KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - I Don't Think SC Gets It Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Wall Of Sound wrote:
mrmarog wrote:
BTW my avatare is of me at 60 during a Halloween party at my show. I think I can handle the youngins.

Nice! I saw the Rolling Stones a few years back in 2005 & Mick Jagger took off his shirt & still had a sixpack! He was 62. Gave me a lot of hope!

But since you do the early shows, don't you miss them girl youngins hitting on you? I know I would!

I haven't seen my sixpack since I was in my 30's (but I at least built a shed for my tools) :D

As for the young girls hitting on me, somethings never change! It is a tough life but I guess someone has to do it! :mrgreen:

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:47 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Well I do have a six-pack. It's so important to me that I have a keg protecting it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 81 times
LMAO :beermates:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:25 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Thunder wrote:
I haven't seen my sixpack since I was in my 30's (but I at least built a shed for my tools) :D

Based on the pic you posted under the moniker of "Michael Handy" I'd say if it existed at all, it was gone long before your 30's... :wink:

Thunder wrote:
As for the young girls hitting on me, somethings never change! It is a tough life but I guess someone has to do it! :mrgreen:

Where are my waders?.... Nevermind, it's obvious he can't tell the difference at his age.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 118 times
Thunder wrote:

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. :vomit:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:09 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
birdofsong wrote:
Thunder wrote:

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. :vomit:

Usually when that happens I just turn away and spit or excuse myself to the bathroom.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

LOL And some people take medication for that!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:20 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
Lonman wrote:
I have 2 people that will sing at least something of the 'current' discs, but usually most of those sit for a while. Most of the younger crowds want to dance to the current stuff, singing the current stuff - not so much.

:D That is what is needed the skill to read the audience and play to their needs, and not to go in with a rigid battle plan. Even when you are on battlefield, you have to adapt your tactics as the battle changes, from the enemy reacting to what ever you are doing. It must be kept in a very fluid lose type of situation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:42 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrmarog wrote:
Thunder, not so true "dweeb". That would be true if you were only open for business from 10 to 2 AM. That would get you back to your home at 3:30 or 4:00 AM. Even for a very young almost 60 (like yourself) those hours can be draining. BTW my avatare is of me at 60 during a Halloween party at my show. I think I can handle the youngins.

I'm talking about reasonable hours of 7-10~PM. That gets me back home at no later than midnight. There are plenty of Boomers out and about, buying FOOD AND DRINKS to keep a karaoke show going for years to come. Drinking is not the only way to fill a cash register.

:D Not to mention that the boomers have the cash, where that 25 year old crowd usually doesn't have two dollars to rub together. It is not unusual to have $20.00 tips in my jar, and on a good night I take home over $100.00 all in cash. Since Thunder is interested in only young girls, I don't think he would care for the more mature women. He should really consider them, unlike the young ones he would have to support , he could always be some rich woman's little poodle dog and not have to karaoke anymore. On a more serious note, however, there is another group mrmarog, this group is sort of in the middle, of the boomers and the young turks. These are professional people and tradesmen in their 30's to mid 40's, the men want to go to a safe place that they can take their wife or girlfriend and not have to fight their way out, or worry about some young man with a sixpac on the inside and outside trying to lure his woman away. Also this plays for the ladies, that don't want some jailbait little honey trying to shake her backside, in her man's face. I sort of envy you that you can pack up at 10:00 P.M.,sometimes I can do this but if the second group comes in sometimes I'm at a place until 2:00. It is a lucky thing that I'm retired and can sleep in the next day, though due to training and programming I am an early riser. In fact right now I have to do my 3 miles of road work, just to keep me moving. Talk to you later.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:19 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
Lonman wrote:
I have 2 people that will sing at least something of the 'current' discs, but usually most of those sit for a while. Most of the younger crowds want to dance to the current stuff, singing the current stuff - not so much.

:D That is what is needed the skill to read the audience and play to their needs, and not to go in with a rigid battle plan. Even when you are on battlefield, you have to adapt your tactics as the battle changes, from the enemy reacting to what ever you are doing. It must be kept in a very fluid lose type of situation.

In a place that just does karaoke nights here & there, that may be true. In our place we are a karaoke club 7 nights a week. If we do ANY dancing (which is rare) it will be of a line dance type only, and no more than 2 songs max. People do come in to sing because it is a rigid battle plan and the people that are with the singers are there to support the singers - hell we even get people that come in just to watch the singers as we 'tend' to get some really good singers, not just drunken screamers. When that gets strayed from, is when you no longer get singers and need to do other things.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:28 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lonman wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Lonman wrote:

In a place that just does karaoke nights here & there, that may be true. In our place we are a karaoke club 7 nights a week. If we do ANY dancing (which is rare) it will be of a line dance type only, and no more than 2 songs max. People do come in to sing because it is a rigid battle plan and the people that are with the singers are there to support the singers - hell we even get people that come in just to watch the singers as we 'tend' to get some really good singers, not just drunken screamers. When that gets strayed from, is when you no longer get singers and need to do other things.

:D Of course you are right, each place must be taken on a case by case basis. Some of places you have described would not appeal to me with a young crowd, drunk and screaming. I've recently seen some shows using the music dvd's with the picture and the music, I guess that would appeal to some customers. You are right the serious singers don't want any dancing or anything else just straight karaoke.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Brian,

You are down right funny!

You really don't have any concept of what a good karaoke show is do you?

And you don't have any concept of what people in their 20's and 30's actually spend on their night out.

Well let me explain for you some of the concept;

Those kids in their 20's perhaps aren't making $50,000 to $100,000 a year, but they aren't paying a mortgage on a $400,000 house , 2 car payments at $1,200 a month, and insurance for health, home, auto at $5,000 a year, they aren't helping to pay the tuition for 2 1/2 kids at $80,000 to $120,000 a year, and they don't have a bunch of maxed out credit cards in their wallet either. So the "disposable income" (party money) of the unmarried 20 to 30 something is a much higher percentage of thier income (and they spend it at the places that make them feel welcome).

All those "young girls" at a show means that young guys are coming out trying to impress them, this means money spent buying them dinner and drinks etc., I will put any of my college bar shows up against any of your "moose lodge gigs" any day of the week for total nightly sales.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thunder wrote:
I will put any of my college bar shows up against any of your "moose lodge gigs" any day of the week for total nightly sales.

The Moose In The Room?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:04 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Wall Of Sound wrote:
Thunder wrote:
I will put any of my college bar shows up against any of your "moose lodge gigs" any day of the week for total nightly sales.

The Moose In The Room?

:D You sure are animal lover, and you tend toward the big ones don't you. I see that you now have antlers to hold on to, what's the matter you get tired of the elephant's trunk. If these kids are doing so well why did so many of them move back in with mom and dad? Most of the baby boomers I know were a little bit more careful with their money and had paid off most of the items you have listed. If a girl is only impressed with money, I don't think her parents brought her up the right way, my opinion of course. Then again I know how deeply morale you are when it suits your purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Thunder wrote:
Brian,

You are down right funny!

You really don't have any concept of what a good karaoke show is do you?

And you don't have any concept of what people in their 20's and 30's actually spend on their night out.

Well let me explain for you some of the concept;

Those kids in their 20's perhaps aren't making $50,000 to $100,000 a year, but they aren't paying a mortgage on a $400,000 house , 2 car payments at $1,200 a month, and insurance for health, home, auto at $5,000 a year, they aren't helping to pay the tuition for 2 1/2 kids at $80,000 to $120,000 a year, and they don't have a bunch of maxed out credit cards in their wallet either. So the "disposable income" (party money) of the unmarried 20 to 30 something is a much higher percentage of thier income (and they spend it at the places that make them feel welcome).

All those "young girls" at a show means that young guys are coming out trying to impress them, this means money spent buying them dinner and drinks etc., I will put any of my college bar shows up against any of your "moose lodge gigs" any day of the week for total nightly sales.

Thunder, very well said. One thing I have noticed at my shows is that older folks that come in are much more likely to buy food (if available) and the younger ones are pretty much there to just drink. They usually drink far more than the older folks - and I can twist their arms on the mike to buy shots. And, older folks are generally more likely to just sit there and nurse a soda or water.

But, I don't discriminate. I do the best job I can. I read my crowd and that tells me what kind of music to play and how often (if at all) to have a dance break. As I mentioned, it really is the venue that decides the target market - not me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:09 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
:D Some of places you have described would not appeal to me with a young crowd, drunk and screaming.

Not all the young crowds are just drunken screamers. Like I said, our avg age group is 20's-30's & the majority of them are pretty decent people that can actually sing (and spend).

Quote:
I've recently seen some shows using the music dvd's with the picture and the music, I guess that would appeal to some customers.
I haven't seen many karaoke discs with the original videos (except of course Original Footage karaoke - which had a limited selection). Pioneer was the original format that contained videos in the background on laserdisc, then moved to VCD & DVD. Many other brands offer(ed) these formats as well - sometimes they are/were the only versions available. I still run the Pioneer discs that have the videos - most of the music on these were the best/closest to original by far over most other brands (even SC).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

TroyVnd27 wrote:
older folks that come in are much more likely to buy food (if available) and the younger ones are pretty much there to just drink

Just to note, anyone who has run a bar/restaurant knows that mark-up percentage on alcohol is higher than food costs. The beverage is where the profit mostly lies, unless of course if you sell moose burgers then the food mark-up is higher.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:18 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Moose burgers, droooooolll.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
If these kids are doing so well why did so many of them move back in with mom and dad? Most of the baby boomers I know were a little bit more careful with their money and had paid off most of the items you have listed. If a girl is only impressed with money, I don't think her parents brought her up the right way, my opinion of course. Then again I know how deeply morale you are when it suits your purpose.

Must be where you live, most of "these kids" that I see may be living in comunal situations but it isn't with mom and dad (multiple roommates in the same house (gives them more disposable income).

As for the Baby Boomers who have been more careful with their money.......... you don't get out much do you! Try turning on the TV reading a newspaper talking to your neighbors etc. etc. etc.! Where do you think all of these mortgage defaults are coming from, kids in their 20's? I am currently renting houses to two of those baby boomers who were careful with their money. Personally I just don't see it.

Unless of course you live in the exception rather than the rule.

Those "Baby Boomers" who are very successful and have large cash reserves are not the ones who are "taking in the local karaoke show"!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

timberlea wrote:
Moose burgers, droooooolll.

LOL Moose, Elk and Deer properly prepared is great eating!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next