KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - I am so impressed with Sound Choice! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Alan B wrote:
c. staley wrote:
Keep on telling them that they "don't need our product" and eventually everyone will agree with you and believe you.

I'm willing to bet, if Mr. Harrington said the opposite, "you DO need our product", you would still be all over him. Then it would be something like... See, now you're telling people they need your product to be successful. So, it seems that Mr. Harrington's response is immaterial. You're still going to be all over him no matter what he says. This is getting pathetic.

You'd lose that bet because someone that is out to sell a product would not only tell them that they "need our product" but also tell them why they need the product. And it's usually called "selling a product" not "verbally abusing a potential customer."

You think that other customers don't see that treatment? How many people do you know that use Karma but know what the ramifications are if you actually ask for some customer assistance? His reputation of verbally abusing his customers who simply need support isn't winning him bucketloads of sales either.

Wanna sell me a product? Tell me how much and why I need it and wish me luck. But if you're going to browbeat me for disagreeing, you'll never convince me to buy and you'll most likely be convincing the observers as well.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:14 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
Nobody needs a Lexus, but that doesn't stop people from buying a lot of them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:35 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
Nobody needs a Lexus, but that doesn't stop people from buying a lot of them.

That's true... But I also don't see Lexus telling anyone (customer or not) that they don't need it or that they shouldn't ever buy it if they don't like the new models.

Insulting people won't convince them buy your product. (Suing them seems to work though and I believe it was your fearless leader that said: "Suits drive sales.")

Last edited by c. staley on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:37 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Something you don't seem to get, Mr. Staley, is that I have no interest in selling you anything. You're not a customer. Your apparent purpose in life is to complain and criticize SC, and as Alan pointed out, it doesn't matter what I say; to you, it's wrong.

For actual customers, it's a different story. I reach out continually to customers to see what we can do to make things better. We listen carefully and make changes where we can. We accommodate people who, for example, have trouble making their payments, with payment extensions and modifications.

We evangelize to our product when it comes to real customers and prospective customers. But I'm not going to come on here and say that it's a necessity. You can run a perfectly acceptable karaoke show without our product.

And if being "perfectly acceptable" is all you're capable of, all you want to be, then by all means go ahead. But why be satisfied with a below-average operation?

See, I don't need to say that you need our product. Plenty of people say it for me. And, most important of all, the market of use is virtually unanimous: Sound Choice is America's favorite karaoke brand.

I know that kills you, but I'll let you in on another secret that's even worse for you: All that energy you spend attacking me and attacking the brand just makes people love us more.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:12 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Oh geeezz! Really? And you call me the one filled with hatred?
attorney Harrington wrote:
Something you don't seem to get, Mr. Staley, is that I have no interest in selling you anything. You're not a customer. Your apparent purpose in life is to complain and criticize SC, and as Alan pointed out, it doesn't matter what I say; to you, it's wrong.
And I have no interest in buying anything you have to sell and frankly, you have nothing to "sell" and your marketing "skills" aren't much to be desired.

For actual customers, it's a different story. I reach out continually to customers to see what we can do to make things better. We listen carefully and make changes where we can. We accommodate people who, for example, have trouble making their payments, with payment extensions and modifications.

Great... for "actual customers" who already are buying what you're selling. But for everyone else (read that as "prospective customers") you seem to get your pep.rocks off berating them, belittling them or shaming them. I feel sorry for those people.

We evangelize to our product when it comes to real customers and prospective customers. But I'm not going to come on here and say that it's a necessity. You can run a perfectly acceptable karaoke show without our product.

And if being "perfectly acceptable" is all you're capable of, all you want to be, then by all means go ahead. But why be satisfied with a below-average operation?
I would disagree with your characterization because a karaoke show is not graded nor is it dependent, on the library. There's lots of pirates that have every SC track known to man in my area that have tried to take over my "perfectly acceptable" or even "below-average" karaoke show and they haven't done it yet. I've also been making more income with my "below-average karaoke show" than many of your "certified licensees" have or are making. So your presumption is nothing more than more hot air because (apparently you haven't been listening) the karaoke show is NOT dependent on the library.

See, I don't need to say that you need our product. Plenty of people say it for me. And, most important of all, the market of use is virtually unanimous: Sound Choice is America's favorite karaoke brand.
You mean the former company that USED to make karaoke music? They are out of business... folded up like a scared bunny on the run. I'm still in business. Does that surprise you?
Your company hasn't made squat and you keep forgetting that.

I know that kills you, but I'll let you in on another secret that's even worse for you: All that energy you spend attacking me and attacking the brand just makes people love us more.

Another false assumption on your part as evidenced by the dismal participation in your proposed "new product." If you were correct, you'd be sending me commission checks.

BTW: Where are the updates on the number of current reservations? Your web page states:
Quote:
How will we know how many reservations have been made?
We'll update the number from time to time on the website.

Where's that update?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:10 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
And I have no interest in buying anything you have to sell and frankly, you have nothing to "sell" and your marketing "skills" aren't much to be desired.

I guess we're back to speaking in technicalities again.

Far be it from me to psychoanalyze you, but it looks to me like your attitude toward us is primarily driven by the need to justify your own actions in dropping the brand. We started suing people for, among other things, multi-rigging off a single set of discs. That made you angry, or scared you, or whatever, so no matter how justified we might have been in taking the steps we took, suddenly, in your eyes, everything we did was wrong and/or illegal and/or unethical and/or foolish. It reminds me of--have you ever noticed how the people who run all our country's enemies are described as "insane"? I could give you a long list if you like. Now, some of them might well be insane; I don't know them; but it has always struck me as odd, or fortunate, that every last one of them is deranged. Amazing. And so it is with you, toward us. We're unethical, we're bad marketers, we berate our customers and potential customers, we destroy lives, and we probably skin kittens alive and eat them raw.

There is literally nothing we could do that would ever please you, except possibly kill ourselves (but then you'd call us cowards), because if we're right about something, then that exposes you to the possibility that you made a mistake--and we all know THAT's not possible, right?

c. staley wrote:

Great... for "actual customers" who already are buying what you're selling. But for everyone else (read that as "prospective customers") you seem to get your pep.rocks off berating them, belittling them or shaming them. I feel sorry for those people.

We don't berate, belittle, or shame anyone who is legitimately a potential customer. I do respond to your attacks on here, and to others' attacks, because I have found that the best approach to a would-be bully is to stand up for yourself.

c. staley wrote:

I would disagree with your characterization because a karaoke show is not graded nor is it dependent, on the library. There's lots of pirates that have every SC track known to man in my area that have tried to take over my "perfectly acceptable" or even "below-average" karaoke show and they haven't done it yet. I've also been making more income with my "below-average karaoke show" than many of your "certified licensees" have or are making. So your presumption is nothing more than more hot air because (apparently you haven't been listening) the karaoke show is NOT dependent on the library.

So, which is it? Should I say to people that they DO need the library to be successful, or that they DON'T need the library to be successful?

What you seem to be saying to me is that I should tell people that they need the library, and why (even, apparently, if I have to make up reasons), even though that's not really true. If I did that, you'd complain about how I'm just a slimy salesman.

My approach is different. I like the product a lot. When I go to shows--and I go to a lot of them--I see and hear the difference with my own eyes and ears. But you can put the product in the hands of a KJ who's a wet noodle, or who wants to play house music as filler all night long, or who doesn't know how to run the equipment, and that guy won't be successful despite the quality of the music. And in the hands of the right KJ, a hard drive full of MM and SGB will do just fine.

That's the manifest truth, and I'm not going to insult the intelligence of my customer base by telling them that they absolutely have to have our product or face certain ruin.

What I do tell people is that there are a lot of factors that go into being a successful karaoke host. One of those factors is, do you have something to sing for everybody who wants to perform, that looks and sounds great because it was prepared with great care by people who are relentlessly focused on creating the best experience for the performer? If you want that, our products are for you. If that's not important to you, or if you think you can get it elsewhere, that's OK.

I don't need to sell to everybody out there to be successful. I just want to make it so that the people who use the product pay for it. Everything I've done over the last six-plus years has been focused on that.

c. staley wrote:
You mean the former company that USED to make karaoke music? They are out of business... folded up like a scared bunny on the run. I'm still in business. Does that surprise you?
Your company hasn't made squat and you keep forgetting that.

You're confusing corporate form with substance. I don't expect you to understand the difference--you've got a psychological block that prevents it--but let's not pretend that the form of the entity matters.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:20 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
JimHarrington wrote:

Who the Hell do you think you are??? A"below average show"?? I run one of the busiest shows in town, around here!! I don't use a lick of SC, and have even gotten customers FROM those who DO use SC!! So, don't try to say that I run a below average show!! I get MOSTLY quality singers, too. I have REGULARS who are old school Karaoke enthusiasts, who know all about SC and STILL they are at MY shows every week!! You can take your criticism of my show, and stick it where the sun doesn't shine!!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
JimHarrington wrote:
My approach is different. I like the product a lot. When I go to shows--and I go to a lot of them--I see and hear the difference with my own eyes and ears. But you can put the product in the hands of a KJ who's a wet noodle, or who wants to play house music as filler all night long, or who doesn't know how to run the equipment, and that guy won't be successful despite the quality of the music. And in the hands of the right KJ, a hard drive full of MM and SGB will do just fine.

That's the manifest truth, and I'm not going to insult the intelligence of my customer base by telling them that they absolutely have to have our product or face certain ruin.

What I do tell people is that there are a lot of factors that go into being a successful karaoke host. One of those factors is, do you have something to sing for everybody who wants to perform, that looks and sounds great because it was prepared with great care by people who are relentlessly focused on creating the best experience for the performer? If you want that, our products are for you. If that's not important to you, or if you think you can get it elsewhere, that's OK.

I don't need to sell to everybody out there to be successful. I just want to make it so that the people who use the product pay for it. Everything I've done over the last six-plus years has been focused on that.

this is the most elegant and honest thing i have seen from you? THIS makes you sound like a person with his head on straight.

and i will; back you up on something here as well, YOU have never said that SC is a must or your show sucks, it was the cheerleaders saying it. mostly some bird and a southern state KJ claiming that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:

You can run a perfectly acceptable karaoke show without our product.

Who the Hell do you think you are??? A"below average show"?? I run one of the busiest shows in town, around here!! I don't use a lick of SC, and have even gotten customers FROM those who DO use SC!! So, don't try to say that I run a below average show!! I get MOSTLY quality singers, too. I have REGULARS who are old school Karaoke enthusiasts, who know all about SC and STILL they are at MY shows every week!! You can take your criticism of my show, and stick it where the sun doesn't shine!![/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:06 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Attorney Harrington wrote:
I guess we're back to speaking in technicalities again.

Far be it from me to psychoanalyze you, but it looks to me like your attitude toward us is primarily driven by the need to justify your own actions in dropping the brand. We started suing people for, among other things, multi-rigging off a single set of discs. That made you angry, or scared you, or whatever, so no matter how justified we might have been in taking the steps we took, suddenly, in your eyes, everything we did was wrong and/or illegal and/or unethical and/or foolish.
It reminds me of--have you ever noticed how the people who run all our country's enemies are described as "insane"? I could give you a long list if you like. Now, some of them might well be insane; I don't know them; but it has always struck me as odd, or fortunate, that every last one of them is deranged. Amazing. And so it is with you, toward us. We're unethical, we're bad marketers, we berate our customers and potential customers, we destroy lives, and we probably skin kittens alive and eat them raw.
You had no problem over the years of being a self-proclaimed psychoanalyst toward anyone (not just me) that happens to disagree with you. Proclaiming them as angry, scared or even deranged. And even here you're continuing with the same bulls**t worn-out, tired insinuations you've repeated for years... Isn't that what you just described above? You know, repeating stuff over and over, hoping for a different outcome.

In 1998, when your client gave the world permission to use "copies while keeping the originals in archive," I followed the rules, kept my originals safe and used copies.

As a matter of fact, I built my systems around "following the rules" and for NINE YEARS, your client did nothing, no complaints, no nothing.

When you decided to make money by suing people for using these copies, I immediately stopped using your product -- again "following the rules."

We asked nicely for permission when my wife asked you if we "followed your rules" and brought in DISC players, would you give us an "ironclad guarantee" that you would not sue us or the venues -- Your answer was "NO." (and what a bull**it reason you gave too)

So it only makes sense: If a KJ buys the product he can get sued IF (a) they play off of a computer or (b) play off the original discs... (just ask Rodney) it really doesn't matter. Interestingly enough though, I haven't seen you sue YouTube or even a venue that uses YouTube.... Why is that counsel?

Apparently, "following your rules" doesn't mean much and the only mistake I made was purchasing the product in the first place.

Now, you're actively suing venues who don't know -- and by all rights shouldn't even have to care -- about the source of a vendor's tools, equipment or even music. So, to use your description; yes, you skin kittens alive and eat them raw, except in this case, the kittens are venues and you're using your "technicalities" to skin them with.

There is literally nothing we could do that would ever please you, except possibly kill ourselves (but then you'd call us cowards), because if we're right about something, then that exposes you to the possibility that you made a mistake--and we all know THAT's not possible, right?
Wrong again. The biggest difference between me and you (and your company) is integrity.... oh, and ethics. If I give permission for anything, I don't quietly take it back and sue for it because I think I can make a few bucks... When I make a deal, sell a product or even make a promise, I stick to it and take responsibility for my own actions. (I think where you live, it's called "manning up" which is a term you and your client must be unfamiliar with.) Now, if you're feeling so bad that you'd want to kill yourselves, then I'd suggest getting professional assistance quickly because it sounds like a cry for help....

We don't berate, belittle, or shame anyone who is legitimately a potential customer. I do respond to your attacks on here, and to others' attacks, because I have found that the best approach to a would-be bully is to stand up for yourself.
Are you claiming that SmoothEdge69 is a "potential customer?" Because you haven't had a problem verbally bashing on him since the day you decided to "investigate him" (for no cause) and tell him what kind of truck he drives to scare him or prove something. So, who exactly is "the bully" here?
(a) Would it be SmoothEdge69 who has followed "the rules?"
(b) Would it be me who has also "followed the rules?"

What's been making you mad since day one is that I'm not about to allow you to bully me and I'm not afraid to expose your client and "the rules" for what they are: the bully on the playground who wants everyone else's lunch money... everyday.

You've been bullying me about this since day one and I'm the only one (that I know of) that you've specifically, stated in advance that I'm not allowed to "media shift" at all. Gee, I haven't sued you have I? I haven't called your mother and told lies about you have I? I haven't subpoenaed you for any reason at all have I? All I did was buy the product and "follow your rules."

And you're calling ME the bully?

So, which is it? Should I say to people that they DO need the library to be successful, or that they DON'T need the library to be successful?

What you seem to be saying to me is that I should tell people that they need the library, and why (even, apparently, if I have to make up reasons), even though that's not really true. If I did that, you'd complain about how I'm just a slimy salesman.

Here's your ONE marketing lesson (that will be free):
You don't "tell people" that they "do NEED" or "don't NEED" your product because either way, it's an insult to them... they are the ones that worked to build their businesses, not you (although you don't seem to care though). You SHOULD explain to them how your product will make their "already great business even better." But you don't. You think you can point at a pirate you license with a "help license" and proclaim that "their business is better than yours and they care about their singers because they use our product." Why don't you just hit them with a stick and demand their wallet instead?

Wow... what a switcheroo.... weren't you the one who was just accusing me of running an "acceptable show" without your brand and then called it "below average" because I stopped using it? You sound like the person that sits in a karaoke show, carefully studying every line in a HUGE songbook verifying that one really crappy obscure song isn't there... then complain to everyone else that you were "all ready to sing... but that rotten KJ doesn't have my song!"

Golly, that's first time in a bunch of years that you've said something that was almost completely right. Good job. (I say almost completely right because you sue venues who don't "use the product" directly, they simply "hire the KJ" and really don't know what's going on so you take advantage of that "technicality" like a sniveling bully.)

You're confusing corporate form with substance. I don't expect you to understand the difference--you've got a psychological block that prevents it--but let's not pretend that the form of the entity matters.

Let's not try to bulls**t the readers out there either that PEP and Slep-Tone are really the same "entity" under a different "form" because "the form of the entity" does matter. If it didn't, there would have been no reason to "transfer assets" to hide or shield them from your legal troubles would there? Chartbuster pulled the same trick when they morphed their "form" into Digitrax and vaporized just days before their trial as well.

Slep could have taken on partners simply by selling stock shares and it didn't require any "form changes" at all.... but obviously, it's something you think your average customer could never figure out. And like Chartbuster, your "form change" just killed all your previous (non-transferable) licenses with publishers on your old material and you'll never be able to release that again... but don't worry, your secret is safe with me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:31 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
It is good form to start out horrendously long PUBLIC posts that are really targeted at ONE PERSON, with a short TL:DR summary (Even though all of us know that any post by Chip says essentially the same thing).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:45 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
yes...but he is correct as well...
c. staley wrote:
In 1998, when your client gave the world permission to use "copies while keeping the originals in archive," I followed the rules, kept my originals safe and used copies.

As a matter of fact, I built my systems around "following the rules" and for NINE YEARS, your client did nothing, no complaints, no nothing.

When you decided to make money by suing people for using these copies, I immediately stopped using your product -- again "following the rules."

this is exactly what happened, and for years it was denied that this happened at all.

and here as well
c. staley wrote:
Are you claiming that SmoothEdge69 is a "potential customer?" Because you haven't had a problem verbally bashing on him since the day you decided to "investigate him" (for no cause) and tell him what kind of truck he drives to scare him or prove something. So, who exactly is "the bully" here?

if there was a bully move made, this sits high on the list. this really happened as well.

you guys have seen me go after him lately when he gets very out of line, but there is a lot that gets poo-pood away "it's just crazy old man Staley", and not only is there truth behind a lot of it, but he has posted more black and white evidence proving what he says than anybody in this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

It wasn't a bully move at all. You have to remember that he came on here taking about pirating our product, then bragged that he was anonymous so we wouldn't be able to figure out who he was. It took about five minutes to track him down using his own statements online.

My purpose wasn't to bully him at all. It was to clue him into the fact that he wasn't as anonymous as he thought, and a skilled investigator could track him down easily using publicly available information. Hopefully that was a factor in his decision to avoid piracy, because that's how it was intended.

I have no interest in targeting him, or anyone else who happens to express a contrary opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:

I have no interest in targeting him, or anyone else who happens to express a contrary opinion.

No, but you called my show sub-par because I don't use SC music. It is funny how my customers like my shows BETTER than the shows of hosts who DO use SC. So, to say I run a sub-par show is to be talking out your (@$%&#!)!! I am proof that it is NOT the brands of music that you use, but it's the guy running the show that makes it a success!! That is something that both CHIP AND Wolf have reiterated over and over.

And what have you people done?? You have come up with a sub-par list of songs, for your new "Advance" series, that have already passed their day of popularity!! Most of us have some or all of them. Now who is sub-par???

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
My purpose wasn't to bully him at all. It was to clue him into the fact that he wasn't as anonymous as he thought, and a skilled investigator could track him down easily using publicly available information.
I'll label this as an outright untruth and I'll ask you to prove it.

And I'll even make it easier on you: You know who I am and even where I live, who I'm married to etc...

Use your "publicly available information" and show everyone here how you can find out what vehicle I drive everyday. (which is not the 1976 Ford I've posted a picture of here).

Don't forget to detail to all the readers here how you used "publicly available information" and show them step-by-step how you do this because I don't believe you did this with publicly available anything for Smoothedge69.

It's publicly available right?... you said so yourself. Everyone here should be able to duplicate your steps and get the same answer without purchasing a license, hiring an investigator or have any special access to information other than what can be generally available to every single person... if they can't, then you're simply not telling the truth.

And, I'll give you more than 5 minutes... take 24 hours if you like, no rush.

How much more accommodating can that be?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:28 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
My purpose wasn't to bully him at all. It was to clue him into the fact that he wasn't as anonymous as he thought, and a skilled investigator could track him down easily using publicly available information.

And I'll even make it easier on you: You know who I am and even where I live, who I'm married to etc...

Use your "publicly available information" and show everyone here how you can find out what vehicle I drive everyday. (which is not the 1976 Ford I've posted a picture of here).

Don't forget to detail to all the readers here how you used "publicly available information" and show them step-by-step how you do this because I don't believe you did this with publicly available anything for Smoothedge69.

It's publicly available right?... you said so yourself. Everyone here should be able to duplicate your steps and get the same answer without purchasing a license, hiring an investigator or have any special access to information other than what can be generally available to every single person... if they can't, then you're simply not telling the truth.

Careful Chip he will send his Karaoke Ninja Warriors to stake out your house :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:14 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Nevermind.....

Last edited by c. staley on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:24 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

He lives in Florida, where the open records law is substantially broader than Michigan. Vehicle registration records in Florida are available free to the public. In Michigan, they are only available to commercial users who have applied for access and who pay a fee for each record retrieved. I have no interest in knowing what sort of vehicle you drive on a daily basis, not enough, anyway, to spend time applying for access and paying for records.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:37 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I did it in about 5 minutes. At least the truck he was driving (smoothedge the is), full name, age just with a simple Google search

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:47 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Nevermind..... (again)