KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - 2017 Tony Awards ( Broadway ) and Karaoke Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:19 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
GeminiMALE40 wrote:
By a statement like that ..you must not know anything about Broadway...Hamilton Tickets right now are $250-$300. and from the information from a friend in new yok there is a three month waiting list to see this show still....and tickets are hard to get...more people will be able to see this show ..due to the fact it will be going on tour soon

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
Paul McCartney tickets sell for even more than Hamilton tickets and he's been filling stadiums since the 1960's. Billy Joel sells out Madison Square Garden every month and he's been doing it for decades. Hamilton will never generate the kind of money that even Taylor Swift generates in a year.

What does it matter how much something makes? If my singers want it, I will buy it. As long as my bar is happy, I will spend money on what they want.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:52 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 64 times
I love when I here people say well if they ask for it Ill get it...don't want to waste money...but yet these same people will go waste money on beer..cigs..and think nothing of it. I would rather spend my money on music then that stuff...but then again that's me...any way enough time debate over this...lol..moving on

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:31 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Yep and if I have a $100 (just a figure for an example, i've often spent more) a week to spend on music, it's going to be on music people actually ask for, want and sing, not what I HOPE they sing. But that's just me. And people can look at my online stuff all day long :mrgreen: I don't hide or make them come in to 'see what i have' lol

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:51 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Lonman wrote:
Yep and if I have a $100 (just a figure for an example, i've often spent more) a week to spend on music, it's going to be on music people actually ask for, want and sing, not what I HOPE they sing. But that's just me. And people can look at my online stuff all day long :mrgreen: I don't hide or make them come in to 'see what i have' lol

Im not hiding anything...I don't like online book..but that's just me

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:54 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

It's just an option for those who do like them. I offer the option of print books, online and phone apps! They all get used. The beauty of the 2 latter, people can and do search from home and have their songs ready when they come in. The phone app is even better because they can also save songs in their own favorites folder they would like to try and track which songs they've sung.
But that's just me! Options are a great thing IMO - especially in this day and age.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
IF i WENT TO A SHOW WHERE MOST OF THE SONGS BEING SUNG WERE BROADWAY SHOW TUNES; I'D FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO SING. If I saw an advertisement stating that a particular venue was famous for having the largest selection of Show Tunes; I would know that it was a place that I probably would not enjoy spending my time at...but that's just me. I'd rather listen to songs by the Beatles and The Rolling Stones all night.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:27 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

We don't get much Stones or Beatles too much - occasionally, mostly 70's-2000's rock/pop/alternative/country. Although last night had an older gentleman in and wanted to sing some Perry Como, Dean Martin, Sinatra - which I didn't have on hand the Como & Martin songs, but guess what, he asked and I bought, he sang and was happy :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:45 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Karaoke Croaker wrote:
Hamilton will never generate the kind of money that even Taylor Swift generates in a year.

According to nytimes.com: Months ago, “Hamilton” recouped the $12.5 million it cost to mount. It is now making an estimated $600,000 a week in profit, and every indication is that its touring productions, which begin in Chicago in September and in San Francisco next March, will be highly profitable, too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/thea ... .html?_r=0

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:43 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

And still it's only requested at a few select karaoke shows.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

According to this web site http://www.the-numbers.com/person/26884 ... ab=summary Taylor swift generated 350 million dollars at the box office. I'm betting that more Taylor Swift songs get sung at karaoke shows than songs from Hamilton...except at "certain venues", and I guess we all know what that is code for.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm not into Broadway tunes or Hip Hop music so Hamilton is a double negative for me. Maybe it will run on Broadway for 20 years and I hope it does. I just won't ever go to see it. I'd rather hang out with a bunch of beer drinkin' Toby Keith fans. To each his own.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:30 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 36 times
I know a guy who sings Modern Major General every time I see him at karaoke!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYZM__VdEjk

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:39 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
70’s (classic rock) is by far my favorite in terms of music. I’m not a fan of broadway show tunes either, but I have a bunch of ‘em in my library. I won’t hesitate to buy any songs regardless of genre if requested. I’m just pointing the fact that Hamilton is no small fry when it comes to making money.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:52 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Brian A wrote:
70’s (classic rock) is by far my favorite in terms of music (actually 80s/90's for me). I’m not a fan of broadway show tunes either, but I have a bunch of ‘em in my library. I won’t hesitate to buy any songs regardless of genre if requested. I’m just pointing the fact that Hamilton is no small fry when it comes to making money.
Same here!
Agree about the money part, but how much a show makes doesn't really matter in terms of whether people ask to sing them or not.

Our crowds like to try obscure stuff (or simply not overdone songs) a lot of the time
Here are some of rarities that were sung last night

Season Of The Witch - Donovan
You Get What You Give - New Radicals
Heavy Fuel - Dire Strait
Hard Rains Gonna Fall - Bob Dylan
Got My Mojo Workin - Muddy Waters
Good Fortune - PJ Harvey
Street Spirit - Radiohead
Zero - Smashing Pumpkins
Apeman - Kinks
Kids In America - Kim Wilde
Sign Of The Times - Harry Styles
Dance This Mess Around - B52's
Sympathy - Goo Goo Dolls
Alcohol - Barenaked Ladies
Play That Song - Train
Hollow - Pantera

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:57 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

whats really I find funny is that of the KJ that put down the broadway genre but KV keeps putting them out which must mean there requests for that genre,,,and no not all my requests either

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If you're in the Karaoke Production Business and you have a band at your disposal; you might as well try a little bit of everything and see what sells. If the guy who runs KV is into show tunes; maybe he is the one who decides that the songs from Hamilton get made. Maybe he doesn't care if they sell well because he wants them for himself? Maybe he makes enough money on the other songs that they make so he doesn't care about making some songs that will never sell well. If someone brought their own disc to my show and they had songs from Hamilton on the disc; I would certainly allow them to sing whatever they wanted to sing.... but I wouldn't go out and buy those songs for my show because I'd rather not hear them. Broadway show tunes appeal to a certain demographic and it's a very small part of the general population. If I had people asking me for those songs at my shows; I think I would just tell them that I had no intention of buying them so they would have to buy them for their own private collection. Just not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:24 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
If you're in the Karaoke Production Business and you have a band at your disposal; you might as well try a little bit of everything and see what sells. If the guy who runs KV is into show tunes; maybe he is the one who decides that the songs from Hamilton get made. Maybe he doesn't care if they sell well because he wants them for himself? Maybe he makes enough money on the other songs that they make so he doesn't care about making some songs that will never sell well. If someone brought their own disc to my show and they had songs from Hamilton on the disc; I would certainly allow them to sing whatever they wanted to sing.... but I wouldn't go out and buy those songs for my show because I'd rather not hear them. Broadway show tunes appeal to a certain demographic and it's a very small part of the general population. If I had people asking me for those songs at my shows; I think I would just tell them that I had no intention of buying them so they would have to buy them for their own private collection. Just not my cup of tea.

and I quote...what you just said..."I WOULD RATHER NOT HEAR THEM & JUST NOT MY CUP OF TEA...AND I HAVE NO INTENTION OF BUYING THEM"....its not about what you want or like
Second from what I have been inform of that KV have been getting requests for broadway stuff..that is why they are putting it out
Third...all I care that all genres get the same fair shake...Pop..country...R & B..Jazz...Broadway & Showtunes..and KV is being fair ...Thank you KV

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:33 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I have absolutely no doubt there are enough requests for them - KV doesn't put out stuff unless they get the votes. Just saying those requests do NOT float over to my venue. Have NEVER ONCE had a request for these specific broadway/showtunes (or most any for that matter). If I did, i'd be glad they were available to get for the requester! I had 5 songs (all different people) I bought on request tonight
Don't Play That Song (You Lied) - Adriano Celentano
Don't You Know - Kungs ftg Jamie N Commons
I'll Follow The Sun - Beatles
Only You - Yazoo
I Feel So Bad - Kungs ftg Ephemerals (and not the same person as the 1st Kungs request).

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:36 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Broadway Show Tunes add nothing to my shows. I would rather KV make any other kinds of songs instead. I already have my fair share of Show Tunes in my library and no one hardly ever picks them to sing. Why would I buy more of them? My crowds sing mostly Classic Rock and Country music and lots of Doo Wop style songs. That's what I spend my money on. I hope KV sells tons of Broadway songs. They just won't be selling them to me. Put out a good Luke Bryan song and I'll be the first one to buy it and it'll probably get sung a few times the first week that I get it.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:18 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
Broadway Show Tunes add nothing to my shows. I would rather KV make any other kinds of songs instead.
I would agree, but again KV doesn't put out stuff just because - they need interest, it's obviously a hot point for them as far as requested songs go. Probably more home users i'd imagine over kj's are buying those tracks.