KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Downloading songs on the fly Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:18 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I can understand the points that both of you are making, but I am unfortunatly no good at putting quotes on forums, so I guess I will just have to copy paste

@Virgin your bolded quote
[n34] although every commercial use of copyrighted material is presumptively an unfair exploitation of the monopoly privilege that belongs to the owner of the copyright, noncommercial uses are a different matter.

I bolded the most important part of that statement. Presumptively in a judicial context is not a statement of fact or policy, It is saying that the justices would be leaning in that direction unless proven otherwise. Such as a person in a criminal trial is presumptively innocent, until proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. The fact of the matter is that there is no case law that covers this scenario, so it could go either way. with that said

@singyo
Realistically I don't see this issue coming up before the high court any time soon, and a lower court would most likely use the rulings mentioned here from the high court to rule in favor of the companies over KJs. It is doubtful that the case would go any farther than the court of appeals. Going through the audit process may not be a legal requirement, but having an agreement with the company to not get sued is definitely not a bad thing, save you a ton in legal fees, even if you did somehow win.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:20 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 10 times
hhb119fist @ Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:18 am wrote:
I can understand the points that both of you are making, but I am unfortunatly no good at putting quotes on forums, so I guess I will just have to copy paste

[n34] although every commercial use of copyrighted material is presumptively an unfair exploitation of the monopoly privilege that belongs to the owner of the copyright, noncommercial uses are a different matter.

I bolded the most important part of that statement. Presumptively in a judicial context is not a statement of fact or policy, It is saying that the justices would be leaning in that direction unless proven otherwise. Such as a person in a criminal trial is presumptively innocent, until proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. The fact of the matter is that there is no case law that covers this scenario, so it could go either way. with that said

@singyo
Realistically I don't see this issue coming up before the high court any time soon, and a lower court would most likely use the rulings mentioned here from the high court to rule in favor of the companies over KJs. It is doubtful that the case would go any farther than the court of appeals. Going through the audit process may not be a legal requirement, but having an agreement with the company to not get sued is definitely not a bad thing, save you a ton in legal fees, even if you did somehow win.

Thanks! I was just tired of reading here and in other forums how a 1-1 media shift is DEFINITELY illegal and Commercial use can NEVER be fair use. I merely wanted to point out how IMHO it COULD go either way. If you notice, my arguments all pre-supposed a true 1-1 shift.

I volunteered for the SC audit for the TB area in late January that was cancelled, I am waiting to hear about re-scheduling. I have also registered on Chartbuster's site for an audit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hhb119fist @ Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:18 am wrote:

@singyo

Good point and I will answer it. Just as in a criminal trial there is a presumption of innocence which the prosecution has to prove otherwise. This statement in the opinion [n34] although every commercial use of copyrighted material is presumptively an unfair exploitation of the monopoly privilege that belongs to the owner of the copyright, noncommercial uses are a different matter. is saying that there is a presumption of a violation that the charged party would have to prove to be false.

Presume: legal; to accept that something is true unless someone proves that it is not true.

There is one other thing that you missed in that same opinion statement, If the intended use is for commercial gain, that likelihood may be presumed.. The argument here will ultimately be the fact that the courts used the term "MAY" but knowing that the legal definition of MAY (Whenever a statute directs the doing of a thing for the sake of justice or the public good, the word may is the same as shall. For example, the 23 H. VI. says, the sheriff may take bail, that is construed he shall, for he is compellable to do so. Carth. 293 Salk. 609; Skin. 370) And in the judge's own words he has laid this out very well in that paragraph that when there is a violation that is commercial in nature that the courts must, may, shall, tick that point of 107 off as a violation. Now that doesn't mean that they stop at that point and don't bother to consider the other 3 points of exception in 107 which is the amount of the work copied what the purpose of the work copied is
and how it is actually used. Again it is going to be impossible for a KJ using a copy of a complete work for commercial gain to be able to show a fair use exemption be it for copyright or trademark violation.

As too the point of precedent or case law, that is actually what we are quoting from here. I agree that it doesn't say karaoke but we are debating copyright law these cases are in fact case law and would be used in the arguments in any case brought to the courts concerning the commercial use of copied karaoke and copyright fair use. Which (in my opinion) would make for a great argument for pushing a rope up hill.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:40 pm 

BANG ZOOM>>>

letitrip @ Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:49 am wrote:
OK let's be clear here, it is not the law or ASCAP or BMI that are preventing those tracks from being licensed for commercial use, it's Sound Choice. The fact of the matter is Sound Choice has the ability to license their material however they choose. Regardless of how you get the music, whether it's on CD or in an MP3, ASCAP and BMI are going to make sure that the artists get their royalties. Look at a regular album track for instance, you can buy it as an MP3 from Amazon or buy it on a disc, either way you now own a license of that track. However, if you play it in a public setting, the artists get compensated for that "Public Performance" through ASCAP, BMI or whatever group they work with.

Sound Choice's dilemma is this, they don't get compensated by ASCAP or BMI for the music. They are not the original artists and therefore do not get the royalties. So THEY WANT to get paid for "Public Performance" as well. However, the only thing they have a right to claim royalties for are the sweeping lyrics as that is the only part that is technically their original work (even though the words themselves are not). Unfortunately for them ASCAP/BMI are not interested in collecting royalties for artistic works beyond music and therefore will not collect for Sound Choice or the rest of the Manus. There are no similar groups that are willing to do this for them at this point.

So Sound Choice's decision has been to force KJ's to buy discs, with mostly useless songs that will never get sung because their profit margin is much better that way. This is why they've fought so hard against format shift as well because they make more money if you're forced to buy another copy of a CD if it gets damaged.

Now for those of you that are going to say well that's wrong because Sound Choice says this or that, listen to or read what they have to say very carefully. They speak in misleading ways but if you pay attention to the letter of what they say you'll see it all fits the exact situation above. They try to deflect blame over and over again toward the artists, ASCAP, whomever but the fact of the matter is if that the only difference between a downloaded track being licensed for private use and for "commercial" use is a decision made by Sound Choice based on profitability.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:00 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
singyoassoff.....hope to have info on audits in our area soon....

to everyone........ personally I do not find it to be worth the risk to use downloads of any sort...per my IP attny....guess everyone will have to decide if the risk is worth it for themselves.....until the law is clarified just ask yourself if it is worth it to you ? do you really want to spend the time and $$$ it will cost to defend yourself when you are caught ? The manus have made it clear that they intend to bring suit....it is no longer a maybe but a when.

My IP attny is a bargin at $250 per hour......Singyoassoff with your background you could most likley give us an guestimate of how many hours would be needed for a lawsuit at each step. That would be very useful

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:39 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

@Virgin Karaoke

I can understand the point you are making. The issue at hand is format shifting. If I purchase a CD-G, which the company allows for commercial use, and I shift that to a digital format, while still owning and maintaining possesion of said CD-G, and I use that for commercial use as well, the courts have NOT ruled on if that is allowed. Now, if say SoundChoice, decided to sue me for Copyright, or Trademark Violation, because I did not secure permission from them to shift formats before I did so, then I would stand a good chance of winning the case (provided I can prove to the court that I had owned and maintained a 1:1 ratio) Now, I would say there is an extremely high probability that once I did show that I owned origional CD-G's then SoundChoice would drop the suit.

and as far as the point made about how it doesn't protect you from being sued by the original artist...of course not. No company can give you a guarentee that another company will not sue you for ANYTHING. They can only make binding agreements for themselves

But theoretical arguments aside, I will definitely be going through the audits, just to not have to deal with any of it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hhb119fist @ Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:39 pm wrote:
@Virgin Karaoke

I can understand the point you are making. The issue at hand is format shifting. If I purchase a CD-G, which the company allows for commercial use, and I shift that to a digital format, while still owning and maintaining possesion of said CD-G, and I use that for commercial use as well, the courts have NOT ruled on if that is allowed. Now, if say SoundChoice, decided to sue me for Copyright, or Trademark Violation, because I did not secure permission from them to shift formats before I did so, then I would stand a good chance of winning the case (provided I can prove to the court that I had owned and maintained a 1:1 ratio) Now, I would say there is an extremely high probability that once I did show that I owned origional CD-G's then SoundChoice would drop the suit.

And that is exactly what would happen as soon as you did the Audit you would be dropped, SC has made that statement many times!

and as far as the point made about how it doesn't protect you from being sued by the original artist...of course not. No company can give you a guarentee that another company will not sue you for ANYTHING. They can only make binding agreements for themselves

Someone who actual reasons things out!

But theoretical arguments aside, I will definitely be going through the audits, just to not have to deal with any of it.

That is the way I saw it and is smartest way to go about it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Funnybone @ Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:40 pm wrote:
BANG ZOOM>>>

letitrip @ Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:49 am wrote:
OK let's be clear here, it is not the law or ASCAP or BMI that are preventing those tracks from being licensed for commercial use, it's Sound Choice. The fact of the matter is Sound Choice has the ability to license their material however they choose. Regardless of how you get the music, whether it's on CD or in an MP3, ASCAP and BMI are going to make sure that the artists get their royalties. Look at a regular album track for instance, you can buy it as an MP3 from Amazon or buy it on a disc, either way you now own a license of that track. However, if you play it in a public setting, the artists get compensated for that "Public Performance" through ASCAP, BMI or whatever group they work with.

Sound Choice's dilemma is this, they don't get compensated by ASCAP or BMI for the music. They are not the original artists and therefore do not get the royalties. So THEY WANT to get paid for "Public Performance" as well. However, the only thing they have a right to claim royalties for are the sweeping lyrics as that is the only part that is technically their original work (even though the words themselves are not). Unfortunately for them ASCAP/BMI are not interested in collecting royalties for artistic works beyond music and therefore will not collect for Sound Choice or the rest of the Manus. There are no similar groups that are willing to do this for them at this point.

So Sound Choice's decision has been to force KJ's to buy discs, with mostly useless songs that will never get sung because their profit margin is much better that way. This is why they've fought so hard against format shift as well because they make more money if you're forced to buy another copy of a CD if it gets damaged.

Now for those of you that are going to say well that's wrong because Sound Choice says this or that, listen to or read what they have to say very carefully. They speak in misleading ways but if you pay attention to the letter of what they say you'll see it all fits the exact situation above. They try to deflect blame over and over again toward the artists, ASCAP, whomever but the fact of the matter is if that the only difference between a downloaded track being licensed for private use and for "commercial" use is a decision made by Sound Choice based on profitability.

Funny Bone,

Actually Rip is incorrect SC is not going after payment for performing rights, they are only going after the money that is due them from pirated products. That has already been shown over and over again by the KJs who have been audited and found to be legal and those who have had pirated music on their systems who have settled.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:58 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
The question is, regarding 1:1, how many of you out there are actually 1:1, that is your library of discs on one harddrive? I bet many have one or more back ups of their harddrive and therefore are not 1:1 but 2 or 3 or more to 1. Therein lies the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:38 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

that is a good point as well, if you have a hard drive, that you are using for a commercial enterprise, and another hard drive, which you keep as a back-up but do not use as part of a commercial enterprise, would that be considered infringement?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:53 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

hhb119fist....yes that would be considered infringement.

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hhb119fist @ Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:38 am wrote:
that is a good point as well, if you have a hard drive, that you are using for a commercial enterprise, and another hard drive, which you keep as a back-up but do not use as part of a commercial enterprise, would that be considered infringement?

Depends. If it was a nothing more than a clone copy of the main drive, in an immediately useful format, possibly.

If the data backup was done through a backup program that compresses and archives, and needed to be restored to a useful condition via that same backup program, probably not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:35 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
timberlea @ Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:58 pm wrote:
The question is, regarding 1:1, how many of you out there are actually 1:1, that is your library of discs on one harddrive? I bet many have one or more back ups of their harddrive and therefore are not 1:1 but 2 or 3 or more to 1. Therein lies the problem.

I have my discs copied on to 4 hard drives. 2 go to the shows with me, that way I have back-up and am prepared if the first fails. 3rd stays at home on my desk, 4th is stored with my original discs. The 1:1 ratio as I understand it means I can't have tracks on my drive that I don't own a disc for, or if i'm running 3 systems I can provide seperate discs for each system in use. What problem does redundant back-up create if no more than 1 drive is ever in use, and I can prove ownership of every disc on the drive?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:20 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
timberlea @ Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:58 pm wrote:

Um, how many of you PC hosts know that "1:1", in regard to SC isn't just a matter of having all the discs to match the tracks. Nope. "1:1" in regard to SC means that each and every KJ who rips SC's discs must have obtained individual written permission from SC. This is per Kurt.

So, how many of you have ripped your SC discs figuring that since you bought 'em, you can rip 'em- WITHOUT getting written permission from SC?

How many of you have gone to SC and gotten individual permission in writing to rip your discs?

Please keep in mind that this isn't me talking, but Kurt.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:12 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Joe that was the point I was making. If you didn't have permission from SC, but DID have a legitimate cd for every song on your hard-drive, maintaining a 1:1 ratio, I don't think they would "win" a civil suit against you. This is the way I see this happening....(hypothetically of course, as I have already stated I personally intend to go through the audit once I have all my gear)

SoundChoice: You need written permission to rip to a hard-drive, otherwise you have to
"buy" the gem series.
Me: Bugger off, I bought all my cds and am not making multiple copies, so leave me alone and go after the pirates.
SoundChoice: You need to come in and go through an audit, if you do so, we promise we wont sue you
Me: No, go ahead and sue me, you eeeeevil corporate thug (i have a tendency to be overly dramatic)
SoundChoice(to themselves): I bet this little bastard is a pirate himself, why else wouldn't he just go through the audit, okay we will sue him.

(in the courtroom now)
SoundChoice: Your honor, this guy is pirating our music, also he is a big meanie and called us corporate thugs.
Me: to the first part, Nuh uh, see I brought all of my Cds and my one hardrive that I shifted too, and for the corporate thug thing, sorry, I was all jacked up on mountain dew.
SoundChoice(to themselves again): Ok, so the guy isn't a pirate, and if we pursue this and lose then lots of other people are gonna challenge us and we won't be able to make lots of money off the gem series, and we will have a tough time getting actual pirates off the street.
SoundChoice(to judge): we are withdrawing our complaint
Judge: Case Dismissed

Me(jumping up on the table): OH YEAH, F- YO COURT
Judge: bailif put this man in jail for contempt of court

and that is how I (hypothetically) won a case against a major Manu, and still ended up in jail, I hope that clears everything up...

man I really got to stop posting things on the internet after consuming enough caffine to give a mastadon a heart attack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Mr Joe,

There is actually a list of people who have done just that (gotten permission to use copies of the disc on their hard drives) from both Sound Choice and Chartbuster.

hhb119fist @ Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:12 am wrote:
Joe that was the point I was making. If you didn't have permission from SC, but DID have a legitimate cd for every song on your hard-drive, maintaining a 1:1 ratio, I don't think they would "win" a civil suit against you. This is the way I see this happening....(hypothetically of course, as I have already stated I personally intend to go through the audit once I have all my gear)

SoundChoice: You need written permission to rip to a hard-drive, otherwise you have to "buy" the gem series.

Me: Bugger off, I bought all my cds and am not making multiple copies, so leave me alone and go after the pirates.

SoundChoice: You need to come in and go through an audit, if you do so, we promise we wont sue you

Me: No, go ahead and sue me, you eeeeevil corporate thug (i have a tendency to be overly dramatic)

SoundChoice(to themselves): I bet this little bastard is a pirate himself, why else wouldn't he just go through the audit, okay we will sue him.

(in the courtroom now)
SoundChoice: Your honor, this guy is pirating our music, also he is a big meanie and called us corporate thugs.
Me: to the first part, Nuh uh, see I brought all of my Cds and my one hardrive that I shifted too, and for the corporate thug thing, sorry, I was all jacked up on mountain dew.
SoundChoice(to themselves again): Ok, so the guy isn't a pirate, and if we pursue this and lose then lots of other people are gonna challenge us and we won't be able to make lots of money off the gem series, and we will have a tough time getting actual pirates off the street.
SoundChoice(to judge): we are withdrawing our complaint
Judge: Case Dismissed

Me(jumping up on the table): OH YEAH, F- YO COURT

and that is how I (hypothetically) won a case against a major Manu, and still ended up in jail, I hope that clears everything up...

man I really got to stop posting things on the internet after consuming enough caffine to give a mastadon a heart attack

I know you wouldn't want to be the one to try it just to see if it would work would you?

Because it would go more like this, and this is the way I see this happening....

SoundChoice: This is a letter of intent to sue, you were observed using copies of our product in a commerial setting displaying or company logo/trademark. Copies of which you did not have our permission to make, this is a violation of both the Copyright and Trademark laws. However, we will setup an audit and if we see that you are 1:1 with copies v product, we will sign off on permission for you to use copies of our Logo/trademark in a commercial venture. Please contact us to setup said audit.

You: Bugger off, I bought all my cds and am not making multiple copies, so leave me alone and go after the pirates.

You: No, go ahead and sue me, you eeeeevil corporate thug (i have a tendency to be overly dramatic)

SoundChoice(to themselves): I bet this guy really doesn't know what it is going to cost him to go to court, win, lose or draw.

(in the courtroom now)

SoundChoice: Your honor, This guy was observed on this date displaying the Sound Choice logo/trademark at venue X at 9:10 for song XXXX by XXXX and at 9:15 for song xxxxx by xxxxxxxxxxxx and again at 9:20 for song xxxxxxxxxxx by xx and on and on. Then on this date he was observed displaying the Sound Choice logo/trademark at venue X at 9:10 for song XXXX by XXXX and at 9:15 for song xxxxx by xxxxxxxxxxxx and again at 9:20 for song xxxxxxxxxxx by xx and on and on and on and on and on. for a total of 41 seperate infringments upon our Trademark

This is in direct violation of TITLE 15 - COMMERCE AND TRADE
CHAPTER 22 - SUBCHAPTER III - Sec. 1114 - 1 A and B

Attorney for Sound Choice: Plaintiff Rest your Honor

Judge: Mr. Duh you may present!

You: to the first part: Duh, see I brought all of my Cds and my one hardrive that I shifted too, I was all jacked up on mountain dew.

Judge: Mr. Duh are you using Caffine as a defense?

Attorney for Sound Choice: Did you have permission to copy those CDs to that hard drive?

You: Sound Choice doesn't have the right to ask permission Joe told me so!

Attorney for Sound Choice: how many Sound Choice songs did you copy to your hard drive?

You: all 230 disc worth?

Attorney for Sound Choice: That would be 3,450 song correct?

You: yes something like that!

Atorney for Sound Choice: Thank you

You: I present my my disc as evidence that I am 1:1

Judge: that's nice but I just need to see your written permission that gave you the right to make copies of the Sound Choice trademark.

You: but I was 1:1

Judge: Mr. Duh, this case is not about you having the disc, this case is about you making copies of the Sound Choice logo trademark and displaying them in a commercial venture, did you do so?

You: yes but Mr. Joe said Sound Choice couldn't do anything about it.

Judge: Well it appears that the problem here is you listened to Mr. Joe, is he going to help you pay for this?

You: I hope so.

Judge: Me too.

Judge: Ok having heard all the facts and seen all of the evidence that was presented in this case, I am ready to render judgement verbally, my written opinion will be released in 30 days.

Judge: I find for the plaintiff in this matter, the plaintiff has asked for relief in the matter the following

1. That all equipment used to perform, display, play, store, copy be seized by the court and distroyed.

Judge: I am so ordering at this time that all such equipment owned or in posession of the respondent be so seized, to include all equipment, computers, speakers, amps, TVs and or monitors of any kind, Mixers, and any other equipment that may be used to play said disc or files upon.

2. That all disc containing Sound Choice product be seized and destroyed.

Judge: I am so ordering that all such disc as described be seized and destroyed.

3. That Sound Choice receive as damages $100,000 for each copy of it's trademark that was infringed upon.

Judge: while I understand that the statute allows this sum and three times the damages, it is my judgement that that amount would be an excessive amount to sanction this particular respondent, so it is my judgement that this court will reduce that amount to $750 per copy for a total amount of $2,587,500.

4. that all cost and attorney's fees for this action be paid for by the respondent.

Judge: I am granting as statutory the plaintiff's cost and attorneys fees in the sum of $40,000.

Judge: Mr. Duh do you understand the ruling of this court?

You: AHHH Ahhh Duh!

Judge: so my finding is for the plaintiff in the amount of $2,627,500.

Judge: is there anything else before this court concerning either the plaintiff or Mr. Duh?

You: well there is another matter I am involved in a case titled CHARTBUSTER V MR. DUH!

Judge: That is not yet on the docket we will take that up at the appropriate time

You: (jumping up on the table): OH YEAH, F- YO COURT

and that is how you (hypothetically) Lost a case against a major Manu, and still ended up in jail, I hope that clears everything up...

I just want to see the Dumas Talker that decides to go for it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:39 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

ok, first things first, mine was way funnier. which was my intention.

Second, in no way would I be that guy, I just like playing devils advocate.

Third, I actually went and talked to an Intellectual Property lawyer, and let me replay our conversation too you

Me:(explaining the situation)
Him: so, you can go through a simple audit process and avoid hassle
Me: yes, thats right
Him: My advice would be to do that then
Me: of course, but lets be hypothetical here.
Him(sighing): Okay, here you go.

The fact that the Manu's offer a person to use their Intellectual Property in a commercial setting, and have also allowed people to shift from one format to another could, and I must stress the word could, be construed as a defacto permission for people to do so. The odds of you winning a case about it are not very high, call it 10% if you are lucky, but with the right Judge hearing the case it is possible to win, which is the last thing that The manu's would want, because even if they win 99 out of a hundred cases, losing 1 hurts them more than the 99 wins help them. Because once a judge rules that way it does make it legal for someone to use their copyrighted material on a hard drive without securing permission first.

Me: Thats an interesting take on it

Him: seriously though, just go through the audit, its not worth the risk
Me: yes sir.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes I would say a 1:10 ratio would be a rough call on the chances of winning and that would only be if all your ducks were in a row, I think it would be closer to 1:100. It looks like you left one part out in your conversation with your attorney but it is a very important part, (they are allowing others to shift with "Written Permission") now the chances of winning just dropped to 1:1,000,000.

But at least, your attorney was honest with you on the chances someone would have of possibly winning.

As for the humorous part, yes yours was funny, mine wasn't meant to be.

If they won 99 cases out of a hundred before losing one they wouldn't lose the one because they would just hold up the 99 winning rulings and the 100th would be a done deal as well. The first case that goes to the appeals court or the supreme court and is upheld is the one that will hold sway on all the rest from that point forward.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:52 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Talked to IP attorney again. He said he had looked into it more, and the odds were significantly lower than he had origianally thought. Thank you virgin karaoke for reminding me about the logo. I hadn't brought that up with him originaly. He told me last time we talked that the only way I could win a case like that would have to go like this. (my rendition, not his)

Me: yay, im a kj and playing music on my computer

Soundchoice: Hey, we didn't give you permission to use our stuff on a computer

Me: but, I bought your cds. and i didn't make multiple copies

Soundchoice: too bad, we are suing you anyways

If they were to stop offering people they "catch" an audit to clear things up, then the chances of someone winning a case against them significantly improves. The KJ could argue that they were discriminated against, and depending on how liberal of a judge they get they could win. However if soundchoice and chartbuster continue to offer audits they will be sitting pretty for any court cases.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:50 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

I sure wish Singyoassoff would pop in and give us a guestimate of how many Attny hours this would take at each step...then maybe some of the nay sayers would have an idea of what it will cost them

Lee McGuffey

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next