KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Song perfection Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Song perfection
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:57 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
You guys are so gifted. It usually takes me at least 20 or 30 takes (I think my all time record was well over 100 takes) before I can get a song to a point where I'm satisfied with it (although I feel there is still a lot of room for improvement). All of my recordings are raw and unedited, so mixing and editing are not an issue. Maybe someday, I'll have the time to actually produce a song properly.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

1.) how long do you work on a song to, "Get it right"

2.) Do you sometimes just give up and say, that’s good enough for SS?

3.)What do you find the most difficult laying down a song? (Mix, vocals, pitch, timing,
Etc.?)

4.) Weasels jumping at your throat?

#1 how long? hmmmmm, like everyone else it depends on the song, and how well i know it.....it can take from 1 to 5 times....depends...

#2....not really, on most songs i'll try to do my best ...for that day anyway....each day is different...if i can't get something right?  i'll just sit it a side and come back to it later....

#3 i find that mixing takes the most time, i really don't spend alotta time on any of it, but lord knows i should....one of the hardest things for me to do is to find the right key....each key change forces me to sing that song differenly....a song can go from country to blues just by changing the key, to me thats a blast, but can take time......phraseing is another thing i spend alotta time on,  and making sure if the song calls for emotion,  then there better be some in the song....if ur smiling as you sing, i cryed a river over you, somethings wrong....JMO....truth is i have cryed singing many songs, depends on the words and how they touch me that day.....ok did i tell to much...lol....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:28 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Hi:

I take the easy way out. I bring a tape recorder or (preferably) a video camera and tape live karaoke sessions. Most of the time the sound is pretty good because I only go to karaoke shows where the KJ has good sound. As mentioned in another post, you only get one shot at it so I practice the song at least 10 times prior to singing it. It's surprising how much you can get away with a live version, singing wise, and often the emotion pulls the song out even if the singing is just a little off.

4.) Weasels jumping at your throat?  What can I say. Practice, practice, practice. Singing lessons help. Don't need them to be private. One of those singing lessons on tape or disk will do. Worked wonders for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:53 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I like this question....

1.) how long do you work on a song to, "Get it right"

Depends...lets see...too me over 8 months to get "A Day In The Life" subbable...but most of the time it takes about 30 to 50 plays of a song to get through. I don't edit or cut pieces, so I must sing and play all the way through...if not good enough..then try again the same or another day...no rush anyway to sub. I impose the all the way through rule on myself to help me be a better singer/player...

I think the quality level here in SS is high...if you want comments on your song it better be good. Time is precious to everyone and rushed or good enough songs won't get listened to that much normally.  Also, makes it harder for comments in the future if a previous song wasn't that good...

3.)What do you find the most difficult laying down a song? (Mix, vocals, pitch, timing,
Etc.?)

....my biggest problem is playing and singing (in pitch) at the same time...The guitar can take the singing down if I don't make the chord quite right.  hate it when I get near the end of a song and my voice cracks or a string breaks...Mixing can take a bunch of time as well.  

no weasels here...just roof rats...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:23 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

1.) How long do you work on a song to, "Get it right"

All depends on the song. Sometimes I get it in one take other times 2 or 3 and some hard ones 5.

Somehow I always know if I can sing the song from the start. I never pick a song that I know I can't do well. Every song I sub I hope its good enough for SS.

Etc.?)

Maybe a little bit of all those things, again it all depends on the song.

Yes sometimes I get those, mostly right at the end of a take and then I have to sing it all over again, what a drag !

Cheers, Peter