KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Getting frustrated and changing my mind (21000 unique songs) Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:50 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
Why would they have it in one place you can (The FAQ), and one place you can't (The Terms)? That makes no $@$%@ing sense.

But then again, I'm finding out after all these years working in this business, nothing makes sense anymore.

::sigh::

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:52 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:

When someone in authority tells me to stop using these songs, I will. Until then, I will use them at my shows.

You're a very nice person Smooth but if the same rules apply between karafun and karaoke-version be prepared to shell out 30k in a french court room as stated in their terms. wink...

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:56 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
How long the domain name is registered for should not have any bearing on the long term viability of the company.

There isn't any doubt in my mind that the KSF folks are making a serious run at providing LONG TERM karaoke services in the US. Only time will tell of course, but I know a lot of KJ's are waiting for them to go live.

As for all the private vs public use stuff......

So long as the PRO fees are paid, you are covered. The EULA or TOS from any of the karaoke providers is between you and them, not between you and the music publishers or artists. The worst that will happen is that Karaoke Version could determine you broke their terms and cancel your account.

That will never happen.

They are never going to cancel a paying customer for using their music in a live karaoke show.

Same applies for every other karaoke music producer - so long as you are paying them, they are going to let you use it.

If I were to have to choose between KaraokeCloud and KaraFun, I would take KaraFun hands down. Better selection, they aren't pulling tracks, faster production, more relevant, and they aren't trying to force changes to the karaoke industry for profit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:59 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Quote:
Where are you located. No matter how I type it, I get their website, on the subscribe screen. Maybe you typed something wrong.

The site karaoke.net is live and working, yes but the page is setup right now to accept email notifications. I used to do this when I wanted my domain name to gain fast popularity and also to collect emails. back in the day, there were many companies that would purchase email lists.

if in fact this is what their plans are, I would suggest a more profitable alternative.

here is a good example:
1) let's say karaoke.net offers an affilliate program
2) I can simply buy up all the related domain names such as Karaoke.org, .ca, .co.uk ETC.
and domain forward all of them to karaoke.net using my affiliate link.

Who's to say what karaoke.net will be planning in future for their 1 year domain name? i just don't see that future as being bright as you see it.

Last edited by karaokeniagarafalls on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:59 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:

When someone in authority tells me to stop using these songs, I will. Until then, I will use them at my shows.

You're a very nice person Smooth but if the same rules apply between karafun and karaoke-version be prepared to shell out 30k in a french court room as stated in their terms. wink...

Do you have any idea, HOW many people, just on this forum use them?? I am not too worried.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
How long the domain name is registered for should not have any bearing on the long term viability of the company.

There isn't any doubt in my mind that the KSF folks are making a serious run at providing LONG TERM karaoke services in the US. Only time will tell of course, but I know a lot of KJ's are waiting for them to go live.

So long as the PRO fees are paid, you are covered. The EULA or TOS from any of the karaoke providers is between you and them, not between you and the music publishers or artists. The worst that will happen is that Karaoke Version could determine you broke their terms and cancel your account.

That will never happen.

They are never going to cancel a paying customer for using their music in a live karaoke show.

Same applies for every other karaoke music producer - so long as you are paying them, they are going to let you use it.

Except for http://www.thekaraokechannel.com/ THEY WILL sue, according to Jim.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:03 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Quote:
Where are you located. No matter how I type it, I get their website, on the subscribe screen. Maybe you typed something wrong.

The site karaoke.net is live and working, yes but the page is setup right now to accept email notifications. I used to do this when I wanted my domain name to gain fast popularity and also to collect emails. back in the day, there were many companies that would purchase email lists.
The site is live, yes, but they haven't started selling, yet. That is still to come. Obviously, any business site is going to want to get e-mail subs, so they can draw business. This is popular with online game companies, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:10 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

That will never happen.

Hmm... Thekaraokechannel owned and operated by stingray.

What a pain in the @SS they are. Licensed only for personal use only, but if you contact them because they promote all kinds of licensing for everyone. They only cater to large organizations and leave you hanging. I've had my fill with them.

I offered to not only purchase their entire collection but also promote karaokechannel logo's on all the tv's and on the main stage showing off karaokechannel banners throughout the entire 10,000 square foot outdoor patio. They just brushed me off like a bug on their shoulders.

Sorry I'll pass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:15 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

That will never happen.

With all due respect to Jim, has anyone in the US been sued by Karaoke Channel? I haven't heard of it. That said, I have only seen a 1/2 dozen Karaoke Channel branded songs at karaoke shows in the past 6 years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:17 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:
Quote:

The site is live, yes, but they haven't started selling, yet. That is still to come. Obviously, any business site is going to want to get e-mail subs, so they can draw business. This is popular with online game companies, too.

I'm sure you heard of a small company called "Verison" who tried to offer services up in Canada.

That went far... "Chuckle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:20 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

That will never happen.

With all due respect to Jim, has anyone in the US been sued by Karaoke Channel? I haven't heard of it. That said, I have only seen a 1/2 dozen Karaoke Channel branded songs at karaoke shows in the past 6 years.

keep in mind karaokechannel is just the name. It's stingray that offers licensing for use of their music. 16500 songs

check here: http://www.stingray.com/business/licensing

Last edited by karaokeniagarafalls on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:21 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

That will never happen.

What a pain in the @SS they are. Licensed only for personal use only, but if you contact them because they promote all kinds of licensing for everyone. They only cater to large organizations and leave you hanging. I've had my fill with them.

I offered to not only purchase their entire collection but also promote karaokechannel logo's on all the tv's and on the main stage showing off karaokechannel banners throughout the entire 10,000 square foot outdoor patio. They just brushed me off like a bug on their shoulders.

Sorry I'll pass

I respect what you are trying to do by the way. When I first started doing karaoke, I reached out to Stellar, Chartbuster and Sound Choice with questions on how to license their entire collections. That is how I found out about the Stellar CAP program and later about the GEM. The CAP program was the closest thing I could find to what I was looking for.

You will be hard pressed to find anyone that will accept a one time payment for access to their entire library. The karaoke companies have woken up and realized they can lease it to you and make more money and retain more control over their IP. Smart business on their side, but changes things for us.

If you want access to a lot of music that you own and no one can take away from you.....buy discs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:24 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

That will never happen.

keep in mind karaokechannel is just the name. It's stingray that offers licensing for use of their music.

check here: http://www.stingray.com/business/licensing

It really doesn't matter what the name is. Make sure the PRO's are paid at your venue and you can use whatever you like.

It is up to Karaoke Channel to enforce their EULA and TOS. I seriously doubt they are going to sue anyone or even terminate an account so long as the account is getting paid on time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:25 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
Yeah, I only found out recently that they are for personal use only. I thought they were part of Sound Choice and in error, put them into my collection. They have since been removed

Oh well, no more money spent there, and I am in process of replacing the songs that were bought on the site. Thankfully, its only about 20 tracks, so no biggie. As it also seems that they aren't putting out anything new or old for that matter, no big loss either.

As for suing people, I will assume that PEP/SC will look into it, take action for Stingray no? I thought they were the same company at one time, I might assume they might still be bedfellows.
EDIT: Added content

Last edited by Toastedmuffin on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:

Hey, if that is the case, I will start using them. LOL. I could always use a new outlet for Karaoke music.

Let's see how fast Jim jumps on this. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

That will never happen.

Sorry I'll pass

I respect what you are trying to do by the way. When I first started doing karaoke, I reached out to Stellar, Chartbuster and Sound Choice with questions on how to license their entire collections. That is how I found out about the Stellar CAP program and later about the GEM. The CAP program was the closest thing I could find to what I was looking for.

You will be hard pressed to find anyone that will accept a one time payment for access to their entire library. The karaoke companies have woken up and realized they can lease it to you and make more money and retain more control over their IP. Smart business on their side, but changes things for us.

If you want access to a lot of music that you own and no one can take away from you.....buy discs.

Hey Chris... Ya ready for the "Sting" did you know that it is against the law to lease music from a public market.

Go ask Jim that question and share thoughts. This is what the big stir in karaoke is all about. I read this somewhere on one of those "small" company websites.

I've been in the karaoke business since the damn Cassette tapes came out with lyrics on the paper. I can't recall all of the sources but i do recall it was mentioned as so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:38 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

That will never happen.

Sorry I'll pass

Hey Chris... Ya ready for the "Sting" did you know that it is against the law to lease music from a public market.

Go ask Jim that question and share thoughts. This is what the big stir in karaoke is all about. I read this somewhere on one of those "small" company websites.

I've been in the karaoke business since the damn Cassette tapes came out with lyrics on the paper. I can't recall all of the sources but i do recall it was mentioned as so.

I am not advocating that people go out and start using Karaoke Channel tracks. Just stating they aren't a special case for exclusion and they aren't actively suing people. Of course that may have more to do with very few karaoke hosts using Karaoke Channel tracks since they have access to most of the same tracks through Sound Choice.

There are Karaoke Channel tracks in circulation on the pirate portals, but compared to SC or just about any other brand, they don't have nearly as much in the wild. This is probably because most of it is already out there under the Sound Choice brand (not to mention the umpteen other versions).

I have seen some of the "new releases" out there, but they are slower to release than the overseas companies so it is the overseas companies that see most of the piracy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
For the record, I never said that Stingray "will sue" for violating their TOS. I said that if we saw a KC track in a commercial show, we would probably report it to Stingray, or we might take action depending on the circumstances.

It is true that leasing sound recordings is not covered by the compulsory mechanical license and thus would be a copyright infringement under certain circumstances. However, karaoke recordings are not sound recordings; they are audiovisual works, the same category as movies, which are not subject to that restriction. (Which is how companies like Blockbuster--RIP--and Netflix could exist, and why they don't rent music CDs.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:48 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

after many phone calls back and forth with Licensing companies, the conclusion I got was always directed to the descretion of the brand holder as far as using the product. We never own anything in the music business, we just pay the fees to use them in todays market.

So here in Canada, I just pay the yearly fee of 145.00 CAD to RE-Sound and let them distribute the royalties.

no harm no foul till they say otherwise.

Back in the day when they invented the cassette recorder, there was many fusses stirred up then too but also back then licensing companies overlooked and did not care to enforce. Maybe it has something to do with evolution in technology.

Bottom line is "the recording studio" calls the shots in past, present and also future. We are merely promoters in the music industry.

Last edited by karaokeniagarafalls on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:54 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 31 times
frede wrote:
When I started I didn’t have a lot of songs so I went with CompuHost and KJmedia Pro. Same songs as the Karaoke Cloud but you buy them as you use them. I also set up an account with Tricerasoft and karaoke version and download songs on the fly. $200 dollars in credits and you're go-to-go for a while and singers love that you found their song. With the money you save plan on buying a GEM set, Black Friday is coming.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but have you noticed:
1) karaoke-version is only licensed for personal use only
2) KJ Media Pro you're right same stuff as digitrax so your limited to only B-side music
I want to request "Big & Rich - Save a horse ride a Cowboy, but sadly not available under digitrax
3) Tricerasoft, I purchase gift packs from them to bring songs down to $1.45/song but have you seen the broad list of their offerings consist of SF, Zoom, Mr. Entertainer. gonna be very limited soon i think.

SBI has a good version of "Big & Rich - Save a horse ride a Cowboy" on Tricerasoft. I typically only buy KJ Media Pro selections if the song (or internet) is not available somewhere else. I wanted a karaoke program that uses Tricerasoft like KJams does and CompuHost was the closest. I saved my pennies for the GEM set.

CompuHost | KJ Media Pro | Karaoke Kiosk | Bose L1 Model II system | B2 bass | ToneMatch audio engine | Shure VHF SM58 wireless mics | Countryman E6 Earset with Shure UHF wireless beltpack

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next