KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Las Vegas Suits Dismissed.... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:12 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
There are programs that do a "government" style wipe on your drives that will destroy whatever they are used on. If you change the drive, there is nothing for SC to prove. Crap, you could just replace a whole computer, and what can SC do about it?? It's not like their inspectors check serial numbers and model numbers. I'm sure not too many hosts would allow ANYONE to touch the equipment. A person could have 5 of the same model computer, and only one of them has SC music on it. How is SC supposed to make a case then?? Go ahead, subpoena my computer. You will find nothing and no evidence of any wrong doing on it. The judge would have to dismiss the case. I am sure as time goes by, and people read more and more about these lawsuits, they will figure out ways of getting around them.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:40 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 16 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
I am sure as time goes by, and people read more and more about these lawsuits, they will figure out ways of getting around them.

No doubt. Criminals always find ways around the laws.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Smooth, I hope you don't go into the criminal business because some of the ways you spout off of trying to hide activities is really moronic. You must think all cops and PIs are really stupid. If this were so, there'd be no prisons. And no, I will not tell you all the flaws in your "logic".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

timberlea wrote:
Smooth, I hope you don't go into the criminal business because some of the ways you spout off of trying to hide activities is really moronic. You must think all cops and PIs are really stupid. If this were so, there'd be no prisons. And no, I will not tell you all the flaws in your "logic".

There is a difference between stealing a car, and trademark infringement.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:

Just curious. What would those differences be?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:47 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
It can be very easy to lose sight of the ball. The system of checks and balances in our civil court system is in a constant state of flux. Some areas have not been defined; others often need further definition and often redefinition. These cases are no exception. Questioning aspects of the process is what helps define it and can alter it for good one way or the other. "Working the system" is not an uncommon procedure in our country, day in, day out, individual or company, big or small. Our way of processing such situations will always be questionable, just as we question the procedures in other countries. Despite the omnipresent nature of the internet, not all countries have forums such as this for outlets to spur thoughts and generate interest, At least we have that. As far as the resulting chaos and confusion, well, welcome to planet earth, fellow humans...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:39 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Bazza wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:

Well, both illegal, so no difference there. I guess the differences would be in the penalties. Stealing a car is a feloneous offense. Stealing someones trademark (or using it without permission) is punishable by monetary fines & cease and desist I would guess.

Interesting according to wiki, copyright infringement is considered a felony
Felonies include but are not limited to the following:
Murder;
Rape;
Aggravated assault and/or battery;
Arson;
Robbery;
Burglary;
Various forms of fraud
The manufacture, sale, distribution, or possession with intent to distribute of certain types and/or quantities of illegal drugs;
In some states, the simple possession (possession without intent to distribute, e.g., for personal use) of certain types of illegal drugs, usually in more than a certain quantity but regardless of quantity for some drugs in some jurisdictions (such as Virginia for cocaine and heroin);
Grand larceny or grand theft, i.e., larceny or theft above a certain statutorily established value or quantity of goods; and
Vandalism on federal property.
Treason;
Kidnapping;
Perjury;
Check fraud;
Copyright infringement;

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:49 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Lonman wrote:
Bazza wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:

Well, both illegal, so no difference there. I guess the differences would be in the penalties. Stealing a car is a feloneous offense. Stealing someones trademark (or using it without permission) is punishable by monetary fines & cease and desist I would guess.

Interesting according to wiki, copyright infringement is considered a felony
Felonies include but are not limited to the following:
Murder;
Rape;
Aggravated assault and/or battery;
Arson;
Robbery;
Burglary;
Various forms of fraud
The manufacture, sale, distribution, or possession with intent to distribute of certain types and/or quantities of illegal drugs;
In some states, the simple possession (possession without intent to distribute, e.g., for personal use) of certain types of illegal drugs, usually in more than a certain quantity but regardless of quantity for some drugs in some jurisdictions (such as Virginia for cocaine and heroin);
Grand larceny or grand theft, i.e., larceny or theft above a certain statutorily established value or quantity of goods; and
Vandalism on federal property.
Treason;
Kidnapping;
Perjury;
Check fraud;
Copyright infringement;

8) And Yet Lonman SC is only seeking civil damages, not criminal charges. The standard of evidence is set much lower, and the defendant cannot use his 5th amendment rights according to James. SC does not want to put people out of business or in jail, then who would buy their product? These suits are a demonstration of what can happen and are used to induce hosts to buy and use their product. After all the name of the game is recovery, not placing hosts or venues behind bars. Have a blessed day.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:00 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
And Yet Lonman SC is only seeking civil damages, not criminal charges. The standard of evidence is set much lower, and the defendant cannot use his 5th amendment rights according to James. SC does not want to put people out of business or in jail, then who would buy their product? These suits are a demonstration of what can happen and are used to induce hosts to buy and use their product. After all the name of the game is recovery, not placing hosts or venues behind bars.

So I am clear. Are you saying one crime is OK, while another is not?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:11 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Bazza wrote:

Not me- SC. They say that if one is compliant to their wishes, or pays them, they will turn a blind eye to what THEY consider the crime of media-shifting.

Now, since THEY consider it a crime ( until they get theirs) then it would seem to be their civic duty to report media shifted music to the publishers/ owners. However, it would seem that compliance and/or payment would cause them to aid and abet a shifter ( who they claim is doing something wrong unless they either pay SC off or comply with their wishes- nothing to do with LAW)- especially in regard to the GEM series that- though they say they cannot give permission to media shift- is designed for ease of transfer to a computer.

To simplify: SC is saying that if one commits what they consider a crime, it's OK if they get something out of it....

That answer your question?

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:47 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JoeChartreuse wrote:
Bazza wrote:

Not me- SC. They say that if one is compliant to their wishes, or pays them, they will turn a blind eye to what THEY consider the crime of media-shifting.

Now, since THEY consider it a crime ( until they get theirs) then it would seem to be their civic duty to report media shifted music to the publishers/ owners. However, it would seem that compliance and/or payment would cause them to aid and abet a shifter ( who they claim is doing something wrong unless they either pay SC off or comply with their wishes- nothing to do with LAW)- especially in regard to the GEM series that- though they say they cannot give permission to media shift- is designed for ease of transfer to a computer.

To simplify: SC is saying that if one commits what they consider a crime, it's OK if they get something out of it....

That answer your question?

Well, wouldn't that make them no better than the Mafia, who go around hitting up shop owners for protection money??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:50 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Bazza wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:

Those differences are that one, car theft, is an actual crime. Trademark infringement is only a crime if the trademark holder says it is. Like Joe C. said, if you pay them they will turn their backs and let you carry on. It's a scam of massive proportions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:48 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Bazza wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
And Yet Lonman SC is only seeking civil damages, not criminal charges. The standard of evidence is set much lower, and the defendant cannot use his 5th amendment rights according to James. SC does not want to put people out of business or in jail, then who would buy their product? These suits are a demonstration of what can happen and are used to induce hosts to buy and use their product. After all the name of the game is recovery, not placing hosts or venues behind bars.

8) Like Joe says Bazza the enforcement arm that has set its self up as the morale police a.k.a. SC can be bribed. Even if a host has stole from them, SC can be paid off, bought. The price has been set by James, settlement, leave the business or take your chances with a trial. It is much like if you commit a murder and you pay the cop not to arrest you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:32 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
But the cop keeps the evidence just in case at some point down the line you screw up and call him an a$$hole. Next thing you know the bloody knife turns up and OJ is found guilty all over again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:46 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

BruceFan4Life wrote:
But the cop keeps the evidence just in case at some point down the line you screw up and call him an a$$hole. Next thing you know the bloody knife turns up and OJ is found guilty all over again.

Nope, can't happen. That would be Double jeopardy. Once acquitted, no matter what evidence is found, OJ cannot be tried again for that murder.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:29 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
"Once acquitted, no matter what evidence is found, OJ cannot be tried again for that murder."

But he lost in civil court for the deaths of his ex and Goldman.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:33 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
timberlea wrote:
"Once acquitted, no matter what evidence is found, OJ cannot be tried again for that murder."

But he lost in civil court for the deaths of his ex and Goldman.

But that was only a monetary loss, he can't go to jail for that murder.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:47 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

timberlea wrote:

Even I, the forum's Super-Luddite, am capable of full erasure from a drive. Yes, I understand that Windows never really erases everything, but that is easily circumvented, and you don't even have to buy any special software ( though it's available for as little as $29) if you know anything at all about programming- and my knowledge is OLD- pre-Windows- yet still works.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:01 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
BruceFan4Life wrote:

Double jeopardy doesn't apply if the case never went to court in the first place because someone took a bribe to ignore the evidence. Can't be double jeopardy if there was a never a first jeopardy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:06 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Well, the deadline has passes. Did SC step up, or...um....lay down...?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next