KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - karaoke system set up Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: karaoke system set up
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:57 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Hi everyone,
I am new here and have few questions regarding karaoke system set up.
my gear are;
behringer mixer
dbx com 1066
dbx eq 215
crown amp
I have planned to buy MX400 lexicon

could someone help to hook up them? as how to hook up dbx com, dbx eq, and mx400 for vocal. any suggestion would be appreciated.
thanks

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
What's the model of the Behringer mixer?

The EQ will hook up between the mixer's main outputs and the amp's main inputs.

The compressor and the effects unit should be hooked up through channel inserts in order to only affect the vocal channels. Depending on the mixer model you have, you may or may not have the proper routing options to hook them up, so tell us what mixer you have.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:10 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Thank you
My Behringer mixer model is 1622FX. My current set up is EQ for vocal through mixer insert. mixer output to Comp input, and Comp output to Crown amp. the reason I connect Comp to whole mix because my music does not balance all songs. I do not have MX400 yet, will buy. My vocal is seem high treble when singing louder but I could not bring it down. please advice me.
Thank you in advance

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Why do you need additional EQ on the vocal channels? There is already a four band EQ on each vocal channel. An external EQ would typically be used on the overall mix, not EQing vocals exclusively. You should be able to do all the EQing you need for each vocal channel with the 4 band EQ on each channel. If you are having trouble with your voice sounding harsh in the high frequncies, just cut the high and mid-highs a bit or possible boost the lows on your vocal channel only.

Also, compression would not typically be used on the overall mix in a live music application (only in recording). I'm not sure what you mean when you say compressing the whole mix "balances the system." Compressing the whole mix subdues valuable dynamics from the music, and uses the compressor more like a limiter.

You would want to hook your compressor up the way you have your EQ so it affected the vocal channels through the inserts bus, and put the EQ on the overall mix by inserting it between the mixer and the amps. I personally wouldn't use the external EQ at all.

You already have effects on your board, but I guess you want to improve them? You can technically connect the vocal effects in parallel with the compressor, but that's going to lead to some problems dialing in the proper settings, especially in a live karaoke application where each singer is different, so each singer really should have different settings. I have a higher-end mixer with much more flexibility of routing options, so the compressor and vocal effects could have separate controls on each channel, though I don't use a compressor and use the vocal effects on my board.

Before you buy the Lexicon unit, make sure you are using the onboard effects properly. There is no question that the effects from the Lexicon will be better than the onboard effects, but considering your lack of routing options of your mixer, it may be more trouble than it's worth to keep dialing in the settings for each singer. I'd personally hook up the compressor to the vocal channels through the inserts bus, skip on the external effects, and just use the effects you already have.

Not to discourage you, but I think you may not know how to use the tools you have, and upgrading isn't going to do you much good. You need to learn the ins and outs of gain structure and using your mixer's options. You can get much better sound with what you already have if you just learn how to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:29 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

TopherM wrote:
Why do you need additional EQ on the vocal channels? There is already a four band EQ on each vocal channel. An external EQ would typically be used on the overall mix, not EQing vocals exclusively. You should be able to do all the EQing you need for each vocal channel with the 4 band EQ on each channel. If you are having trouble with your voice sounding harsh in the high frequncies, just cut the high and mid-highs a bit or possible boost the lows on your vocal channel only.

Also, compression would not typically be used on the overall mix in a live music application (only in recording). I'm not sure what you mean when you say compressing the whole mix "balances the system." Compressing the whole mix subdues valuable dynamics from the music, and uses the compressor more like a limiter.

You would want to hook your compressor up the way you have your EQ so it affected the vocal channels through the inserts bus, and put the EQ on the overall mix by inserting it between the mixer and the amps. I personally wouldn't use the external EQ at all.

You already have effects on your board, but I guess you want to improve them? You can technically connect the vocal effects in parallel with the compressor, but that's going to lead to some problems dialing in the proper settings, especially in a live karaoke application where each singer is different, so each singer really should have different settings. I have a higher-end mixer with much more flexibility of routing options, so the compressor and vocal effects could have separate controls on each channel, though I don't use a compressor and use the vocal effects on my board.

Before you buy the Lexicon unit, make sure you are using the onboard effects properly. There is no question that the effects from the Lexicon will be better than the onboard effects, but considering your lack of routing options of your mixer, it may be more trouble than it's worth to keep dialing in the settings for each singer. I'd personally hook up the compressor to the vocal channels through the inserts bus, skip on the external effects, and just use the effects you already have.

Not to discourage you, but I think you may not know how to use the tools you have, and upgrading isn't going to do you much good. You need to learn the ins and outs of gain structure and using your mixer's options. You can get much better sound with what you already have if you just learn how to use it.

Hi, First thank you for your time to give me the advice, as I mentioned I am new and learning how to use music tools system.
I followed your instructions on my gears connection. I have wonder about TC Helicon hooks up. could you let me know if I am correct? I connect MIC output to TC input and TC output L&R to Mixer Mic channel 1&2 and PAN Mic channel1 to left and PAN Mic channel2 to right, then insert 1(Mic channel1) to Comp left channel and insert 2(Mic channel2) to Comp right channel. MY mixer is Bheringer 1622FX
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:13 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
The TC should have a mono output option in the settings. Actually, mine has a wet on one side and dry on the other. I leave mine in that configuration and use the wet as my output. Bringing the same mic signal into two channels doesn't serve much of a purpose other than taking up an extra channel and having to adjust two channels instead of one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:03 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

MrBoo wrote:
The TC should have a mono output option in the settings. Actually, mine has a wet on one side and dry on the other. I leave mine in that configuration and use the wet as my output. Bringing the same mic signal into two channels doesn't serve much of a purpose other than taking up an extra channel and having to adjust two channels instead of one.

Hi,
I will try this connection.
Is anyone using TC Helicon Voicelive play for karaoke? I just have it and test out by picking preset and tune it, but I did not get what I want....Could someone give me basis setup? I know it is hard because each system has different set up and singers, but just for reference. I watched video of Graig's corner from TC how to use it, but as I said could not make any different when selecting different preset.
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:29 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

This is not an easy device to set up. You can't have something where the options are almost limitless and also have it easy to configure. Having said that, you should be able to select a preset, turn modules on\off and realize a difference.

Make sure your output is wet and you are plugged into the proper output
Make sure you do not have the effects by-pass enabled
Make sure you have modules turned on.. But that should happen when you change presets. Keep in mind that presets are saved with certain modules turned on and certain modules are turned off as a default, but the other modules have been customized for that preset as well.
Example, you change to a preset that has echo turned off. When you turn it on you will see that the echo has been customized for that preset. If you like that sound, you can save it to another preset number with the echo turned on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:55 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

I just checked out the voice live play and I see this guy has a built in mic to sense music for harms! That is really cool... This unit operates a little differently than my Rack does but the options for presets are probably pretty close.