KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Song library for home use Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

   
  * Login
  * Register

  * FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks


premium-member

Offsite Links


It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:21 pm 
Offline
newbie
newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:12 am
Posts: 5
Been Liked: 0 time
First of all, I want to thank all of the contributors to this board for their invaluable information. I have recently purchased a home karaoke system (Bose L1 Compact with Tonematch and GTD G-787 wireless mics) based on the recommendations contained in this forum.

My plan as far as a music source was to use a streaming app such as Karafun/Karaoke Channel/Red Karaoke. However, I want to take my system with me on a vacation where internet service is spotty at best. I have diligently read this forum and found many recommendations on how to build a music library for commercial use, however, does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to build a library for home use? I have come across some Ebay sellers and other websites that offer what I'm looking for, but their legitimacy seems dubious. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:34 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 4308
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 199 times
If you are bringing a laptop with you, then you can get a decent library from eBay purchasing the Zoom MP3+ G discs. No conversion necessary just copy and paste from the discs to the folder you want to use to store them on your laptop or external drive. You want to get MP3 Tag to make sure that the tags are uniform. I believe that KaraFun will read the MP3 Tags on the songs. There are about 14 discs out there that contain a wide range of genres with 100 songs on a disc. MR Entertainer has some of those types of discs as well.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:48 pm 
Offline
newbie
newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:12 am
Posts: 5
Been Liked: 0 time
Thanks. I will definitely check them out as I am bringing a laptop with me expressly for karaoke. Any thoughts on Ebay sellers who are selling hard drives with karaoke songs on them?


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:00 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 4308
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 199 times
Unless they are providing the discs with them or they are the Chartbuster 12,000 song drives, totally illegal. If you are unsure, send a message to the seller and ask them if it's one or the other.
If they say it's the Chartbuster drive ask them to put up the certificate that came with the drive and include it with the drive.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:39 pm 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:39 am
Posts: 1634
Images: 2
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada
Been Liked: 159 times
CB Hard drives are no longer valid according to Pep.

Karafun personal subscription lets you download 2000 tracks for offline use.
Red karaoke requires internet.

Amazon has SCDG disks cheap... start there. tracks for as little as .05cents per track. DK mellenium disks, etc.


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:16 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 4308
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 199 times
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
CB Hard drives are no longer valid according to Pep.

Karafun personal subscription lets you download 2000 tracks for offline use.
Red karaoke requires internet.

Amazon has SCDG disks cheap... start there. tracks for as little as .05cents per track. DK mellenium disks, etc.

Then that means I am running illegally considering I paid for the original KJMedia a Pro when Chartbuster was the manufacturer. But here's the rub, I combined all of my Chartbuster tracks and don't know what came from the drive, actual CD media or SCDGS and I don't intend to delete all of the Chartbuster tracks just because I can't remember what is what.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:25 pm 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:39 am
Posts: 1634
Images: 2
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada
Been Liked: 159 times
i'm just going by what I read on the pep site when they mentioned all those 12000+ CB hard drives expired. So yeah... they worthless... to think I was gonna shell out $2000.00 to buy one. sorry for the news but...

The good news is:

1) the drive contained 320bit quality tracks so you can replace those tracks with the ones you acquired from the Super CDG disks but still have the SCDG disks registered under Pep website.

2) same goes with SD cards that are still legal tracks.

3) same with CB Disks that are still legal tracks.

what sucks is the 12000+ hard drive doesn't properly name each track via manufacture code.

4) on another note, I picked up the SD card 10 disk set for $700.00 on ebay, i'm sure there are more listed. (4500 songs @ approx $0.17 cents /song)

Those Library drives that were released by CB had a registered company name on the non removable sticker (Just sayin' if there is no company sticker with your name on it, chances are you bought a copy)


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:12 pm 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am
Posts: 4308
Songs: 1
Location: Watebrury, CT
Been Liked: 199 times
The drive they were originally on has a Chartbuster sticker referring to the serial number of the drive. I have had it since 2011. I only unlocked a small amount when Chartbuster went under. It's too bad Norbert didn't hand over all the info on who had what serial numbered drive. It would make it easier for PEP to know what was legal and what wasn't.

_________________
The Line Array Experiment is over. Nothing to see here. Move along.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:24 pm 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:16 pm
Posts: 1962
Location: HIgh River, AB
Been Liked: 257 times
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
CB Hard drives are no longer valid according to Pep.

Karafun personal subscription lets you download 2000 tracks for offline use.
Red karaoke requires internet.

Amazon has SCDG disks cheap... start there. tracks for as little as .05cents per track. DK mellenium disks, etc.


If someone is selling an original chartbuster drive with the serial # certificate, then for home use, i don't think PEP could really do anything about it. Be too much of a waste of resources.

As for using it in a show.. I say if you have the serial # certificate, who the hell cares.

-James


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:16 am 
Offline
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:39 am
Posts: 1634
Images: 2
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada
Been Liked: 159 times
Quote:
What is a Chartbuster Certification document?
When the original owner of the Chartbuster Karaoke trademarks established its media-shifting policy, it issued certificates to certified operators as evidence of the certification. These certification documents usually had expiration dates (and all of those, we believe, are now expired), but some permanent certification documents were issued. To qualify for free or reduced-price registration based on having one of these certificates, you will need to upload a legible copy of your certification document in an acceptable file format. If you have access to a scanner, that's the best way to convert a physical certificate to a digital copy (we recommend setting the resolution to 300dpi minimum). But if you don't, most digital cameras (and many smartphone cameras) will produce an image that is sufficiently high-resolution to make a legible image, and that's fine to use, also. If what you can produce is borderline, upload it anyway, and we'll let you know if we need more.


Source: https://pep.rocks/faq.php#faq_cb

WOW!!! on another note I just searched Chartbuster SD Cards on ebay and noticed a set of 1-6 CB sd cards 2700 songs listed for just $99.00 (That's a great deal but for USA only) That's just $0.04 cents per track. :lol:


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:38 am 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:18 am
Posts: 398
Been Liked: 234 times
Hmmmm $.04 per track! The last time I checked even a compulsory mechanical is $.091 per track. My average royalty was around $.14 per track for karaoke "sync" with "favored nations" clauses plus often times "fixing fees". Unless the producer/seller got an unheard of licensing deal, on the surface it would seem that either a) the producer/seller is taking a huge loss or b) is simply not paying the royalties. If the latter is the case it doesn't necessarily mean that the tracks are unlicensed. That would depend largely on the terms of the license agreement.

It does beg the question however as to whether a buyer of this product turns a "blind eye" to these realities, investigates further, sees no complicity if upon further investigation it is discovered that these tracks were either not licensed originally or in violation of the licensing agreement rendering them unlicensed, or are indifferent and don't care one way or another. I'm not passing judgment here but truly curious as to how most buyers view this.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:46 am 
Offline
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:59 am
Posts: 3011
Been Liked: 1003 times
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
Quote:
What is a Chartbuster Certification document?
When the original owner of the Chartbuster Karaoke trademarks established its media-shifting policy, it issued certificates to certified operators as evidence of the certification. These certification documents usually had expiration dates (and all of those, we believe, are now expired), but some permanent certification documents were issued. To qualify for free or reduced-price registration based on having one of these certificates, you will need to upload a legible copy of your certification document in an acceptable file format. If you have access to a scanner, that's the best way to convert a physical certificate to a digital copy (we recommend setting the resolution to 300dpi minimum). But if you don't, most digital cameras (and many smartphone cameras) will produce an image that is sufficiently high-resolution to make a legible image, and that's fine to use, also. If what you can produce is borderline, upload it anyway, and we'll let you know if we need more.


Source: https://pep.rocks/faq.php#faq_cb


You're misreading this.

If you have a legitimate CB drive, that drive is considered by PEP to be "original media" and you are welcome to use it, whether you register it or not. (If you are using the original drive, you can even have a CB registration for free.)

The section you quoted has to do with CB-issued "certification," which generally expired after a set amount of time (although not always). If you have an expired certificate, you qualify for a reduced fee to register your CB original media with PEP ($25 vs. $50). If the certificate is unexpired, there is no fee for registration.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:14 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:49 am
Posts: 462
Been Liked: 117 times
Bastiat wrote:
Hmmmm $.04 per track! The last time I checked even a compulsory mechanical is $.091 per track. My average royalty was around $.14 per track for karaoke "sync" with "favored nations" clauses plus often times "fixing fees". Unless the producer/seller got an unheard of licensing deal, on the surface it would seem that either a) the producer/seller is taking a huge loss or b) is simply not paying the royalties. If the latter is the case it doesn't necessarily mean that the tracks are unlicensed. That would depend largely on the terms of the license agreement.

It does beg the question however as to whether a buyer of this product turns a "blind eye" to these realities, investigates further, sees no complicity if upon further investigation it is discovered that these tracks were either not licensed originally or in violation of the licensing agreement rendering them unlicensed, or are indifferent and don't care one way or another. I'm not passing judgment here but truly curious as to how most buyers view this.


Assuming that everything Chartbuster did with these SCDG's was legal at the time (paid royalties, etc.). I see it just as old stock that is being dumped by retailers who may have paid more for it in the past and can't sell it at the original cost.

When these sets came out they were a LOT more money. But time, saturation, pirating, etc means that these sets are desired only by home users and new KJs who want to add filler to their songbooks.

New karaoke production does costs more. I look almost every day on Karaoke-Version for new items that they release. I will gladly pay the $3/song per rig so people can sing them ASAP. I usually get my money's worth for buying tracks while they are hot, as opposed to waiting for it to make it to a CD.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:24 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:18 am
Posts: 398
Been Liked: 234 times
It is possible that the CB tracks being dumped at $.04/track is a result of overstock. Like I said however SOMEBODY is taking a hit on this. Either the producer, the seller or the publisher. If I were a betting man (which I'm not), I'd bet that these are not being sold by an authorized dealer who bought these at a much higher wholesale price, but I wouldn't rule out that possibility. I can only judge from my own products and there are a lot of "new" discs of my brand on eBay but I've yet to recognize a single authorized dealer selling them.

Karaoke Version is indeed making some really nice sound recordings as of late. Well they're actually outsourced, but no matter they're commissioning some very serious work so I think in most cases they're definitely worth the $3/track.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:07 am 
Offline
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:57 pm
Posts: 22326
Songs: 35
Images: 3
Location: Tacoma, WA
Been Liked: 1914 times
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:

Source: https://pep.rocks/faq.php#faq_cb

WOW!!! on another note I just searched Chartbuster SD Cards on ebay and noticed a set of 1-6 CB sd cards 2700 songs listed for just $99.00 (That's a great deal but for USA only) That's just $0.04 cents per track. :lol:
If you actually did a little research, they (ie PEP) have stated the HD's from CB are considered original media and are not subject to what you are suggesting.

_________________
LIKE Lonman on Facebook - Lonman Productions Karaoke & my main site via my profile!
Image


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:07 am 
Offline
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:57 pm
Posts: 22326
Songs: 35
Images: 3
Location: Tacoma, WA
Been Liked: 1914 times
JimHarrington wrote:

You're misreading this.

If you have a legitimate CB drive, that drive is considered by PEP to be "original media" and you are welcome to use it, whether you register it or not. (If you are using the original drive, you can even have a CB registration for free.)

The section you quoted has to do with CB-issued "certification," which generally expired after a set amount of time (although not always). If you have an expired certificate, you qualify for a reduced fee to register your CB original media with PEP ($25 vs. $50). If the certificate is unexpired, there is no fee for registration.

Never mind, here is the answer from the horses mouth!

_________________
LIKE Lonman on Facebook - Lonman Productions Karaoke & my main site via my profile!
Image


Top
 Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:55 am 
Offline
Novice Poster
Novice Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 12
Been Liked: 0 time
I only do Karaoke for Home Use myself. The sets I have are:
- Chartbusters Essentials E1-E4 SCDG discs (will get 5 and 6 eventually)
- DK Millennium 1 + 2 SCDG discs

If you are looking for family stuff, all of the newer Disney CDG karaoke discs are pretty awesome. Some of the older ones have MIDI stuff and aren't as good. Mary Poppins one seems to have the direct backing tracks from the movie, as do many of the newer ones.

Party Tyme karaoke discs and/or downloads are pretty good as well. You can usually find them on Karaoke.net for download but, the CDGs can be found in a variety of places.

Hope this helps.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:09 pm 
Offline
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:49 am
Posts: 462
Been Liked: 117 times
ctlw83 wrote:
I only do Karaoke for Home Use myself. The sets I have are:
- Chartbusters Essentials E1-E4 SCDG discs (will get 5 and 6 eventually)
- DK Millennium 1 + 2 SCDG discs

If you are looking for family stuff, all of the newer Disney CDG karaoke discs are pretty awesome. Some of the older ones have MIDI stuff and aren't as good. Mary Poppins one seems to have the direct backing tracks from the movie, as do many of the newer ones.

Party Tyme karaoke discs and/or downloads are pretty good as well. You can usually find them on Karaoke.net for download but, the CDGs can be found in a variety of places.

Hope this helps.


Zoom karaoke makes some great sets, if you don't mind waiting for a few weeks as they sell from UK. The Mega pack of 500 songs goes between $60-$100, and many of the Zoom smaller sets are about $20-$40.


Top
 Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 152 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Privacy Policy | Anti-Spam Policy | Acceptable Use Policy Copyright © Karaoke Scene Magazine
design & hosting by Cross Web Tech