KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Very Disturbing Administrative Comments, Suggestions & Questions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Very Disturbing
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:17 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
I posted a thread in the legality forum, and at the end of my post, I wrote my name, as I often do. Once I submitted the post, a few words were highlighted in orange, and had double lines under them. I've seen this before, not even questioning it. However, one of the words highlighted, an underlined was my NAME. I passed the mouse over my name, and saw YP. Clicked on it, and the White Pages in my area came up with a list of everyone with my name. I found this very disturbing. I'd like to know if this is going to be common practice, or what the explanation is, so I can make my decision as to whether I want to continue to visit this forum. Goes without saying that I edited the post, and will NEVER write my name again on any posts. Has this happened to anyone else, or am I the first.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Very Disturbing
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:54 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
srnitynow wrote:
I posted a thread in the legality forum, and at the end of my post, I wrote my name, as I often do. Once I submitted the post, a few words were highlighted in orange, and had double lines under them. I've seen this before, not even questioning it. However, one of the words highlighted, an underlined was my NAME. I passed the mouse over my name, and saw YP. Clicked on it, and the White Pages in my area came up with a list of everyone with my name. I found this very disturbing. I'd like to know if this is going to be common practice, or what the explanation is, so I can make my decision as to whether I want to continue to visit this forum. Goes without saying that I edited the post, and will NEVER write my name again on any posts. Has this happened to anyone else, or am I the first.

That's pretty messed up. Hopefully it was some accidental addition that will go away, quickly.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:52 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
srnitynow wrote:

I believe that is a browser add-on of some sort that does the linking. There is no code that I see in the KS forums source that converts and links to YP.

-Chris Avis

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:41 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
srnitynow wrote:

Whether there is a link to it or not, that info is still out there. Someone could just as easily put your name into Google and get the exact same information. Nothing sinister here.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:07 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I understand that anyone could do a Google search, but they wouldn't get my (local) area phone book, unless they knew where I lived. That was my concern. My concern was that my name was highlighted (which has never happened before), and was basically saying, if you want to look this guy up, here is the link. The link was also to my local area phone book. I don't think anyone on this forum would be happy with this situation, and I don't find it unreasonable to ASK if someone can tell me what happened. I've been on this forum for about 4 years now, and have made some friends, I'd like to feel at ease using this site, but if not, I'll just have to give it up.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:43 am 
webmaster
webmaster

Been Liked: 122 times
@srnitynow that was not something that was incorporated in the forums!

As @chrisavis stated it is a browser add-on. either something you have added to your system or that was added by another recent download.

The above is the only feature that would be similar - but this only links to your Karaoke Scene Forum profile, not the Yellow or White pages. This is a tag (similar to what Facebook & Twitter have) This is a simple feature on the website added yesterday.

What browser are you using?
I'm certain there are a few of us on here that can help you get that removed, if you know longer want that feature.

KJ / MC

services provided by:
CROSS WEB TECH

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Phil, first, thanks for your attention. I don't know what browser, do you mean like Explorer? So, are you saying that none of the words in Orange, double underlined can be seen by you? All I know is that I can see certain words in Orange, double underlined, and when you pass the curser over them, an ad pops up. The ad over my name was for YP. when I clicked on it, I got the local phonebook with all person with my name, except I wrote my first name, and these people had their last name same as my first. If this is some kind of browser, or whatever, I'd love to have someone help me to get rid of it. Thanks....

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
internet explorer:
settings
manage add-ons
under toolbars and extensions go through and disable everything......
browsing experience is faster and less annoying.

fire fox:
orange button in top left corner select add-ons
the under the extensions and pluggins disable everything.
browsing experience is faster and less annoying.

advanced users: do what you want as you know what needs to be their.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:13 am 
webmaster
webmaster

Yes, I cannot see the double orange underline! That is something on your computer.

By browser, I do mean like Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE). Personally, I use Google Chrome. 2nd options would be Opera, Safari, or FireFox. IE has too many problems, in my opinion.

Have you recently downloaded some software from the Internet? Often these include features (that you may or may not want) with the downloads. Like this YP browser add-on.

I am searching for a solution. Maybe another members already knows how.

KJ / MC

services provided by:
CROSS WEB TECH

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:48 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for the info, and help. I feel alot better no. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:35 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
I found the IE linking to be annoying too..

It seems to be related to a Micro$oft update..

That's why I'm on Firefox these days. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:14 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

srnitynow wrote:
Phil, first, thanks for your attention. I don't know what browser, do you mean like Explorer? So, are you saying that none of the words in Orange, double underlined can be seen by you? All I know is that I can see certain words in Orange, double underlined, and when you pass the curser over them, an ad pops up. The ad over my name was for YP. when I clicked on it, I got the local phonebook with all person with my name, except I wrote my first name, and these people had their last name same as my first. If this is some kind of browser, or whatever, I'd love to have someone help me to get rid of it. Thanks....

Rosario, you have had some software -- possibly malware -- added to your browser. It is nothing to do with the forum.

I don't use Internet Explorer myself. If you want to switch to Firefox, that should get rid of the problem. Or you can take the time to remove any add-ons you don't understand from Explorer. I can't tell you how to do that as I never use Internet Explorer and don't plan on starting...

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:17 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks to all of you for the help. I'm just relieved that it was just something that simple. I may look to change from IE in the future.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
You really should go with firefox.... much nicer all the way around.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
think what you want but all browsers are still tied to internet explorer in some way.

thank m$ for that one!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:17 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
mightywiz wrote:
think what you want but all browsers are still tied to internet explorer in some way.

Ummm. No.

-Chris

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:56 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

mightywiz wrote:

Get out much? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:46 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Firefox and Internet Explorer actually trace to the same code base, that of the original graphical web browser, Mosaic. Marc Andreesen founded Netscape based on Mosaic, then the University of Illinois sold the code to Spyglass, Inc. which licensed it to Microsoft as the original basis for Internet Explorer.

That being said, there is not much connection left. Firefox uses no facilities from IE, and I don't believe it ever has.

(I lived in Champaign and was at the first public demonstration of Mosaic. Spyglass was next door to my company in Champaign, and I have a close friend who worked for them.)

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:54 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Back in the day, I gave away thousands of Mosaic CDs in an attempt to promote it..

(Did not take)

:mrgreen: