own well, not me.

I believe your company to be nothing more than a parasite who promises production, but delivers nothing more than ridiculously one-sided contracts and lawsuits, but I think you would call that a lie as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:23 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

doowhatchulike wrote:
Many of you folks have been indirectly suggesting that those two "get a room", but it looks like that will never happen (a room with "bondage" contracts and "dominant" behavior....well, I guess they HAVE had THAT "room" here in the Forum)...

Yep, tried a separate place, PEP wouldn't walk in the door.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next