KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Changes to HELP licensing and GEM series Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:46 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
chrisavis wrote:

It isn't hosts generating the bulk of sales for KSF, SBI, Sunfly or any other online portal. It's everyday users generating the sales. Every host in the world could stop buying their karaoke music and they would all survive.

8) So if KSF, SBI, and Sunfly or any other online portal can survive with everyday users generating enough sales, why is PEP still focused on the hosts, and not tapping into this new source of revenue? Why do they keep beating a dead horse, why not try and develop their own online portal service? It would be a lot easier than beating the bushes with their legal stick hoping a host will fly out so they can shoot and bag him.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
chrisavis wrote:
It isn't hosts generating the bulk of sales for KSF, SBI, Sunfly or any other online portal. It's everyday users generating the sales. Every host in the world could stop buying their karaoke music and they would all survive.

How do you know?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:38 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
djdon wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

How do you know?

Because I just know. :)

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
chrisavis wrote:
djdon wrote:
How do you know?

No one knows what the nose knows :?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:51 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
It has been discussed a bit, but I feel like I should clarify my previous post.

When I said that PEP was 'selling' their GEM sets, I was referring to the original up front cost they charge for leasing the music.

it is not actually a sale but a lease. However PEP/Soundchoice did purchase every single set they own thru the UK legally, which means that the end user pays for the right to use the karaoke tracks on the discs for a period of five years.

If PEP wanted to, they could sell the sets outright and they would be perfectly legal to use in a show, however the minute they sold a set they would lose all control over how it was used or re-sold, which is why they opted for the lease.

You are still legally allowed to use the music that the GEM contains, but if you ever get out of the karaoke business you either have to send the discs back, or re-sell your lease to another host

The only sticking point is that Karaoke Music contains a right that is retained by the original copyright holder *like Sony or EMI* and therefor the transfer of that music/lyric display is not part of the rights that PEP owns, which means that the original copyright holder could technically go after you if they wanted to.

HOWEVER given the fact that PRO fees are payed by most venues that have karaoke *in fact here in Canada there is actually a line/calculation specifically for karaoke* the likelyhood of this happening is about the same as getting struck by lightening and winning the lottery on the same day in other words, practically non-existent.

If you wanted the GEM set and stay 100% undesputed legal, you would have to import each song into your karaoke database and swap out the discs as each song you need is played.

The other options are as mentioned 1. Get an Audit for SC and/or Chartbuster karaoke tracs 2. Use a different brand that doesn't care

hope that clarifies things

-James

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:46 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

jclaydon wrote:
It has been discussed a bit, but I feel like I should clarify my previous post.

When I said that PEP was 'selling' their GEM sets, I was referring to the original up front cost they charge for leasing the music.

it is not actually a sale but a lease. However PEP/Soundchoice did purchase every single set they own thru the UK legally, which means that the end user pays for the right to use the karaoke tracks on the discs for a period of five years.

If PEP wanted to, they could sell the sets outright and they would be perfectly legal to use in a show, however the minute they sold a set they would lose all control over how it was used or re-sold, which is why they opted for the lease.

You are still legally allowed to use the music that the GEM contains, but if you ever get out of the karaoke business you either have to send the discs back, or re-sell your lease to another host.

-James

8) This stubborn retention of their rights to whatever product they have left indicates to me that they have no intention of trying any new approach to marketing their product. If the majority of new label material is being bought by customers other than hosts, and that the companies are making profits, why hasn't PEP followed suit? Are they admitting that they can't learn new tricks?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:25 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
mrmarog wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
djdon wrote:
How do you know?

No one knows what the nose knows :?

I know.

It's not rocket science.

As long as Harrington can keep your nose(s) pressed and distracted against 1 or 2 issues and empty promises, you'll never look at the big picture.

How many of you actually believe that Slep & Harrington's organization --- after 7 years --- is going to produce anything other than lawsuits.... ever?

Sometimes I think Harrington is like the tribal laundry lady and KJ's that want to believe him are the laundry: He'll keep beating them against a rock for every dime he can clean out of them ..... And they'll just think they're getting "cleaner" and it's a good thing.

Case in point:

Ask yourself why Slep really dumped Slep-Tone Entertainment and created PEP.... If you believe Harrington's (hogwash) story, then you're part of the (ongoing) problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:38 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I smell poop again.....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:23 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

chrisavis wrote:
I smell poop again.....

8) So do I Chris, is the reason PEP can't produce new product, that they have to license or lease the product they have, because they no longer own their own material, their only product is what they have made in the past?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

chrisavis wrote:
djdon wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

How do you know?

Speaking of smelling poop...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:48 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

djdon wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
djdon wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

How do you know?

Who do you believe buys more music.....singers or KJ's?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:48 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
I smell poop again.....

8) So do I Chris, is the reason PEP can't produce new product, that they have to license or lease the product they have, because they no longer own their own material, their only product is what they have made in the past?

For (@$%&#!)'s sake, just stop. You have no idea what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:53 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
chrisavis wrote:
I smell poop again.....

Since I have Mr. Staley blocked, I can't be sure, but based on this response, I'm guessing he made something up again. Since the board administrators have made it clear that they aren't interested in enforcing the rules against him, I guess we'll just have to leave it at that. (And if they happen to wonder why we're not advertising with Karaoke Scene anymore, or sponsoring their contests, I guess they'll have their answer, too.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:57 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

More a matter of when I smell (@$%&#!), I try not to step in it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:14 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
chrisavis wrote:

if this is true, then it wasn't hosts who put SC out of business by not buying, but it was everyday users.
though i feel it is not entirely correct, most everyday users are like the ones that come to our shows...they just download what they want for free.
look through your own shows, there are more singers with more songs than any of us have at each show.
every host has a dozen or more singers at their shows (no....not all at once every day) with 200k songs and offering to give us copies so we can have their favorites. they are the ones that don't care about stealing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:49 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

if this is true, then it wasn't hosts who put SC out of business by not buying, but it was everyday users.
though i feel it is not entirely correct, most everyday users are like the ones that come to our shows...they just download what they want for free.
look through your own shows, there are more singers with more songs than any of us have at each show.
every host has a dozen or more singers at their shows (no....not all at once every day) with 200k songs and offering to give us copies so we can have their favorites. they are the ones that don't care about stealing.

8) During the last few years I was full time hosting I noticed that many singers had hard drives they had purchased with 100's of thousands of songs for around $400 to $700.00. Some of them were copying the hard drives and giving them as Christmas and Birthday gifts to other singers. It's no secret the home user has been the real abuser in the pirate story. It is sort of a love hate relation with them and the host, at least the legal one's. The host knows what's going on but the singers support his show, quite an ethical problem. We know for practical reasons it is impossible to go after the home abuser problem. That leaves the commercial host who while is still a small part of the market is the most visible target for the particular marketing approach of PEP.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:51 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
I smell poop again.....

For <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span>'s sake, just stop. You have no idea what you're talking about.

8) Sorry Jimmy didn't mean to step on your toes, when you going to try and bring your show back to California?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

chrisavis wrote:
djdon wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
djdon wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

How do you know?

Who do you believe buys more music.....singers or KJ's?

Both singers and kjs pirate and purchase music. How do I know? Because I just know.

Who do I *believe* buys more music? I'd think the numbers are pretty close. Besides you, who else says singers buy more music than kjs? Do they 'just know', too? Do you think there's some way the sellers can know who's a kj and who's not? I don't. So... how do you 'just' know?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:47 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

djdon wrote:

Both singers and kjs pirate and purchase music. How do I know? Because I just know.

Who do I *believe* buys more music? I'd think the numbers are pretty close. Besides you, who else says singers buy more music than kjs? Do they 'just know', too? Do you think there's some way the sellers can know who's a kj and who's not? I don't. So... how do you 'just' know?

Start plugging numbers into these equations to see how much more music KJ's would have to be buying to outpace all other purchasers and it becomes very plain that KJ's cannot possibly be generating the BULK of sales.

X = # of KJ's
PX = percentage of X that pays for music
A = average number of tracks per year that each PX buys
AC = average cost of a track in $

PX * A * AC = total sales in $ by KJ's

Y = # of KJ's
PY = percentage of X that pays for music
B = average number of tracks per year that each PY buys
BC = average cost of a track in $

PY * B * BC = total sales in $ by all others

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:15 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

chrisavis wrote:
djdon wrote:

Start plugging numbers into these equations to see how much more music KJ's would have to be buying to outpace all other purchasers and it becomes very plain that KJ's cannot possibly be generating the BULK of sales.

X = # of KJ's
PX = percentage of X that pays for music
A = average number of tracks per year that each PX buys
AC = average cost of a track in $

PX * A * AC = total sales in $ by KJ's

Y = # of KJ's
PY = percentage of X that pays for music
B = average number of tracks per year that each PY buys
BC = average cost of a track in $

PY * B * BC = total sales in $ by all others

Still doesn't explain who we 'think' buys more music. It also doesn't conclude that the manu's can survive without kj's purchasing their product.

So you don't have an answer.

And no. What you just posted is not an answer. It's an empty, equation with no numbers. Give me the numbers from a real source.

X= amount of money spent on music by KJs
Y= amount of money spent on music by everyone else

Those are the only numbers that matter.

Only then can you even *begin* to conclude that the manufacturers can survive without kjs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next