KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - A WTF month. Anyone else? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:31 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Despite the fact that I am a karaoke god :-) , July & August are usually fairly sporadic (read crappy) months for private events. Not this year. July will end up being a 10K+ month, though most of the events are extremely short notice.

Anyone else running into this, and can anyone offer a theory? I wouldn't mind duplicating next year, and would target that if I knew the WHY.

Anyone?

" Disc based and loving it..."

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:18 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I just want my CAKE!!!!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
I just want my CAKE!!!!

There's cake?? I want a piece!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:12 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
I didn't get mine :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:08 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
You're the karaoke God. Nothing else to be said. <TIC>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Man, this thread’s gone way down south. No one to blame but Product19 who started this whole cake hullabaloo. Uhmm, maybe one more entry? Wouldn’t hurt, right? :biggrinthumb: Sorry, Joe, I must profess my guilt.

Attachments:
cake.png
cake.png [ 483.89 KiB | Viewed 13176 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:58 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Don't even think of posting about "Yellow Cake", or the Homeland Security boys will be up your rear..

(Component of Nukes) :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
jdmeister wrote:
Don't even think of posting about "Yellow Cake", or the Homeland Security boys will be up your rear..

I don't want ANYONE up my rear, thanks!!! And I would rather have ice cream cake.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
jdmeister wrote:

I don't want ANYONE up my rear, thanks!!! And I would rather have ice cream cake.

There's Ice Cream Cake?? I want a piece!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
Hi Joe,

Glad you are having a great month. I too am working on a very good revenue month (not just karaoke shows) including several large private events and several weddings that generate huge revenues for me. The weddings I booked earlier in this year and the 2 private parties were booked in the last 60 days. I will not exceed 10k but will get very close to that. Life is good! For the last several years, my July and August have pretty much been steady booking months and I am usually turning away work so i can take some down time and get out of town for a few days.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:36 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Now that I think about it, I had a WTF Period back in Nov/Dec of last year. I left my day job and intended to somewhat slowly build up the number of shows. We doubled our number of shows in about 45 days and I had to put the brakes on the ensure we could manage all of it. I have had to turn down 14 additional regular weekly nights since then and it really bothers me to do so because pirates are taking those shows.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:21 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

rumbolt wrote:
Hi Joe,

Glad you are having a great month. I too am working on a very good revenue month (not just karaoke shows) including several large private events and several weddings that generate huge revenues for me. The weddings I booked earlier in this year and the 2 private parties were booked in the last 60 days. I will not exceed 10k but will get very close to that. Life is good! For the last several years, my July and August have pretty much been steady booking months and I am usually turning away work so i can take some down time and get out of town for a few days.

Now we're talking... Did you do anything specific to generate the summer work? I should mention that my entire July is all about "no reason " parties booked with less than a week or two notice, with the exception of 3 repeat corporates.

I would like to be able to do the same next year.

So, any extra hints to share?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
JoeChartreuse wrote:
rumbolt wrote:
Hi Joe,

Now we're talking... Did you do anything specific to generate the summer work? I should mention that my entire July is all about "no reason " parties booked with less than a week or two notice, with the exception of 3 repeat corporates.

I would like to be able to do the same next year.

So, any extra hints to share?

I guess the reason my July has been good is because of my reputation and the referrals I continue to get from past and present clients. To help account for the high revenue, I price my private parties much like I price my weddings, I don't give my work away and usually bring the very same sound equipment I would bring to a wedding reception. My logic, same setup/tear down time (as a wedding) and the same hosting skills I bring to a wedding. Don't be afraid to ask your price and then shut up and stop selling at that point. Most djs keep talking and unknown to them they will talk the client out of the gig trying to validate the price they are asking. If you do the process correctly, prior to giving your price out you will (or should) have already promoted the value of your client doing business with you. It's all int the sales game. Hint: your clients don't care what brand speaker or mixer you use and suggesting you have a gizillion songs should never be a hiring point. If asked about the number of songs i have, my usual response is something like "I will play a great selection of song to insure you and your guest have a great time" I sell fun, never never gear! Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:24 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Not really, as we share pricing attitude. I was wondering if you did any extra promotion or additions to presence this year.

The weird thing is, SC actually forced my public promotions down this year ( most of my venues no longer allow public promotion thanks to SC, only direct). Of course this has no bearing on my own business promotion, but that has remained at a high constant. However it does limit exposure in the public venues by some degree. Not enough to hurt me, but no extra help for privates either. Yes, word of mouth hit big time this year, and I'll get repeats next year, but where do I target for NEW Private work for a normally slower summer season?

I mean, Iknow next summer will be up because of this summer, but always looking for new direction.