KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Please help me pick some songs for a karaoke contest! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks


premium-member

Offsite Links


It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:02 am 
Offline
newbie
newbie
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 11:59 pm
Posts: 1
Been Liked: 0 time
I entered a karaoke contest last night to try to qualify for semi-finals, I didn’t get in. I sang Hot Blooded by Foreigner, I thought I was pretty good. Got lots of compliments. My friend did get into semi-finals with Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood. I’m not a huge fan of country at all, I can’t sing that.

I think my friend beat me because of her stage presence, so I need to work on that. I think my song choice might’ve been bad too, even though I nailed it.

I want a song that lots of people know. I can’t really sing my favorite band Muse’s songs because they’re not really well known. The judges judge song choice so I want something they’ll already like.

I want to do New York, New York by Frank Sinatra for the finals. I reaaaally good at that song, I think I’ll nail it. I need to beat this girl who also got into the semi-finals tonight with an Adele song. I can’t really sing Adele, too low.

I need some options for this upcoming qualifying round in 2 weeks. I get 2 more tries to get in, so if I fail in 2 weeks at least I get one more chance in 3.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:42 am 
Offline
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:57 pm
Posts: 22572
Songs: 35
Images: 3
Location: Tacoma, WA
Been Liked: 2008 times
What were the gender of the judges, is your friend cute? Could be a possibility, i've seen that happen first hand in many contests i've seen ran at various different clubs. Just be aware.

That being said when I run contests, I STRESS stage presence can be the make or break between an ok performance and a winning performance. The ones I run are about the whole package. A great singer that just stands there staring at the monitor or blankly staring at the audience will lose almost every time to a decent singer that can work the stage and/or audience.
That being said.........Sinatra - YAWN! Been done to death. If you worked the stage with Hot Blooded, that could have been a winner, if you just stood there, staring at the monitor......

_________________
LIKE Lonman on Facebook - Lonman Productions Karaoke & my main site via my profile!
Image


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:53 am 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 377
Been Liked: 119 times
Stage presence is crucial. It's what takes singing and makes it a performance. I stumbled into and won a karaoke contest because of it, despite not being a great singer (SmoothEdge can verify that I am not Actually Good At Singing), because of working the stage and the audience interaction on a song they weren't expecting a guy who looks like me to do well with--"Let Me Clear My Throat" by DJ Kool.

What is your voice like? What kind of music do you connect with, aside from Muse? What can you cold rock without looking at a screen? What can you make your own?


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:33 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:35 am
Posts: 1918
Been Liked: 416 times
I used to scan a room trying to pick the perfect song for the people in the room and the current mood. Then I'd fear it wasn't the right choice. Crowds smell fear like sharks smell blood in the water.

Pick songs you can nail. Forget about genre. Take arrangements you know inside and out including the lyrics.

Own the song. If you pick Sinatra, do it your way. (get it?). Practice and vary your delivery from his. You are going up against amateurs. Don't lose by going up against Sinatra because you will.

Have fun with the song.

Sell the song.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:14 am 
Online
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 3405
Been Liked: 758 times
Personally, and from my experience with contests, how they're run and how they're judged, I would avoid them altogether.

I have never, that's right, never... seen a contest judged fairly or impartially. All they do is cause anger, frustration and ill feelings.

I know that some of the KJ's here may be an exception to this and actually run a fair contest. They are in the 1% who can run a good contest. The other 99% should be avoided, if you want to keep your sanity.

One of my regular singers recently entered a contest at a competing bar. She was encouraged to enter because she is a really good singer. She's got the voice, she's got the moves, and she's got stage presence. The whole package. So... did she win? Of course not... the owners niece did who can't sing worth a lick.

This is why I don't and won't do them. I hate them with a passion. And take my word for it, this is how 99% of the contests are run.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:57 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:35 am
Posts: 1918
Been Liked: 416 times
Alan B wrote:
Personally, and from my experience with contests, how they're run and how they're judged, I would avoid them altogether.

I have never, that's right, never... seen a contest judged fairly or impartially. All they do is cause anger, frustration and ill feelings.

I know that some of the KJ's here may be an exception to this and actually run a fair contest. They are in the 1% who can run a good contest. The other 99% should be avoided, if you want to keep your sanity.

One of my regular singers recently entered a contest at a competing bar. She was encouraged to enter because she is a really good singer. She's got the voice, she's got the moves, and she's got stage presence. The whole package. So... did she win? Of course not... the owners niece did who can't sing worth a lick.

This is why I don't and won't do them. I hate them with a passion. And take my word for it, this is how 99% of the contests are run.


The question was not, "Do you think karaoke contests are fair?" OK, you don't like contests. I don't either and never ran them or participated in them. But this isn't about your opinion on them or mine. Can you not derail even a single thread?

Most of the advise here can be used with a contest or just performing in general.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:28 am 
Online
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 3405
Been Liked: 758 times
MrBoo wrote:
The question was not, "Do you think karaoke contests are fair?"

You are absolutely correct. However, it seems from his post that this may be his first encounter with entering a contest. So, I think that he should be made aware of the reality of what he can expect.

Meaning...

In most contests, song selection, stage presence, and a great voice mean absolutely nothing. The winner or winners have already been decided. Those are the facts.

So, giving him advice on song selection and working the crowd is great. But he needs to know that none of that really matters 99% of the time. And that it wasn't about your song choice at all. It was about you just weren't as pretty as that hot babe.

Remember, if the KJ has a chance to "score" with that babe, even though she can't sing, who do you think is going to win? Yes, I've seen it so many times.

These are the facts. Knowing this is more important than what song should I sing.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Last edited by Alan B on Mon May 20, 2019 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:29 am 
Online
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 3405
Been Liked: 758 times
But I still wish him luck.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:40 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 4548
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 235 times
Alan B wrote:
Personally, and from my experience with contests, how they're run and how they're judged, I would avoid them altogether.

I have never, that's right, never... seen a contest judged fairly or impartially. All they do is cause anger, frustration and ill feelings.

I know that some of the KJ's here may be an exception to this and actually run a fair contest. They are in the 1% who can run a good contest. The other 99% should be avoided, if you want to keep your sanity.

One of my regular singers recently entered a contest at a competing bar. She was encouraged to enter because she is a really good singer. She's got the voice, she's got the moves, and she's got stage presence. The whole package. So... did she win? Of course not... the owners niece did who can't sing worth a lick.

This is why I don't and won't do them. I hate them with a passion. And take my word for it, this is how 99% of the contests are run.

Normally, I would agree with you but a friend of mine ran a contest that was vocal quality only and how well it would record because the prize two hours of recording time in a professional recording studio with a CD of the finished product.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:55 pm 
Online
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 3405
Been Liked: 758 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
Personally, and from my experience with contests, how they're run and how they're judged, I would avoid them altogether.

I have never, that's right, never... seen a contest judged fairly or impartially. All they do is cause anger, frustration and ill feelings.

I know that some of the KJ's here may be an exception to this and actually run a fair contest. They are in the 1% who can run a good contest. The other 99% should be avoided, if you want to keep your sanity.

One of my regular singers recently entered a contest at a competing bar. She was encouraged to enter because she is a really good singer. She's got the voice, she's got the moves, and she's got stage presence. The whole package. So... did she win? Of course not... the owners niece did who can't sing worth a lick.

This is why I don't and won't do them. I hate them with a passion. And take my word for it, this is how 99% of the contests are run.

Normally, I would agree with you but a friend of mine ran a contest that was vocal quality only and how well it would record because the prize two hours of recording time in a professional recording studio with a CD of the finished product.

Like I said, Danny... there are exceptions. They may be few and far between but nevertheless, sometimes they're done right, which is not very often.

_________________
Electro-Voice Evolve 50... Taking Sound To The Next Level.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:47 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 4548
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 235 times
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
Personally, and from my experience with contests, how they're run and how they're judged, I would avoid them altogether.

I have never, that's right, never... seen a contest judged fairly or impartially. All they do is cause anger, frustration and ill feelings.

I know that some of the KJ's here may be an exception to this and actually run a fair contest. They are in the 1% who can run a good contest. The other 99% should be avoided, if you want to keep your sanity.

One of my regular singers recently entered a contest at a competing bar. She was encouraged to enter because she is a really good singer. She's got the voice, she's got the moves, and she's got stage presence. The whole package. So... did she win? Of course not... the owners niece did who can't sing worth a lick.

This is why I don't and won't do them. I hate them with a passion. And take my word for it, this is how 99% of the contests are run.

Normally, I would agree with you but a friend of mine ran a contest that was vocal quality only and how well it would record because the prize two hours of recording time in a professional recording studio with a CD of the finished product.

Like I said, Danny... there are exceptions. They may be few and far between but nevertheless, sometimes they're done right, which is not very often.

If I were to run a contest, which normally I would try to talk the venue out using the argument that it only attracts fly by contestants who disappear the second the contest is over and chases away regulars that just want to sing and not be compared to any other singers, it would be judged on vocal ability with how well they made the song theirs while they sang it. No points off for deviation from the lyrics on the screen.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: max and 131 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech