KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Contacting soundchoice Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:00 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
cueball wrote:
Bazza wrote:
How many GEM torrents have there been in the last 4.5 years? ZERO.
How many GEM knockoffs have been on eBay on the last 4.5 years? ZERO.
How many hard drive sellers have GEM songs on their drives? ZERO.
And how many GEM Songs are NEW-NEVER-BEFORE-RELEASED-SONG-TRACKS - ZERO! So, what's your point Bazza? All the SC material that exists is ALREADY OUT THERE on Torrents sites and in Hard Drive sales. So, in other words, What's in the GEM series is already out there in a previous life. What point are you trying to make?

The point is no one has stolen the actual tracks which are BETTER quality and 100% perfect graphics which 99.9% of the torrents are not.

If you are going to go to the trouble of stealing something, you might as well get the best version you can get. It wouldn't be that hard to put the actual tracks on mirc or a torrent, but because they are watermarked and traceable, no one in their right mind would. And no one has.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:05 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
jclaydon wrote:
mckyj57 wrote:
jclaydon wrote:
A copy protection scheme does not have to be unbreakable, that is absolutely impossible. All it has to do, is make it so that it is easier to pay for material than it is to steal it.

That was true in the days of distributed "cracks" as the way to get at pirated medis. Nowadays, the crack is done for you; you never "crack" the media, you download copies from various places.

Repeat after me -- there are no hard-media copy protection schemes in use at this time. Nor are there likely to be any.

I never said anything about hard media, that was Joe. I am talking more about the current protection schemes that require you to connect to the website in order to renew or validate your license. Exactly like digitrax and the karaoke cloud does. You have to connect every single month in order to keep using the tracks.

That's streaming, not media, and it is completely different.

Quote:
In that senario, it is a hell of a lot easier to just keep paying than to crack the files, or to try to find a source for them.

The way you pirate streams is by grabbing the stream. It isn't impossible at all. If it is going to output audio and video, at some point you can hijack it.

It isn't done now because there is no streaming-only content and hard media is what is pirated. But if there were no hard media to hijack, you can bet that there would be people hijacking the streams and the graphics and producing MP4 and AVI karaoke files.

None of those things have anything to do with copy protection.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:41 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
jclaydon wrote:
cueball wrote:
Bazza wrote:
And how many GEM Songs are NEW-NEVER-BEFORE-RELEASED-SONG-TRACKS - ZERO! So, what's your point Bazza? All the SC material that exists is ALREADY OUT THERE on Torrents sites and in Hard Drive sales. So, in other words, What's in the GEM series is already out there in a previous life. What point are you trying to make?

The point is no one has stolen the actual tracks which are BETTER quality and 100% perfect graphics which 99.9% of the torrents are not.

If you are going to go to the trouble of stealing something, you might as well get the best version you can get. It wouldn't be that hard to put the actual tracks on mirc or a torrent, but because they are watermarked and traceable, no one in their right mind would. And no one has.

Exactly. Thank You.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
Bazza wrote:
jclaydon wrote:
cueball wrote:
Bazza wrote:

Exactly. Thank You.

Apparently there also have not been any stolen drives or disk sets (at least by someone who knew what they stole).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:07 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
The GEM really is the best method of making it easily identifiable as to the real owner and if it's stolen. ally that to new music downloads and it would help in the future. I'm sure there is a way to add that watermark with a name to the cdg file at the time of download.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:58 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
yes, you can steal anything you want from SC and will not be sued if you pay $200 a month.
the publishers will get none of that money and you will still be breaking the law, but SC...or PEP will do the right thing and keep quiet not telling the publishers about you....exactly what they wanted you NOT TO DO BEFORE.

So why wasn't there any hate for Stellar and their CAP program which is EXACTLY what you describe?(except it was a one time fee instead of monthly)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:04 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

because there were no other expectations.
SC has touted that wrong is wrong and tried to keep the integrity of what they were attempting to do in the forefront of it while calling on our morals to do the right thing and report theft.
Stellar never made such expectations. it is not WHAT SC is doing that i have the issue with. if you know of piracy, the right thing to do was report it, unless you are SC then it is not your problem to report piracy. it's the double standard again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
because there were no other expectations.
SC has touted that wrong is wrong and tried to keep the integrity of what they were attempting to do in the forefront of it while calling on our morals to do the right thing and report theft.
Stellar never made such expectations. it is not WHAT SC is doing that i have the issue with. if you know of piracy, the right thing to do was report it, unless you are SC then it is not your problem to report piracy. it's the double standard again.

Does it further chap your hide that they chose the name of your fair city for the "new" company name???

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:01 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 95 times
doowhatchulike wrote:
Does it further chap your hide that they chose the name of your fair city for the "new" company name???

Given the circumstances, I'm going to make a wild-assed guess that it might have been named after the mythical bird that rises from the ashes, not after the city. I could be wrong.

Also, St. Paul's Cathedral isn't named after St. Paul, Minnesota.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:40 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

doowhatchulike wrote:

nah, i see where they were going with it and i would probably do the same.
if it works, a phoenix would be a great analogy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

CafeBar wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:

Given the circumstances, I'm going to make a wild-assed guess that it might have been named after the mythical bird that rises from the ashes, not after the city. I could be wrong.

Please note post #19 on this page, to see that way before now, I noted this very thing:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=31328

Also, there is a very good chance that the CITY Phoenix was named after the mythical bird, which would, by association, make my statement (though always meant to be tongue-in-cheek) valid...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:37 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
HarringtonLaw wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:
I want to apologize if my interest in this came across as being "frustrated",

No, actually, it came across more as you being a dick about it.

Did I read this right?

An officer of the court called someone a DICK in an open forum?
And yet he has not been chastised by Admin or others?

I have seen people banned for less. :-(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:23 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 95 times
doowhatchulike wrote:
CafeBar wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:

Please note post #19 on this page, to see that way before now, I noted this very thing:

Thanks for clearing that up. I did notice on that other thread you already had two more posts pointing out to other people that you thought of it first.

Guys, can we all chip in and buy this guy a special ribbon or something?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:10 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
mrmarog wrote:
Since we are just "speculating".......How about a CAP, like Stellar tried? It could be to the benefit of everyone including the "rights holders". Actually especially the rights holders, if it was set up with that in mind.

It seems as though I might have been the closest of the speculators... minus the new ownership twist.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:52 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
jclaydon wrote:
cueball wrote:
Bazza wrote:

The SC catalogue was offered on line legitimately (SC original tracks) 2 or 3 times for short periods ( Stingray may still be offering them in Canada, not sure..).

What makes you so sure THOSE tracks have not been pirated. Personally, I am certain that they have. What would have stopped that from happening?

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:45 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

JoeChartreuse wrote:
jclaydon wrote:
cueball wrote:
Bazza wrote:

The SC catalogue was offered on line legitimately (SC original tracks) 2 or 3 times for short periods ( Stingray may still be offering them in Canada, not sure..).

What makes you so sure THOSE tracks have not been pirated. Personally, I am certain that they have. What would have stopped that from happening?

They problably have been.. The difference, is that to the best of my knowledge no one has made them available for public consumption.

How can i be so sure? Because I have downloaded from these torrents and mirc before. I used to do it all the time before i was a host.

If i wanted to, i know EXACTLY where to go, and how to get the songs i want.

And you know what the weird thing is, I went back about a year ago to see if things have changed much. They haven't.. people are still posting NEW stuff at 128k because they don't know any better. The only high quality files that are available to torrent that i know of are from someone who actually bought a track from karaokeversion and then just uploaded it

-James

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
jclaydon wrote:
JoeChartreuse wrote:
jclaydon wrote:
cueball wrote:
Bazza wrote:

They problably have been.. The difference, is that to the best of my knowledge ( My Emboldens - J.C.) no one has made them available for public consumption.

How can i be so sure? Because I have downloaded from these torrents and mirc before. I used to do it all the time before i was a host.

-James

Anyone who hacked the sites I mentioned would have no reason to put them on the sites that you mentioned. That doesn't mean the HD sellers don't offer them, or that other sites don't have them.

We will have to agree to disagree.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
It wouldn't be too difficult to take the 320k GEM rips and replace the graphics with red label graphics. Will save a lot of time in creating the base 320k, artifact free torrents that will inevitably show up because of the HELP program.

I know I joked about it before, but there might be an opportunity to make some money on the side selling access to "a collection of Sound Choice music that meets the strict qualifications of the PEP HELP program".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:55 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

CafeBar wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:
CafeBar wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. I did notice on that other thread you already had two more posts pointing out to other people that you thought of it first.

Guys, can we all chip in and buy this guy a special ribbon or something?

As many can agree, especially those in a legal profession, words (and the occasional emoticon) are all that can be used in a forum such as this to portray one's thoughts on a subject. Therefore, the choosing of those words is tantamount to this experience. That being said:

One cannot claim to make a "wild assed guess" and "notice on that other thread" a prior posting, both at the same time. If it was noticed to have already been suggested, restating it has no logical purpose. Situations like this could cause one to conclude that minimal reading and comprehension skills were not utilized initially.

All obvious sarcasm aside, you are welcome for me clearing that up, and everyone chipping in and buying me anything would certainly be welcomed and appreciated...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:32 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

chrisavis wrote:
It wouldn't be too difficult to take the 320k GEM rips and replace the graphics with red label graphics. Will save a lot of time in creating the base 320k, artifact free torrents that will inevitably show up because of the HELP program.

I know I joked about it before, but there might be an opportunity to make some money on the side selling access to "a collection of Sound Choice music that meets the strict qualifications of the PEP HELP program".

Even if i had a set of GEM discs to do this with, there is no way in hell i would risk it. All of the music from the GEM series is watermarked and traceable, so if those files are ever analysed with the proper software, that person would know EXACTLY where the files came from

-James

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next