KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Mics and Player Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mics and Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:07 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Hello Everyone: I'm new, and I'm just starting up my first karaoke business.    
I am gathering my equipment, and by the end of this week, I will have the system described below*.  I need to pick up mics and a cd+g player.  Any suggestions on brands that I should look at?  Are vocopro mics sufficient?  I was told Shure is too high end for karaoke, is that true?  Any input would be very helpful.  THANKS!

(below are the stats of my amp/board/speaker system)
   * 3-way powered system: Bi-amp plus passive crossover into satellite
   * LOW output power: 400W RMS(EIAJ) class AB
   * MID-HIGH output power: 190W + 190W RMS (EIAJ) class AB
   * Peak power rating: 980W peak
   * Max SPL at 1mt: 119.5 dB continuous -122.5dB Peak
   * Frequency response: 45Hz - 20k Hz @-10dB
   * Impedance Low-Mid/High: Low 4 Ohm-Mid/High 8 Ohm
   * Crossover Frequencies: Active 125Hz at 12dB/Oct.-Passive 3KHz at 12dB/Oct with Electronic Dynamic Protections
   * Amplifier Protections Low-Mid/High: Soft start-short circuit - DC output voltage-thermal protection-subsonic filter at 30Hz-24dB/Oct-Limiter/Compressor
   * Low Frequency device: 15"/385mm - 2.5" voice coil
   * Mid Frequency device: 2 x 6.5"/165mm - 1.5" Voice Coil
   * High Frequency device: 1" compression driver - 1" voice coil
   * Horn coverage: 80H Deg x 80 Deg

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Mics and Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:15 pm 
I can't tell much by looking at your specs.

If you look at any of the previous technical posts you'll see that the resounding favorite is the Shure SM58 corded or wireless ... no mention ever of a recommendation for vocojunk.

Recommend you get both a multi-format player (such as CAVS) and a CD+G player so you can keep the tunes rolling.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:27 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
Dsharrow,  Thanks for the quick reply

I knew that the SM58 was a great mic from personal use as vocalist in vocal jazz and solo work.  The local Karaoke store owner told me the 58 is too good to put out there with drunk or careless karaoke singers.  He said a high quality mic in the hands of an amateur makes him nervous and then he recommended the vocopros.  Glad to have your input.  

S.A.D.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
actually, that's not true... I've given kudus to Vocopro mics... I don't know the model, but it was a dual wireless one I was at a show one time, and I was AMAZED at how nice they sounded... how great they felt in my hands... good weight. Far from junk!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
I would say the exact opposite about Shure SM58 mics. They are built like tanks whereas some cheaper mics will get destroyed relatively quickly.

When I first started out, I bought 4 mics: A 3-pack of Samson R21s and 1 Shure SM58.

I like the sound of the Samson R21s and 3 of them cost $49 with a case. I actually have been using the R21s as my announcement mic and the duet mics, but the Shure has been the main vocal mic.

After 2.5 years, the Shure is still good as new. 2 of my 3 Samson mics still work as well. One is in prefect condition while the other one has had a grille replaced but still functions properly, so I have it as an emergency mic.

The point being, the Shure will take abuse that cheaper mics just can't handle AND it sounds better to the discerning ear (though you'll find most singers don't care what the mic sounds like, I have plenty that like the way my Samson's sound better than the Shure).

Don't hesitate to go for the Shure, as you may never have to replace it so at $99, it is a BARGIN!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:35 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
sad @ Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:27 pm wrote:
Dsharrow,  Thanks for the quick reply

I knew that the SM58 was a great mic from personal use as vocalist in vocal jazz and solo work.  The local Karaoke store owner told me the 58 is too good to put out there with drunk or careless karaoke singers.  He said a high quality mic in the hands of an amateur makes him nervous and then he recommended the vocopros.  Glad to have your input.  

S.A.D.

SM58 is a great mic for karaoke.  I've used the same 2 since '94 & they've dropped, swung, flung, & still sound great.  Other mics can't stand the riggers of karaoke & Often will fail with a few drops.  Cheaper mics may sound just as good, but if you have to replace them every so often, you may as well have bought a mic that will stand up to everyday abuse to begin with!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:51 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
I reomend the Samson R21's.  Sure the Shure (LOL) is technically a better mic, but 95% of people will never know the difference.  And fro the price of 1 SM58, you can get  abrund 6 R21s.

I have used both while hosting karaoke, and switched em up during a show.  No one noticed a difference.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile