KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Who sets the general mood and tone at a Karaoke Show? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Who sets the general mood and tone at a Karaoke Show?
Poll ended at Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:30 am
The KJ 22%  22%  [ 7 ]
The Singers 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
A combination of both KJ and Singers 66%  66%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 32
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 31 times
Lonman wrote:
jclaydon wrote:
"No, i want to sing this song. it means a lot to me. It was my mom's favourite.. She died yesterday"
Along with the presong dedication over the mic that seems to take forever.

Now, some might look on this as a 'mood killer', but then again, it might just be an opportunity to bring a poignant moment to the show. Be bold, get out of your comfort zone. "I'm sorry to hear that... would you mind if I ask what happened? Can you tell me a few special things about your mom?"

Now, work the mic... put on an appropriate backing track and do a little lead in to the singer's dedication. Be real... if you aren't genuine, this won't work. Tell the story... be brief.... now you've done a few things.. you done a set up, influenced emotion was a track YOU choose, and set an example for the singer to follow... Boom... they go into it, they sing the song, and everyone is part of it.

Now, what you do next will determine whether this is a show killer or not. I'm not above asking a regular to sing a different song from the repertoire in order to keep things 'up'... and my regulars are usually quite eager to 'help out'.

THIS is really the thing a host does. Rolls with the punches, and finds a way to make it work. Does it always work? Of course not.... but if you're good, it works most of the time.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:48 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
karaoke koyote wrote:
Let me break it down for you. Your crowd consists of a bar hag, who's barely able to hold on to her beer, much less a microphone, 5 biker dudes that are pissed off at you that you won't keep playing Metallica every song, and a couple of rednecks who are loud, drunk, and obnoxious, and primarily want to get on the microphone to do shoutouts to their buddies and cuss.

Now.... you go right ahead and 'put your foot down.' lol

If that were my bar......I would quit. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:42 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
karaoke koyote wrote:
Let me break it down for you. Your crowd consists of a bar hag, who's barely able to hold on to her beer, much less a microphone, 5 biker dudes that are pissed off at you that you won't keep playing Metallica every song, and a couple of rednecks who are loud, drunk, and obnoxious, and primarily want to get on the microphone to do shoutouts to their buddies and cuss.

The Metallica songs wouldn't be an issue, if they want to sing em, I got em.
However, if that was the only clientele I could draw, then I'm not doing my job & would step down! It's when I can draw a regular crowd to where those handful are a minority is when I'm doing my job.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Lonman wrote:
However, if that was the only clientele I could draw, then I'm not doing my job & would step down! It's when I can draw a regular crowd to where those handful are a minority is when I'm doing my job.

Are they drinking, and making money for the bar?? Yes? Mission accomplished. I would take a HUGE bar FULL of alcohol purchasing Metal Heads over a bar full of alcohol purchasing Hip hop fans, any day. Not that I discourage hip hop, just talking about my personal preference. That being said, I wouldn't want to sing Metallica all night, cause I would lose the ability to talk after a few songs. That raspy thing bothers my throat after a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:46 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:
Are they drinking, and making money for the bar?? Yes? Mission accomplished. I would take a HUGE bar FULL of alcohol purchasing Metal Heads over a bar full of alcohol purchasing Hip hop fans, any day. Not that I discourage hip hop, just talking about my personal preference. That being said, I wouldn't want to sing Metallica all night, cause I would lose the ability to talk after a few songs. That raspy thing bothers my throat after a while.
You are missing my point. Again I would be all for the metal, that I don't mind a bit. What I was saying is in the example there were only about 10 people total:
Your crowd consists of a bar hag, who's barely able to hold on to her beer, much less a microphone, 5 biker dudes that are pissed off at you that you won't keep playing Metallica every song, and a couple of rednecks who are loud, drunk, and obnoxious, and primarily want to get on the microphone to do shoutouts to their buddies and cuss
This is what I was talking about. If I am not getting more crowd than this - it wouldn't be worth it for me nor the bar to continue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:07 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Product 19 wrote:
Lonman wrote:
Product 19 wrote:
yall gonna have to break it down to me how anyone but the KJ sets the general mood & ton.

A kj can only do so much. You can coax and direct the crowd only so much, but on the rare occasion they do not want to get into the coax'ing, then even the best kj isn't going to change that. So the crowd plays just as much of a role (if not more IMO) that a good kj can do.

i respect you a lot. but i still don't get it. and folks will just have to shrug and give up on me

i say to the crowd once in awhile "i'm partying with or without you" and i mean it. i don't even need the whole crowd, i'll get a few followers to tag along and we'll party. the crowd can catch up to us when they're ready is my motto.

i can't grasp how a KJ can only do so much. i'll do unorthodox things to get things moving. i don't care if i have to go out of pocket. i don't care if it doesn't make sense. i don't pause just because nobody's done it. i don't ever feel any night is a hopeless cause. i'm a sheer optimist when it comes to KJaying.

ok. so i was recommended to a spot to be their weekly karaoke guy. monday nights. rough. did it for about 2 months and they dropped us. maybe we had a total of a dozen singers during my 2 month run. place was always 85% empty. they needed a boost, don't know if karaoke is the answer. those were hopeless nights--bad location, i'm not the right KJ for it, blah, blah.

but it's on me. i didn't, but i could pull some unorthodox things to turn it around. may have to dig in my pockets. think outside of the box. it's never hopeless, to me. if the crowd isn't there, make a crowd. nobody says i have to use their crowd or please their crowd. i can bring in my own. i can pay my own to be there, who cares, i'll make the money back. and crowds run dry. things change. people move. but the KJ is the only constant. i can't see sharing success with the crowd or with anything.

It's not about you having fun, it's about the crowd having fun and if they are feeling a different kind of fun than you then there is nothing you can do except adjust to their level of fun.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:28 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

And you can only pay your crowd to be there so long before it's not profitable. Also it would be a sad situation if you had to in fact PAY anyone to be your crowd for the night, if you are that good, they would be there - unless the bar atmosphere just sucks, and in that case I probably wouldn't take that show to begin with. You can kind of get a feel for places that might work vs those that flat out suck or are too small to make it worth while.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 31 times
Lonman wrote:
karaoke koyote wrote:

Well, I didn't quit, I'm a bit stubborn that way. Drawing a crowd is a two way street. People my like you, but not the venue, and it might take time to convince them to take the chance, especially given the scenario above.

However, over time, I was able to win over the biker dudes, even get them to SING some Metallica rather than me just playing it, and gain a pretty good following. I was there until the bar closed for a bit due to changing hands.

But the point of the thread was KJ versus Crowd setting the mood of the place, not how to draw a crowd to a challenging venue.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:23 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Lonman wrote:
And you can only pay your crowd to be there so long before it's not profitable.

There a few people I would pay to NOT sing or not come in at all!! It would probably raise profits!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:40 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
War Pigs can be a killer song!

Depends on who's singing it...and at what part of the evening and the makeup of the crowd.

(I have two singers who kill it, I have an older crowd that loves it and I won't let anyone sing that before 11pm or so.)

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile