KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - GETTING TIRED!!! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: GETTING TIRED!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:24 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
JoeChartreuse wrote:
This is why disc piracy was so miniscule when compared to download piracy.
I think this is a fallacy. I knew SEVERAL kj's that had cd copiers that were capable of cdg transfer - I knew of one actual karaoke STORE that bought all the discs, copied them, re-shrank wrap & sold for new while they ran multiple shows (they had 10 systems running 5 nights each). The kj's would not only copy people discs that brought them to the shows and add them to their own library, they'd swap libraries with other kj's completely. I was made the offer several times in the 90's and a little into the 2000's. Always denied it simply because - "WHY the hell would I want any of the competition to have the same songs I offered and paid for". Add to the fact what they DID have to offer in return was crap IMO, trading All Hits and Backstage for Sound Choice & DK didn't seem like a worthwhile trade lol. Computers made it more rampant but the disc piracy was very active as well.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:05 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
The bottom line to all this is that the Genie is out of the bottle. Piracy is now commonplace and socially acceptable. In the lunch room at my day-job someone was bragging about watching "The Interview" days after release. Someone asked "Did you watch it on demand?" and he boldly said "No, I got it from a torrent". Nobody cared or even flinched. They were more interested in how he liked the movie. :lol:

Piracy isn't going away and going back to discs or some super hardened hardware solution just isn't cost effective (or realistic!). So what do you do as a manufacture? You either eliminate it all together by streaming (as much as that pains us all) or do as iTunes did and make it cheap and convenient enough that piracy just isn't worth the effort. Like I said before. People arent going to spend a lot of time & effort to find and illegally download that new Beyonce song for $0.99, as it just isn't worth the effort. But if was only available on a disc for $19.99 you can bet it would be pirated all over the place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:19 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Just weeks after I received my Sound Choice certification (through audit) a competing KJ called me and asked if he could borrow my discs. he wanted them for two reasons (and he told me flat out) - 1) so he could use them for a Sound Choice audit, and 2) he wanted to burn copies of the discs.

I never understood why he wanted to burn copies of the 1400 disc I had at the time. But it is just evidence that even though more rare, people are still willing to burn discs. I know for a fact this same karaoke company runs multiple digital shows and to the best of my knowledge they run zero disc based shows.

I also know that no matter what this company does, they continue to lose shows and i keep getting the call to back fill them.

Karma......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:32 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
I am getting tired of this lawsuit bs!!! Every time I look for a song, that I know used to be on karaoke, now it's gone!! I wish Sony would DIE!! They are FORCING people to go to file sharing sites to find music. I haven't yet, but I don't have many other ideas for buying songs. Getting tired of this crap!! They are TRYING to kill Karaoke!!

Buy what you can ON DISC while you can the "real dark ages" is still coming....we are just at the start......Stupid Pirates have caused all of this, the publishers will not stand for theft( knowing that for every track they are paid for there are 100's or thousands stolen) and have NO CONCERN about killing our industry and neither do the Pirates.

If everyone remembers I warned everyone that this was coming almost 2 years ago...along with the Tricerisoft lawsuits.

Listen to my advise or don't your own choice.

Lee McGuffey

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

This about sums up piracy and the efforts to stop it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:17 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
kjathena wrote:
Buy what you can ON DISC while you can the "real dark ages" is still coming....we are just at the start......Stupid Pirates have caused all of this, the publishers will not stand for theft( knowing that for every track they are paid for there are 100's or thousands stolen) and have NO CONCERN about killing our industry and neither do the Pirates.

If everyone remembers I warned everyone that this was coming almost 2 years ago...along with the Tricerisoft lawsuits.

Listen to my advise or don't your own choice.

So at what point when will you finally admit the sky isn't falling? four years, ten years? LOL

Stupid Pirates have been around as long as people have been making music for money. The publishers stand for theft in every walk of the music industry. No one is going to "kill" the karaoke music industry. It may morph into a different format but the sky is not going to fall. Where there is money to be made there will be a will and a way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:44 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

MrBoo, you are wrong...the publishers CAN and WILL put an end to the industry if piracy can not be limited. This entire thread started because the OP is unable to get access to songs.....the sky IS FALLING and it will get worse before it gets better.

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:52 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Of course some songs are not accessible. Many of those same original songs are not there for streaming either. So is the sky falling on streaming as well?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:52 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

kjathena wrote:
the sky IS FALLING and it will get worse before it gets better.

Not for everyone. I received this email yesterday:

Karaoke Version wrote:
Hi Bazza
As we're stepping into 2015, we wanted to thank you for being with us year after year.

Last year was very successful, for we added over 2,500 songs on Karaoke Version, which now tops 42,500 studio-quality instrumentals. Thanks to your suggestions, we're projected to reach 45,000 tracks this year!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:57 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

The reason those songs are not there is because the artists\publishers do not think they are being compensated properly for them in the legit streaming and karaoke segments. Not because of Stupid Pirates. IF this group felt they were being compensated properly, or were forced to go along with established compensation, their content would be available.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:07 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Bazza, I happen to like KV as well and from all the research I have done legalities of the tracks they produce are not in question....every track from them I have checked with the publishers has been licensed....AND I hope that remains true. As KJ's we used to have many quality Manus to choose from.....now those choices are gone, what if you want a track that KV does not see as profitable ? or what if the publishers decide to refuse licensing for ?

As far as streaming goes....I have explained WHY streaming is not for me...I have no desire to have songs disappear overnight and no desire to pay forever for my songs. The publishers do NOT feel they are being compensated enough for ANY digital tracks.....wait for it....BECAUSE they know that every single track SOLD is shared and torrented thousands of times.

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:17 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Every delivery method is pirated except for, WAIT FOR IT, cloud based streaming. And by streaming, I am talking about original content, not reproduced karaoke content. Almost all of the same content pulled from downloads is also pulled from original content streaming.

Discs, historically, are as bad or worse for pirated material than newly created downloads. There is no pirated line there. The line is based on legit compensation. Period.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:21 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

That opinion is NOT shared by the Publishers I have communicated with....maybe you should opens some lines of communication with them and get the details right from them.

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:32 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
kjathena wrote:
what if you want a track that KV does not see as profitable ? or what if the publishers decide to refuse licensing for ?
OK, c'mon, that is a silly question. This has been a factor in karaoke since the beginning. I have song requests going back to 1996 in a database that I still use today for song requests - there are easily 800+ songs that people have wanted to sing going all the way back that have never been made nor probably never will be made. But I do keep all the song requests because on occasion something will pop out that has been requested and I will pick it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:18 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Lonman, I agree this has been an issue from the start....but it was LESS of an issue when there were 20+ manufactures making product than now when there are VERY few. I also keep in mind with ANY downloads that just like DT was sued and had to remove over a 3rd of the library and now faces issues from Publishers other than the one suing them regarding licensing new tracks....I would hate to see it but what if KV was hit by the publishers too ? It is well known that I prefer hard media and the reasons behind that preference.

Trying to say lack of track ability is not an issue that is getting worse ( "the sky is not falling") makes me think of the poor frog that wont jump out of a pot of water if the temp is raised slowly......and boils to death.

I did not start this thread and haven't even been here in many months.....On all of the FB groups I am on the KJ's are also complaining of disappearing tracks and lack of quality new tracks.....this will continue and everyone needs to examine why and what they can do to help prevent the death of our industry.

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:26 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Pick a song, any non karaoke sing and I will find you more torrents than for any karaoke song.
if piracy is the reason publishers are not allowing music out on karaoke, then they will just close up shop altogether and not put out any music in the non karaoke world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:08 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

We ARE talking about karaoke on a KARAOKE forum. The publishers have no desire to create karaoke tracks themselves....not enough money in it for them. The Publishers control the licensing for new songs and how much they charge to allow those songs to be licensed PERIOD.

Due to piracy the Publishers are VERY demanding and couldnt care less about this small subset of "music consumers" called " KJ's" because they see the greatest majority as thieves. There are also a GROWING number of artists that feel the same way...compare the "no fly list" of 2 years ago to this years list...I think you will be SHOCKED.

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:23 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
EMI has pulled their library not because of KJ piracy, but because of SC piracy. WE are not being sued by them for taking without paying, SC is being sued for making without paying properly for.
Sony is not suing US for taking without paying, Sony is suing Tricerasoft for selling songs that the MAUFACTURERS made without paying properly for.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:33 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
kjathena wrote:
Lonman, I agree this has been an issue from the start....but it was LESS of an issue when there were 20+ manufactures making product than now when there are VERY few.

This is utterly ridiculous. It ignores the massive technological changes that have occurred. And it ignores the fact that 17 of the 20 manus paid no license fees.

Suggest we go back to the original topic, which the no-fly list.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:53 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mckyj57 wrote:
It ignores the massive technological changes that have occurred.

Business as usual around here. :lol:

Last edited by Bazza on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next