KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Would you go back to karaoke... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks


premium-member

Offsite Links


It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:45 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 4639
Been Liked: 517 times
Bob Latshaw wrote:

Nice attempt at turning this around. You entire argument is that we need to stay put to protect the vulnerable like yourself. Have you changed your mind? If you have nothing to be afraid of, then why do you care if people mingle in public and get this over with sooner rather than later? It's only going to last a long time if everyone is scared like you. Fortunately they're not.



:roll: It is not just a matter of protecting the vulnerable we are all vulnerable you to. Why would I change my mind, I'm siding with the medical professionals and the scientists, I'm not a climate denier either. I care because I don't want to see others die for no good reason. I don't think many would die just to go out and karaoke for an evening. Let's take your argument and see what will happen. Sweden did not lock down or change anything, they have had 23,000 infections, have not achieved herd immunity, and have had 2700 deaths due to the virus. That is better than 10%, they have a public health option which we don't, they have paid sick leave which most of us don't have, they publicly support families, which we don't. So when you say people are scared they have a good reason to be. At least 78% of those surveyed said they would not be going out to gyms, movie houses, riding on planes, taking trips, or going to bars and restaurants, the venues who hire karaoke hosts. No crowds, no profits, no reason to go back to work, and put yourself at risk. Are you really willing to put at risk 10% of the population or more just for karaoke?


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:53 pm 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 8:37 am
Posts: 174
Location: Sparks, Maryland
Been Liked: 48 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Bob Latshaw wrote:

Nice attempt at turning this around. You entire argument is that we need to stay put to protect the vulnerable like yourself. Have you changed your mind? If you have nothing to be afraid of, then why do you care if people mingle in public and get this over with sooner rather than later? It's only going to last a long time if everyone is scared like you. Fortunately they're not.



:roll: It is not just a matter of protecting the vulnerable we are all vulnerable you to. Why would I change my mind, I'm siding with the medical professionals and the scientists, I'm not a climate denier either. I care because I don't want to see others die for no good reason. I don't think many would die just to go out and karaoke for an evening. Let's take your argument and see what will happen. Sweden did not lock down or change anything, they have had 23,000 infections, have not achieved herd immunity, and have had 2700 deaths due to the virus. That is better than 10%, they have a public health option which we don't, they have paid sick leave which most of us don't have, they publicly support families, which we don't. So when you say people are scared they have a good reason to be. At least 78% of those surveyed said they would not be going out to gyms, movie houses, riding on planes, taking trips, or going to bars and restaurants, the venues who hire karaoke hosts. No crowds, no profits, no reason to go back to work, and put yourself at risk. Are you really willing to put at risk 10% of the population or more just for karaoke?


If they all are out at karaoke by their own choice, I say a very loud YES! That's what we call freedom. The freedom to risk death is a God given right and shame on you for even thinking we should be forced to be wimps. I don't force you to grow a pair, so stop trying to force me to not use the pair I was given. Not really fair. Plus it's covered under that whole "pursuit of happiness" thing in our constitution.

You're just jealous of all those people who actually have a pair. Sitting home alone sucks a thousand times worse when you know people are out having fun. Is this how your senior prom went? Were you too scared to go so you sat home feeling sorry for yourself? Did your parents convince you that there was a risk of death due to drinking and driving, so instead of being safe in logical ways, you just decided to give up on the whole idea? Am I close?


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:57 pm 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 8:37 am
Posts: 174
Location: Sparks, Maryland
Been Liked: 48 times
oops Repost. It seems the edit function has an issue.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:19 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 4639
Been Liked: 517 times
Bob Latshaw wrote:

If they all are out at karaoke by their own choice, I say a very loud YES! That's what we call freedom. The freedom to risk death is a God given right and shame on you for even thinking we should be forced to be wimps. I don't force you to grow a pair, so stop trying to force me to not use the pair I was given. Not really fair. Plus it's covered under that whole "pursuit of happiness" thing in our constitution.

You're just jealous of all those people who actually have a pair. Sitting home alone sucks a thousand times worse when you know people are out having fun. Is this how your senior prom went? Were you too scared to go so you sat home feeling sorry for yourself? Did your parents convince you that there was a risk of death due to drinking and driving, so instead of being safe in logical ways, you just decided to give up on the whole idea? Am I close?


:!: There is a limit to individual freedom, your have rights that is true, your also have responsibilities as a citizen. Your freedom ends where your actions endanger the public good. You have freedom of speech, but you can't scream fire in a crowded theater, you have the right to run a business, but you can't cause a public health menace doing it, you can run a factory but you can't pollute the local water supply. So with any power comes great responsibility. Just because you have a pair doesn't mean you should be thinking with your pants Bob. It is time to use the head, and listen to the experts. This whole discussion as far as going back to work for many KJ's is moot. Bars and restaurants will be the last to open up, and the full effects of going back to semi normal will not be known until June First, not that far away. Then you can see in real time if it was too soon to go back, just have a little patience.

P.S. Do you mean did my parents love me, and want me safe, yes they did, did yours? My father wasn't happy about my volunteering for the military, but he got over it. I was young and assumed the risk, but what I did was service to the country, not gathering a crowd that could potentially spread a deadly pandemic, there is a difference.


Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Wed May 06, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:01 pm 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 8:37 am
Posts: 174
Location: Sparks, Maryland
Been Liked: 48 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:

:!: There is a limit to individual freedom, your have rights that is true, your also have responsibilities as a citizen. Your freedom ends where your actions endanger the public good. You have freedom of speech, but you can't scream fire in a crowded theater, you have the right to run a business, but you can't cause a public health menace doing it, you can run a factory but you can't pollute the local water supply. So with any power comes great responsibility. Just because you have a pair doesn't mean you should be thinking with your pants Bob. It is time to use the head, and listen to the experts. This whole discussion as far as going back to work for many KJ's is moot. Bars and restaurants will be the last to open up, and the full effects of going back to semi normal will not be known until June First, not that far away. Then you can see in real time if it was too soon to go back, just have a little patience.


Yes, and if we both wear a mask and agree to wash our hands after handling anything in public, we collectively agree that we can be in public together with the odds of you getting sick are low enough to make that judgement call. The same way we go out in public and know we could die in numerous other ways that existed long before COVID-19, and we all collectively agree to take those chances. Those who don't stay home.

With bars and restaurants being the last to reopen, the karaoke singers will be the most ready to get back to their favorite hobby. By that time, a lot of fears should be subsided, unless you live in a state where they make a really bad judgement call and open way too early.

Also, this isn't going to last 2 years here in America like some predict. There's already a working treatment drug and a vaccine that is being fast tracked. Poorer countries are going to be hit the hardest, but I don't see it lasting long enough in America to put too many bars and restaurants completely out of business. Fingers crossed.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:06 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 4639
Been Liked: 517 times
:?: Hopefully they will come up with a vaccine, but at the earliest there is still the Summer, the Fall flu season and past Christmas until it will be ready at the earliest. That is a very rosy scenario, until then we have to deal in the real world. A second flareup will push the total restart time even further ahead, and the economy will be in the second dip of a recession/Depression.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:47 am 
Offline
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 02, 2017 8:37 am
Posts: 174
Location: Sparks, Maryland
Been Liked: 48 times
Either way, a lot of people will still be out of work. Restaurants will be hit pretty hard because most people will need to still eat at home just for cost cutting. Bars are a different story. When times are bad, bars still survive. Sad to say, but a lot of depressed people will spend their last dollar on a beer instead of a sandwich, because a beer can come with someone to listen. For places that used to be half restaurant and the other half bar, I'll think you'll start to see the bar portion begin to take over more floor space. As long as there's an audience in the bars, there will be singers to sing to them. I think you'll be surprised how many people are waiting to get back to karaoke. I think KJs will even see some old faces they haven't seen in years. The karaoke bar is like every other bar in that it's people's place to network in real life. People meet others while they're having a good time and it sometimes leads to people finding jobs or resources they didn't know existed. Despite all of the social media we have these days, people still don't "strike up" conversations on social media like they will at a bar. Actual real life socializing can not be replaced. Combine that with the fact that neither drinking nor singing are going anywhere either, and you can pretty much guarantee that KJs will have work until the end of time.

...and so hopefully this concludes my argument that you shouldn't be telling KJs to think about changing careers. Unlike a lot of people, most will immediately have work available when society reopens in their town. I predict if you are the first KJ to have the first show in your town and you post it or advertise it, I think the place will be sold out. I've talked to other singers and we all agree we're hitting the first show advertised in town. It's like sexual tension. We're all feeling it and it needs to go somewhere ;)


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:15 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 4639
Been Liked: 517 times
:roll: You are right Bob there is no use to argue the matter, it will be settled by events beyond our control. Beer is liquid bread, and for centuries it was considered a staple of many diets. June the 1st is just 3 weeks away and we will know much more about the trajectory of the pandemic by then. The CDC guidelines recommend not opening buffets, and salad bars, spacing tables at a minimum of six feet apart. Restaurants and bars will be the last to open back up for business. If the warm weather keeps the virus in check all well and good. What would really be devastating is when we open back up, the infections start spiking upward. Right now the old hot spots have leveled out, with slight daily increases. The virus is on the move and is starting to spread out to the heartland of the country, cases there are rising. If we adopt more of a Sweden type stance we can expect deaths to increase by double or more. It is just a matter of will we be willing to pay the extra cost in human casualties. Good Luck Bob stay safe.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 144 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech