KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Interesting Thing Happened Tonight.................... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:50 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
This is why I keep my business limited to what I can handle on my own, and I have a full time job. No plans on changing anything.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:55 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
@birdofsong - if that is what Chip meant to say, then that is what he should have said.

I am perfectly aware of all of the things you brought up by the way. I have watched this industry for a LONG time. I know the ins and outs. I have a couple of friends that have been in this business since the laserdisc days.

-Chris

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:12 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
chrisavis wrote:
Just because I have not quit my day job and tried to replace my income with karaoke doesn’t automatically make this a hobby nor should it imply that I don’t ever want to be profitable.

This is a perfect example of you twisting what I say to fit your tirade; I've never said you don't "want" to be profitable, I said you "have no incentive" to make it profitable. And even you have stated that you just might change your mind and sell off your extra disc sets "at a hefty profit" is that not correct? If karaoke was your mainstay, you'd be focused on expanding and increasing your income.

chrisavis wrote:
Also, just because I made an off the cuff comment about having had "more expensive hobbies in my lifetime" doesn't mean that I consider what I am doing here a hobby either.

I'm not a mind reader.... I can only take what you type here as your truth. Now, if you want to be able to reserve the right to make a statement one day -- then when it comes back to bite you -- simply claim it was "off the cuff" then I'll have to reconsider how much credence I should give your statements in the first place. Wouldn't you agree that's only fair?

chrisavis wrote:
I get the distinct impression that you are a little perturbed that I have a day job that allows me the freedom to execute my plans on my schedule. I don’t understand why it bothers you so much that I am supplementing my income with karaoke now with a long term goal of using it as my sole source of income in the future. I believe all of us would like to be able to ease into a new profession on our own terms and I just happen to be in that position. Why do you want to fault me for that?

Not perturbed at all. It's actually good that you have a day job that allows you to make these purchases and ease into it slowly. Heaven knows your life would drastically change if you suddenly had to pay all your living expenses off your karaoke income alone.

chrisavis wrote:
You have demonstrated over and over that you will happily make assumptions or simply ignore stated information, even when factual, and then make proclamations based upon little or no concrete information. To prove these points…..

You asked me in another thread how long it would take to get my investment back. I spoke in general terms about what I am doing now and what I am working on for the future. Anyone who reads that should realize that some of what I am doing is no small task and requires a certain level of dedication. I am quite serious about what I am trying to accomplish. That response alone demonstrates that this is much more than a hobby and that I fully intend to be profitable some day.

Dress up your narrative here with as much flowery flag-waving as you want because when it gets right down to it, you've never answered the original question put to you - "general terms" is not an answer, it's a deflection. It's almost as though you might be a little embarrassed at how much time it will actually take for you to recoup your current investment. So I'll ask you again point blank and see if you have the cajones to provide an answer; Based on your investment to date, at the current rate of pay, how long will it take to recoup your investment in your karaoke business?

I don't want to know how many dollars you've invested or even how much you make, I'm asking for a time frame -- is this too difficult for you to answer?

chrisavis wrote:
Also contrary to your statements of me not wanting to be profitable, I have stated several times in these very forums that I would someday like to have karaoke as my sole source of income. For that to happen, one MUST be profitable.

Again, I never said that and you're simply repeating your action of sticking words in my mouth. (and "someday" I want to be a lottery winner too - I'm investing in the tickets now -- right.)

chrisavis wrote:
Given that you have no clue as to exactly what I get paid for my karaoke shows, what side gigs I have lined up, what side jobs I have performed and have lined up, what my expansion plans are or what has even transpired in just the last couple of days, it is impossible for you to state that I have no desire to ever be profitable. In fact, that is exactly opposite of what I have said I would like to do with karaoke. You aren't even making an assumption since what you are stating is contrary to what I have stated my plans are. You are simply contradicting to contradict.

More drivel. Why are you so focused on something that YOU said, not me? It must be your unending desire to paint me as some evil villain out to do nothing but argue with any moving object so you're now inventing the arguments?

chrisavis wrote:
c. staley wrote:
I personally would love to see him get multiple systems going..... and then we'll see how long he'll last. That's a whole new ballgame rife with headaches he cannot right now, even fathom.

You are implying that I simply can’t cut it. That I am incapable of doing what other people on these forums, other hosting companies in my region, and any number of pirates around the United States seem to be doing just fine.

Not at all, I'm implying that you have no idea of the pitfalls that are before you. They are not as visible as you might think. War stories from KJ's with more experience are certainly lessons to be learned from the easy way, but they don't apply to your situation. And even though you believe you "know the ropes" when it comes to this business, it'll take a few years of experience in the water before you can swim and not just the theory of swimming as told to you by others.

chrisavis wrote:
I sense that you would like to see me fail.

I am only responsible for what I SAY and not what YOU understand. I don't believe I've ever alluded to that at all so please don't paint yourself as though you are now some kind of victim here, you're not.

chrisavis wrote:
Personally, I would like to buy a truck big enough for seven rigs that I can park on my property (no zoning restrictions to fight in my neighborhood) and then legally put them all into operation just to demonstrate to you that I can run a multi-rig operation efficiently and profitably. But I don’t owe you anything and I am not going to base my business model on proving you wrong.

You don't owe me anything, you got that right. BTW, the truck story that you got from WallOfSound or Thunder or InsaneKJ shows your willingness to jump on any convenient bandwagon or dogpile into something that really is none of your business - how "cheerleader" of you. And the truck wouldn't hold 7 systems, the most it would hold (packed tightly) was five. Any questions you'd like to ask me directly instead of the "gossip mill?"

chrisavis wrote:
I will continue to build my business, at my pace, with my goals and my aspirations in mind.
You may or may not be made aware of my progress as I see fit.

Good for you..... knock 'em dead and I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
I will never be a multi-rigger. There is only one of "me", and that's what I market and what you get when you hire "me". Not some flunky kid trying to be me. When you pay to see a certain comic or musician, you expect them. Not someone who works for them and knows all the lines so they can be two places at once. It's a difference in strategy. Some people market their company as a service. Hire "ABC Karaoke" and you get who you get as a host. I market ME and I am what makes me light years different from ABC Karaoke.

I also am quite happy doing 2-3 shows as week as a second income. Could I make a go of it full time? Sure, if I had to. Thankfully I don't have to and thus it is still fun (instead of a job) every show.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:42 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 16 times
birdofsong wrote:
Crap like spending huge amounts of money fixing your equipment when your hosts constantly break things because they don't give a crap about anything that belongs to you and treat your things like they are their personal playground....Crap like carting systems around all day and setting them up and tearing them down so your hosts who have no ambition and no life can make more per gig than you do...Crap like having the city tell you that you can't keep the truck you bought to cart the systems to gigs at your own home because it's slightly too tall...Crap like having your hosts shark your gigs...Crap like trying to figure out at the end of the month how you ended up making so little money when you were working so hard....

In the Human Resources realm of things, why would somebody hire people like this in the first place? On the other hand though, employees in many businesses can be flaky and require supervision. Do you hire people you meet in the bar at your shows or do you advertise and interview along with recruitment efforts?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:47 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Second City Song wrote:
Do you hire people you meet in the bar at your shows or do you advertise and interview along with recruitment efforts?

We never hired people we meet in a bar.... always by advertising, interview and audition.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:50 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

c. staley wrote:
Second City Song wrote:
Do you hire people you meet in the bar at your shows or do you advertise and interview along with recruitment efforts?

We never hired people we meet in a bar.... always by advertising, interview and audition.

Well then perhaps you need to hone up on your hiring skills or at the very least, invest in some sort of supervision practices.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Second City Song wrote:
Well then perhaps you need to hone up on your hiring skills or at the very least, invest in some sort of supervision practices.

Easy to say in theory, unprofitable and difficult to put into practice. (Especially unprofitable)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:08 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

c. staley wrote:
Second City Song wrote:

Easy to say in theory, unprofitable and difficult to put into practice. (Especially unprofitable)

Well then, maybe you should get out of the business since you may not have the skills to control your staff, or unable to afford to hire someone who does have those skills.

Apparently not having this management structure has caused you to lose profit or forces you to be overworked.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:17 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Second City Song wrote:
Well then, maybe you should get out of the business since you may not have the skills to control your staff, or unable to afford to hire someone who does have those skills.

Apparently not having this management structure has caused you to lose profit or forces you to be overworked.

You make it sound like it was an everyday affair. Remember that I ran multiple systems approximately 15 years – every single day was not a catastrophe. And keep in mind that the staff were independent contractors – not company employees.

I had a number of people that I can proudly say I kept employed during that time. It's very easy to sit back and make a judgment call on someone that runs multiple systems – I imagine there's even a certain amount of jealousy in that – just keep in mind that it's not all profit, it comes at a cost.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:59 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Chip -

To repeat - you saying I have no incentive to be profitable is contrary to my statements. You are effectively saying i don't want to be profitable. You are simply calling out the same wordplay that you empoy.

You aren't a mind reader - You don't seem to be a forum reader. You just take the words other people write, twist them up, and then turn them around on people. It really is an amazingly ugly thing to watch.

Re-couping my investment - I no more have to answer your question than you have to answer my question about your Chartbuster Digital media. Stalemate.

c. staley wrote:
It must be your unending desire to paint me as some evil villain out to do nothing but argue with any moving object so you're now inventing the arguments?

I do not think you are evil.....not yet anyway. I do believe you live for an argument though. That can be evidenced in the manner with which you dissect posts.

The Pitfalls Ahead - I am not omniscient. I do not believe things will go perfectly, and I do believe there will be unforseen circumstances that catch me off guard. I am also confident that I can make it work. Try giving me the benefit of the doubt instead of trying to deter me.

Does the truck hold 5 or 7? - I did not get my information from anyone else regarding this matter. While you may not want it to be anyone else's business, public records are exactly that.

-Chris

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:24 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Some of the best hosts i've hired in the past were right from the bar. 2 people that I hired through ads in the past were the ones that tried to screw me over.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
c. staley wrote:
Second City Song wrote:

Wait--are you saying that sometimes, despite your best efforts to supervise and control the people who work for you, they sometimes screw things up for you?

Unpossible.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 118 times
Second City Song wrote:
c. staley wrote:
Second City Song wrote:

You sound exactly like someone with no kids who is an expert on parenting. So how many systems did YOU run at one time, who did YOU hire and how did you do things differently so these things never happened to YOU?

Or are you just an armchair expert who doesn't have any experience whatsoever at running a multiple system business?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:52 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

My professional background is in recruiting.

I am not a KJ but looking into possibly getting into it.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:33 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 6 times
Yeah, they are diverse in the investigators they employ, too. I have had hotties, older farmer-looking guys, suits, you name it. I guess I should be glad that they are so diligent, but it's kind of a pain. I'm 100% legal, but it gets ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:39 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Willametteduck wrote:
Yeah, they are diverse in the investigators they employ, too. I have had hotties, older farmer-looking guys, suits, you name it. I guess I should be glad that they are so diligent, but it's kind of a pain. I'm 100% legal, but it gets ridiculous.

I think the blind ones are a hoot....