KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Biggest pet peeve hosting a show... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:49 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 126 times
The venue is packed and you have 25+ singers in the line up and Mr Undecided comes up and says he doesnt want to sing the song he put in originally. You try being patient and ask him what the new song is and he says he's not sure. As he ponders his options you see other singers making eye contact with you and him wondering what's going on. You ask him again with a little more urgency in your voice and he wants to see a book. You kindly tell him
that you need to move on with rotation and he can come back when he has a song chosen to which he says I'll just go with the original song.
I don't mind changing someone's song but to hold up an entire show like that is very nerve racking.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Quote:
The venue is packed and you have 25+ singers in the line up and Mr Undecided comes up and says he doesnt want to sing the song he put in originally. You try being patient and ask him what the new song is and he says he's not sure. As he ponders his options you see other singers making eye contact with you and him wondering what's going on. You ask him again with a little more urgency in your voice and he wants to see a book. You kindly tell him
that you need to move on with rotation and he can come back when he has a song chosen to which he says I'll just go with the original song.
I don't mind changing someone's song but to hold up an entire show like that is very nerve racking.

My rules are: no song changes once you are on the stage unless it was MY fault. If your cd skips or won't play, I will call the next singer up and when you find another song you will be next.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I'll allow a last minute song change IF they know what they want and do not have to ponder it. Often times the change is in response to the previous song - maybe a lot of dancers or a higher energy flow and they don't want to drag it down, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:34 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 10 times
As a participant (not host), I bring up the 1st song request and wait to sing. Once I'm called, I have my next request ready and exchange my request slip for the mic. That way, if the KJ is doing an old school paper slip rotation lists, he won't be overwhelmed and just slides the new slip into the bottom of the order.
Unfortunately, I have to bring 3-4 discs with me when I sing because my collection is better than most of the KJ set ups around here. Southwestern Ohio is on a serious Karaoke slide right now. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:48 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 12 times
I've seen a lot of people who either A: Underestimate their own skills as a rapper or B: Simply don't know the song as well as they think. This bugs me to no end. Most rap and hip-hop doesn't really have much in the way of chord changes, choruses, bridges, etc., so once somebody gets off, it very boring watching him stare at the prompter and try to remember how it goes. Verses tend to be long, and without chords, it's hard to get back on track.

Then they come in @ the hook like a star...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:09 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 64 times
crazyface wrote:
Punters who bring their own CD's. These are sometimes scratched and jump about after about 2 minutes. Then the punter will say oh er can I have xxxx instead. :angry:

When I was using disc..I had several bring cds..which I inform them I didn't allow..now everything is computer so I don't have to worry about besides its in the rules " we don't play partons cds..havent had a problem since

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:14 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
Jasaoke wrote:
I've seen a lot of people who either A: Underestimate their own skills as a rapper or B: Simply don't know the song as well as they think.

Exactly.

"I like big butts and I cannot lie!"....(insert three minutes of awful mumbling)..."My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun!"

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:40 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
crazyface wrote:
Punters who bring their own CD's. These are sometimes scratched and jump about after about 2 minutes.

Whenever I receive a disc from a Singer (regardless of whether it is an Original or a Burn), I examine the disc to see if it's all scratched up or worse before using it. If I think the disc will not be playable in my machine, I will bring it back to that person and explain why.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:15 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

"Baby Got Back" is usually the song that they request for me to do cause I'm one of the few people, white or otherwise, that can actually do all the lyrics.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Quote:

LOL....I get this all the time, and had one especially bad one on Wednesday night. When he made his request, he told me how good of a rapper he was, and this song was his specialty. I told him he'd be about 20 minutes, as he was 5th in the rotation, but that didn't stop him from coming up after every song to ask how much longer, because everyone "had to hear him."

He finally gets up, misses the start of the vocal altogether and asks me to start it over. The second time through, it sounded something like this:

"mmmm...yeah....uh.....mmmmmmm....yeah....yeah.....uh....mmmmmm....yeah.....mmmm...yeah....uh.....mmmmmmm....yeah....yeah.....uh....mmmmmm....yeah.....mmmm...yeah....uh.....mmmmmmm....yeah....yeah.....uh....mmmmmm....yeah.....ROLLING DOWN THE STREET SMOKING INDO, SIPPING ON GIN AND JUICE, LAID BACK, WITH MY MIND ON MY MONEY AND MY MONEY ON MY MIND."

I'll let you figure out how the second and third verses went.

BTW, I had a singer about 15 minutes later do "Paul Revere" by the Beastie Boys, and this same guy from earlier actually came up and wrestled the mic away from the singer, so I had to jump out and wrestle it back away from him to give back to the singer, and that was the end of that guy's karaoke night! He yelled that he won't be coming back on his way out the door :bawling:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
For some reason, my biggest peeve is the overly picky singer.

The Overly Picky Singer is the one who makes a ton of requests. What version is that? Can you turn my mic up? Can you start that over? Can we try a different version?

And then, when the performance is sub par, they blame you, or the song.

I don't mind picky if the results are good. But the pickiest singers are usually average (at best) in singing ability.

Sometimes I wanna scream (as they ask a million questions while someone is 10' away trying to sing) "YOU CAN'T F'ING SING ANYWAYS! - QUIT BEING SO PICKY!!!"

A good singer usually has such a great voice that the music, the version etc are all secondary.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:24 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I agree. The bigger the build, the more the disappointment. I've only had 1 Diva match her own hype, but she was simply too obnoxious (to myself & the other singers). I gave her the choice to find a big bucket of humility or find another venue. Besides, she only ordered water when she came out and never tipped - BIG NO-NO!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:09 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
My biggest pet peeve is people singing A-Game songs that are only capable of bringing their C, D, or F game....

-Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:17 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
Griffon wrote:
As a participant (not host), I bring up the 1st song request and wait to sing. Once I'm called, I have my next request ready and exchange my request slip for the mic. That way, if the KJ is doing an old school paper slip rotation lists, he won't be overwhelmed and just slides the new slip into the bottom of the order.
Unfortunately, I have to bring 3-4 discs with me when I sing because my collection is better than most of the KJ set ups around here. Southwestern Ohio is on a serious Karaoke slide right now. :(

Agreed -- nowhere near as many shows.

Whereabouts are you? I live just over the border in Indiana and often go to shows in Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Fairfield.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:31 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
chrisavis wrote:
My biggest pet peeve is people singing A-Game songs that are only capable of bringing their C, D, or F game....
-Chris

That video is hilarious!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:26 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Location: Macclesfield, ENGLAND Why won't the USA let honest people in?
Been Liked: 13 times
Ooo oo can I add another one? Just when things are warming up nicely and you think you've got a great night on your hands, some asks for a show killer, and everything goes flat! Yes I know I could say that I don't have it but I'm crap at lying.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:34 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
chrisavis wrote:

-Chris

LOVE The Onion! Satire at its finest!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 224 times
The spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend who acts as the "manager", brings the song requests up, tells you the version they need, and then either coaches them or criticizes you the whole song. It's just a little weird and I've seen it more than once.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
i got one the other night..... ughhhhhh

so I put up a guy to sing, get him started and his girlfriend comes up and says:

"can't you make him sound better than that, he's a really good singer!"

I wanted to say there is no help for some people, but i'm not that bad...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:42 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I had a singer that everytime she came to one of my bar shows, when I had one, would consistantly come to me when she came in to tell me "you know what I sing, put one up for me."
Needless to say that even after pleading with her to choose a song, she would leave me with having to go through her song history and pick one. She gets up and says" that isn't what I want to sing." when it's her turn.

Thank God, even though she is a member of the club, she hasn't chosen to attend the karaoke nights that the Non profit club I do have.