KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Reasons for going "Digital" Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks


premium-member

Offsite Links


It is currently Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:27 am 
Offline
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 5286
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 382 times
If it works for you why fix it. Unless you can hear using top of the line quality analog vs digital mixer equipment you'll never know how much difference there is between the two. If you are happy with the sound you are using and don't want to spend time learning the digital mixer, there's a huge learning curve to it. Probably take a few months to get accustomed to it and learn about all of its features.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:43 pm 
Offline
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:57 pm
Posts: 22954
Songs: 35
Images: 3
Location: Tacoma, WA
Been Liked: 2117 times
mrscott wrote:
Bob Latshaw wrote:
Digital all the way. Analog mixers get dust in the sliders and don't last as long. Digital is not prone to noise either. Mixers like the QSC Touchmix can also do things most analogs mixers can't. Multiple aux outputs, multiple effects, and routing capabilities that just don't exist in the analog world. With digital, there's virtually no limit on what you can control on a screen. With knobs, there's always a limit to what you can do. I also don't know of any analog mixer that can be controlled remotely from your phone.


So, what I am hearing is: digital mixers are a new cool toy to play with.

But bottom line, do they or will they attract new and more clientele? Meaning more money in the pocket of the host???
Answer - NO! They will not attract anyone new because you run a digital mixer (mixer is just 1 piece of the signal anyway). It's the kj, selection, overall sound (which can be achieved just fine with analog - and has for years/decades),etc - overall experience to the customer and a mixer is not going to make or break that. Just like kj's that have switched strictly to HD video files and no longer use their mp3g because the sound is 'that much' (which equates to a tad lol if that) better. Yes the graphics are much cleaner and sharper, but the singer just wants to sing their song, the high majority could give a rip if the graphics are much clearer with special backgrounds that make swirlies under the words lol - this will not bring in new singers either.

Yes digital mixers are loaded to the hilt with features that analog doesn't have, doesn't mean it's any better, and for those with multiple kj's can be a more pain in the arse to train. I have seen shows where kj's often barely adjust their analog at their fingertip adjustments. I can see it happen even less with a digital mixer.

_________________
LIKE Lonman on Facebook - Lonman Productions Karaoke & my main site via my profile!
Image


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:56 pm 
Offline
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:57 pm
Posts: 22954
Songs: 35
Images: 3
Location: Tacoma, WA
Been Liked: 2117 times
Bob Latshaw wrote:
Alan B wrote:
You are right on the fact that you will have better sounding equipment, but wrong on the fact that it's going to get you better gigs.

We're about to find out the answer to that question at Rentaconcert.com
Running a digital mixer for a concert is a little difference scenario. A live band is a little different, you set up the mics ahead of time, and everything except minor adjustments and effect changes throughout, the general settings to all other channels remain pretty much the same.
We are talking karaoke where each singer (and often song since not all tracks are created equal) and effects gets adjusted each song, doesn't need tons of routing options (most shows i've seen hardly even use a floor/stage monitor).

_________________
LIKE Lonman on Facebook - Lonman Productions Karaoke & my main site via my profile!
Image


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:44 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 471
Been Liked: 157 times
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:

But bottom line, do they or will they attract new and more clientele?

Everyone has their favorite karaoke place. Just because you have better sound, doesn't mean that they're all going to come to your shows.

There are many reasons why people go to the places that they do, even though the sound may be inferior.... including:

• the place is nicer
• the people are friendlier
• the service is better
• the food is better
• their friends go there
• it's cheaper
• the bathrooms are nicer
• it's closer to home

and the list goes on and on. So, just because you may have the best sound in the area, doesn't mean, as I have said, that people are going to stop going to their favorite places and come to yours. So, going digital is not going to bring in new customers.


I mean, facts. This echoes all that stuff I said previously, but now I have it in experience--finally got my friends to go to the place with the great sound (but not a great bar in and of itself) and the verdict was "yeah, I guess it sounds better. The other place is more fun, though.

_________________
Co-host of The Greatest Song Ever Sung (Poorly), a karaoke-themed podcast


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:52 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 4345
Been Liked: 1025 times
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:

But bottom line, do they or will they attract new and more clientele?

Everyone has their favorite karaoke place. Just because you have better sound, doesn't mean that they're all going to come to your shows.

There are many reasons why people go to the places that they do, even though the sound may be inferior.... including:

• the place is nicer
• the people are friendlier
• the service is better
• the food is better
• their friends go there
• it's cheaper
• the bathrooms are nicer
• it's closer to home

and the list goes on and on. So, just because you may have the best sound in the area, doesn't mean, as I have said, that people are going to stop going to their favorite places and come to yours. So, going digital is not going to bring in new customers.


I mean, facts. This echoes all that stuff I said previously, but now I have it in experience--finally got my friends to go to the place with the great sound (but not a great bar in and of itself) and the verdict was "yeah, I guess it sounds better. The other place is more fun, though.

Yeah, I had a group of people that used to come out to my Thursday night show, each and every week without fail. Then they became Eagle members and started going there for karaoke instead. They acknowledge that my show is better, my sound is better and that the bar was nicer, but they all liked paying only $1 for a beer instead of $4.

However, I will never compromise on my sound. There are many people who do appreciate the difference and do want to sound good. I have a reputation for having the best sound in my area, and to some people, it's important.

But the whole point of this conversation was if digital equipment is going to make a difference and bring in more customers. And it is definitely not. At least in the typical bar settings.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:48 am 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 471
Been Liked: 157 times
Alan B wrote:
But the whole point of this conversation was if digital equipment is going to make a difference and bring in more customers. And it is definitely not. At least in the typical bar settings.


Added bonus--while they were closed for remodel, the host did update the sound system. Things were a lot better last night. So, win-win.

_________________
Co-host of The Greatest Song Ever Sung (Poorly), a karaoke-themed podcast


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:04 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 8:37 am
Posts: 492
Location: Sparks, Maryland
Been Liked: 142 times
Lonman wrote:
Running a digital mixer for a concert is a little difference scenario. A live band is a little different, you set up the mics ahead of time, and everything except minor adjustments and effect changes throughout, the general settings to all other channels remain pretty much the same.
We are talking karaoke where each singer (and often song since not all tracks are created equal) and effects gets adjusted each song, doesn't need tons of routing options (most shows i've seen hardly even use a floor/stage monitor).

These are karaoke only concerts, but like you said, for karaoke singers, you're constantly making adjustments. Not just for each individual singer, but the music level changes from song to song too. I don't have to tell you about filler songs and videos between singers. The analog sliders on KJs' mixers fail far more often than those for bands, because they're actually used 100 times more often. That's just another reason to opt for the reliability of a digital mixer. It will pay off in the long run. The economic math says it will, as long as you can afford the upfront cost. Not because you'll make more money per gig, but because it will last longer and you won't need a new mixer for a long time.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:01 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm
Posts: 2279
Been Liked: 269 times
Bob Latshaw wrote:
Lonman wrote:
Running a digital mixer for a concert is a little difference scenario. A live band is a little different, you set up the mics ahead of time, and everything except minor adjustments and effect changes throughout, the general settings to all other channels remain pretty much the same.
We are talking karaoke where each singer (and often song since not all tracks are created equal) and effects gets adjusted each song, doesn't need tons of routing options (most shows i've seen hardly even use a floor/stage monitor).

These are karaoke only concerts, but like you said, for karaoke singers, you're constantly making adjustments. Not just for each individual singer, but the music level changes from song to song too. I don't have to tell you about filler songs and videos between singers. The analog sliders on KJs' mixers fail far more often than those for bands, because they're actually used 100 times more often. That's just another reason to opt for the reliability of a digital mixer. It will pay off in the long run. The economic math says it will, as long as you can afford the upfront cost. Not because you'll make more money per gig, but because it will last longer and you won't need a new mixer for a long time.


Are you assuming that the analog boards will always fail? And that you would "never" have to replace a digital board? I think you might be assuming too much. A good quality analog board should last a person a very long time, maybe even up to 10 years. But by then, you might be looking at upgrades anyway. With most digital boards being as expensive as they are, I would think you wouldn't want to replace them very often at all. And I doubt they will last any longer than 10 years, unless you are doing the same thing with upgrading anyway. Then you add the amount of time it takes to adjust for each singer/song using a digital board, (using menu's, dropdowns, etc), I am in the thought they are not as efficient to use as the analog counterparts. Maybe someday, they will make digital boards that the adjustments can be made on the fly, quickly and easily,,,, I am just hoping for that one.

Maybe for some people and some scenarios, digital boards are the way to go, but for the average KJ who only does it part time, or only for venues that really aren't "professional stages", then analog works. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:57 pm 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:50 pm
Posts: 829
Location: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Been Liked: 405 times
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."... My thoughts exactly, and it's precisely why I've been using Winamp and analog boards for 15 years. I've never had a failure, and I don't need a lot of bells & whistles other than key and tempo change. ... and before you say it, I know I'm not a "real KJ" Alan. You don't have to tell me.

_________________
Earl
(BS, PHD & Certified CurmuDJeon)

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:51 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 4345
Been Liked: 1025 times
Earl wrote:
... and before you say it, I know I'm not a "real KJ" Alan. You don't have to tell me.

Earl, I think you're a great guy. You've been doing this for quite a while and surely know what you're doing, and I certainly have respect for you.

As far as digital mixers are concerned... the only benefit I see in using one would be to eliminate the heavy load of your equipment. It's less bulky and you wouldn't really need a rack mount case for all your stuff. But... with that said, I hate menus. If someone is singing, you need to be able to adjust the Gain, EQ, and Volume settings, on the fly. There's no time to be playing with menus. Give me physical knobs and sliders any day.

But the bottom line is... and I'm sure that the sound quality from a digital mixer is going to be much cleaner than analog with virtually no noise whatsoever. But... are you really going to notice the difference in a noisy bar environment? No your not. I'm sure they're great for studio recording but not for a KJ/DJ.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sanj and 114 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech