KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Interesting Thing Happened Tonight.................... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:24 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
chrisavis wrote:
You can pretty much guarantee that if you are withion a few miles of the I-5 Corridor from Canada to Mexico that you are on SC's radar.

-Chris

Cool, I-5 is nowhere near me. LOL

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:47 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
It may not be, but if you are near any major highway of any kind where there are venue's that offer karaoke, you can expect that SC and now PR will be looking at you.

The I-95 Corridor on the east coast is probably a hot bed for karaoke activity.

-Chris

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
It may not be, but if you are near any major highway of any kind where there are venue's that offer karaoke, you can expect that SC and now PR will be looking at you.

The I-95 Corridor on the east coast is probably a hot bed for karaoke activity.

-Chris

I am off I-75. I'm a west coaster. Much nicer than the east coast.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:49 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
chrisavis wrote:
You can pretty much guarantee that if you are within a few miles of the I-5 Corridor from Canada to Mexico that you are on SC's radar.

And that's pretty sad to think that it's difficult for even a karaoke host to run their business without somebody sniffing up their rear ends for a lawsuit. With so many other brands available, why do you want to be "on anyone's radar?" It's more hassle than it's worth – that's been my contention the entire time.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
You can pretty much guarantee that if you are within a few miles of the I-5 Corridor from Canada to Mexico that you are on SC's radar.

And that's pretty sad to think that it's difficult for even a karaoke host to run their business without somebody sniffing up their rear ends for a lawsuit. With so many other brands available, why do you want to be "on anyone's radar?" It's more hassle than it's worth – that's been my contention the entire time.

My point, exactly. Just not worth the hassle.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:14 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Knowing what is on the radar - friend or foe - is always a good idea.

For Sound Choice to know that I exist causes me no grief what-so-ever. It is no hassle at all for me to know that Sound Choice or their attorneys may or may not be in my venue on any given night. Following the rules causes me no grief either.

I would say it is more of a hassle to avoid being on their radar than it is to just do the audit and get certified up front. At least that is my experience.

-Chris

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:22 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
I would say it is more of a hassle to avoid being on their radar than it is to just do the audit and get certified up front. At least that is my experience.

Your choice. Your money...

Go for it.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:26 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Went for it. Spent less money than you have by far. :)

-Chris

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:58 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Spent less money than you have by far. :)

-Chris

And you make less too... so it evens out...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:19 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

c. staley wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
Spent less money than you have by far. :)

-Chris

And you make less too... so it evens out...

Well that is a matter of time and it is hardly a competition. Things are looking pretty rosey for me right now and I am in no rush. Lots of churn right now anyway and I am interested in seeing how it pans out. I very well could change my mind in a matter of months or even weeks and decide karaoke is not my bag and sell everything off for a pretty healthy profit compared to what I have invested. I may even decide to just keep it small time and sell off what I am not using, again, for a healthy profit.

Lots of eggs, many baskets....

-Chris

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:26 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Well that is a matter of time and it is hardly a competition. Things are looking pretty rosey for me right now and I am in no rush. Lots of churn right now anyway and I am interested in seeing how it pans out. I very well could change my mind in a matter of months or even weeks and decide karaoke is not my bag and sell everything off for a pretty healthy profit compared to what I have invested. I may even decide to just keep it small time and sell off what I am not using, again, for a healthy profit.

Of course it's looking "rosey" right now.... it's nothing more than a hobby to you. There's no requirement/incentive for you to make your operation profitable... ever.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:29 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
c. staley wrote:
Of course it's looking "rosey" right now.... it's nothing more than a hobby to you. There's no requirement/incentive for you to make your operation profitable... ever.

Except that he has a lot of money tied up in it, on which I think he reasonably expects a return.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:32 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
i know i have had the investigators at my venue at least 4 times i can remember since my audit. how many that i was not able to pick out?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:36 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

HarringtonLaw wrote:
c. staley wrote:

Except that he has a lot of money tied up in it, on which I think he reasonably expects a return.

I don't care if he has a billion dollars invested, it's not his main income and he has no (as in "N-O") incentive to ever make his hobby profitable.

I personally would love to see him get multiple systems going..... and then we'll see how long he'll last. That's a whole new ballgame rife with headaches he cannot right now, even fathom.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:48 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I will be happy with my one and only rig. I am not looking to become some Karaoke giant. I just want to make some money.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Just because someone has multiple rigs doesn't mean he or she is more professional. One can be professional or unprofessional regardless of how many rigs one has. So

What a moronic statement.

Chip because you have a day job, I guess you're not a professional host either.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:52 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Why you insist on making assumptions and then stating them as fact in addition to constantly trying to poke people with sharp sticks to shake things things up completely confounds me.

Just because I have not quit my day job and tried to replace my income with karaoke doesn’t automatically make this a hobby nor should it imply that I don’t ever want to be profitable.

Also, just because I made an off the cuff comment about having had "more expensive hobbies in my lifetime" doesn't mean that I consider what I am doing here a hobby either.

I get the distinct impression that you are a little perturbed that I have a day job that allows me the freedom to execute my plans on my schedule. I don’t understand why it bothers you so much that I am supplementing my income with karaoke now with a long term goal of using it as my sole source of income in the future. I believe all of us would like to be able to ease into a new profession on our own terms and I just happen to be in that position. Why do you want to fault me for that?

You have demonstrated over and over that you will happily make assumptions or simply ignore stated information, even when factual, and then make proclamations based upon little or no concrete information. To prove these points…..

You asked me in another thread how long it would take to get my investment back. I spoke in general terms about what I am doing now and what I am working on for the future. Anyone who reads that should realize that some of what I am doing is no small task and requires a certain level of dedication. I am quite serious about what I am trying to accomplish. That response alone demonstrates that this is much more than a hobby and that I fully intend to be profitable some day.

Also contrary to your statements of me not wanting to be profitable, I have stated several times in these very forums that I would someday like to have karaoke as my sole source of income. For that to happen, one MUST be profitable.

Given that you have no clue as to exactly what I get paid for my karaoke shows, what side gigs I have lined up, what side jobs I have performed and have lined up, what my expansion plans are or what has even transpired in just the last couple of days, it is impossible for you to state that I have no desire to ever be profitable. In fact, that is exactly opposite of what I have said I would like to do with karaoke. You aren't even making an assumption since what you are stating is contrary to what I have stated my plans are. You are simply contradicting to contradict.

c. staley wrote:
I personally would love to see him get multiple systems going..... and then we'll see how long he'll last. That's a whole new ballgame rife with headaches he cannot right now, even fathom.

You are implying that I simply can’t cut it. That I am incapable of doing what other people on these forums, other hosting companies in my region, and any number of pirates around the United States seem to be doing just fine.

I sense that you would like to see me fail.

Personally, I would like to buy a truck big enough for seven rigs that I can park on my property (no zoning restrictions to fight in my neighborhood) and then legally put them all into operation just to demonstrate to you that I can run a multi-rig operation efficiently and profitably. But I don’t owe you anything and I am not going to base my business model on proving you wrong.

I will continue to build my business, at my pace, with my goals and my aspirations in mind.
You may or may not be made aware of my progress as I see fit.

-Chris

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
timberlea wrote:
Just because someone has multiple rigs doesn't mean he or she is more professional. One can be professional or unprofessional regardless of how many rigs one has. So

What a moronic statement.

Did I miss something here????? Where did Chip say that Chris was unprofessional???? I saw where Chip said Chris would never be (?) profitable. I also saw where Chip said
timberlea wrote:

but I still did not see one word about how professional or unprofessional that might make Chris.

Again... did I miss something????????

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 118 times
chrisavis wrote:
Why you insist on making assumptions and then stating them as fact in addition to constantly trying to poke people with sharp sticks to shake things things up completely confounds me.

Just because I have not quit my day job and tried to replace my income with karaoke doesn’t automatically make this a hobby nor should it imply that I don’t ever want to be profitable.

Also, just because I made an off the cuff comment about having had "more expensive hobbies in my lifetime" doesn't mean that I consider what I am doing here a hobby either.

I get the distinct impression that you are a little perturbed that I have a day job that allows me the freedom to execute my plans on my schedule. I don’t understand why it bothers you so much that I am supplementing my income with karaoke now with a long term goal of using it as my sole source of income in the future. I believe all of us would like to be able to ease into a new profession on our own terms and I just happen to be in that position. Why do you want to fault me for that?

You have demonstrated over and over that you will happily make assumptions or simply ignore stated information, even when factual, and then make proclamations based upon little or no concrete information. To prove these points…..

You asked me in another thread how long it would take to get my investment back. I spoke in general terms about what I am doing now and what I am working on for the future. Anyone who reads that should realize that some of what I am doing is no small task and requires a certain level of dedication. I am quite serious about what I am trying to accomplish. That response alone demonstrates that this is much more than a hobby and that I fully intend to be profitable some day.

Also contrary to your statements of me not wanting to be profitable, I have stated several times in these very forums that I would someday like to have karaoke as my sole source of income. For that to happen, one MUST be profitable.

Given that you have no clue as to exactly what I get paid for my karaoke shows, what side gigs I have lined up, what side jobs I have performed and have lined up, what my expansion plans are or what has even transpired in just the last couple of days, it is impossible for you to state that I have no desire to ever be profitable. In fact, that is exactly opposite of what I have said I would like to do with karaoke. You aren't even making an assumption since what you are stating is contrary to what I have stated my plans are. You are simply contradicting to contradict.

c. staley wrote:

You are implying that I simply can’t cut it. That I am incapable of doing what other people on these forums, other hosting companies in my region, and any number of pirates around the United States seem to be doing just fine.

I sense that you would like to see me fail.

Personally, I would like to buy a truck big enough for seven rigs that I can park on my property (no zoning restrictions to fight in my neighborhood) and then legally put them all into operation just to demonstrate to you that I can run a multi-rig operation efficiently and profitably. But I don’t owe you anything and I am not going to base my business model on proving you wrong.

I will continue to build my business, at my pace, with my goals and my aspirations in mind.
You may or may not be made aware of my progress as I see fit.

-Chris

Why do you folks insist on reading something sinister into what he's saying...Here...let me translate...

"Since Chris has never run multiple systems or done this as a full-time job that he has to rely on to pay all of his bills, he has no idea what kind of crap you have to deal with when you do. Crap like spending huge amounts of money fixing your equipment when your hosts constantly break things because they don't give a crap about anything that belongs to you and treat your things like they are their personal playground....Crap like carting systems around all day and setting them up and tearing them down so your hosts who have no ambition and no life can make more per gig than you do...Crap like having the city tell you that you can't keep the truck you bought to cart the systems to gigs at your own home because it's slightly too tall...Crap like having your hosts shark your gigs...Crap like trying to figure out at the end of the month how you ended up making so little money when you were working so hard....Crap like getting calls on your one day off that your host can't start up their system, so you have to drive back out to the bar to fix it so the show can go on...and then you have to give the bar a discount that equals the amount you personally would have made on the show after you pay your host, so you basically went to the bar that's an hour away from your home 4 times to make exactly ZERO...Crap like your hosts booking private parties off of your gigs that they run with their own equipment, and not telling you...That kind of crap."

So really -- you think that was a personal comment? It was a reality check. It's easy to sit where you are with a cushy full-time job that pays benefits and provides insurance and tinker around in the Karaoke biz. Up until a couple of years ago, Chip did it full-time for over 15 years. There are a mountain of headaches that come with running a full-time biz with multiple hosts. That's what he was getting at. As you Cheerleaders like to say..."Horns In."

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 118 times
Sorry. Double post.