KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Worst Karaoke Brands Out There? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:04 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
Gnome Karaoke wrote:
Isn't 10% of 2TB, 2GB not 200Mb

Actually 10% of a 2TB hard drive would be 200GB.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:22 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
max wrote:

Mr boo, just how many tracks do you have? and how much money do you think you have invested in them?

I think it's around 7000-8000 tracks. Paid between $1 and $4 a track. Maybe an average of $2.50. So ballpark of $18,000. I wasn't as smart purchasing early so I eliminated purchasing duplicates early on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:20 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 18 times
MrBoo wrote:
max wrote:

Mr boo, just how many tracks do you have? and how much money do you think you have invested in them?

I think it's around 7000-8000 tracks. Paid between $1 and $4 a track. Maybe an average of $2.50. So ballpark of $18,000. I wasn't as smart purchasing early so I eliminated purchasing duplicates early on.

LORDY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:58 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
max wrote:
MrBoo wrote:
max wrote:

LORDY

I am 2 to 3 times that amount (35 to 45 thousand dollars), and over a period of 25+ years. I have 27,000 unique and 75,000 total ( i have lots of duplicate discs on top of that).

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:45 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
mrmarog wrote:
max wrote:
MrBoo wrote:
max wrote:

LORDY

I am 2 to 3 times that amount (35 to 45 thousand dollars), and over a period of 25+ years. I have 27,000 unique and 75,000 total ( i have lots of duplicate discs on top of that).

Same here, mrmarog. I was an avid karaoke discs collector that started in the late ‘80s; pioneer lasers, sc, dk, mm, ph, th, tt, ah, dm, mh, rs, sf, lg, ps, etc.

You have a lot more. I’d presumably have around 75% of your stock.

Sort of disgusting to think that we burned through thousands of $$ and it cost a pirate a paltry $300 hd to have everything. :evil:

But all things considered, no second thoughts. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:15 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Around 23,000 non-dup'd here and with pushing 38,000 - i purposely tried not to purchase dup's. Most of the discs I bought were about $30 new (15 songs figure $2 per) then purchased downloads from $2-3 each. Probably into my meager collection around $60,000-70,000.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:56 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
Gnome Karaoke wrote:

Actually, I think it's 200 GB, but who is countying?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:18 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
RLC wrote:
Gnome Karaoke wrote:

Actually 10% of a 2TB hard drive would be 200GB.

KJKILLER wrote:
Gnome Karaoke wrote:

Actually, I think it's 200 GB, but who is countying?

I think RLC beat you to it :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:10 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
i think i have about 10,000 unique tracks, most on discs.

My estimate is that if i had to start from scratch, assuming i could find everything it would cost me $20,000 canadian. Sad that i can't even get 5k with all the equipment and cords thrown in. *mumble*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:47 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
max wrote:
MrBoo wrote:
max wrote:

LORDY

Welp, it may sound like a lot, but I am OK with it. The system is broken but that doesn't mean it's OK to not follow the rules. By purchasing as I did, those who own the IP should have received their share. Whether they did or not isn't something I can control so I can't dwell on that. The one way you can be sure they do not get their cut from usage is to buy pirated material.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:27 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

MrBoo wrote:
The one way you can be sure they do not get their cut from usage is to buy pirated material.
This is a fact and one of the biggest reasons certain publishers are restricting karaoke in most cases.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:16 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
I'm closing in on $30,000 spent with still under 9,000 unique songs to show for it. And I steadfastly avoided dups back in the day, spent tons of hours on comparison shopping to try to avoid them, but still ended up buying a disc here and there to get a couple songs I "had" to get for someone, even though I owned a version of every other song on the same disc already.

So counting what I spent on dups, I paid very nearly $3 per song to end up with the unique songs I have. That's why I don't blink to spend $2.99 for an on-the-fly download today -- I figure I'm not wasting $42 on songs no one asked for to get that one song someone actually wants.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
Elementary Penguin wrote:
I don't blink to spend $2.99 for an on-the-fly download today -- I figure I'm not wasting $42 on songs no one asked for to get that one song someone actually wants.

There was a time, not that long ago, where I would purchase every karaoke disc I could get my hands on. Stores, pawn shops, Kijiji... wherever. I probably kept at least eleven music stores in business (Alright, that's a slight exaggeration.). But not so today.

Nowadays, I don't buy anything unless I've heard it on the radio, and like it or know it would be popular... or its been requested by a patron, in which case I'll make a note to purchase and, if available from an on-line distributor (my "go to" is Karaoke Version), I'll have it for the next show. I don't do on-the-fly downloads during shows, and my singers are usually OK with that.

My library holds at least a gazillion songs from those original discs that have never, nor will likely ever be played. A lot of money gone to waste. I don't do that anymore.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:33 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

mrmarog wrote:
MrBoo wrote:
Or, Actually buy the tracks the right way.... No one who actually purchased the tracks has this third world problem.

I wasn't going to bring it up, but now that MrBoo did: Max, where did you get all the lousy tracks that you want to delete?

Hi, I bought them from someone right here on this site...go figure huh..

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:38 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

If I'm to believe pretty much everyone on this site, each person invest around 20 to $30.000 for their tracks yet only charge what? 175 to $200.00 a gig? NOT counting equip..is that about right?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:24 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Earl wrote:
Nowadays, I don't buy anything unless I've heard it on the radio, and like it or know it would be popular
Ha if I did that, i'd never buy another song again as I don't really listen to the radio any longer.

Quote:
My library holds at least a gazillion songs from those original discs that have never, nor will likely ever be played. A lot of money gone to waste. I don't do that anymore.

Yep but on the flip side you never know what is going to be used. I have songs from discs I bought in the mid 90's that never started getting used until fairly recently (within a few years). I primarily buy only on request now - the night most of the time, 99% guarantee it will be sung at least the one time. When I used to wait and buy it to bring it in the next time, OVER half the time the singer that requested it no longer wanted to sing it. Buying on the fly definitely helped in that respect.
Only time I buy songs just to have is a basic monthly (or tri monthly) update from Zoom or Mr Entertainer just to keep current tracks on hand, and when an artist passes - I will buy up all I can find from that artist. Prince and David Bowie nearly killed me lol.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:46 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Earl wrote:
Nowadays, I don't buy anything unless I've heard it on the radio, and like it or know it would be popular... or its been requested by a patron, in which case I'll make a note to purchase and, if available from an on-line distributor (my "go to" is Karaoke Version), I'll have it for the next show. I don't do on-the-fly downloads during shows, and my singers are usually OK with that.

Amen! Here's how I usually decide on new songs...

Each month I will check out Billboard's Top 100. I will look at their standing on the chart, popularity and ranking. Then I will sample the ones I think have potential. Usually, most of them are already available from Karaoke Version, SBI, etc. If I like the way they sound, I'll get them. I usually have a good ear for potential hit songs.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:37 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
[Waving to max] Yep, another one right here. $27k spent on music, and I haven't got a bar to pay $200 in almost ten years. $150 is those most these days.

I don't listen to the radio anymore either. Luckily I have a few trustworthy regulars who do, and when they say buy a song it pans out nicely. I buy it on the fly, they sing it, someone goes "Wow, you have that already?!?", and then they want to sing it next show. The hot ticket right now are songs from the new musical "Six". KV has them. I'd never even heard of the show a month ago, and now one or two are being sung at every show, and the audiences are loving them.

And my wife tells me what to buy -- she's never wrong :)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
The hot ticket right now are songs from the new musical "Six". KV has them. I'd never even heard of the show a month ago, and now one or two are being sung at every show, and the audiences are loving them.

Two songs from Six: The Musical were requested at my show last night. ‘downloaded on the fly: “No Way” (upbeat tempo) and “Haus of Holbein” (hi-energy). Good songs.

The lady who sang ‘Haus’ did an excellent performance, her German accent and a bit of showmanship that brought the house down. I have no clue about the musical ‘till I googled it this morning. It’s the modern retelling of the lives of King Henry VIII’s ill-fated wives; divorced, beheaded, died, survived. :lol: Funny musical.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:39 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

[Waving to max] Yep, another one right here. $27k spent on music, and I haven't got a bar to pay $200 in almost ten years. $150 is those most these days.

I don't listen to the radio anymore either. Luckily I have a few trustworthy regulars who do, and when they say buy a song it pans out nicely. I buy it on the fly, they sing it, someone goes "Wow, you have that already?!?", and then they want to sing it next show. The hot ticket right now are songs from the new musical "Six". KV has them. I'd never even heard of the show a month ago, and now one or two are being sung at every show, and the audiences are loving them.

And my wife tells me what to buy -- she's never wrong :)

hi, ty for the reply, I guess that's my point...27,000 in tracks BUT how much in equip? 2,000? 3,000? wouldn't you think it should be the other way around? around my area most host spend a few hundred bucks on equip then charge 100.00 with a few hundred in tracks..then when it fails and someone comes around asking to host karaoke they say, oh sorry we tried it but it didn't work out...when the truth is it never had a chance...just Watered down karaoke...