KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Vote On New Options ATTN: PHILL Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next

Should we add any of these features to the SS?
Delete comment 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Delete comment 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Preview comment before approving 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
Preview comment before approving 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
Report inappropriate submission 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Report inappropriate submission 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
All three features 21%  21%  [ 30 ]
All three features 21%  21%  [ 30 ]
Leave things as they are 15%  15%  [ 21 ]
Leave things as they are 15%  15%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 140
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:41 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
LMAO  LMAO Chuck you "crack" me up

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Odie @ Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:11 am wrote:
Here's a bit of an update, Cindy is working on writing up a voting ballot for the SS members to cast their final vote on.  Luly and I will look at it too, then  will send out a final voting notice to everyone.  The final results/suggestions will be given to the Administration for review and possible implementation.

Just keep in mind that you have to have the whole forums representation in that poll IMO. In other words if the active forum membership is 1000, but only 40 vote then I don't think it justifies changing the whole site based on the whims of 40. There are various reasons why people may not vote, or might miss it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:08 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
I agree with this 100% Bill.  This isn't an emergency that for any reason shouldn't wait for all who are interested. What is going to happen is that in a few weeks some here might be satisfied with the changes, but others that are silent will be screaming "Hey, what the (#($ happened to the format ?  We liked it the way it was.  Silence doesn't constitute a vote either way, we are here to have fun, and don't want anything to do with the complaints of bboard members, we are sick of that and tune it out."   Keep in mind, that ANY serious poll once approved by administration or a super-moderator SHOULD be posed again by administration or a site authority.  Not all members are read and taken seriously... Sorry, just the way things are... Let the administration after this is approved BE the people that pose this assuming many haven't responded.  If I'm the one who posts a poll, or send an Email, some won't open it.. Same with many of you. I think these should be preliminary samplings only.  Unless as BIll says you have unanimous representation.  I mentioned this before, some disagreed,  I maintain what I said... It's just the stubborn female dog I am !  Some are impatient, but that too is NOT fair representation of how the vast majority view this particular issue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:23 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Steven, could you expand on this?  I'm not sure i'm following your train of thought here:

" Keep in mind, that ANY serious poll once approved by administration or a super-moderator SHOULD be posed again by administration or a site authority.  Not all members are read and taken seriously... Sorry, just the way things are... Let the administration after this is approved BE the people that pose this assuming many haven't responded.."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:25 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Are you saying that a majority of SS members aren't able to successfully vote on anything in a valid manner?  If not, why not?  I don't get it, does a lack of interest by some members out weigh the interest and desire for change by other members?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:30 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

How many members should have a vote on this in Singer's Showcase ?  IF (as Bill states) 40% have voted and 60% haven't. You aren't going to get fair representation of unanimous vote of the site.  There might be several reasons for this.  Some don't care what a few of us think.  THIS SHOULD be posed by administration because realistically HOW many in here are really in a hurry to change things ?  maybe 10 ?   and that's ten out've HOW MANY ?

That is my point..  There are MANY in SS.....  Have most voted in this poll,  MOST if not all entitled to a vote ?  If the answer is NO,  nobody has a right to speak on their behalf.  Some of us participating in these threads and voting don't feel these changes are going to be beneficial even though we contribute to these threads.  You need to view those in a hurry to change this as being a fragment of the whole of a venue.  What are the percentages ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:36 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Phill is capable of contacting everybody and notifying them of a pending vote.  I don't understand why this is insuffucuent notification.  What else could possibly be done to contact people?  If these proposals truly are a minority view, then the majority can speak up about it and cast their vote.  I don't see anything that unusual about this whole process.  And don't forget, nothing happens anyway without the approval of the administration.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:39 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

We've been discussing these assorted SS issues for months.  I don't really think taking some kind of a vote now is really being "in a Hurry for change".  Do we want to keep arguing and discussing all this for the rest of the year?  LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Odie @ Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:25 pm wrote:
Are you saying that a majority of SS members aren't able to successfully vote on anything in a valid manner?  If not, why not?  I don't get it, does a lack of interest by some members out weigh the interest and desire for change by other members?

There are different reasons why people may not vote. People have different levels of interest and varying amounts of time to do such things and partake in KS / SS. Since the end of November I've been mostly away from this site, and was surprised to hear of all this uproar about SS. Apparently I missed some big flame war or something. So, in that regard there are those that simply haven't logged on and aren't aware yet. Also, there may be those that only spend time in SS and aren't really aware of what is going on in the forum threads. They are primarily into subbing music, but you can bet they might be interested to know if it suddenly changed for some reason. Also there is a very active contingent on KS of people that constantly post and monitor threads. A lot of the people involved in the poll / thread on this subject are some of those people. There may be 10 super active people, 20 active, 50 fairly active, etc. The rest of the forum is mostly silent, but occasionally someone chimes in. This is how it is on all forums I am involved in. To some degree the active participants do dictate the direction of changes and that is to some degree justified, but not completely. IMO you can't just have 10 people really worked up about an issue and have them change it for everyone else. Finally I assume there may be those people that just don't feel they are required to vote, or express their thoughts. Many times I don't feel like saying something, but that doesn't mean I don't care. Plus, I might just somehow miss seeing it, or knowing how important it is.

Those are just a few reasons I can thing of off the top of my head.

EDIT: Let me add that I'm certainly not down on the notion of trying to improve things. I'm just saying make sure it is an inclusive vote / opinion. Sure Admin has the final word...as it should be.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:48 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

All depends on how many members are entitled to a vote, and how many have voted.  THAT is the single most important issue in site change.  This isn't overly important to all because it's the issue of a percentage of the population only, what you must establish is what percentage..  The problem is SOME of the people,  NOT the site or majority enjoying the site...  Do you have 50% vote yet ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:48 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

So Bill, are you saying that people on here who are ordinarily not interested in what's going on would be upset if any changes were made?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:52 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Quote:
So Bill, are you saying that people on here who are ordinarily not interested in what's going on would be upset if any changes were made?

If *I* were asked that question my response would be.  I have NO right to answer for them either way,  they have a right to their own input !  But I do know silence does not constitute a vote either way in such a situation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:52 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Steven Kaplan @ Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:48 pm wrote:
All depends on how many members are entitled to a vote, and how many have voted.  THAT is the single most important issue in site change.  This isn't overly important to all because it's the issue of a percentage of the population only, what you must esablish is what percentage..  The problem is SOME of the people,  NOT the site or majority enjoying the site...  Do you have 50% vote yet ?

Every member would be entitled to an equal vote.  Nobody's vote means more than anyone elses.  It's not that much different from any other kind of a city, state or national election is it?  Those who decide to vote have asserted their power.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:53 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Steven Kaplan @ Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:52 pm wrote:
Quote:

If *I* were asked that question my response would be.  I have NO right to answer for them either way,  they have a right to their own input !  But I do know silence does not constitute a vote either way in such a situation

Makes sense to me!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Odie @ Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:48 pm wrote:

Possibly. There may be a larger silent contingent than most currently realize. This is primarily true because there will be a number of people that like this site, but because of work and other issues can't always spend as much time on line, - and other issues I mentioned. I know a girl Tinkerbell that said because of college she won't be back on until next summer. Of course that is an extreme example.

It helps to have some type of change procedure, or policy in place. Right now, this is likely in a facts gathering  / opinion mode. If enough agree then perhaps it goes to Phil who decides to either implement or try and post it and get the attention of a wider audience for final approval.

That said, all changes will always ruffle the feathers of some. That's the Garden Party Rule - or at least part of it. Kind of Murphy's Law corollary also.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:57 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Quote:
Those who decide to vote have asserted their power

only to a point.  At many elections if there's no quorum of individuals eligible to vote on a matter  (which might be 1/3- 2/3 overall voting strength) there isn't enough representation to constitute official business, and the meeting procedes as unofficial.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Steven Kaplan @ Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:57 pm wrote:
Quote:
Those who decide to vote have asserted their power

only to a point.  At many elections if there's no quorum of individuals eligible to vote on a matter  (which might be 1/3- 2/3 overal voting strength) there isn't enough representation to constitute official business, and the meeting procedes as unofficial.

Yeah, that's a good point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:02 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

planet_bill @ Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:55 pm wrote:
Odie @ Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:48 pm wrote:

Possibly. There may be a larger silent contingent than most currently realize. This is primarily true because there will be a number of people that like this site, but because of work and other issues can't always spend as much time on line, - and other issues I mentioned. I know a girl Tinkerbell that said because of college she won't be back on until next summer. Of course that is an extreme example.

It helps to have some type of change procedure, or policy in place. Right now, this is likely in a facts gathering  / opinion mode. If enough agree then perhaps it goes to  who decides to either implement or try and post it and get the attention of a wider audience for final approval.

That said, all changes will always ruffle the feathers of some. That's the Garden Party Rule - or at least part of it. Kind of Murphy's Law corollary also.

Bill, the administration has been contacted and they stated by e-mail that they would gladly review any proposed changes in SS that people have voted on.  But they would not be able to guarantee putting them into place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:02 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Realistically though BIll.  If it weren't for blabbermouths like myself,  they might get their way regardless because these sites aren't a democracy  LMAO.  Thing is,  I just think it's only fair to include all as you have stated !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:05 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

In the interim,  why not just give the serious singers that want a REAL Critique feature their own club. Let those enjoying themselves have Singers Showcase

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next