KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - YOUTUBE...KARAOKE Show Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks


premium-member

Offsite Links


It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: YOUTUBE...KARAOKE Show
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:44 pm 
Offline
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:24 am
Posts: 16
Been Liked: 0 time
I went into a bar that had recently started karaoke tonight..only to find they are using youtube to do it....I just shook my head and walked out


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:58 pm 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 2583
Been Liked: 570 times
You will find that 95% of the people who host karaoke are low life scum.

_________________
"Bud Light is good"


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:10 am 
Offline
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:57 pm
Posts: 22077
Songs: 35
Images: 3
Location: Tacoma, WA
Been Liked: 1792 times
Getting more and more common these days. :roll:

_________________
LIKE Lonman on Facebook - Lonman Productions Karaoke & my main site via my profile!
Image


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:59 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 3220
Been Liked: 331 times
Alan B wrote:
You will find that 95% of the people who host karaoke are low life scum.



8) Alan sounds like you and Jim H. are on the same page. :roll: :roll: :roll:


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:45 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 2583
Been Liked: 570 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Alan B wrote:
You will find that 95% of the people who host karaoke are low life scum.



8) Alan sounds like you and Jim H. are on the same page. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Let's put it another way. Aside from being a karaoke host, I am also a singer. I have gone to many, many, many karaoke bars. And of all the places I've visited, I can count on one hand how many of those hosts were good.

Most of them were nothing more than "name callers", with the personality of a flea, using terrible equipment (think Radio Shack), and of course, terrible sound. And let's not forget operating illegally. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is your average karaoke host.

In fact, it's one of the reasons that I started my own karaoke business. Because I knew I could do better than any of them and provide quality entertainment that no one else is offering.

Using YouTube to run karaoke is just another example of a low life host. This is not a true business man, this is just another deplorable.

You, me, and most of the other regulars on this forum may be in the 5% of legal hosts that know how to run a successful show. As far as the other 95%, total trash.

_________________
"Bud Light is good"


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:58 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 3220
Been Liked: 331 times
Alan B wrote:

You, me, and most of the other regulars on this forum may be in the 5% of legal hosts that know how to run a successful show. As far as the other 95%, total trash.



8) What does that buy you in the real world? If 95% of the hosts are illegal and terrible why are there so many packed pirate venues? There can be terrible legal hosts as well. The point is Alan there is no rhyme or reason to hosting. I got in made mine and got out, I feel for anyone that tries to be a host, it is not an easy job. In today's hosting environment, I really respect any host who is trying to support themselves on hosting alone.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:56 am 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:50 pm
Posts: 584
Location: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Been Liked: 240 times
I'm not sure that terms like "trash" and "scum" and "low-life" are always entirely appropriate.. I'm sure there are new, and particularly young hosts who are simply ignorant of the law and of what constitutes quality equipment.

I'd suggest that, in those cases, education might sometimes be the answer. Perhaps an introduction to these forums might help point some of them in the right direction, rather than dismiss them with name-calling.

It seems to me that not a week goes by that I don't have to explain why I do not and can not use YouTube as a music source.. These folks don't mean any harm... they simply don't know any better.

_________________
Earl
(BS, PHD & Certified CurmuDJeon)

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 2583
Been Liked: 570 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Alan B wrote:

You, me, and most of the other regulars on this forum may be in the 5% of legal hosts that know how to run a successful show. As far as the other 95%, total trash.



8) What does that buy you in the real world? If 95% of the hosts are illegal and terrible why are there so many packed pirate venues?


Here's two reasons...

One reason is convenience. Most folks who drink, want to stay local and go to the bar that's closest to where they live, even though the karaoke may be inferior. And even though there may be a killer karaoke bar that's 15 or 20 minutes away, they don't want to take the chance on getting pulled over on the way home so they stay local.

The other reason is their friends. They may have friends who go to that bar, even though they may not sing, that they want to hang with.

So, just because the place is packed, doesn't always mean the karaoke is good.

_________________
"Bud Light is good"


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:36 am 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 2583
Been Liked: 570 times
Earl wrote:
These folks don't mean any harm... they simply don't know any better.

I'm sorry Earl but I have to disagree with this statement. We're talking about young adults 20's to 30's.

Now, I was brought up knowing the difference between right and wrong. I'm sure you were too.

I am sure that everyone on the planet knows that recording artists make money from the sales of their CD's. They are not doing this for free.

You can't tell me that even someone with half a brain wouldn't question it and think it's OK to get their favorite artists music without paying for it. Doesn't it occur to them that if they can get this music for free, how are they supporting the artists? And that they're stealing from them what they deserve compensation for. And that maybe it's wrong.

Earl, don't be so naive. These kids aren't stupid. They know that music isn't free and artists make their living from recording albums. They are just trying to get over. No different than a pirate.

_________________
"Bud Light is good"


Last edited by Alan B on Fri May 04, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:56 am 
Offline
Super Poster
Super Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:40 pm
Posts: 1033
Images: 1
Been Liked: 194 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
... In today's hosting environment, I really respect any host who is trying to support themselves on hosting alone.


I'll accept your respect and raise you an acknowledgement of your success as well. :-)

_________________
Never the same show twice!


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 4555
Location: Phoenix Az
Been Liked: 1017 times
Alan B wrote:
Here's two reasons...

One reason is convenience. Most folks who drink, want to stay local and go to the bar that's closest to where they live, even though the karaoke may be inferior. And even though there may be a killer karaoke bar that's 15 or 20 minutes away, they don't want to take the chance on getting pulled over on the way home so they stay local.

The other reason is their friends. They may have friends who go to that bar, even though they may not sing, that they want to hang with.

So, just because the place is packed, doesn't always mean the karaoke is good.

but doesn't this also mean that your top quality more expensive show 15-20 minutes away does nothing?
it's not enough to get the drinkers who can't stray too far out of DUI fears, and the friends that son't sing override your quality.
in light of this, would you not be better off buying radio shack cheap gear and playing youtube in a bar that people got to instead?

i have the same mindset as you, better quality, better gear, legal selection, personality, etc. but have often wondered the same, it's kinda funny the realization from closer regulars...

regular: you should talk to bar xyz, their karaoke SUCKS!!
me: maybe they just had a bad night
regular: it's always bad, the youtube isn't as clear, the sound sucks, the mics cut out...every week it's the same.
me: so you go back every week
regular: yeah, the drinks are dirt cheap, you should talk to them and make karaoke better.
me: i know who runs it, i charge more than they do
regular: but you are so much better, why would they NOT pay more for better?
me: well, the owners want people in there drinking and singing, would you show up every week drinking and singing if i was there?
regular: oh hell yeah!
me: are you already there every week drinking and singing with the cheaper karaoke host?
regular: yea.....oh......
me: *smile* *shrug*

_________________
Paradigm Karaoke, The New Standard.......Shift Happens


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:43 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 3220
Been Liked: 331 times
Alan B wrote:

Here's two reasons...

One reason is convenience. Most folks who drink, want to stay local and go to the bar that's closest to where they live, even though the karaoke may be inferior. And even though there may be a killer karaoke bar that's 15 or 20 minutes away, they don't want to take the chance on getting pulled over on the way home so they stay local.

The other reason is their friends. They may have friends who go to that bar, even though they may not sing, that they want to hang with.

So, just because the place is packed, doesn't always mean the karaoke is good.


8) So Alan if we accept your two reasons of why pirate venues are packed, location and social comfort zones, all of the other things that you hold so near and dear mean very little. Better equipment, better hosting skills, large legal library etc. etc. etc. The quest for the better speaker or anything else is trumped by closeness both geographically and socially. Just like I found out about dieting, I used to think diet and exercise were 50/50. I have since found out diet is 95% and exercise is only really 5%. Also there is the family history and genetics which make up 70% of why you gain weight, before you start any weight loss program. I have struggled with my weight all my adult life, just like hosting was a struggle, nothing is easy, it just looks that way.

P.S. Alan does it really matter if the karaoke is good or terrible to the venue owner? As long a the place is packed and the host is not costing an arm and a leg, or acting DIVA, they don't care.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:18 pm 
Offline
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:24 pm
Posts: 2583
Been Liked: 570 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
P.S. Alan does it really matter if the karaoke is good or terrible to the venue owner?

To some owners, absolutely yes. They've learned from past experiences and are now aware (some of them) what constitutes good karaoke.

One venue that I'm presently at knows what bad karaoke is all about. When I took over at that place, sales on karaoke night have gone up 40%. By the same token, they will only bring in the best bands in the area. But first, they will go see them playing somewhere else to check them out. If they don't meet their high quality entertainment standards, they won't hire them. This place WILL spend the money for quality. So, Yes, there are some bar owners that really do care about the entertainment they are offering, although it's rare.

_________________
"Bud Light is good"


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:15 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am
Posts: 3220
Been Liked: 331 times
Alan B wrote:
To some owners, absolutely yes. They've learned from past experiences and are now aware (some of them) what constitutes good karaoke.

One venue that I'm presently at knows what bad karaoke is all about. When I took over at that place, sales on karaoke night have gone up 40%. By the same token, they will only bring in the best bands in the area. But first, they will go see them playing somewhere else to check them out. If they don't meet their high quality entertainment standards, they won't hire them. This place WILL spend the money for quality. So, Yes, there are some bar owners that really do care about the entertainment they are offering, although it's rare.



8) If when you took over there was a 40% increase in business, the place was not packed, and there was room for improvement. If we accept yours and Jim H's view that 95% of the hosts are less than standard, then really only 5% of the venue owners could hire legal professional karaoke hosts,even if that is what they want. The law of supply and demand takes over and that is where the other 95% comes in. I think we all know that with most venues the first place always cut is entertainment, not the last. That business being business, if you are getting the host cheap and your business is booming, you are not going to rock the boat.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DannyG2006, sanj and 87 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech